360 MINI Strobe Concept

360 MINI

These are some concept designs for a long awaited cordless version of the popular compact AD360II / Streaklight strobes.

Based on my original concept of using the smaller Godox bayonet modifier mount directly on the strobe, which would also allow the strobe to slide inside a larger Bowen’s S-type bracket when required.

Now updated to reflect the recent 600 PRO design, the compact 360Ws unit would basically be a miniature scaled down version of the 600 PRO. Similar in size to the AD200, though more of a squared off cylinder style body profile.

With a miniature version of the AD600 horseshoe shaped flash tube used, an LED modelling light could also be provided in the center.

360 MINI Concept

A streamline mini reflector would then be available.

As well as Fresnel lens caps which clip on the front of the supplied reflector (instead of separate modular Fresnel head units like the AD200 uses).

Magnetic gels and grids etc could then be quickly and easily stacked on top as well.

360 MINI Concept

Ideally the 360 Mini would have an alloy base plate with a number of 1/4″ 20 threaded mounting holes.

And the alloy base attached to the metal Godox modifier mount, which would provide solid support for modifiers attached directly to the strobe.

Therefore much more robust than the AD360II, or AD200 modifier mounts, and a more solid unit all round.

With an optional Bowens S-type bracket the complete unit is still considerably smaller than the AD600 / PRO.

360 MINI Concept

The battery is attached to the rear of the strobe like the AD600 / PRO, so that larger capacity batteries can also be attached.

Or a cord attached to mount the battery remotely from the strobe when preferred.

A corded remote head could possibly be made available allowing two 360 Mini strobes to be attached.

EVOLV 200 / AD200 MINI PRO HEAD

A corresponding modular Mini PRO head attachment could be made for the current AD200 as well.

A metal base plate could extend slightly under the strobe body, providing a solid mount and connection from light stand to modifier, with no stress placed on the AD200 flash body or head connection then.

This would now provide a modelling light when using the bare bulb head.

AD200 Mini PRO Heads

1. TTTPhotography 5 months ago

Amazing concepts. I really wish Godox listened to you guys and make this. I have a feeling they are working on AD360/AD400 refresh.

This would be perfect for wedding and event photographer for light, portable and powerful enough for most use. I would consider selling one AD200 and get one of these.

2. Martin 5 months ago

Concept looks good and I like the idea of a solid adaptable mounting plate and the bracket for heavier modifiers. My only comment is about the fresnel attachment which would ideally be zoomable somehow to move the lens closer to and further away from the light source to spot and flood the light. Also with regards to the fresnel attachment as the LED cob and the flash tube are not in exactly the same place then what you see with the LED modelling light is not what you would get using the flash tube.

3. Paul R. 5 months ago

Yes, please lets have that Bowens mount just built in.

And also, let’s make it tough as nails. It’s been a long time since I’ve dropped a light, but it can happen.

The trend forward is replace not repair, which is really expensive.

Let’s make tough battery powered lights so we can go out there and not have to baby our gear.

4. Heiko Kanzler 5 months ago

While really(!) loving your designs from the past, I personally think that, from a product managers view, an updated AD360 will not make sense if following your designs.

The AD200 with AD-B2 does exactly fill the gap that you tried to design here – so it simply doesn’t exist. Even with having a higher priced flash then (two AD200 vs. one AD360) the upside of the the design (no battery pack, no cables) are beneficial.

The AD360 with his current “Speedlite” housing is exactly what the product is aimed for and Profoto is doing with the A1: a strong ON CAMERA flash design.

• Al Bailey 5 months ago

I agree with Heiko Kanzler, Godox should keep the form factor of the AD360II but add an internal battery. I currently have an AD360II and the one thing I would like is an internal battery. Even if Godox has to reduce the power to 300ws it would be worth it to me.

Just like the cordless AD360, we have been harassing Godox to update the on camera master speedlites for a number of years. Its only that we are getting to the point of the lifecycle in the existing products that they may actually start doing something soon though.

The problem with the AD360II in its current format is that they are far to heavy to mount directly on the camera. So I’m sure Godox would not do something in the same format again.

For an on camera flash to be more powerful than the average speedlites they are either going to be like the AD180, with external battery pack, or a pack and head like the Profot B2.

So I don’t think there is any chance we will see more AD360II style strobes. Once we get the Flashpoint transmitter done though, I will be harassing them with A1, and B2 like concepts for master flashes, (if they are not onto something already themselves by then).

• Ulysses Ashton 5 months ago

>> I will be harassing them with A1, and B2 like concepts for master flashes. <<

PLEASE DO harass them about this, Elv!!!

5. Andy 5 months ago

Your previous concept didn’t make any sense to me as it was essentially the same size as the AD600 pro

This design is excellent.

All I ever need on location is the 360w heads.

If this design also had the option for AC power then it’s the perfect light.

Hi Andy,

The 360 PRO concept would be more compact than they may seem to be in the images.

They are different strobes in any case though, and both would have their purpose and market. The 360 PRO would be similar to the 600 PRO, having 38W LED modelling light, fan cooled, faster recycle times, and color consistency mode etc. So all round higher performing than the 360 MINI (or AD200), though at the cost of some extra size and weight.

Even regardless of the performance differences though, some people just prefer the simple all in one strobe design with full size Bowen’s mount and solid swivel mount built in. They would prefer not to mess around with separate brackets and mounts etc when they always use the Bowens mount anyway. And having all the accessories compatible with their 600 PRO would make a very practical and convenient system.

Where for others like yourself the option of having the strobe much more compact when used with umbrellas or smaller softboxes etc mounted directly is a big advantage.

These and the AD200 twin bracket, and AD360II, all overlap to some degree, though they all have some distinctive qualities, advantages and disadvantages to exist alongside each other. Of the 4 I think the AD360II are the only ones that will struggle to keep selling, I hope Godox do keep them available though.

6. JUNIOR SANTANA 5 months ago

I UNDERSTAND THAT THE STROBES BETWEEN 360WS AND 400WS ARE IDEAL IN TODAY’S DAYS, POWER PORTABILITY AND PRICE, THESE NEW CONCEPTS ARE PERFECT IN MY UNDERSTANDING. I WOULD LIKE GODOX TO HEAR THESE PLANS.

7. Paul 5 months ago

I like this design and the emphasis on keeping it compact and light. People need to remember that there is a double benefit to saving weight on a monolight- you can also use a lighter stand so you essentially double the weight saving in what you carry. The 38 watt LED modeling light is also key in your proposed design and the the new 600 they just announced. You really need something like a 200-500 watt tungsten equivalent for a modeling light to be useful with soft boxes or modifiers, otherwise its just too dim to see. I wish Godox would update the AD-B2 with the same high power LED.

• Paul 5 months ago

I just notices the AD-B2 has two 20 watt LEDs, so that is equivalent.

Hi Paul,

They are 2 x 10 watt LED’s in the AD-B2, so 20 watt total. Though total they are still only half the power of the 20 watt LED in the Jinbei / RT 610 strobes for example.

I have added a corresponding AD200 Mini PRO head attachment concept to the end of the post.

• Paul 5 months ago

I like where you’re going with that, especially if it keeps the 38 watt LED. Of course, this will diminish battery life if used for long periods. But that’s where swap-able batteries come in. People have to remember that clean higher ISO capabilities of full frame cameras translate directly to lower power requirements on flashes for the same results. If today’s ISO 1600 is as clean as ISO 400 in a four year old camera, then what used to require an 800 WS flash can now be done with 200 WS.

Unfortunately I don’t think the Mini 200 or 360 could provide the 38 watt LED light at this stage. Maybe 10 to 20 watts with a small fan included. That’s far better than no LED in the current situation though.

That’s why I was suggesting 360 PRO option as well.

Its easy to draw pictures, though I am trying to be mindful of what is going to work in reality, (based on things already available we know works).

9. david 5 months ago

If all you’re looking for is a AD360, I’d look into SMDV Briht-360. I have one and love it. I used to have a Flashpoint 360 light and Briht is so much faster and easier to use on a fast-paced wedding day and has a modeling light that I use for focusing in dark spaces. Plus, you get great customer service from Legio Photo (USA reseller). I’m not in any way associated with them and paid a full price for the light and modifiers.

Hi David,

Thanks, yes SMDV are leading the way here. The problem is many people want to use the Godox radio system due to their larger overall flash system.

Godox do also at least have some on-camera master speedlites available. SMDV etc could get a head if they could provide a more refined option though.

• david 5 months ago

Yes, that’s why I mentioned if all you’re looking for is to get an equivalent of AD 360, but much better. I’m hoping SMDV will release some sort of a solution for speedlites and more powerful strobes. After all, it looks like Rime Lite’s new trigger is the same as SMDV’s. They probably developed it together. Maybe Rime Lite strobes can already work with SMDV’s, I just don’t know.
        I also noticed that in SMDV trade show marketing materials, they frequently mount their modifiers on Rime Lite strobes. Really hope to see them partner up on everything and have another complete lighting solution competitor on the market.

10. david brown 5 months ago

i would like to see an option to run a bit larger tube with a modeling light on the ad200. like a 250 watt tube.

• John Wilson 5 months ago

Hi David!

Putting a higher capacity tube on the AD200 won’t get you any more power. A tube capable of handling 250Ws is still only going to give you 200Ws because that’s all the body of the strobe will supply.

I’d like to have a version of the AD-B2 with the AD600 PRO mount (like the illustration above) with an AD600 Pro bulb with two 200Ws tubes in it and a modeling led behind it. I doubt I’ll ever get one, though 🙂

• david brown 5 months ago

this guy is saying the ad360 bulb is working in the ad200 with a higher light out put….

• John Wilson 5 months ago

Yes – I watched that video when he first posted it. Several other people have put an AD360 bulb in the centre socket (you can just push it in if you use enough force) Nobody else to my knowledge had been able to reproduce the same result. The just see 200Ws.

This is unsurprising. The max power of a light like this is controlled by the amount of energy stored in the capacitor. An IGBT flash like the AD200 always full charges the capacitor and then cuts off the discharge from the capacitor at low power but at the highest power it lets the whole of the charge flow to the discharge tube. Putting another type of bulb in the socket doesn’t change the amount of energy in the capacitor.

If the different bulb was more efficient in turning the electrical charge into light then you would see an increase in power. To get a one stop increase the efficiency would have to double – this is not credible. If the AD360 bulb was that efficient then if you dialed the AD360 down to 200Ws it would be twice as bright as the AD200 and that’s not so.

I do get 0.3 stops difference from the original AD360 bulbs to the AD360II (used in either flash). So maybe that possibly has something to do with his results. I haven’t seen this before, so never considered modifying an AD200 twin head bracket to try this.

( This guy is like the ghosthunter of the strobist world 🙂 )

• John Wilson 5 months ago

Yes I can imagine getting different performance from different bulbs (an old bulb may well be less efficient than a new one, for example). If there’s a design change then the spread pattern may change and the new design may be marginally more efficient.

There’s also the issue of how the measurement is done. The AD200 and AD360 bulbs differ in size. If you are using a reflector then there will be a change in their apparent position in the reflector which will change the focus of the beam.

Reading his response to the comments he seems to be implying that the capacitor in the AD200 is larger than it needs to be and that he has somehow fooled the device into using the full power by some magic in the AD-B2.

He seems perfectly sincere but the fact that nobody has reproduced his result leads me to conclude that he’s mistaken.

11. Ricardo 5 months ago

These could be fantastic for wedding photographers. I thought the AD200s were already fantastic but power could be an issue. For both brightness and number of shots. These would also be much more stackable in a fairly average roller-camera bag. Probably 4 of these in a small bottom portion of the bag. I think 360Pros would come in handy if you needed speed as well.

Loving the modularity and consistent design of all these concepts and true-to-life systems. Hopefully we’ll see these from Godox!

• Ricardo 5 months ago

One thing I would like to add to several of these systems is a white-frosted or even clear plastic cap that can be used to provide an additional level of protection for the bulb. With these two features you could better fill the interior of modifiers….

12. david brown 5 months ago

the ad200 pro head concept looks great.

13. Ed White 2 months ago

Personally, I would like to see a lighter, portable solution from Godox similar to the Profoto B2. Like the B2, the 360iii would continue to use a portable power pack, but the re-designed head would be lightweight and still retain the current power that it produces. An added modeling light wouldn’t be a bad idea either, but I’d be fine without it.

14. THIEN 2 months ago

Flashhavoc – do you know if Godox is working on all in one AD360/400?

Hi THIEN,

I don’t know exactly, and if I asked for a definitive answer I likely wouldn’t be able to say as much as I am now.

I think the vibe has at least changed from more of a definite no (as it has been for some years previously), to more of a we’re looking into it.

I think Godox understand though the aim is to be compact and lightweight, so at best its likely going to take some thought and development, so I wouldn’t be expecting anything to appear particularly soon in any case.