FLASHPOINT – RoveLight – GREAT DEALS !! – UPDATE – With Full High Shutter Speed Mode !

FP_RoveLight_300

To celebrate the launch of the new FlashPoint RoveLights, Adorama have very kindly offered some incredible deals, exclusive to FlashHavoc readers only!

These great discounts are for one week only though, so you will really need to be quick ! (Expires the 29th of August 2014).

UPDATE – Due to technical issues, the coupon code has now been removed.

You can simply click through the links below now to access these great offers !

The offers have also been extend until August 31st 2014 !!

Flashpoint RoveLight 600 Ws Monolight with On Board Power (Bowens Mount).

Reg: $599.95
Exclusive Flash Havoc deal price: 399.95 + free US shipping

Flashpoint RoveLight 600 Ws Monolight with On Board Power (Flashpoint Mount).

Reg: $589.95
Exclusive Flash Havoc deal price: 389.95 + free US shipping

Adorama also have a great range of well priced Glow and Flashpoint Softboxes available.

FlashPoint RoveLight

These are amazing discounts on the new fully cordless Flashpoint RoveLights, and with the great back up support from Adorama.

And these deals are Exclusive to FlashHavoc readers, for one week only ! and while stocks last (Expires the 29th of August 2014).

UPDATE – HSS Mode –

Although it wasn’t originally noted in the Adorama documentation, the RoveLight has arrived here, and this is the latest model flash with full High Shutter Speed Mode, from Full power down to 1/16th.

FP RoveLight

Holding the SET and Eye button (top left buttons) engages the High Shutter Speed mode. And a High Shutter Speed signal is displayed on the LCD screen (Top Right).

FP RoveLight

To function this High Shutter Speed mode does require other HSS enabled triggers to provide an early pre-sync signal, like the YongNuo YN-622.

The simplest method of achieving this is just by placing one Canon or Nikon YN-622 on the camera hotshoe, and connecting the Rovelight TRS transmitter to that.

For Nikon the TRS can mount straight on top of the YN-622N. For the Canon YN-622C a hotshoe to PC sync cord is needed.

No extra receivers are required on the flash unit then.

And thanks again to Adorama for providing this great offer to FlashHavoc readers!

FlashPoint RoveLight – Overview

1. Earle 7 years ago

Elvis: $200 off? It was impossible to pass this up (I’ll let you know how it goes).

Great thanks Earle, I don’t think you can go wrong at that price. I may have one coming as well.

2. Charles Farrah 7 years ago

Hi Elvis,
    This sounds like a great deal! Just a few quick questions:
    1. Do they support high speed sync?
    2. How can I get them to work with my Alien Bees mount style softboxes, etc.?
    3. How do they compare to the Einstein flashes power and feature wise?
    Thanks for the help,
    Charlie

Hi Charles,

1 – UPDATE – This is the new model flash with HSS mode which works at any power level from full down to 1/16th !!

This HSS mode requires other TTL triggers to provide a pre-sync signal like the YN-622C, Phottix Odin, or Pixel king Pro, PocketWizard TT1/TT5 etc.

2 – You would need to swap out the speedring inserts to Bowens (or Photogenic). Other Alienbees owners would be more help here on where and how to swap inserts. I’m not sure how easy it is with the latest AB softboxes, or which inserts fit.

3 – Update I do have one here now, though I don’t have the Einstein to compare directly. I could do a light meter test if anyone can provide the Einstein readings.

I don’t think you can expect they would quite match up, likely a few tenths bellow. These are different lights, DC only, and all wireless. That wireless convenience is the main feature. But at this price the Einstein and VML even without radio triggers would be considerably higher priced as well.

3. Earle 7 years ago

Elvis:

I”m on hold with Adorama right now, apparently — despite the fact that the coupon code went through, they’re having some internal billing problems. (And as you can imagine, not terribly happy about it). The first person I talked with couldn’t even pull up the web site on her comptuer.

4. Amir 7 years ago

Good price. I would have considered this if it had TTL or if I didn’t already have the XEnergizer.

5. Earle 7 years ago

Elvis:

I was able to resolve the issue on the phone. The rep I spoke with was under the impression the coupon code could only be validated on a phone order. I suggested if that’s the case that they get back with you.

@ Amir: I was considering the XEnergizer but the fact that no cabling is needed intrigued me more with this unit. I also always use C stands on locations, so the weight isn’t an issue.

• Amir 7 years ago

C stands are not an option for our on-location work but I see your point about a cable-free single unit.

Thanks Earle,

It appears the customer service may not be completely in tune with exclusive offers like this.

If you still have issues purchasing, or anyone else has problems, please drop me a message.

We may have to resolve these on Monday though if needed, as the people that are on top of these promotions are out over the weekend.

6. jack 7 years ago

There is a problem with the web.

My credit card company called to say that someone was attempting to charge 599 to my card. So I called Adorama. The person on the other end insisted that the price was 599 and that I didn’t know what I was talking about. Admittedly, I wasn’t very pleasant. The item showed at 599, but the total on the bottom of the order was 399 (as expected). This didn’t convince the phone person. So I cancelled that order and placed another.

The second order looks exactly like the first. 599 for the strobe and 399 for the total. The second order hasn’t posted yet. We’ll see how this works out.

Thanks Jack, sorry about that. If you keep having issues, or anyone else has problem purchasing please drop me a message.

We may have to resolve these on Monday though if needed, as the people that are on top of the promotions are out over the weekend.

• jack 7 years ago

The second order posted at $599. I called. This time, I said the magic word: “supervisor”. She (the supervisor) also insisted that I had not put the discount code on my order. I assured her that I had. She corrected the invoice amount immediately. This was a much more pleasant experience.

Of course, my credit card still shows the charge at $599. I’ll have to wait and see if the auditors correct that error. I could still end up paying $599. Time will tell.

Thanks Jack.

If you do still have issues, just let me know, and Adorama will definitely sort it out for you (likely on Monday).

• jack 7 years ago

The charge finally made it to my Credit Card account. It is $399.95. The flash is supposed to arrive today (That’s Fast and Free!) So if I like it, I may pick up a couple more at this price.

Cheers.

Thanks Jack,

Keep us posted on how you go. They sure are quick at shipping.

7. Manny 7 years ago

Are you able to fire two of these units using the same transmitter at different power settings?

Hi Manny,

Yes you can fire two flashes (or more) set to different power settings with the same transmitter.

Where its going to get tricky though, is if you want to adjust the power levels of both flashes remotely AND individually.

The flash and transmitter unit do not have groups. So to set remote power levels separately, you would need to set each flash to a different channel. The transmitter then has a “catch all” channel, on channel 15, which fires all channels.

The only problem still with this method though, is that the channel switch on the transmitter uses small dip switches. They are raised, so your fingernail can switch them, but you would need something like a toothpic to be switching channels regularly.

So ideally you would really want at least a second transmitter (in pocket etc) set to a second channel for the second light. (The second light would come with the second transmitter).

You’re still not completely out of the woods yet though, as the transmitter on the camera would still need one dip switch changed back and forth if you didn’t want to adjust all flashes power levels when making changes with that transmitter.

So the real ideal (short of a purpose built mulit group/channel transmitter) would be to have one transmitter on the camera hotshoe and set to channel 16, simply to just fire all lights. Then have one extra transmitter for each light in pocket, set to a separate channel, and ready to adjust each light individually.

UPDATE – The Rovelight also has a very handy HSS mode, and this require TTL triggers to be used to fire the flash with an early HSS pre-sync signal. So triggers like the YN-622C etc may be used to fire the flash.

I’m sure that sounds a bit cumbersome, though it wouldn’t be hard to mount up a remote control unit with a number of transmitters if you really wanted multi group remote control.

So in summary, setting power levels on each flash directly, and just firing as many lights as you like with one transmitter is no problem.

Also adjusting the power level of all flashes at once with one transmitter would be no problem (retaining the same lighting ratio). That would be handy for camera aperture or ISO changes etc.

A multi group remote manual system though is going to be a bit of a work around. Many of us are already used to transmitter work arounds when it comes to mixing lights though.

A very simple purpose designed multi group/channel transmitter would certainly save the workaround though.

• Manny 7 years ago

Thanks for the through explanation. Just ordered 2! Figure if I want only one, I can return the other one, but if I want another one, then I won’t get this deal! Comes out cheaper than the link delight price on the Jinbei and you get 1 year warranty.

Good deal. Now, looking forward to trying it out 🙂

8. Donika Todorova 7 years ago

Flash Havoc fans, hello!

This is Donika from Adorama. Thank you for your interest in this unique promotion that we are proud and happy to offer through Flash Havoc.

I want to send my apologies to anybody experiencing technical issues with the ordering process and the exclusive coupon. I assure you we’re doing our best to fix these problems.

In the meantime, I can help you out with your order. Just write to Elvis to get my contact information or to leave yours for me to reach out to you directly. You will be assisted by end of day Eastern time on Monday.

Have a great weekend and tune in regularly for more specials!

9. Marius 7 years ago

Hi Elvis,

I’m not invested in either Bowens or Photogenic gear, although I do have an unused Elinchrom reflector. Which version should I order?

Thanks,

Marius

Hi Marius,

I’m not familiar with the FlashPoint mount, so others may be able to comment on whether its a good mounting system (or better than the Bowens).

Bowens is pretty much the universal non proprietary standard around the rest of the world now though, so you can get a lot more third party modifiers in the Bowens mount. Its likely been slower to take off in the USA due to Alien Bees etc popularity, though its definitely becoming the main standard (if there is one).

10. Javier 7 years ago

Hi, I’m trying to purchase one item and when I enter the coupon code, a warning message appears saying ” Gift certificates may not be redeemed for international orders”. I’m using an international credit card, but the shipping address is in the US. I’ve purchased stuff from Adorama before, but never got this message. My question is.. will I get the discount if I use my International Credit card or not?

Hi Javier,

Ok thanks, I will forward this to Adorama. They may have to do the transaction manually for you on Monday.

I’m not aware of any restrictions on international orders, though I will check on this as well. Thanks.

UPDATE – International orders are fine, though they will need to be processed manually.

If anyone is interested in making an international purchase on this offer please drop me a message through the contact page, and I will provide you with the details to for having the order processed manually. Thanks.

• Javier 7 years ago

Well, like I said, this is not an international order, the Roverlight is being delivered to a US address, but using an international credit card.

Thanks, yes sorry I meant that I’m not aware of any restrictions on international orders, so I don’t think there should be any restriction on the international card either.

Adorama will be able to process this for you on Monday though.

• Peter 7 years ago

Tried going through the order process to check the pricing for shipping to Canada. I also see the Gift certificates may not be redeemed for international orders message.

Between that and the shipping cost, might have to head down to the US to pick one up.

• Tor M 7 years ago

Hi Elvis.

Did anybody confirm if this deal is valid for international customers also or if it is an US-only deal?

I also got the message that “Gift certificates may not be redeemed for international orders” when I tried to see if the Coupon code worked.

Regards
            Tor Martin

Hi Tor,

UPDATE – International orders should be fine now that the coupon code is removed. Thanks.

11. Earle 7 years ago

Hey Marius, as an Elinchrom user who bought the light, I’d say go for the Bowens unit. If you have any of the Rotalux modifiers, Elinchrom sells a speed ring with a Bowens mount (it would fit better than using an adapter) though you’d need an adapter for the beauty dish. From what I’ve seen, for something like a Phottix Luna 27-inch soft dish or its Cheetahstand 33-inch cousin, you can easily change out speed rings.

12. Jason 7 years ago

Great job getting another discount deal and thanks for the support! Hope Flashpoint works on a new multi channel led display transmitter soon to really make these shine.

13. Mark 7 years ago

Hi Elvis,

Which email address do I contact in Adorama for figuring out the discount. I paid full price instead of the deal that’s offered. I can send you my order number if you needed privately.

Hi Mark,

If you drop me a message through the contact page I can give you the email address. And I will forward your detatils to Adorama as well.

They should be able to fix that you for you soon. Thanks.

1 – UPDATE – The RovelLight Just arrived here, and this is the newest model flash with HSS mode !! which works at any power level from full down to 1/16th !

This is a really sweet flash !! and fantastic value at this price.

And as far as I know this HSS model is not available anywhere else as yet. The Rovelight also has a nice sturdy swivel compared to the Jinbei versions.

• Earle 7 years ago

That’s outstanding news Elvis! Mine should come today — though since I’m not home this evening I probably won’t get it until Tuesday.

Ok thanks Earle, let us know how you go. Thanks.

15. Dave 7 years ago

I can’t seem to see where to enter the coupon code to get the price down to $399. I added the flash to the cart and went through the checkout procedure, just short of submitting the order but I can’t find the coupon code box anywhere.

This was at 7:35am Central time on Monday morning.
    Tried both Chrome and Internet Explorer.

Hi Dave,

It should be there just after you add the shipping address, and selecting shipping method.

If you still have issues though, Adorama should be able to do this manually for you later today.

16. cffara@gmail.com 7 years ago

Elvis,
    Please stop listing all this cool stuff! HSS!!!! Now I have to order 2, because one isnt enough. Do you have one yet? id like to know what yoy think hands on. Also, I live in NY. can I go down and buy them in the store with this discount?
    Thanks again,
    Charlie

Hi Charlie,

Thanks, yes the flash arrived late this afternoon. This is the actual flash.

I’m exhausted from all the gear I’m testing at the moment already, but as soon as I saw the HSS feature here, I managed to see that is all working to 1/8000th and down to 1/16th power (using YN-622C).

Its a really nice flash, its a little smaller than I thought. I have the YN300W here as well and that’s bigger and much heavier, and only half the power (and no Lithium-ion battery inside).

Of the negative things I noticed was the Bowens mount is pretty loose fitting to the speedring insert. The advantage of that though is that modifiers are very effortless to mount and remove.

Another small issue is that the remote control (radio transmitter) turns itself off after a short period (3 minutes and 20 seconds). So if you have it in pocket you have to hold the On button for a couple of seconds every time you go to use it.

Other than that they are a fantastic light so far. Lots of power, fast recycle, super simple and fast to work with, also “gear clutter free” as someone else described it nicely.

I like the way the flash tube has a small reflector around it, which means you can throw modifiers on quickly without worrying about breaking the tube too easily. The Godox RS600P makes me very nervous there. The swivel is very solid on the stand and holds modifiers easily. The carry case is also solid and much better than I expected.

The radio transmitter and power levels have worked fine so far. You can bump the power to maximum or minimum and it gives multiple beeps to let you know, so you can tell where you are on the power level without seeing the strobe LCD. It would be nice if there was an option to leave the LCD on though.

The LED modelling light has an option to stay on for 60 seconds, or stay on until the flash goes to sleep (5 minutes without use).

Its late now so I’ll have to do some more testing tomorrow. But overall it seems like a very impressive flash, particularly at this price. If it had the multi group transmitter it would really be a killer flash. (I would just mount a couple of transmitter units side by side as a remote control though if using a couple of these).

Sorry yes, about the in store discount. A couple of people have asked about that already and I’m still not sure yet. You may have to arrange this with Donika first to receive the discount.

I’ll email you the contact details now. Thanks.

17. cffara@gmail.com 7 years ago

Elvis,
    Thanks so much for that comprehensive answer! Just one more question. Will the yongnuo 622c tx also be able to raise and lower the power level od the flash besides enabling HSS? Alsoe, from what your saying, this unit sound slike a better deal than the new Yonguo strobe, any idea what thatll cost?
    Thanks again,
    Charlie

Sorry, no the YN-622-TX (or YN-622) can not communicate directly with the RoveLight to change power levels.

For HSS this is just an early fire signal sent through a PC sync cord at the flash end. (The fancy stuff happens at the transmitter end to attain that early signal).

The Y300W will retail around $260 (without reflector, bag, triggers etc, just a power cord).

They are going to be another game changer though for sure. Though they are still big heavy AC only studio flashes, which is not the ideal use of TTL.

But I’d be pretty nervous if I was a small studio light manufacture right now. Because these have a pretty clear advantage over all the other options that are much like each other. You may have to give YongNuo another 12 months to come up with a portable version though.

18. cffara@gmail.com 7 years ago

So is it really complicated to enable HSS remotely then?
    Thanks again,
    Charlie

UPDATE – You can’t set the HSS mode remotely. Though after some testing I found there is no loss of power at Full power setting in HSS mode, and only 0.2 stops reduction at other power levels. So its not really going to be critical to turn the HSS mode off when shooting below X-sync.

In other words you shouldn’t have to go to the flash all the time to be enabling and disabling HSS mode all the time. Just leave it on if you know you will be using HSS at times.

It appears this mode is extending the flash duration, and not pulsing the flash. So it shouldn’t hurt to use this mode often. There is no limit to shots as the Witstro unit have (which pulse the flash).

19. cffara@gmail.com 7 years ago

Thanks Elvis!

20. Donika Todorova 7 years ago

For all of you in New York that wish to stop by the store – Please feel free to do so! Let the Adorama representatives there know that you are interested in the RoveLight Flash Havoc exclusive promo and they will assist you and be able to honor the $200 discount.

21. Manny 7 years ago

Hello Elvis, regarding HSS, when using the 622c, does it allow you to change the power remotely, or does that still need to happen via the TRS remote?

Hi Manny,

No you still need to use the TRS remote to change any power levels on the RoveLight. Its a very small transmitter unit you can easily slip into a pocket though.

The YN-622C is just providing a regular fire signal to the flash, connected via PC sync cord. That fire signal just happens early before the camera shutter starts to open.

It would be interesting to hear how others are going, but I’m getting about 8 tenths of a stop more light out of the RoveLight than the Godox RS600P.

That’s quite a substantial difference for 2 flashes that are both rated as 600WS. I’ve been trying to confirm with others that the RS600P is providing similar results to theirs, and it seems to be.

Using a Phottix Luna 70cm Octa, the RS600P puts out one more stop of light over the AD360, which is what I would expect (300WS vs 600Ws).

But the RoveLight is around 1.8 stops over the AD360 !

23. Earle 7 years ago

Elvis that’s very promising news about the RoveLight output. I got home fairly late last night and only got to unbox it before needing to go to bed. It does feel quite sturdy. I won’t get to put it through its paces until later this week/weekend (waiting fir a speed ring for a modifier and busy at work before Labor Day). Though I may check HSS with Pocketwizards tonight.

How do you like the light quality with the Luna?

Thanks Earle, no worries.

24. Adam 7 years ago

I have 2 RL-600s on the way. I also have a CL-600 so I can test as well.

Great thanks Adam,

I’m still scratching my head a bit with this one, so that would be great if could do a quick comparison.

• Adam 7 years ago

What did you have on each flash? stock reflector?

The 0.8 stop figure was with the Phottix Luna with front diffuser and inner reflector.

I think the bare reflector was a stop ahead for the RoveLight. UPDATE – Yes I’m getting a stop more with the bare reflector.

The bare reflectors may have a different spread of light though. From what I’m seeing just firing each flash though, its really obvious the RoveLight is putting out a lot more light.

• Adam 7 years ago

Ok, I have a photix Luna. Will use that.

• Adam 7 years ago

Also have a mettle 600AD to test against. Before I sell it 😉

25. rmrpictures 7 years ago

Wow this looks like a nice unit and the price is great! I’m hoping that Godox will do something similar since I REALLY like the way the remote system for GODOX Wistro and V850’s work together. Do you think there is any chance GODOX will do something similar?

Personally I couldn’t see why they wouldn’t.

Thanks for all your hard work, you’re my #1 source for flash info!

Reinaldo

Hi Reinaldo,

Thanks for that. I would be extremely surprised if Godox were not working on a similar light. Because these are what is missing from their current line up, and they are aware of the market for the similar N-flash and Jinbei units etc.

When they would actually become available I have no idea. All we know that is likely to be unveiled for Photokina is the TTL Witstro’s. That’s a pretty big release though, so its possible they may be the only big release then.

26. jack 7 years ago

A quick update:
    I received my Rovelight Monday after ordering it on Thursday.

Wow, this thing is powerful! I’ve been using a bunch of Speedlights to get my power lately. One of the things I’ve noticed about the speedlights is that the color temp varies between 6500 and 7500 depending on the power level. With this strobe, my early testing shows color temp from 5550 to 5800 at power levels from 1/16 to 1/1. This is much more consistent and pleasant.

Great, thanks for the quick feedback Jack.

27. Earle 7 years ago

Elvis:

As soon as I get a suitable Bowens speed ring for my Chimera (due Thursday), I’ll test it vs. an Elinchrom RX 600, to see how the power outputs compare.

Meanwhile, what’s the difference in the power out of the Rovelight set regularly and on HSS mode (I figure that’s a good way to see if it’s long-tail sync or pulsing high speed sync.)?

Ok great thanks Earle.

That should be a very good base comparison.

It would be interesting to know how the Einstein stacks up sided by side as well, though the RX 600 should be a good indication. thanks.

28. cffara@gmail.com 7 years ago

Hi Elvis,
    Im inches away from pulling the trigger on two of these. Just a few more points I need cleared up:

1. If I use two of these units, I can control the power levels of both of these with one of their transmitters?
    2. So I I want to use HSS I need to put a Younguo trigger in each of the units through their sync port and have both a yonguo and their transmitter connected to my camera?

Thanks for all the help, Elvis, thisis also my #100 for falsh info!
    Charlie

Hi Charlie,

1. I tried to explain the transmitter situation in this comment above. You could use just one transmitter though it would be difficult changing the channel dip switches constantly.

It would be much easier to have a couple of transmitters mounted side by side on a little coldshoe base, and still slip that into your pocket etc. Somewhere out there must be some coldshoe rail / track available to mount them on (without DIYing a dual coldshoe base).

2. No you don’t need a YN-622C receiver attached to each flash for HSS. You can do that if you want to, but you don’t need to.

You can simply connect a TRS transmitter to one YN-622C unit (mounted on the camera hotshoe) via a PC sync cord to hotshoe, like we do with the Godox transmitter. This then fires the flashes own built in receiver with the early HSS signal (no receivers required at all) –

Image one
      Image two
      Image three

The hotshoe cord used is available here.

This actually works a little better than using a YN-622C receiver on each flash, because the slight delay the TRS transmitter provides helps to get a little more light in the frame.

And the flash remains clean and completely cordless then.

NIKON – For Nikon with the YN-622N its even easier, as you don’t need the PC sync cord, just place the TRS transmitter straight on the YN-622N hotshoe (both mounted on the camera hotshoe).

• Richard 7 years ago

Hi Elvis

First of all thanks for hosting such a great website.

I’m pretty new to the flash photography and all I have is the Canon EX600-RT and the YN E3-RT.
        Your second suggestions sound quite interesting to me since I’d like to use the rovelight and the canon flash together.

Would it also be possible to just get the YN-622C TX instead and connect the Rovelight TRS with the hotshoe cord to it?
        Is it possible to trigger both the Canon flash and the Rovelight in HSS that way or do I need to buy additional stuff besides the YN-622C TX?

Best regards
        Richard

Hi Richard,

Thanks for that. Unfortunately the YN-622C-TX does not appear to have a PC sync out, like the YN-622C when used as a transmitter. So you can’t just attach the TRS transmitter straight to the YN-622CC-TX.

So the options there would be to either attach the TRS transmitter to a YN-622C receiver, which would then fire all the RoveLights built in receivers. Or add a YN-622C receiver to every RoveLight (and just use the TRS in hand for power level adjustment).

When using the first option, the TRS transmitter can mount straight onto the YN-622C hotshoe. No PC sync cord is needed if using the YN-622C-TX as the transmitter.

The Canon / YongNuo (and soon to be Shanny) RT radio system is another story again. As there is currently no simple way to tap directly into the HSS signal there. There are no PC out on the transmitters, and no receiver options as yet to mount a TRS transmitter on.

So external TTL triggers like the YN-622C etc are still needed to run both systems with HSS. Thanks.

29. cffara@gmail.com 7 years ago

Elvis,
    If the battery dies during a shoot, will the strobe still fire if I plug the charge cable into it?
    Thanks agin,
    Charlie

30. Earle 7 years ago

Hey Charlie:

I’m sure Elvis will chime in with an answer for your first two questions (I own the light but haven’t playhed with it yet) but as to your second, the manual/pamphlet speciffically says you should not fire the strobe with the charge cable plugged in.

Hi Charlie,

As Earle mentions, unfortunately most battery strobes like this will not allow you to run the strobe with the the charger cord plugged into the battery at the same time.

You would really need a second battery if you need more capacity. One battery could be charging while the other is used if you wanted to keep running the lights continuously for a long period.

31. matt 7 years ago

How would you compare this to Einstein?
    Quality,amount of light, freatures, HSS, TTL, etc

I have a canon 5dmark iii with YN-622-TX and 2 YN-622C’s and canon 600ex speedlight.
    Right now all my speedrings for softboxes and beautydish all AlienBee so I would also have to buy Interfit Photographic Adapter Speed Ring for Balcar, White Lighting & Alien Bees Flashes.

Also want control power levels if possible.

So worth it over Einsteins?
    Or just go Einsteins, with Cyber Commander and Reciever(control their power) and YN-622-TX for speedlight control and to trigger everything?

Thanks,
    Matt

32. Manny 7 years ago

Hello Elvis,

I was thinking of picking up some extra triggers for these lights, ended up picking up 2 of these (Dam..) err.. Thank you for this spectacular deal.

I was wondering if you know if the jinbei trs triggers would work with this, those cost a bit less, 18 bucks, vs 50 for the flashpoint.

Hi Manny,

I’m not 100% sure on this until someone tries them to confirm, but I would be very surprised if they were not compatible. Its highly likely that they would be exactly the same radio system.

• Manny 7 years ago

I think I’ll order one and take on for the team, will report back how it goes.

• Adam 7 years ago

Manny, I can’t find these anywhere. Where are you getting them from? Matter a fact Adorama doesn’t even sell the FPs separately.

Ok I did a lot of testing with the HSS today, and the RoveLight is very good with this.

I’d have to say considerably more powerful, and even practical, than the current Godox units.

I’m getting a clean frame all the way to 1/8000th, and down to 1/16th power no issues.

Firstly, switching into HSS mode is only reducing the actual light output by 0.2 stops at any power level below full power (full power is no change).

Where the Witstro AD360 looses 1 full stop at any power level. (This is measured by a light meter, not the camera exposure here).

So the fact that there is only a small reduction in light output, and also that there is no mention in the user manual of overheating the flash in HSS mode, very much makes me think this is not pulsing the flash like the Witstro does. But actually increasing the flash duration at all power levels (down to 1/16th).

There is a little more gradient across the frames than the Witstro units, but not as much as the regular tail of a flash pulse. Which again suggests towards a longer flash duration than a pulsing flash.

At full power there is no difference with the HSS mode On or Off. So this means the flash duration is simply long enough at full power to work with long duration HSS as it is.

Why I found this more practical than the current Godox units, is that firstly you don’t have to worry about turning the HSS mode on and off all the time on the flash. Because at full power it makes no difference, and at lower power levels its only a loss of 0.2 stops if you leave the mode on, and shoot below x-sync.

And the other major reason is that there is no special limit on the number of shots in HSS mode. Where the Witstro are limited to 10 shots at full power. So people often have to turn the H-mode Off on the Witstro at full power, and use long duration sync anyway.

So the light may have a little more gradient, though this overall seems like a much more practical method than the Witstro pulsing flash mode.

The only downside is possibly having too much power in HSS. Though the minimum practical power level is around the same as the AD360. If that’s too much still its time to use an AD180 or speedlight.

To trigger the HSS mode I have simply been connecting a TRS transmitter to one YN-622C unit (mounted on the camera hotshoe) via a PC sync cord to hotshoe, like we do with the Godox transmitter as well. This then fires the flashes own built in receiver with the early HSS signal (so no receivers required at all) –

Image one
    Image two
    Image three

The hotshoe cord used is available here.

And the flash remains clean and completely cordless then.

NIKON – For Nikon with the YN-622N its even easier, as you don’t need the PC sync to cord, just place the TRS transmitter straight on the YN-622N hotshoe (both mounted on the camera hotshoe).

Other transmitters like the YN-622C-TX can also be used. but the TRS transmitter can not be connected directly to that (via sync cord).

So unless you want to add corresponding radio receivers to each flash, then mounting the TRS transmitter onto one YN-622 receiver will work. This then fires all the RoveLights built in receivers.

I will do more testing with other TTL triggers which have a timing adjustment etc, but the simple YN-622 are working very well as they are.

So in summary the HSS mode is looking very impressive, and very practical. This could be used like, or even with TTL speedlites which switch in and out of HSS mode as needed. That’s a very big practical advantage over the AD360 etc.

And this light really has the power to be used practically with HSS.

• Earle 7 years ago

Hey Elvis:

Your HSS results mirror what I got with the Nikon Pocket Wizard TTL system (and noted in that email to you) I was puzzled that I was getting good results without going into HSS. So it looks like this will be a very fun location light to use.

Ok thanks Earle.

We have probably discussed this before, but I always get mixed feedback reports with PocketWizards, even when people are trying to use the same method.

So as long as your getting ok results that the main thing.

UPDATE – Due to technical issues, the coupon code has now been removed.

You can simply click straight through the links in the original post to access the offers !

The offers have also been EXTENDED a couple of days until August 31st 2014 !!

Sorry to those who had issues ordering earlier, it should be a simple process now though.

Thanks FH.

• Merc 7 years ago

ARGH! Why did they extend it. Now I have more time to think about it. Why couldn’t they have waited till after photokina. I am waiting to see what the cost will be for TTL wistro’s. Have you heard any word on cost of those yet?
      thanks

Hi Merc.

Sorry no indication on costs there. I think its fairly obvious you would expect to pay more though, so they will likely be around the $600 – $700 for the AD360, as the manual Witstro’s were not so long ago.

They may be unveiled at Photokina, though when they are actually going to be available is the other big question.

After Photokina would certainly have helped, though the way I look at it, at this price people in the US at least would likely get most of their money back if they had to sell and switch again. If you’re based overseas with shipping costs etc (like me) then it does become a much harder decision at this time.

35. jason 7 years ago

I ordered one of these in the bowen mount. Can you use the TRS tranmitter on a Odin reciever for nikon, in say channel C. And use my mitros+ flashes on A-B and use hss?

Hi Jason,

Yes you should be able to do that.

It shouldn’t matter which group you have the TRS & Odin receiver set to though, unless you wanted to turn that group (or the RoveLights) on and off from the Odin TCU.

So you could still control 3 groups of speedlites if needed.

Changing the ODS timing would effect all flashes though, so you would be best to stick to the standard timing (which should be fine).

The great thing about the Mitros+ set up is that you can use a Mitros+ as the transmitter on the camera as well, if a flash on-cameras is needed. And the camera is still free of other transmitters etc.

36. cffara@gmail.com 7 years ago

Elvis,
    So with ths setup for HSS Ilonly need the one Yonguo transmitter attached to the camera and none attached to the strobes themselves? Im assuming the TRS transmitter is theone that ships with the rovelights? Thanks for the patience, Elvis! Hope Im not driving you crazy with the questions, its just a bit buy for me right now and I wanna make sure I know what Im doing before I get two of these beauties!
    Thanks,
    Charlie

Hi Charlie,

That is correct, if using the YN-622C (not the YN-622C-TX) you only need the one YN-622C mounted on the camera. The TRS is connected to that via the hotshoe to PC sync cord. No extra receivers required.

If using the YN-622C-TX, then you would need at least one YN-622C receiver, to then mount the TRS transmitter on that receiver. (Still no receivers required on the lights).

Yes the TRS transmitter is the one that is shipped with the lights. Obviously you get one transmitter with each light.

But I still think you would want a third TRS transmitter. One mounted on the camera hotshoe (or connected to the YN-622C), just to fire all the lights. And 2 more (in hand etc) to control each of your 2 lights individually.

This is definitely a work around, and it sounds a bit cumbersome, but it would have a couple of good practical advantages over the current Godox system at least. As you could adjust all of your lights up and down at once using the main transmitter set to all channels (to change aperture etc quickly).

And also you could test fire each light individually for meter readings quite easily (having a TX and with test fire button for each).

The one catch is that the transmitters turn themselves off every 3 minutes. You do quickly get used to the fact that you have to hold the on button for a few seconds before doing anything. This is all still a lot better than running back to the light all the time.

No you’re not driving me crazy.. (yet) :-). I wish there was more time to study this as well. Though I have so much to get through now anyway, I’m going to have to just do short hands on previews for a while. Because just testing all this takes so much time on its own. Thanks.

37. Adam 7 years ago

So I got mine today. Haven’t had a chance to try them yet. It would have been nice if the bags were setup in such a way so that they balanced on their sides when carrying them. These were delivered to my office. Not going to be a fun commute home with the bags sitting flat 🙂

Hi Adam,

Thanks for that. Though darn that is a bit of a major stuff up. The bags are so nice otherwise.

They have obviously done this intentionally though, as there is no tension on the zipper cover that way. They have not put a handle on the side or top obviously for the same reason.

I like them more than the alloy hard case these portable lights often come in, but this is obviously the trade off.

38. Adam 7 years ago

Ok, got them home on the train last night and had some time to test. BTW, them shipping to my office was my request. I had no one home to sign for them.

I tested the RL-600 along with my Mettle 600AD and pre-production CL-600. I used a Phottix Luna beauty dish with internal reflector and diffuser. Testing was ~8′ away at ISO100.

CL-600 F9 (disclaimer this is a pre-prod model)
    Mettle 600AD F11
    RL-600 F14

I wonder if the built on small reflector around the flash head of the RL-600 is what accounts for the additional power.

Overall the light seems well built. It is about the same size and weight as the Mettle 600AD.

The controls will take some getting used to. It seems like even when the sound is disabled the unit will still make various beeps.

Also need to figure out difference between the fast recycle mode and slow recycle mode are.

The radio transmitter is pretty basic. Without a display I don’t know that I’d use it for remote power control.

With 2 units my plan is to set everything to channel 15. More to come. I have a hot shoe sync cable arriving from flash zebra so I’ll be pairing these with a YN-622c and testing HSS.

Thanks Adam,

The built in reflector would certainly help to push some light forward, but this light is clearly putting out a lot more light than the Godox units.

A stop difference with the standard reflectors is pretty surprising, especially considering the RoveLight is much lighter the RS600P’s combined weight (aprox 2.8kg vs 4.5kg).

I forgot to mention the RoveLight also auto dumps in HSS mode when the power levels are reduced.

They don’t do that in regular mode as they’re IGBT flashes. But this further indicates the flash is switching to a type of voltage controlled method with longer flash duration in the HSS mode.

40. exp0 7 years ago

do you know if the firmware is upgradable (maybe usb)?

• Adam 7 years ago

No USB ports on it.

41. exp0 7 years ago

can u remote control the flash power via a command module (maybe Yongnuo)?

• Adam 7 years ago

no, you have to use the included trigger to control flash power.

• exp0 7 years ago

the included trigger is lacking an lcd display.
        thanks Adam

42. exp0 7 years ago

is there a power socket to plug into the wall power when not using the battery?

• Adam 7 years ago

It has to be powered via the battery. You cannot have the battery charging while using it.

43. Joe D 7 years ago

Very intriguing unit. I’m getting close on buying one or two of these. I have been using Einsteins setup triggered with Pocketwizard and powers are controlled by AC3 zone controller.

Question is, if I were to use RoveLight along with Einsteins, can I trigger both systems using pocketwizard’s minitt1/flextt5 with TRS transmitter attached to it? How do I go about controlling the power output for each system?

Has anyone tried this setup?

44. David B 7 years ago

Just got mine, but can’t get the remote to work, plus it seems contradictory to me; wondering if I got the wrong transmitter somehow, as it does vary from the pic on the package somewhat, and also, there’s no led light on mine: https://www.dropbox.com/s/yghp776jmfjinp6/RoveLightDilemma.jpg?dl=0

Hi David,

That is the correct transmitter you have there.

There is an LED just below the channel dip switches. If you’re not seeing that light up every 5 seconds there may be an issue with the transmitter.

You have to hold the On button for a few seconds for the transmitter to turn on. You should be able to see the led at the tip of the transmitter flash as well as the LED just below the dip switches.

If you’re not getting any LED lights showing it may be the transmitter battery as well. So its worth just taking that out and putting back in, in case its just a contact issue.

• David B 7 years ago

My transmitter is clearly defective as I cannot get any led’s to light. I’ll arrange with Adorama to get a new one tomorrow (hopefully). In the meantime, I tested the strobe using 2 yn-622c’s and it was AWESOME. I also bought the Flashpoint 7″ Standard Reflector for Bowens with Grid 10′, as $20 for a grid is pretty cheap, and that is lots of fun, nice narrow beam.

• isaac 7 years ago

I have the same problem as david

• isaac 7 years ago

david, you replace the battery and it works fine, except that the camera does not recognize

45. Earle 7 years ago

Joe, I’ve played with the RoveLight on a Flex TT5. It will trigger but I have to use its proprietary trigger to change power. Chances are you’d have to do that too but could still change the power for the Einsteins from the AC3.

46. isaac 7 years ago

just bought mine, and do not know how to put it to shoot with the radio brings

Hi Isaac,

Can you see the 2 LED lights working on the transmitter unit when you press the buttons?

47. Guitarheroe13 7 years ago

Hi!
    So, it seems to be a good news, i was waiting for this “HSS” (long duration flash, i would say!)
    feature.
    Can we deduce that the Jinbei HD600II have the same feature?

I’m in France, and ordering the Roverlight would cost me an extra of 100$ and 20% taxes (80$) :s

• isaac 7 years ago

not

48. isaac 7 years ago

49. James Hays 7 years ago

I have a Phottix Odin controller. What else do I need to use this light in HSS mode?

Hi James,

You would need to either attach a Phottix receiver to the RoveLight, or place the Flashpoint TRS transmitter on a Phottix receiver. With the later you don’t need any extra receiver attached to the RoveLight.

The Phottix receiver could be an Odin receiver, or even a basic Strato II or Atlas II would be fine as well (with the Odin as transmitter on the camera).

I put some more details on HSS triggering in this post. Thanks.

50. mmmfotografie 7 years ago

I had a look and was disappointed by the shipping costs of 100 or 173 US Dollar to Europe.