FLASHPOINT R2 PRO-N / GODOX XPRO-N – TTL Transmitter Announced

Flashpoint have announced the R2 Pro-N / Godox XPro-N, TTL and HSS enabled radio transmitter for Nikon DSLR’s, and they are available now for pre-order from Adorama for $69.00.

With a large clear dot matrix LCD screen displaying all 5 groups at simultaneously, and individual dedicated groups buttons, the Pro transmitter provides a big improvement over the previous R2 / X1 transmitter’s user interface.

And therefore a great improvement for the complete Flashpoint & Godox 2.4GHz flash system.

SIGNIFICANT NEW FEATURES INCLUDE –

• Large Dot Matrix LCD Screen Displaying 5 Groups
  • 5 Individual Dedicated Group Buttons
  • Display Zoom – Displays One Group Larger with More Details
  • TCM Function – TTL – CONVERT – MANUAL
  • Flash Head Zoom Control Interface – by Group
  • Modelling Light Control – by Group (Currently On /Off Only)
  • Global Adjustment of Group Power Levels (ALL Button)
  • Large Graphic Menu System with Multiple Custom Functions

R2 PRO Nikon

The Pro transmitter now provides the option of working with up to 5 groups of lights – A / B / C / D / E, in a mixed Group Mode style environment, where TTL and Manual groups can be mixed together, and individual groups can easily be switched On and Off.

Unlike the Canon version Xpro-C transmitter though, TTL mode can only be selected in groups A, B, & C. Groups D & E are manual only.

There is also the option of controlling up to 16 Groups in Manual mode (A-F & 0-9), corresponding with the older XTR-16/s style radio receivers.

With dedicated individual group buttons, adjusting each group is now very simple, fast and intuitive.

R2 PRO Nikon

And if you prefer the XT-32 style single group display, at the press of a button the Pro transmitter provides the option of switching back and forth from multiple group display, to a larger single group display showing more details.

XPRO-N

FLASHPOINT R2 PRO / GODOX XPRO FEATURES

• Godox / Flashpoint 2.4GHz RF Radio System
  • Range – 100m +
  • Flash Modes – I-TTL / M / Multi
  • TCM – TTL – CONVERT – MANUAL
  • Second Curtain Sync
  • FEC / FEB – 1/3rd Increments (±3 Stops)
  • FEL (Flash Exposure Lock)
  • Global ALL Group Power Adjustment
  • Remote Flash Zoom by Group
  • Remote Modeling Light Control
  • Group Mode – A / B / C / D / E  (5 Groups) (D & E Manual Only)
  • Manual Mode – A – F & 0 – 9 (16 Groups)
  • Wireless ID 01-99
  • Compatible with All Godox & Flashpoint 2.4GHz Flash System
  • Large Dot Matrix LCD Display with Adjustable Back Light
  • Zoom Display – Displays One Groups Larger With Details
  • Modeling flash
  • AF Assist light (With an On/Off Switch)
  • Wireless Shutter Release
  • Type-C USB Port for Firmware Upgrades
  • 2.5mm Sync Port – Input & Output
  • Powered by 2 AA Batteries

TCM FUNCTION

Another significant feature now provided with the Pro transmitter is the new TCM function.

TCM stands for TLL – CONVERT – MANUAL.

This is Godox and Flashpoint’s version of Hybrid or Fusion TTL, where its now possible to take a shot in TTL mode to attain a correct exposure very quickly, and then at the press of a button convert those TTL power levels to display on the transmitter as Manual power levels.

The manual power levels can then be further refined, and provide consistent exposures for further shots in the same set up and environment.

The TCM function is potentially a huge advantage for people operating in a fast paced environment, allowing a base setting to be gained very quickly without manually metering lights. Switching to manual the individual power levels can then be refined as needed, and exposures remain constant for subsequent images.

Other features include a flash Zoom control screen, and a large graphic menu with custom functions –

Flashpoint R2 PRO - Godox XPro-C

The Pro transmitter provides similar range and reliability to the original R2 and XT transmitters, and also currently use the same AF assist light, and regular screw locking foot.

Flashpoint R2 PRO - Godox XPro-C

A shutter release function is provided, as well as a Type-C USB port for firmware updated, and a 2.5mm sync port.

And the Pro transmitter is once again powered by 2 regular AA batteries.

(Canon version foot shown below).

Flashpoint R2 PRO - Godox XPro-C

FLASHPOINT R2 PRO/ GODOX XPRO SPECS

XPRO-N

CUSTOM FUNCTIONS

Flashpoint R2 PRO - Godox XPro-C

The R2 Pro-N / Xpro-N for Nikon are available for pre-order now from Adorama for $69.00.

Adorama, Amazon, UK, B&H Photo, Ebay

Flashpoint – Website

Godox – Website

Flashpoint / Godox – System Overview

1. Darryl Jones 2 weeks ago

I noticed that the amazon link to this says it will be released on Oct 29th. Do you have any information if this is true?

2. Alex Valtchev 2 weeks ago

Unlike the Canon version Xpro-C transmitter though, TTL mode can only be selected in groups A, B, & C. Groups D & E are manual only.

Not that I plan to have 5 groups in TTL, BUT that handicap is really stupid and annoying! Isn’t there a way to have the exact same features on every brand ?!

• John Wilson 2 weeks ago

I think it’s a limitation of the camera, Alex.

As I understand it the camera fires a preflash of each TTL group in turn and measures the exposure. It then calculates the power needed for each TTL group before firing all the groups at once. If the camera only supports 3 TTL groups there’s nothing the trigger can do about it.

Canon used only to support 3 TTL groups but their system was upgraded a few years ago.

3. Alex Valtchev 2 weeks ago

Why is Nikon sleeping? Well if they can have 1 group in TTL and 3 in our case… whats the difference if they are 5 or 10… Whats to lose? Why don’t just do it? Their archaic line of sight system is way overdue. And their new radio system is BS. No wonder they are falling behind Canon. Good bodies like D850 ok, fine… but improve the lighting too…

4. Martin 1 week ago

Do you know if Godox have any plans to give this trigger a thumb lock like the canon 600 EX RT speedlights have.

5. C. Stephen Hurst 1 week ago

Martin,

If they (GODOX) intended to make a Thumb lock I would think it would have been in the production units. Seems silly to that they stuck with the screw lock system and should have just charged an extra 5 to 10 bucks and included the best hot shoe locking system available.

Flash Havoc 1 week ago

As mentioned in the Canon thread, Godox haven’t engineered any lever lock style foot as yet, and in the past they have mentioned legal issues as at least part of the reason for that. Which is probably true just in the sense that they can’t simply copy exactly what Canon etc have done (and they are not great at engineering things like this themselves).

As I’ve mentioned previously though, just getting a new transmitter took a lot of convincing to start with. So insisting on a lever lock foot would have very likely ruled out any chance of it happening at all in the near future.

The good news though is the separate Flashpoint version of the transmitter is back underway as well, and that has some nice features (still no level lock foot though).

The locking wheel on the XPro is at least much easier to use than the X1, and even a bit better than the XT-32 because the base of the transmitter is smaller making it easier to access the wheel. The wheel is also round (no indents) which is not as harsh on your fingers.

• Zoltan 1 week ago

This is the seperate version you mentioned earlier, your prototype that Godox didn’t use in the final version of Xpro? Can we know more about it, what the difference would be? Will it be available in Europe?

• Alex Valtchev 1 week ago

“separate Flashpoint version of the transmitter is back underway as well, and that has some nice features”

What are they? any confirmed or speculated features? What about the physical interface? thanks

Flash Havoc 5 days ago

Sorry guys I can’t say too much more about these than I already have until they are released.

The LCD interface is very similar to the XPro, though the button layout is different, with faster access to the group buttons, and more buttons for quick access to functions.

They are a bit bigger than the Xpro though, so smaller mirrorless camera owners may well still prioritize size over functional advantages.

I don’t think time frames are known yet.

• Zoltan 2 days ago

Any info on availability of the separate Flashpoint version in Europe?

Flash Havoc 2 days ago

I think the only option at this stage would be to order directly from Adorama.

Maybe if there is enough demand we could ask Adorama about the possibility of a European Flashpoint distributor.

6. Naftoli 1 week ago

So excited for this new trigger, I just put in my preorder! Thank you Flash Havoc!

My concern is this, as a wedding photographer, I am often using a speedlight in the hotshoe as an on camera flash and triggering my off camera Godox lighting simultaneously. However The on camera flashes interface for controlling power levels for off camera flash is way too fidly, so I instead use my trusty XT32 handheld on a lanyard around my neck for the off camera power control. for this setup to work you must have you off camera groups set to 1 2 3 4 or 5 (if your lights are set to groups A B C D E the on camera speedlight will interfere, every time you take a picture the power of the off camera lights will adjust to what there set values are on the oncamera speedlight)

Is there a way to change this new Pro-N Transmitter to control groups 1 2 3 4 & 5 (Instead of A B C D E) ??

Flash Havoc 1 week ago

Hi Naftoli,

Yes you can set the XPro to the 16 group mode, and display groups 1-5 on the screen if you like.

7. Psartman 1 week ago

Sony next, please.

8. David Xavier 1 week ago

After annoying problems with two other brands I was considering the X1-N as a new try to controlling my SB880 & SB80DX together with my D2Xs, and I found this new device around. Would it work with that mentioned equipment, be as TTL or Manual mode?
    I’d like to know as well wether or not the R2 PRO-N would work as a remote camera trigger.
    Finally, what would be the most appropriate receiver to pair it with the new controller?
    Much appreciated.

Flash Havoc 5 days ago

Hi David,

I assume you mean the SB-800?, and if so that should work with an X1R-N receiver in TTL and Remote Manual.

I’m really not too sure about the SB-80DX though, that’s a pretty old flash as far as I remember. Even the SB-800 walks a fine line between having issues with current TTL radio triggers (though generally should be ok).

Using either the X1T-N or XPro-N / R2 PRO-N transmitters you would use the same X1R-N receivers with your speedlights.

Though for $110 you can get the TT685N / FP Zoom with fully compatible TTL radio receiver built inside. So you may want to consider going with those to save any hassles.

If you don’t need TTL the Remote Manual and HSS enabled TT600 are only $65.

• Motti 4 days ago

Finally!!

• Motti 4 days ago

I honestly do not think it will work with the DX version. I have the SB-80DX and it does not work the same as the new Nikons.

9. David 7 days ago

It’s looks great – Do you know if there will be a Panasonic version any time soon?

Flash Havoc 6 days ago

Hi David,

There will be an Olympus/Panasonic version. And I think the original intention was to try and get them all out by the end of the year. Though I’m not sure how Godox are tracking with that at this stage.

Its generally the Sony version next, then Olympus/Panasonic (and Fuji lucky last).

• David 5 days ago

Thanks for the info on the Panasonic trigger, I suspect there are a fair few new gh5 owners like myself waiting on this new trigger….although the comment from markz below sounds a wee bit worrying re flash latency. Cheers.

10. Markz 7 days ago

Hopefully, when the “O” version comes out they will have fixed the delay problem with the GH5. Both my X1To and TT350o cause around 0.5 second delay after pressing the shutter button before the shot fires. They work OK on my GX80 and GH3, and my old 433Hz triggers work fine on the GH5. I have quite a lot of Godox gear but this issue has stopped me buying any more of it, which is a shame as I’d like to get four AD200’s to add to my set up, but they don’t work with the old 433Hz system and I would like to use HSS too :/

11. Thien 5 days ago

When is Adorama releasing the pre-order unit?

Flash Havoc 2 days ago

Hi Thien,

Sorry I’m not sure on that. They should put the date up once they know when they are due to arrive, like with the Canon listing.

(To see the date, hover over or click on the “Pre Order Now – Learn More” text, under the big green PRE-ORDER button).

12. Eric 1 day ago

This is a powerful addition to the Godox lineup and a good news for Nikon users.