GODOX AD200 WITSTRO – Cordless TTL Strobe Released

GODOX AD200

Godox have released the ground breaking AD200 Witstro cordless strobe, also available as the Flashpoint eVOLV 200 TTL .

The AD200 / eVOLV are 200Ws cordless Lithium-ion powered TTL and HSS enabled strobes with Godox 2.4GHz X-system radio receiver built inside, compatible with, Canon, Nikon, Sony, M4/3, and Fuji camera systems.

Don’t be fooled by the name or Ws rating though, the AD200 are only around 03 to 0.5 stops less powerful than the well proven AD360II, and come in a remarkably more compact and convenient all in one package.

GODOX AD200

Being dedicated off camera flashes having no hotshoe, the AD200 provide similar compact size of a speedlite, though with considerable added power.

Another ground breaking feature of the AD200 is a modular interchangeable flash head system, which provides the option of either bare bulb or traditional speedlite fresnel head (fixed at 35mm, no zoom).

With various other head options becoming available, including an LED head, and Ring Light adapters in flash and LED versions.

GODOX AD200

And to take the AD200 to another level again, there is now also an EVOVL Twin Head Bracket / Godox AD-B2, which will combine two EVOLV 200 / Godox AD200 strobes into a single 400Ws light source!

The twin bracket providing a Bowens S-type mount, and dual unobstructed LED modelling lights.

The bracket can be used with dual flashes for extra power, or with a single flash to add a very useful LED modelling light.

The original AD200 flash bulbs can be used, or a single AD360 bulb centered in the bracket.

Flashpoint EVOLV Twin Head

GODOX WITSTRO AD200 FEATURES

• Power – 200Ws
  • Bare Bulb Head – GN 60m, ISO 100 (AD360 reflector)
  • Speedlite Head – GN 52m ISO 100
  • Flash Modes – TTL / M / Multi
  • FEC / FEB – 1/3rd Increments (±3 Stops)
  • FEL (Flash Exposure Lock)
  • Godox 2.4GHz X Radio System
  • Canon, Nikon, Sony, M4/3, Fuji, Radio Slave Modes (Auto Switching)
  • Range – 100m + with X1 as Transmitter
  • Groups – A / B / C / D / E
  • S1/S2 Optic Slave Modes
  • Flash Duration Frensel Head – 1/220s – 1/13000s
  • Flash Duration Bare Bulb Head – 1/220s – 1/11300s
  • Color Temperature – 5600 +/- 200k
  • 14.4V 2900mAh Lithium-ion Battery
  • 520 Full Power Flashes
  • 0.01 – 2.1 Second Recycle Time
  • Custom Functions
  • LED Modelling Light (Fresnel Head Only)
  • USB Port for Firmware Upgrades
  • 3.5mm Sync Port
  • Communication Port (For XTR-16 / FTR-16 Receivers)

Godox AD200

The AD200 can be mounted via a 1/4″ 20 threaded mounting hole on either side of the flash (allowing landscape or portrait orientation when using the speedlite head).

GODOX AD200

SPECIFICATIONS

GODOX AD200

The Godox AD200 / eVOLV 200 are available now from $299 –

EVOLV 200 – Adorama, Amazon, Ebay

GODOX AD200 – AmazonUK, B&H PhotoEbay

Godox – Website

1. Chad Philp 5 months ago

Does this kit come with the trigger?
    If not, which ones will work and how much do they cost?

Hi Chad,

Some sellers will likely offer bundle deals with a transmitter included, though the strobe itself does not normally come with a transmitter.

If you want the full TTL capability, you will need the Godox X1T / Flashpoint R2 transmitter. And they are available in Canon, Nikon, or Sony, versions.

There is also the XT-32, and XT-16 transmitters which are Remote Manual only, though the XT-32 still provide HSS.

There is more information on the Godox System Overview here. I’m working on updating that to include the AD200 etc.

2. Tim Parker 5 months ago

Can I trigger the Godox Witstro AD200 with a pocket wizard?

Hi Tim,

Yes as long as you attach a PocketWizard receiver to that flash via sync cord (3.5mm miniphone plug).

• Mattie O 3 months ago

Would that be manual only or fully functional ttl, hss and power control?

• Motti Bembaron 1 month ago

I don’t believe that you will have any TTL or HSS when using pocket wizard. You will have simple manual and you will have to control the power from the flash itself and not from the trigger.

Just buy the X1 trigger, it is around $35. It’s a well built, has great range and excellent control features.

Flash Havoc 1 month ago

Hi Mattie O,

There is no TTL or Remote Manual power control of the AD200 possible directly with any PocketWizards.

You can do HSS though if using a transmitter (and receiver attached to the flash via sync cord) which provide the HSS early fire signal. HSS mode needs to be engaged directly on the flash though, and switched off manually as well.

At the same time you can remotely control the manual power levels of the flash using a Godox transmitter (X1T / XT32 / XT-16) in hand. Though if you press the test fire button on the Godox transmitter it will disable HSS mode on the flash. (So test fire the flash via the other triggers being used to fire the flash if needed).

• Pete Delaney 4 weeks ago

What about the Sekonic L478DR for Pocket wizard? The light meter can be seen on the Sekonic advertising videos controlling the power level of flashes remotely via the Pocket Wizards, but will it work with say PocketWizard plus iii units plugged into the AD200? Different protocols? I would like to use this with a Fuji XT-2/Pocket Wizard/AD200 (or Pika200 rebranded) combination – but suspect it’s just not going to work because of protocols etc?

Flash Havoc 4 weeks ago

Hi Pete,

No the Plus III can not communicate with the flash to change power levels, they just provide a simple fire signal via the flashes sync port.

And the AD200 do not have a hotshoe to connect TTL triggers like the PocketWizard TT5/TT6, so they can only fire the flash as well.

You would need to either connect a Godox transmitter to the Sekonic meter via PC sync cord, or as most people do just set the meter to cordless mode, and use the test fire button on the transmitter to fire the flash and the meter automatically detects the flash and takes a reading.

• Pete Delaney 4 weeks ago

Thank you – It’s a bloomin’ minefield out there 😉 – you find something useful, then find it won’t work. It’s great that Sekonic can remotely fire AND change the power levels/ratios on some lights, but clearly the system is still pretty limited. Even their Phottix 478-px meter can ONLY remotely fire the Indra stobes, but can’t change power levels remotely too. Frustrating…
                Pete 🙂

• Pete 1 month ago

You sure about that? I’m sitting here with it connected up to a PW Plus III and it won’t fire. I don’t need HSS when using the PW system (have the Godox trigger for that), but I host workshops and need to be able to share my lighting setups with random camera systems.

Flash Havoc 1 month ago

Hi Pete,

It certainly should work. I don’t have any PocketWizards here to confirm right now, though I have lots of other manual triggers which work fine with the receiver connected via sync cord to the AD200 flash.

And I very much doubt the Plus III shouldn’t be doing the same if working correctly. So I’m not sure whats going wrong for you there. The flash will fire via the sync port whether its still in radio slave mode or not.

3. Mr. Paul Ellis 5 months ago

Elvis, how do you think these compare directly to the AD180 in light output, battery power, recycling time (compared with the Y-cord) and number of pops? The AD200 is a very neat package and looks to me to be much quicker to set up than the AD180.

Hi Paul,

I don’t have an AD180 here to compare directly now. Though more of the problem a the moment is the people are reporting quite different power results with their sample units. So I really need to wait for some production units to get a more accurate idea. Godox could easily use a different flash bulb or even dial the power up down in the flash.

The AD200 recycle time is a little better than the AD360II with Y cord, so its definitely not going to match the AD180 with Y cord. That’s the trade off though for a much simpler compact unit.

My sample is only 0.3 stops behind the AD360II though, so in that case there is hardly any trade off at all. Recycle is almost equal at the same power output.

4. Chris McCooey 5 months ago

How the heck do you attach a softbox to these?

5. zoltandezoltan 5 months ago

As I understand, there is no option to attach PB960 external battery pack to the AD200, it that right?

• zoltandezoltan 5 months ago

Also, any news on how much an extra battery will cost for the AD200?

• Motti Bembaron 1 month ago

There is no external battery option for now. Maybe they will have one that works with the USB port in the future. A battery costs around $96 CDN or around $70USD (Ebay)

• Mike 5 months ago

no external battery option

Hi Zoltan,

No there is no external HV battery port provided with the AD200.

There is one WB29 battery listed on Ebay for $64.95, so that may at least be some indication of the price.

6. Robert Montoya 5 months ago

It look like adorama Flashpoint eVOLV 200 will ship 4/4/2017

Great thanks Robert!

7. Joel Richards 5 months ago

Wish the flash head was zoomable (even manually). Do you know if Godox plans to release any at different zoom settings? Or a swappable fresnel lens?

Hi Joel,

Godox originally mentioned a number of accessories they were considering, and a zoom head was not even on the list unfortunately.

A dual bracket mount was though, and I agreed that would be my priority, though I also explained to them the other main priority (well above the other accessories) would be a zoom head, even if it was manual only.

They came back saying they would do a dual S-type mount (though no confirmation on included a modeling light), and separate flash and LED ring light heads.

So that’s all I know at this stage. And I’ve been pressing them for an upgrade to the V860II or master flash at the moment as well, and still waiting to hear back on that, as well as various things along the way with the transmitter. So I have to give them some time before trying to get some answers on their intentions with the AD200.

Having said all that, a zoom head is so obvious (even if Godox don’t realise it just yet) I think its just a matter of when than if. But when may be quite some time away (if we can’t possibly get them to see reason earlier).

• Jan Niolas 5 months ago

To start with, I want to express my appreciation for your work and engagement with your readers. Thanks!
        When I first read about the AD200 I was quite disappointed when I understood that the ‘normal’ head would not include a zoom function. While I understand some of the thoughts that probably lead to such a decision, I still think Godox missed a huge opportunity leaving such an option out of the concept and the 35mm instead of 24mm doesn’t make things better. (And no, barn doors are not a substitute for zoom). With a zoom head I’d most likely stand in line to buy three or four of these to replace a majority of my strobes.
        The other element I can’t really understand is the limitation of firing the flash only when fully charged. Can you – or somebody else – at least try to explain to me the reason for such a limitation? Why shouldn’t I be able to fire two 1/2 power shots in rapid succession?
        3rd Could you comment on the connection between head[s] and body? Very prone to dust/slight humidity?
        Thanks, j.

Hi Jan,

Thanks for that.

I think the reason Godox would have chosen the 35mm is because they had to provide a balance between output and light spread/angle, while retaining a similar output to the standard reflector.

Strobes don’t generally fire before they are fully recycled so that you know you’re going to get consistent light output at a certain power level etc. Though some speedlites do allow you to fire a little earlier than full recycle.

For an off camera flash like the AD200 it wouldn’t hurt to have a separate mode allowing you to fire early, though it would want to be an option you can choose to turn on or off. I would guess where the feature may be more of a challenge to implement is when you start wanting to choosing a point where the output would be too low to waste the flash firing at all (when it could otherwise be recycling in that time to a usable level instead).

The AD200 head connection is somewhat like a scaled down version of the AD600 battery connection. The electrical contacts are quite course (passing a fair amount of current to the flash tube etc) so they are not really fine electronics contacts. I don’t think dust and humidity will generally be an issue there.

• bob 4 months ago

What sense does it make to fire when half charged? if you are metering and want consistent light you want the same amount each time.

Mike

• Greg 4 months ago

Sometimes you’ll go several seconds without a photo opportunity, and then need a few shots very quickly – this is pretty common when shooting an indoor sport. If you’re in manual mode and shooting at (say) 1/4 power, you can technically get 4 shots off very rapidly without depleting the charge on the capacitor, each one at the selected output level. I make use of this feature all the time with my AD360.

If you needed to wait the full recharge time between shots regardless of power level, there wouldn’t be much advantage to selecting a lower power level other than possibly DoF control. In sports shoots, the DoF is already pretty narrow as it is.

• Mike 4 months ago

But the flash does not fully discharge if shooting less than full power i.e. you only have to replace the charge that has been used which is why recharging at lower powers is almost instantaneous.

Mike

• Motti Bembaron 1 month ago

The AD200 does NOT have to be fully charged when shooting. I put the AD200 on 1/8 power and my D750 on slow burst, I took 9 shots without missing any. Same exposure on all of them. I believe that slow burst is around 2.5 frame per second.

I then switched to high burst (D750 with a battery grip), I think it’s 8 frames per second and shot 9 frames. Again, no change in exposure, all are perfectly the same.

• Paul R 4 months ago

Thanks very much for all the info. Dual bracket sounds great. Will there be a new single bracket? I hear that the AD200 is a tight fit for the old bracket.

Hi Paul,

I would imagine Godox will refine the standard S-type bracket again over time (there have been a number of versions already believe it or not), though I don’t know if they will rush into it as the AD200 does fit, its just a bit tight.

That’s easy to fix though anyway, all you have to do is take a pair of scissors and cut a couple of millimeters off the top edges off the top clamp’s rubber cover, so the clamp can raise a little higher. Then the AD200 slides right through no problems.

That’s definitely worth doing, as its far more enjoyable to use the strobes when you’re not struggling to push them in and out of brackets all the time. A simple change that makes a big difference.

• Paul R 4 months ago

Thanks very much

• Motti Bembaron 1 month ago

Very true Elvis, just cut a couple of mm of the clamp rubber cover and it’s done. AD200 fits, no problem.

8. Harold 5 months ago

I agree that a zoom head should be a priority for Godox, even a fixed coverage of 20-24mm would be preferable to the current 35mm coverage for quick setups with umbrellas.

9. stoian penov 4 months ago

Hi , can we compare ad200 with profoto B2

• Motti Bembaron 1 month ago

@stolan, I believe the B2 are more powerful than the AD200 (about three times the output). They also cost 7 times more 🙂

• alastair lever 4 months ago

Excellent, was hoping they would offer a bare bulb only option.
      Just ordered one.

Ok thanks, the listing didn’t last long though.

Godox did say they would try and provide single head kits at a lower price later. Though no one else appears to have any available at this stage.

10. Ken 4 months ago

Do we have any data on how this compares to the AD360 in terms of measured output? Ed at Cheetahstand said (I think) that it output only 1/3 stop less light than the AD360. If that can be confirmed that, to me, would be a pretty darn solid performance for a less powerful light and much, Much improved form factor. Especially when you could put a dual 1/4-20 thread screw between 2 of these to mount them together and have a pretty serious portable light.

• bob 4 months ago

From my tests it all depends on the light modifier used and i have seen between 8/10 and 4/10 difference

Hi Ken,

Please see my original comment here.

Also see this comment regarding the AD600 comparison.

I’m getting around 1/3rd of a stop less that the AD360II with the AD200 sample I have, though there have been a number of conflicting results up to 0.8 stops less from various people with AD200 samples.

So we will have to wait and hear what more people say with the production units. And I don’t want to jump into the early units available from China because Godox may revise things after the early batches (if anything likely going more conservative possibly lowering output). I’ll likely wait and buy Flashpoint versions at this stage.

You could actually fit 4 of these on the smaller 16″ Phottix Multi Boom. With Fresnel heads and a double fold umbrella that would be an incredibly compact hand held set up which would blow away an AD600 (likely even with 1200Ws remote head). And also split up into a full 4 light kit.

• Ken 4 months ago

WoW, I hadn’t seen your Original Comment you linked to! OR the other one for that matter. Really great stuff. I think I might buy one of these instead of a replacement AD600. At least for now.

11. Francesco 4 months ago

With bare flash would it be better (i.e. softer light) to use the fresnel head or the bare bulb with the standard ad360 reflector? In the latter case I wonder what would be the use of the fresnel head other than rim light applications….

Hi Francesco,

I’m not sure if softer is completely the right term, though the light pattern and fall of from the bare bulb and reflector is a much nicer round pattern with even gradient fall off. So in places where the light pattern can actually bee seen on the background etc the bare bulb is generally a better option.

Provided the light is pretty close to the subject the bare bulb does wrap around a little more, and shadows can have a slightly softer transition.

I think the main purpose of the fresnel head at this stage is just for convenience. The bare bulb is a bit larger and more delicate, and you need to carry the larger reflectors etc. For people trying to travel as light and compact as practical the fresnel head will certainly help. Even wedding photographers may prefer the fresnel heads for convenience, if they are just going to be bounced off the ceiling in a reception etc anyway.

Obviously a zoom head would be a different story, that could have quite an advantage of not having to carry a large long throw reflector for the bare bulb. (SMDV made a nice compact long throw reflector for their strobe, though its still quite big).

• Motti Bembaron 1 month ago

I have Norman reflectors and they fit the bare bulb perfectly. The light is delivered is a bit softer but not much (as far as I can see although I only had them for a week now).

Bar bulb will be great in small space, like where the bride is getting ready. Put a flag or a wide reflector and aim it to the wall. I am going to try it soon.

12. Bob B. 4 months ago

So..if I use an X1-C transmitter with my Canon 5D III with an AD200 …I get full functionality (i.e. TTL, HSS and all groups, etc) without the need to have a separate receiver for the strobe head, correct?

13. Andy 4 months ago

Edward Tang from Cheetahstand just said that they will be custom making a CTS coloured flash tube for the AD200 in Texas. Do you know if that is something that Godox will be doing themselves?

• Ken 4 months ago

CTS tube?

• kennie 4 months ago

CTS means Color Temperature Straw. Straw is more like yellow, so if CTO is not “Hipster” enough …CTS is the new thing to have. 😉

• Ken 4 months ago

Oh jeez. I’d rather do specialized color grades and split toning or whatever in post. I want gels to match ambient mostly at least. Baking into the original exposure a trendy thing seems not a great idea to me. But, cool that they’ll be able to do things with these modular heads on these units!

I think Straw was designed to match sunsets a bit better than regular CTO. (So still something of a color correction gel).

• Ken 4 months ago

Nice. Seems like it wouldn’t be faster than a gel though. Interesting to see where they’re going with this.

• adam 3 months ago

I would use a slightly warmed flash tube. I can’t seem to find any way to lock the settings. I am guessing that has been removed.

• Motti Bembaron 1 month ago

They sell heat resistant color gels for peanuts. Make strips of them with small Velcro and wrap around the tube, voila! CTO or CTS or whatever..

14. CK 4 months ago

Is this weather sealed?

Hi CK,

No the AD200 are not weather sealed. They have air vents running along the sides near the base.

15. mmmfotografie 4 months ago

I noticed that the going price for the AD200 is 500 euros..Godox has went again wrong with the price like with the AD360II last year. Will they ever learn to be smarter!?

• Andy 4 months ago

where is that price??
      I picked it up from ebay for £255 (and worked out just over €300), and most of the sellers on ebay and amazon are similar

• Memski 4 months ago

It is the Dutch price on cameranu.nl
      Don’t blame it on Godox or the retailer. This al has to do with the import and sale tax and of course the profit margin of the retailer as well.

16. alastair lever 4 months ago

AD200 arrived in post this morning. Charging it now and I’m going to take it along to tomorrows job for a test.

17. Mikko 4 months ago

Is there a modelling light for using ad200 with the bare bulb option? These would be a good option to replace my elinchrom studio strobes if there was a modelling light to use with elinchrom bracket and elinchrom softboxes/octaboxes but would be difficult to use without modelling light when shooting wide open in a studio

Hi Mikko,

I don’t know the exact details yet, though Godox are apparently producing a Bowen’s S-type bracket (to be available soon) with its own built in 20 watt LED modelling light, for use with one or two AD200, something along the lines of the bracket I suggested in this post.

I don’t know of any mention of an Elinchrom mount version though. If the bracket turns out to be all plastic like the current speedlite brackets I would think an Elinchrom version may be possible later. If its using the AD600B metal Bowen’s mount similar to what I suggested I would guess an Elinchrom mount version would be less likely to happen.

18. Mohit Singhal 4 months ago

How I Will charge the Lithium Battery? Do They Will provide The Charger Or We Have to Buy It From Somewhere Else. And is it Safe to buy This From amazon.
    And Is it Compatible with the Canon Mark 4?
    I Am from India.
    Reply As Soon As Possible.
    I have to order it.

Hi Mohit,

I think the flashes should all come with a charger, I’m not aware of any kits available without a charger.

If you can purchase from an “Amazon Fulfilled” seller that’s easiest to return / exchange the flash etc if there are any issues.

Yes the transmitters and flashes are compatible with the Canon 5D Mark 4.

• Motti Bembaron 1 month ago

The AD200 comes with a battery charger.

19. Job 4 months ago

Hi…

If im going to use a pocket wizard III is this compatible with fujifilm x cameras? Specially the HSS function…

Hi Job,

If you want HSS you would need to use something like the Cactus V6 II transmitter and mount your PocketWizard transmitter on top of the V6 II. If you’re not firing other flashes with the PocketWizards at the same time, then you could skip those and just mount a Godox transmitter like the XT16 or XT32 on top of the V6 II.

Another option just available from Roboshoot, provides full TTL and HSS if you mount the Godox X1 tranmsitter on top of their MX-20 transmitter.

The third option would be to wait for Godox to release their Fuji TTL gear. As far as I understand the Fuji version TT350 speedlite should be coming in the next few months. The larger flashes and transmitters would follow later in the year. The TT350 should have a master mode though.

20. Jesse Patterson 4 months ago

I just found out the umbrella adapter from the Godox AD-S6 does not fit on my eVOLV 200. Has anyone else had that issue? I wonder if there will be an adapter specifically for the AD200.

• Teo 4 months ago

Yes I can confirm. I’m tested after your request and the umbrella adapter AD-s6 does not fit on my AD200. Its looks like the head is need a little trim to feed the adapter

I see what you mean, the AD200 head is shaped slightly differently. I haven’t heard anything about a new umbrella adapter, though I’ll see what I can find out.

• Teo 4 months ago

I manage to trim a lower side of the adapter with a dremel so now can sit higher on the head and adding a little space to the hall where is the bolt. Now is okay, it doesn’t look very professional but is doing the job. If you want to try, in your own risk. I have a second adapter that’s why I took the risk

Thanks Teo,

Using the swivel umbrella mount also kind of works with the umbrella reflector. Really the reflector needs a new hole drilled then for the umbrella shaft to line up properly though.

UPDATE – The Flashpoint eVOLV 200‘s have arrived, and the power is the same as my original Godox AD200 sample.

So only 0.3 stops less than the AD360II in the same 38″ Glow ParaPop.

And just one stop behind the AD600B / XPLOR if I push the eVOLV an inch further into the softbox.

• Ken 4 months ago

That is pretty brilliant. Especially if they make a bracket to mount 2 of these in.

Yes Godox are making a dual S-type bracket at the moment, and apparently it will have a built-in 20 watt LED modelling light.

I still haven’t seen the details of the design, and I really hope they get this right, because it could potentially make a major difference to the practicality of these strobes for some time to come.

• alexis hoang 4 months ago

Hello, being able to add a second AD200 will win 1 stop, is that right?

• Jay 4 months ago

Is that with the bare bulb or fresnel head?
      So, the Godox AD200 with a wattage of 200ws is fairly closely (.3 stops) comparable to the power of a Godox AD360? If ws reported are true, how could that possible? I’m more curious than anything.

Yes that’s with the bare bulb head.

I’m not familiar with the calculations, though from the size of the capacitors in each flash others are saying the real comparison appears to be something more like 180Ws Vs 307Ws. And from 200Ws to 300Ws is a third of a stop, so the results are somewhat understandable.

I may also be alone on this, though I have two older AD360 where their flash tubes provide 0.3 stops more light than the two AD360II I have. So the AD200 are 0.6 stops behind the AD360/AD360II with old flash tubes installed.

So maybe that explains why some other people are saying there is around 0.5 stops difference, I have even heard as much as 0.8 stops.

Unless I have just happened to get two AD360II with lower output bulbs though, I would have to assume they have been intentionally downgraded (possibly to allow the extra shots in HSS etc the AD360II provide).

• Motti Bembaron 1 month ago

So it is only one stop less than the AB600? That’s amazing

22. Craig 4 months ago

My Adorama eVOLV 200 (their rebranded AD200) arrived the other day and I thought I’d share my thoughts on it.

Overall, I’m quite happy with it. Something I absolutely love about this unit is the total size, weight, speed, and power of this unit with the bare bulb head combined with the Godox AD-S7 softbox. Throw in a compact light stand or a small travel tripod and you have a very competent light in a very small package.

The form factor is great. It fills a much needed gap between traditional strobes, which are very portable but have limited power and can be cumbersome to use with light modifiers; units like the AD360, which are more powerful but cumbersome due to separate battery pack and cords; and battery powered monolights like the AD600/XPLOR600 which are self contained and powerful, but much bulkier and heavier.

Probably the closest competitor to the eVOLV 200 is the SMDV BRiHT-360. While I prefer the overall design of the BRiHT-360, the eVOLV has a few things going for it. First, it is significantly less expensive at less than half the price. Next, whereas the eVOLV is compatible with a broad range of other lights from Godox and Adorama, the BRiHT is the lone light in the SMDV lineup. Finally, the diameter of the speedbox mount on the eVOLV (Godox AD-S7) is much smaller than the diameter of the SMDV speedboxes, making the AD-S7 much more compact when packed.

Getting back to the eVOLV 200 features, the option to switch between the included fresnel head and barebulb head is very cool and not just a gimmick in my opinion. The fresnel is more compact, has a built in modeling light, and comes with an excellent set of barndoors. The barebulb is less compact and more delicate, but has some great light modifiers available to use with it.

Unlike the identical Godox AD200, this kit comes with barndoors, grid, and magnetic clip-on gels. The metal barndoors have impressive build quality. The gels are very clever, but I wish it came with a blank gel clip for mounting your own gels. The grid that snaps inside of the barndoors is a thin plastic, but I’m not concerned about it getting damaged since the barndoor flaps protect it when not in use. One thing I don’t like about the barndoors are how hard it is to detach. I was worried I might break the light the first time I took them off. And while I like the magnetic attachment method for the gels, I don’t like that it makes the barndoor attachment significantly wider than the rest of the light.

I’m really happy with the interface of this unit. Clean, decent assortment of features, but most importantly quick and easy to change settings I use most frequently. I find some strobes such as the Godox TT685 overwhelming with all it’s modes which can slow me down in the middle of a shoot. I also like the clearly labeled and easily accessed “reset” function. This can be great if the light isn’t working as expected because of maybe a custom function you forgot you changed. Rather than having to dig through menus, just hold the reset buttons and it’s back to factory settings.

My biggest complaint about this light is the mount design. It has three 1/4″ holes, one on the bottom, one on the side, plus a third one on the side of the barebulb head. While I like that it has multiple attachment points, and 1/4″ threads are better than hotshoe feet, 1/4″ thread is not very secure, especially without some kind of rubber material to help prevent the included stud from unthreading. Especially because the unit is heavier than a traditional strobe, it is prone to coming loose with just a little rotational force.

The included umbrella bracket is nice and small compared to traditional ones, but makes little sense how it attaches. A male spigot threads into one of the light’s 1/4” holes, the spigot goes in the top of the mounting bracket, and then a screw tightens on the spigot. This makes little sense because it makes it difficult to sufficiently tighten the spigot enough to not be prone to loosening from rotational force. And if you do tighten it sufficiently hard, it can be difficult to remove and you then have a spigot sticking out of the light which makes it inconveniently shaped when packing. If they had designed the mounting bracket to prevent rotation like on the BRiHT-360, it would have eliminated this problem. What I did to remedy this was attach an arca swiss plate to mine. It hardly adds any bulk, and it’s very quick to attach/detach to a light stand with an arca swiss compatible ballhead mount on top. It also easily attaches to my tripod now too. You lose the umbrella mounting capability with a ballhead, but if that’s important you can alternatively attach an arca style clamp to an umbrella bracket. What I really wish was if the unit had an integrated arca swiss rail along the entire side of it. Not only would it be more versatile and secure, it would also allow you to adjust how far forward or back the light is mounted for better balance.

Other minor complaints:
    No zoom function on the fresnel head. No modeling light on bare bulb.

Screen and controls are flush on rear panel. Would be nice if there were corner bumpers to protect it like on the BRiHT-360.

Doesn’t come with protective cover for the bare bulb, and the ones available separately are almost an inch longer than they need to be.

Thanks for the detailed feedback Craig.

They should have put at least two 1/4″ threaded mounting holes next to each other so that you can mount things without them rotating, as well as help spread the load on the mounting points.

I would like to see a more compact S-type bracket specifically designed for these, because that clamping style mount also provides a good safety buffer if a stand goes over. Attaching via the threaded hole you’re bound to crack the flash body in the same situation. Even the current S-type bracket I could shave down quite a bit if not using the pop up softbox ring section. But a dedicated bracket could be quite compact, and with the umbrella mount closer to the flash.

I saw someone had also cut back a standard reflector just to reduce the size, I might experiment with that as well.

It would also be nice if one of the companies made a silicon rubber cover for these strobes, like they make for camera bodies etc.

23. Mark Kitaoka 4 months ago

Is there a trick in how to safely remove the barn door attachment from the flash head? Once I placed it on the unit I cannot figure out how to remove it. Thanks

• Hugo G 4 months ago

I had to use a flat plastic tool to detach it, like a flat screwdriver … Its too tight for my fingers …

• Mark Kitaoka 4 months ago

Thanks I finally pried it up with my fingernails. Not easy!

24. Ej Cabaltera 3 months ago

hi just wanted to know if this will work on fuji system and will the hss work?

can i use cactus v6 trigger

Hi Ej Cabaltera,

Eventually the AD200 should work with the Fuji system, and with HSS and TTL.

Though the first Godox transmitter for Fuji (actually a master flash), the TT350F, are only just being released in the next month or so. And then the AD200 will still require a firmware update to provide the Fuji TTL radio slave mode. And we don’t know yet when that firmware update is going to be available.

So you may be best to follow the comments in the TT350F post here, to see how this evolves, and what function the AD200 may have before the firmware update is available.

Regarding the Cactus V6 trigger, they are not directly compatible with the Godox strobes, so you would need a V6 receiver attached to the flash via sync cord (the AD200 has no hotshoe like a speedlite). There would be no remote power control or HSS etc through the V6 triggers then though.

If you meant the Cactus V6 II, and wanting to use HSS with those, then something could be possible by mounting a Godox transmitter on top of the V6 II transmitter mounted on the camera hotshoe.

The Godox system will be much more simply integrated though, so I personally wouldn’t buy V6 II at this stage to use instead of waiting on a Godox Fuji transmitter or master flash unit.

25. Mark Kitaoka 3 months ago

I was able to use one of these units on a commercial shoot today. Remarkable versatility of this unit.

26. Benson 3 months ago

How bright is this relative to speedlights(600ex-rt, sb-910)? About twice? Thx.

• Hugo G 3 months ago

more closely to three times the power of regular speedlites

• Benson 3 months ago

thank you Hugo G. I appreciate it.

27. Alex Anderson 3 months ago

Cant seem to get the AD200 to fire using a Yongnuo 603 trigger with a synnc cord, anyone got any ideas. I’m using it underground caving and needs to fit in with my Yongnuo YN560iii’s.

Hi Alex,

I just gave it a try with the RF-603C II and the RF-605C and they both work fine.

I don’t have any original RF-603, though looking a the specs I don’t think there is any difference with the sync port.

Maybe its your sync cord, can you check to see that’s firing anything else?

• Alex Anderson 3 months ago

Thanks for the reply, I’m using a 2.5mm lead with a converter to 3.5mm for thee flash head, maybe its the converter.
        Which lead are you using ?

28. rtwo2008 3 months ago

Does godox have any plans to release an AC power adapter for the AD200?

• Mike 3 months ago

I doubt it, no similarity to the AD600 and they never made one for the AD360, form factor would suggest never a consideration but with Godox, never say Never

Mike

29. Adam 2 months ago

I remember reading something about a new LED head? Or a new version with LEDs? Any news? 🙂

30. Mark 2 months ago

I’m surprised I haven’t seen anyone come up with a set of CTO gels for the gel holder yet?

31. Berg 2 months ago

When paired with a x1 trigger can you adjust the flash power on the ad200 itself?

Hi Berg,

You can adjust the power level on the flash itself, and it will remain on the flash provided you don’t either make any power level or mode changes on the transmitter. Or press the test fire button on the transmitter. So it may be a little bit tricky if you have to do any of those with the transmitter.

With the XT32 transmitter that updates the strobes power level to match the transmitter before every shot (or instantly as you adjust the transmitter) so that’s no help either unfortunately.

And incidentally firmware V20 for the X1T-C adds a custom function 8, which also provides the option to send the power levels before each shot.

So the main option may be the XT-16 transmitter, though I just realized I don’t have one here to check. All I could try is using an FT-16 transmitter, and FTR-16 receiver attached to the AD200, and that worked. The transmitter test fire button did not update the strobe, and either did changing power levels on other strobe groups.

To use the FTR-16 receiver though I had to take the AD200 out of radio mode though, so I don’t know if using an FT-16 transmitter directly with the strobe in radio mode will work the same or not unfortunately (so you may have to use an XTR-16, or FTR-16 receiver).

• Bas 2 months ago

Hi Flash Havoc,
        How do you know about firmware V20?
        I am hearing comments on the rumor forums that some people already have it. But Godox has not put it for a download yet. What’s the story???

Hi Bas,

The firmware was posted in the X1-C comments here.

I’m not sure if its ready for release or not (as there are still issues with the 5D IV camera flash menu at least).

Godox may just be slow at updating their website.

32. Areti Bratsis 2 months ago

Can I usa a Godox Flash TT685C on camera as a master and then trigger the AD200 off camera?

Hi Areti,

Yes you can certainly use the TT685C as a master on the camera with the AD200 as a slave.

You have full TTL, HSS, and remote manual power control.

33. Mark Kitaoka 2 months ago

I recently MARVELED at the size flexibility of these units! My article has been updated to reflect that view.

34. Burndawg 2 months ago

I own 2 Godox ad200 and planing on mainly work with the fresnel head since I think the barebulb attached is a bit to long for transportation and crazy globetrodding as I do. Long story short I love the system so much but the fresnel head has a weird light output. I always get two overexposed lines on the top and botten of my photo. It seems like where the led light is build in it is more light coming true cause the flash optical glass or how’s it called that plastic plate is not fully covered to the ends.

Does someone else experienced this ? Is it possible to take that thing out ? I already taped off the led area, so it seems it’s gone. But then the flash looked heavy stupid.

Thanks a lot in advance

Burndawn

Hi Burndawg,

The Fresnel head flash patterns have never been Godox’s strong point (though believe it or not they have come a long way since their original speedlites).

Removing the Fresnel lens is an interesting thought though, and had me curious. And the Fresnel is actually easy to remove just by undoing the 2 screws that hold the head together.

And to my surprise there is actually a thick piece of glass behind the Fresnel lens, with a rubber seal. I thought the flash tube was actually vented with air cooling, but Godox have used a thick piece of glass to insulate the Fresnel from being melted instead.

The light pattern without the Fresnel lens is not great though, just a long narrow band following the shape of the flash tube. So its probably going to take some trial and error to find a nice piece of diffusion material to use instead of the Fresnel. I tried a YN560III wide angle diffuser panel, and that really spread the light out, though still didn’t provide an even light pattern.

Simply turning the AD200 Fresnel lens over though looks to provide a better spread of light to help fill umbrellas etc. Though still not really even for a direct light source.

35. david 2 months ago

My AD200 is not working as it should in ttl mode with my sony a7ii, it is 2 stops under exposed. will they be fixing this problem with a firmware update any time soon ?

Hi David,

If you’re referring to the issue at apertures wider than F4, then that’s not specifically an issue with the AD200, I think it affects all the Godox strobes when used with the A7RII.

Godox have been aware of that for some time now, though I don’t know when a fix will be available, they are meant to be working on it (though they are under pressure to release M4/3 and Fuji at the moment as well).

36. Jules 2 months ago

Received my brand new AD200 today and love it already.

When powered on, but doing nothing, there is a regular gentle ticking sound coming from its innards. Anyone else experiencing this??

Hi Jules,

Mine do, though I have to put the flash right up to my ear to hear it. By about a foot away its barely noticeable.

That’s very quiet compared to some speedlites which can constantly whistle or whine away.

If yours is louder though I don’t know if that may be an indication of possible future issues or not.

• Jules 2 months ago

Thank you very much! Sounds like mine is normal in that case – which is a relief. I adore it already and my AD360 might be history after this – sold to buy another AD200 instead.

Thanks for all the wonderful work on your great website.

37. Brad Jaeck 2 months ago

I’m getting my Godox AD 200 today and am still puzzled about the sync XT1 for syncing to the Nikon D750. Can I use the built in syncing on my Nikon? Or can I use my pocket wizards. I don’t see a pin / socket on the AD200’s. I will be using it on manual mode only.

Hi Brad,

The AD200 have a 3.5mm sync port on the side, so you can fire the flash with a PocketWizard receiver attached via sync cord.

Only the Godox transmitters can remotely control the power levels of the AD200 though, so even if you’re firing the flash via PocketWizards, you would still need a Godox transmitter in hand etc if you want remote power control.

Regarding the D750 built in syncing, I assume you would be referring to the Nikon Optic Wireless system there? And if so then no, the AD200 does not provide Advanced Optic Wireless for any of the camera systems, just basic S1 and S2 optic slave modes (which fire the flash when they see another flash fire).

If you’re only using manual with the flash you may also prefer the XT32 transmitter over the X1T for the simple interface.

38. David 2 months ago

If your in the uk Pixapro ( essential photo ) are doing these at £295

39. Filipe 1 month ago

Hey . I own fuji xt2 , and would like to have this sistem and its trigers allowing hss. Please tell me , does it work ttl and hss on fuji? Were can I buy it ?

Flash Havoc 1 month ago

Hi Filipe,

The TT350F radio master flash for Fuji are only just becoming available now. I’m not sure yet exactly when a separate transmitter unit may be available.

Regarding the functions we may have to wait for a firmware update for the AD200 to have full functionality with Fuji.

Though if you see the compatibility chart in the TT350F post though the Fuji X-T2 cameras are in the Group A category which will have full functionality (once everything is ready).

40. Motti Bembaron 1 month ago

I purchased two AD200, I love them!
    Just to make myself feel better (I am usually very frugal), I also purchased:

1. X1-N with three XTR-16S receivers (I have three older generation Godox flashes)
    2. The V860II-N to work the AD200 in events.
    3. two small Norman reflectors with grid and different gels to fit with the bare bulb attachment.
    4. Four Bowen reflectors to fit with the S-Mount bracket.
    5. Two 80cm Godox softboxes with grids.
    6. A friend sold me three Norman panoramic reflectors and a mini collapsible Norman beauty dish that fits the bare bulb (all for $30 CDN)

You can imagine the amount of fun I am having in the last week.

The AD200 are really amazing. I am pleasantly surprised at the accuracy of the TTL and the HSS. I love the ease in which everything works so well with the X1-N and the V860II-N.

There are couple of things I wish were a bit better. One is the screen, when outdoors, it is impossible to see anything even when shielding with my hands.

The 1/128 power can be overwhelming still when strobe too close to subject. A 1/256 power would be great for small spaces.

When the AD200 are on TTL and working with the X1-N or the V860II-N to control them, the screen on the AD200 does not show the increments (plus or minus). It shows on the trigger and the V860II screen but not on the AD200 screen.

The same for the V860II-N; when triggering and controlling the flash with the X1-N (when it is on TTL) the trigger shows the increments but the flash screen does not.

But I tell you, other than that the Godox System is superior to any Nikon flash I have (SB-600/900/910).
    The two AD200, the V860II-N, the X1-N trigger and three receivers, all cost me $1105 CDN (Canadian dollars).
    The price of ONE SB-5000 with the (pathetic) Nikon radio trigger and it’s attachment (they sold separately). is $900 CDN.

Boy…

41. mohamed 1 month ago

is it working with fuji x-t1
    Regards

Flash Havoc 1 month ago

Hi Mohamed,

I’m not sure yet, the TT350F speedlite with radio master function are just becoming available now.

What functions are working with Fuji at this stage I don’t know, we may have to wait for a firmware update for the AD200 to have full functionality with Fuji.

If you see the compatibility chart in the TT350F post though the Fuji X-T1 cameras are in the Group A category which will have full functionality (once everything is ready).

42. Allen Chiu 1 month ago

Can the AD200 link with Canon ST-E3-RT Speedlite Transmitter and retain functionality?

Flash Havoc 1 month ago

Hi Allen,

No, the Godox radio system is not directly compatible with the Canon RT system.

Jinbei are working on a compact flash though which should have direct Canon RT compatibility, at least with the Adorama Orlit version (as seen with the Orlit RT 610 etc).

43. mike 1 month ago

New Godox G2 updater available to update AD200 and the update has some interesting info, not quite sure about the different systems but confirms new LED head
    1. Compatible with Godox wireless Olympus/Panasonic X system and Fuji X system;
    2. Add the detection and application of separate LED head (AD-L);
    3. Optimize the detection of LED head.
    2017

Flash Havoc 1 month ago

Great thanks Mike!

44. Joel Feigenbaum 4 weeks ago

Does the AD200 come only with a full female A USB port. That would require a Male A to Male A USB cable?
    Most other Godox flashes come with female Mini USB ports.

Flash Havoc 4 weeks ago

Hi Joel,

There is a female micro USB socket used for firmware updates just below the ON-OFF switch near the back of the flash.

The standard female USB socket in the center of the flash is the communication port only used for attaching XTR-16 / FTR-16 radio receivers.

• Joel Feigenbaum 4 weeks ago

“my bad ” that worked, thank you . I thought the communication port was the firmware port.

45. Joel 4 weeks ago

Hello!
    I am thinking of buying this ad200. I would appreciate your expertise please.

I would like to buy a transmitter that can adjust the power of the ad200. I do several events and I would like a system where I can just adjust the power of 2-3 flashes. I currently have the Canon 580exII and 600RT, and several Yongnuo manual flashes. Is there a transmitter/receiver that can adjust all of these without me having to walk to each of these flashes and changing the power manually? It would be great if this transmitter had a AF assist light as well. Any recommendations? Sorry, I just want a system that works well and I can invest in going forward.

• A HSS transmitter/receiver is important for me too (not sure if this helps or not).
    • I have 2 YN622N but I am pretty sure I am not able to adjust the power of my flashes
    • I have a Rovelight RL600, to be able to adjust this from a transmitter as well would be so awesome
    • I use cheap Yongnuo rf/tx-602 for manually firing for now

Your time and expertise is very very appreciated 🙂

Flash Havoc 4 weeks ago

Hi Joel,

If you don’t need TTL then you could use either the XT32-C transmitter or the X1T-C.

The XT32 have a more simple interface, though the X1T can do TTL as well.

And you can also then mount the RL600B RoveLight transmitter on top of the X1T to fire and control the power levels of that (with HSS signal as well if needed). Only the Rovelight transmitter can control the power levels of that strobe though.

There will be an X2 transmitter coming some time in the second half of the year, though it won’t have a pass through hotshoe on top.

If you’re looking a little more long term then the other option which may be worth considering is moving more to the ORLIT / Jinbei system, because they have direct Canon RT radio compatibility, and Jinbei are working on an AD200 style flash at the moment as well (though I don’t know how long that may take).

The current options would be the RT-610, RT-601, and 300Ws ROVER.

The main advantage there is that you can use the original Canon RT flash as master on camera, because its unlikely Godox (or Jinbei) are going to refine their on-camera master speedlites to Canon/Nikon standard any time soon. So if a master flash is of any importance to you its likely best to try the current Godox options (TT685 / V860II) and see if you’re going to be happy with them.

It would be best to trade the old RoveLight for one of the current models though, so that it integrates nicely as well.

• Joel 4 weeks ago

hmm hmm… Decisions decisions. I appreciate your quick reply and thank you so much for sharing your advice!

46. Marco 4 weeks ago

Hi

I’ve read below that it is possible to control the AD200 with the RF-603C II triggers.
    I do have the YN-622TX and 622C ones.
    Anybody knows that those would be fine to also have ETTL working on the AD200 ?

Flash Havoc 4 weeks ago

Sorry people, the Flashpoint twin head listing was accidental uploaded early, and Adorama have removed the listing for now, and I have taken down the post for now.

The twin bracket will still be coming though.

48. Muhammad 3 weeks ago

Has anyone found the serial numbers. I catalog all my gear and I would like to know where out is I can’t find it.

• Fritz Nordengren 3 weeks ago

Muhammad, maybe? On the bottom side of the Adorama version just above the warning “Please note the battery maintenance ….” there is a black stamped code. Mine reads: 7D02N.

That’s the only number I find. Hope this helps.