January 24, 2017, 06:03:28 AM

Author Topic: Someone tried to flash Godox AD600BM to AD600B to enable TTL?  (Read 1996 times)

Ultrazauberer

• View Profile
Someone tried to flash Godox AD600BM to AD600B to enable TTL?
« on: November 27, 2016, 01:41:10 PM »
Hello guys,

I just wondering if someone tried to enable the TTL function by flashing the TTL firmware to the AD600BM strobe? I'm just think they maybe just enabled this feature with software and I'm think the electronics are the same. Don't get me wrong, I'm just interested in software and electronics so this comes into my mind.

Cheers!

TimHenrion

• View Profile
Re: Someone tried to flash Godox AD600BM to AD600B to enable TTL?
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2016, 12:16:21 PM »
My guess would be "probably not" for a couple of reasons:

1) The microcontrollers (electronic brains) used in these types of products give the manufacturers the ability to defeat these types of "load different firmware" mods. Implementing them is borderline trivial. In these cases, firmware becomes encrypted object code that can only by loaded by a product that has been pre-loaded at the factory with the appropriate "key". I'm not sure if Godox implements this scheme but I've seen other photographic accessory manufacturers do it.

2) Before his passing, I had a brief conversation with Paul C Buff about the possibility of adding TTL support to Buff Einsteins through firmware. He indicated that significant changes to the Einstein hardware would be required. That's not to say that Godox didn't design their hardware to be both TTL & non-TTL from the get-go. I'd wager that if they Godox did design the circuitry to be "dual purpose", they did it in such a way that they could save money when manufacturing the non-TTL version by leaving the TTL parts of the circuit de-populated at manufacture. Thatís a pretty common practice.

Just my thoughts...