FLASHPOINT – XPLOR 600 AC Power Adapter Released

XPLOR 600 AC Power Adapter

Adorama Flashpoint have released the AC power adapter for the popular XPLOR 600 TTL and Manual cordless strobes.

These are the Flashpoint rebrand of the Godox AD-AC Power Source.

So the AC adapter will also work with the Godox AD600B / BM strobes, and mains power from 100V – 250V.

XPLOR 600 AC Power Adapter

The AC power adapter allows the XPLOR 600 strobes to run directly from mains power where convenient, and for extended periods without the need for changing and recharging batteries.

Flash recycle time is also reduced slightly to under 2 seconds at full power.

A built-in fan keeps the transformer cool for extended use.

XPLOR 600 AC Power Adapter

The AC adapter clips on to the rear of the strobe in the same way as the Lithium-Ion battery packs, and weighs 1lb 3.5oz / 554g.

An 8 Foot / 2.4M power cord is also provided.

XPLOR 600 AC Power Adapter

The Flashpoint XPLOR 600 AC Power Adapters / Godox AD-AC are available from $100 –

Adorama, Amazon, UKEbay

Flashpoint – XPLOR 600

1. Joel 11 months ago

I actually wish there was a similar module for the PB960 power pack. The AD360 is quite a replacement for a studio strobe (miss the modeling light) but there are times I wish I had the option to power it off the mains.

2. mmmfotografie 11 months ago

It would be really strange when a only 120V is also produced. It is cheaper to produce a 110-250V version that you can ship world wide.

The fuse has to be 250V as stated on the fuseholder.

Yes I think that’s likely right. Though there are no specs available yet for the Godox version, and everyone is at Photokina at the moment, so I’m just trying to be safe.

So before anyone from Europe etc orders they would need to check on this first.

• Mike 11 months ago

Just been for a chat with one of the managers on the stand and if you look at the Godox badged version it is 100-250V and 50/60 Hz

Great thanks Mike!

• Mike 11 months ago

I can email a picture if you want

That’s cool, you don’t need to worry about that thanks.

If you have time it would be interesting to hear if the Yongnuo reps have anything to say about new flash gear on the cards. Its been a long time since they released any new flash gear.

• Mike 11 months ago

If you were to see their stand you would think nothing is coming, when you talk to them they confirm it, looks like a locking change on the 622TX is all we can expect.

Mike

3. Art 11 months ago

Yes! just what I wanted for xmas
    will get it as soon as it hits ebay!

4. Earle 11 months ago

That’s a really nice solution to AC power, especially since it takes the battery out of the equation entirely.

5. Craig 11 months ago

Has anyone else been having issues with their XPLOR 600 battery? After fully charging mine and not using it for a few weeks, it reported 0 charge, then reported 3/4 charged when I attached it to the charger, and then had no charge again when I unplugged it from the charger. It’s troubling that it not only discharged in a relatively short time, but that it also incorrectly reported that it was charged. Good thing I had a backup light for the shoot I was planning to use it at!

6. Rob 11 months ago

^^What I have found that if you remove the battery and store the battery separately from the unit likewise charge the unit separately you may not encounter any further issues. This happened to me the first month I had the strobe.

• Craig 10 months ago

I’ve been keeping the battery separate and still getting bad battery drain. It’s gotten worse lately and probably got about 50 flashes from a fully charged battery at yesterday’s wedding.

7. Seamless Media 11 months ago

I can confirm similar battery problems. Batteries were attached to the strobe and not used for a few weeks, 2 out of 3 batteries showed empty (All are Flashpoint versions). Caught me off guard and definitely lowered my confidence in these units, now will have the hassle of keeping them separated, taking up additional space in my bag to properly pad/compartmentalize. Wondering if the cause is the battery, or the strobe? Hopefully it can be addressed via firmware. Also it’s interesting that it happened to only 2 out of 3 units. It’s just like my Youngnou YN-E3-RT that I need to keep the AA batteries out of or it will drain them. Definitely frustrating, and starts to move them out of the realm of professional reliable equipment.

8. Andy 10 months ago

I, too, have the same problem (bought it from Adorama). Very frustrated and inconvenient. So, if i don’t use the unit (or after the shoot), i disconnect the battery. If i leave it on the unit for maybe a week, the battery indicator shows only 1 bar. But when i connect to to charger , the green bar is about 3/4.

So i think there are two bugs (or may i say the Flashpoint XPLOR 600 is defective):
    1. the firmware in the the unit does not show correctly the power level
    2. or the unit causes the battery drained when not in use.

Too bad, the unit i bought from Adorama has passed 30 days, so i can’t return.

• kevin 6 months ago

Did you ever find a solution to this problem, I also bought this unit via Amazon.com and Adorama are sending me a return label to send it back. Ive used it twice for 20 mins and at most 25 1/4 power flashes and I come back after a few days and the battery its dead. I have left it attached to the strobe because you should be able to. Has anyone had more success if the battery is separated? I simply can’t live with recharging this battery every time I want to use it. Any insight or solutions welcomed.

• Mike 6 months ago

Two things, the latest firmware update may help but easiest of all is do not store with battery attached.

Mike

• Mike 6 months ago

I meant without battery attached

9. mmmfotografie 10 months ago

The adapter is now available to not Adorama buyers. It has the name Godox AD-AC.

The box also contains a 5 meter long cable and you have to state which power plug you need:
    UK/EU/AU/US

The price seems to be 125 U$A

10. Seamless Media 9 months ago

I received my XPLOR AC adapter yesterday, is anyone else seeing an issue where the LCD backlight on the strobe, along with the LED modeling light if it’s on, will periodically blink off, paired with a very faint click that sounds like a tiny relay? This happens every 10-60 seconds, almost like there is a millisecond interruption in the power delivered from the adapter. Tested the same on 2 of my strobes.

Hi Seamless,

Yes as mmmfotografie mentions below, you likely want to replace the AC adapter.

Its only the 2 reports I know of so far, and Flashpoint would have sold quite few by now, so hopefully it doesn’t turn out to be a more common issue.

11. mmmfotografie 9 months ago
  12. Tim 8 months ago

I’ve had three of these AC adpaters from Adorama and all three have had varying levels of the issue described by Seamless and in mmmfotografie’s link — when powered by the adapter, the flash will sometimes shut off after it pops, requiring you to walk back to it and hit the power button soft key on the side of the flash before it’s ready again.

A couple of the adapters would shut down the flash after almost every pop, one of the adapters would only do it after 10 pops or so.

Waiting for replacements now.

Ok thanks Tim.

• Tim 8 months ago

My replacement adapters are now on ‘backorder’.
        I’m guessing/hoping that means that Adorama is working with the manufacturer to fix and quality test these before sending more replacements.

Just an update, the Flashpoint team have received the faulty AC adapters and sent them off to Godox who are waiting to test them.

Its still just a few people so far that are reporting this issue, out of the hundreds of AC adapters Adorama have sold already. So it appears to be a bit of a strange situation at this stage.

14. Seamless Media 8 months ago

I received my replacement AC adapter, and it has the same problem as the previous one. This is getting ridiculous. They should be testing the units before sending them out, as the boxes are not sealed from the factory anyway. Starting to lose confidence in the Flashpoint brand and the higher standard that they set for the Godox rebranded products. At this point I would tell everyone to avoid the AC unit and invest in extra batteries instead.

Hi Seamless,

Another person had the same result, though we still don’t know why. It sounds like it must be in combination with particular flash units then.

I’ll forward your comment to Flashpoint now.

• Tim 8 months ago

It’s certainly possible that the XPLOR units are the defective piece, not the AC adapter and the only time the defect shows up is when using the AC adapter…who knows.

I’d also guess that many people who are saying their AC adapters are fine are those who bought them for a rainy day, tested by plugging in once and seeing that it powers up the flash and then putting it away. In my case, the issue happens when you pop the flash a few times…then it powers down the XPLOR unit.

I’ll let you know if I get an update on the situation with Godox’s testing of the returned units.

Yes I think most people will be buying the AC adapters just in case they are needed at some stage. In general I think the batteries last longer if used more often, so generally I think its better to use the batteries first when possible anyway.

Still, after hearing the issues you would think more people would be looking for potential issues with theirs as well.

• Tim 7 months ago

I received two replacements from Adorama and we still have the same problem.
            We tried with another non-TTL XPLOR600 unit and didn’t have the problem so maybe the issue is with the XPLOR heads or some compatibility issue. Adorama has advised us to fill out a form at http://www.adorama.com/g/XPLOR_AC_Replacement_form
            to get updates on their efforts to fix the problem.

Ok thanks Tim. I’ll see if I can get an update on what they have found so far.

• Tim 5 months ago

Ellie at Adorama finally e-mailed a return label to us saying we can get replacements that are new stock. We’ll see if they are any better….

15. Paulo Ferreira Alves 8 months ago

About the flash recycle time with this adapter: Under 2 seconds is more like 1,9″ or 1.1″? I cannot find a test anywere… Can you help me?

16. mmmfotografie 8 months ago

…..slightly to under 2 seconds at full power is stated above. On battery it is 2.5 seconds.

17. Tim 4 months ago

Finally got my replacement AC adapters from Adorama and the new ones work correctly, so it looks like they’re safe to purchase now.
    I get just under 2 seconds recycle on full power (so yeah 1.9 seconds..ish) with the AC adapter.

Great, thanks for following up on this Tim.