Canon has announced an upgrade to their flagship 600EX-RT Speedlite, as well as a new 8 cell AA external battery pack.
The new 600EX II-RT speedlite provides up to 2 x faster continuous burst rates, and improved heat protection buffer.
As well as an improved Quick Fire mode on partial recycle, a faster interface and menu system, and new hard gels and diffuser cover.
The 600EX II-RT provides the same functions, and Radio and Optical Wireless modes as its predecessor, as well as the same respectable guide number 60m (ISO100).
Though with the increasingly fast 1DX MKII camera now available, Canon have focused on improving the continuous burst rate of the 600EX II-RT to minimize unfired flashes.
The 600EX II-RT provides speed gains of 1.1 to 1.5x self-powered, and 1.5 to 2.0x when used with the optional Compact Battery Pack CP-E4N.
While heat protection is improved with a combination of highly heat-resistant material, a revised optical design for suppressing gain in the panel’s temperature, and a redesigned interior structure.
An improved flash control algorithm, and a redesigned Quick Flash function, allowing the flash to fire even when it is not fully recharged, also help to minimize unfired flashes in continuous operation.
The 600EX II-RT also provides the faster more intuitive menu system and button press interface, now consistent with the recent 430EX III-RT.
CANON 600EX II-RT FEATURES
- Guide Number (GN) 60 Metres at ISO 100 and 200mm
- HSS to 1/8000th
- Flash Mode – ETTL II /M / Multi
- 1st Curtain Sync / 2nd Curtain Sync
- FEC – 1/3rd Increments
- Manual Flash – 1/128 – 1/1 Output Control (1/3rd increments)
- 20-200mm Auto and Manual Flash Zoom
- 2.4GHz RT Radio Master and Slave Modes
- Canon Optic Wireless Slave Mode
- Recycle Time – Normal Flash – 0.1 – 5.5 Sec, Quick Flash – 0.1 – 3.3 Sec
- Flash Groups – Radio A/B/C/D/E, Optic A/B/C
- Channels – Radio 1 – 15, Optic 1 – 4
- 15 Custom Functions, 6 Personal Functions
- Sound Prompt
- Heat Protection
- LCD Back Light
- Crop Sensor Auto Zoom Option
- AF Assist Light
- Head Tilt 90 / -7 Degrees, Swivel 180 Degrees Left & Right
- Tilt Swivel Lock Button
- Large Dot Matrix LCD Screen
- Bounce Card & Wide Angle Diffuser
- Fast Clamping Foot
- External HV Battery Port
- PC Sync Port
- 2.5mm Port
- Weather Sealing
Additional Speedlite 600EX II-RT flash features include:
- Zoom flash head covers wide focal length range of 20–200mm; maximum guide number is 197 ft./60m at ISO 100, making the Speedlite 600EX II-RT flash the most powerful flash unit in the EOS system.
- Wireless flash shooting support is available for both radio and optical transmission with compatible Canon Speedlites, offering users greater functional range when using flash.
- Multiple flash system support allows control of up to five groups of compatible Canon Speedlites.
- Dust- and water-resistant body for reliable operation in harsh environments.
- Flash-readiness indicator on the display panel, simplified button and dial operation and variable manual flash output.
- New, specially designed accessories supplied include a built-in bounce adapter, plus SCF-E3 hard-type color filter sets, and a soft case. The new Compact Battery Pack CP-E4N is available as an optional accessory for improved continuous flash firing and more flashes per charge.
- Illuminated dot matrix LCD panel for enhanced display information, including flash mode and usable distance ranges plus C.Fn (Custom Function) and P.Fn (Personal Function) settings.
The 600EX II-RT flash now also includes light and dark orange hard color correction caps, as well as a diffuser cover which fits over the top of the gels.
A larger soft case which will also fit the accessories (gels, diffuser, and base stand) is also provided.
A new 8 AA cell CP-E4N external battery pack, combined with the 600EX II-RT provides up to 2x faster continual burst rates. Ideal with the new 1DX MKII camera.
600EX II-RT SPECS
Type-B EOS cameras (TTL autoflash)
Number of Flashes
* Based on Canon Testing Standards.
Quick flash: 0.1-3.3 sec.* Nominal min. time when using 1900mm Ah type AA/HR6 Ni-MH batteries.
* Based on Canon Testing Standards.
- Normal Flash:
Approx. 1.6-91.2 ft./0.5-27.8m
- Quick Flash (at Guide No. 68.2 ft./20.8m):
Approx. 1.6-48.6 ft./0.5-14.8m
- High-speed Sync (at 1/250 sec. shutter speed):
Approx. 1.6-48.2 ft./0.5-14.7m
AF Assist Beam
Infrared AF-assist beamCompatible AF System:
TTL second image formation phase-difference AF
Supporting 1-65 AF points (28mm or longer focal length)
- Phase-difference AF during viewfinder shooting
- Quick mode during Live View shooting or movie shooting
Effective Range (Approx.):
At center: 2.0-32.8 ft./0.6-10.0m
At periphery: 2.0-16.4 ft./0.6-5.0m
External Power Source
600EX II-RT CUSTOM FUNCTIONS
PRICE AND AVAILABILITY
The Canon 600EX II-RT and CP-E4N battery pack are available now from $579 and $199 respectively.
Pre-orders are available now –