GODOX – AD200 WITSTRO – Cordless TTL Strobe Coming!

GODOX AD200

Godox have started releasing images of the soon to be announced Godox AD200 Witstro cordless strobe.

The AD200 are a 200Ws cordless Lithium-ion powered TTL and HSS enabled strobe with Godox 2.4GHz X-system radio receiver built inside (currently for Canon, Nikon, and Sony).

GODOX AD200

Being dedicated off camera flashes (they have no hotshoe) the AD200 provide similar compact size of a speedlite though with some added power.

While also featuring an interchangeable flash head which provides the option of either bare bulb or traditional speedlite fresnel head.

GODOX AD200

The AD200 can be mounted via a 1/4″ 20 threaded mounting hole on either side of the flash (allowing landscape or portrait orientation when using the speedlite head).

GODOX AD200

GODOX WITSTRO AD200 FEATURES

• Power – 200Ws
  • Bare Bulb Head – GN 60m, ISO 100 (AD360 reflector)
  • Speedlite Head – GN 52m ISO 100
  • Flash Modes – TTL / M / Multi
  • FEC / FEB – 1/3rd Increments (±3 Stops)
  • FEL (Flash Exposure Lock)
  • Godox 2.4GHz X Radio System
  • Canon, Nikon, Sony, Radio Slave Modes (Auto Switching)
  • Range – 100m + with X1 as Transmitter
  • Groups – A / B / C / D / E
  • Canon, Nikon, Sony, Optic Wireless Slave Modes
  • S1/S2 Optic Slave Modes
  • Flash Duration Frensel Head – 1/220s – 1/13000s
  • Flash Duration Speedlite Head – 1/220s – 1/11300s
  • Color Temperature – 5600 +/- 200k
  • 14.4V 2900mAh Lithium-ion Battery
  • 520 Full Power Flashes
  • 0.01 – 2.1 Second Recycle Time
  • Custom Functions
  • LED Modelling Light (Fresnel Head Only)
  • USB Port for Firmware Upgrades
  • 3.5mm Sync Port

More detail coming as they become available.

Godox AD200

GODOX AD200

GODOX AD200

UPDATE – Adorama now have the Flashpoint version eVOLV 200 TTL available for pre-order now for $329.95.

GODOX AD200

The Flashpoint version eVOLV 200 TTL are available for pre-order now for $329.95.

1. JL Williams 3 weeks ago

Another well-thought-out addition to the Godox product line. I’ve been saying all along that speedlight guts in a lightstand-centric body would be a good idea, since many of us never use our flashes on a camera shoe. An AD 600 as a main light plus several of these for fill/background/rim lights would make a very capable and compact portable kit, and you wouldn’t have to bother carrying stand adapters as you do with speedlights.

Flash Havoc 3 weeks ago

Hi JL Williams,

Funnily enough I know where they have gotten the “well-thought-out” concept from.

And I’ve never pitched or discussed it with Godox directly, they have clearly taken it from my comments and discussion here in threads like the RadioStrobe project.

• Jorge Martinez 3 weeks ago

Thus the reason I would never buy from these guys or any other Chinese copycat. Most of these companies prey on many crowdfunding platforms with the sole intention of stealing intellectual property, bombard us with cheap, knock offs that die soon after use or stop working and good luck getting any time of support. Thx but no thx.

Flash Havoc 3 weeks ago

Hi Jorge,

Actually Godox have already proven themselves to be very reliable for a number of years now.

It sounds like you may not be too familiar with them, though Godox are somewhat changing the face of the industry with strobes like the AD600B / XPLOR 600, and their expanding ecosystem of strobes (which is pretty much unmatched by anyone else).

Their strong and weak points are discussed quite often nowadays.

• Pablo Hill 3 weeks ago

I’ve used them for a very long time and their products are awesome. Don´t be a snob…

• Sandalsfootacious 3 weeks ago

They are awesome, don’t use genuine flashes anymore BUT!! But my bounce cards from “ALL” my V850/60ii and TT685 have managed to come out… and there’s no way of putting them back in…

If anyone has a solution, that would be great.

P.S. I’ve opened up the head and put it back in but somehow they will still get pulled out.

• Mike Duffy 3 weeks ago

I have 3 AD 600’s that have replaced my Bowens Gemini’s, Elinchrom Quadra’s and 2 other 1200ws units… they have HSS, remote power control, 600 full power shots per battery, a stable colour temperature and NO WIRES!!!… Oh! and a plug in remote overhead light head (great on a high boom) They are where all the other lighting manufacturers should have evolved to… Go Godox!! Brilliant work :)

• Yorch 3 weeks ago

U really don’t know what U talking ..

• JL Williams 3 weeks ago

Well, kudos to them for knowing a good idea when they see it. Although where I think Godox has really nailed the concept is in having a single radio system that works with studio-size, mid-size and camera-mount-size flash units, making it very convenient to mix and match.

Flash Havoc 3 weeks ago

I agree with that, we put the ideas and information out there so hopefully some people will use and produce them.

The frustrating part is any time you deal with Godox they are generally at odds. We have been telling them for a long time a more refined on-camera master flash is really needed and a key part of the system for a lot of people, and thats still not on their agenda.

Adorama are the ones that have been pushing for a new transmitter, and the way that’s going theres every chance there may be 2 versions because Godox still want to do it their own way.

• Csongor Gál 3 weeks ago

Two trigger systems? Can you give us more information on this?
            Besides the obvious shortcomings of the master flashes, my most important concern with Godox is their somewhat chaotic approach to their triggering system development. Unfortunately my feeling is that they develop their products to 80-90% maturity and abandon the project and start working on something new.

Flash Havoc 3 weeks ago

Hi Csongor Gál,

Sorry, I really shouldn’t be commenting on the transmitter too much at this stage. Godox just want to do the interface (button layout etc) their own way. If there does turn out to be 2 transmitter versions, their functions will likely still be quite similar.

What you mention often happens in the development of many products though (I’m not referring to Godox in particular) it gets to a stage where time is getting away and they just want to get the product released.

I’m just hoping if the hardware is well implemented from the beginning, then functions can at least always still be added or refined further down the track if needed through firmware updates.

• Csongor Gál 2 weeks ago

Thank you!

• Igor L 2 weeks ago

Great! Now, Godox, please make ring flash head for AD600 and this new guy. Please!!!
      AD400 is OK, but standalone ring flashes are not very useful… I think

2. Tim 3 weeks ago

Love this design. If they can make a 400 watt version (not the ad360 II) all in one unit, I’d like to get one.

• COURTLAND B TONEY 3 weeks ago

i feel like they are gonna give you a head that can do 400…i see so many options with the removable head….

• John H. 3 weeks ago

I waiting to an AD 400, but similar to the AD600.

• kennie 3 weeks ago

I waiting to an AD 300, AD 400 and AD 500, but similar to the AD 600. ;-)

3. Joel 3 weeks ago

I really thought the AD200 would be a bare bulb flash with a built in battery so you COULD mount it on a camera. This is … not that. But looks much more interesting in many ways. If I didn’t have so many flashes I would build my kit around this unit with a 350 or 860 for on camera work. I think this could be another popular addition to their lineup.

• Matt Beutel 3 weeks ago

That’s what I was hoping for too. Something close to the weight of the big speedlites with more power that could fire my other AD/r2 off camera lights. Still this looks very cool.

4. Phillip Salzman 3 weeks ago

This is interesting. I’m sure it can be used with current speedlight-centric modifiers, but I wonder what the benefit would be be over a speedlight. There’s a plethora of mounting options already for those. I’m not speaking ill, I’ll likely buy a couple, but I wonder if this is competing with some of their own products already.
    Has anyone seen a price point announced?

• Mariosch 3 weeks ago

I guess the benefit over a speedlight would be the increased power.
      200Ws should be the equivalent of 2 to 3 speedlights (depending on whether it actually has 200Ws or a good deal less like the AD 180 / 360).

My guess is, it’s basically a TTL AD180 with built-in battery. So probably more like 150 Ws for real. Which still is more than two speedlights. Plus: barebulb option, great when using tranditional mount modifiers.
      It’s a bit hard to guess but it seems it’s about the size of a normal speedlight, which would mean it should easily fit into a camera bag (although the barebulb head might be too long then).

certainly looks interesting, also I hold my final judgement until I see a price tag and some actual reviews with some meterings…. :)

• Will 3 weeks ago

Power

5. Mike Carper 3 weeks ago

I wonder if the traditional flash head is zooming, any idea?

6. George 3 weeks ago

How does a 200Ws flash compare to a regular 60GN flash in terms of power? How much more powerful is it?

Flash Havoc 3 weeks ago

Hi George,

From what I understand the Bare Bulb guide number is 60m using the AD360 reflector. (AD360II GN is 80m).

Speedlite Head guide number is 52 meters, though I’m not sure what zoom length equivalent the head is set to.

Though in general I would expect the AD200 will likely be around one stop more powerful than a regular speedlite at the same zoom setting.

7. A. Rivas 3 weeks ago

Why? With the 360 and 180 already out this seems pointless to me. You would still need an S-bracket to mount any kind of modifier to it (other than an umbrella), and it really doesn’t appear much smaller than the 360/180. The only benefit I can see is the integrated battery pack but that’s a stretch in my opinion. Make it more powerful than 200Ws and I might be interested. To each their own.

• JL Williams 3 weeks ago

I’ve recently switched away from a different system and I can assure you that single-piece units with no separate cords save a tremendous amount of setup time.

• Apostolos 3 weeks ago

Eh, not really. It only takes another 30 seconds or so to slap on the power pack on the AD360.

• ellery 3 weeks ago

If you used either the ad360 or AD180 you be well aware what a stone cold bitch it is to string up the Y cable then to the main power cable then to the flash it can not be done in a couple of seconds, its in minutes. This can be deployed as quick as turn on, pop on a light stand and off you go.

• Tapio 3 weeks ago

Actually, this flash makes a lot of sense, mainly due to the form factor. I own the AD360 and the shape of the thing is a nightmare to put in a camera bag. You have to worry about the 90 degree bend in the flash, if you want to protect the bare bulb, you have to keep a modifier attached (and the standard diffuser is wider in 3 directions than the flash body) and finally, you have the power cable, which, no matter where you leave attached, it will still need extra space in the bag. I guess one could leave it attached, but I find it a waste of time to fumble about with it.

8. Darryl 3 weeks ago

I would think this would compete with the V860 II. Curious what the price point would be; as they do not have to include the transmitter portion only the built in receiver. I would think it would have worse recycle times and less pops per charge due to more power and what seems to be about the same battery size.

• JL Williams 3 weeks ago

I’ve got two V860 IIs now (to supplement my AD/XPLOR 600) and if these had been available at the time I would have bought them instead. They’ll be easier to mount on light stands and brackets, and the bare tube option is a cool bonus that I might use occasionally. People who want a flash they can mount on a camera will still want the V860 II.

9. Marcel 3 weeks ago

No need for another system, Godox all the way!

10. Mark 3 weeks ago

Elvis, do you know, is this the same battery that is used in the V860?

• Andy 3 weeks ago

the specs say 14.4V 2900mAh, and the V850/V860 battery is 11.1V 2000mAh

11. Fielding 3 weeks ago

I really like the idea of this unit and hope they do something similar with the ad360 in the future. Though what I’m really hoping for is support for m43!

• Mark Z 2 weeks ago

Yes, BIG +1 on m43 support!

This unit looks really interesting to me. I already have two AD360s and two V850s and would buy more into the system if there was a good radio trigger for m43. I have been waiting for ages for the XT32G to be released and hope this will give HSS ability on m43, but a dedicated version would be even better! I hope Godox are listening :)

12. anthony 3 weeks ago

Wow, this system looks amazing! I am a commercial and editorial photographer in Denver and I was excited by the new Pixel 900x flashes coming out but this is much closer to what I actually want. lithium-ion powered, small, light and radio controlled. I am concerned about the Godox flashes because the 860c’s I have don’t work well when bouncing a flash in TTL, plus they tend to overheat easily when fired too quickly . I am still using the first generation so maybe they fixed that.

13. Adam Palmer 3 weeks ago

You could mount 3-4 of these side by side in an umbrella and get faster recycle times with the option to use them separately

• Marco Polo XVII 3 weeks ago

Perfect match with the Lightware Direct Foursquare block and soft boxes!

14. Darryl 3 weeks ago

Interesting that it has the same guide number as the V860II.

V860II specs here:
    GN 60 (m ISO 100)
    Powered by 11.1V, 2000mAh Li-ion Battery
    HSS to 1/8000th
    Flash Mode – iTTL /M / Multi
    1st Curtain Sync / 2nd Curtain Sync
    FEC / FEB – 1/3rd Increments (±3 stops)
    Manual Flash – 1/128 – 1/1 output control (1/3rd increments)
    Flash Zoom 20 – 200mm
    Radio Master & Slave Modes for Godox 2.4GHz X Radio System
    Godox Canon / Nikon / Sony TTL Radio Slave Modes
    Compatible with Godox X1T-C, X1T-N, X1T-S, TTL Transmitters, and X1R-N Receivers
    Mater Groups M / A / B / C
    Foot Clamping Ring with Locking Pin
    Sound Prompt
    Custom Functions
    Settings Memory
    Overheat Protection
    USB Port for Firmware Updates
    Communication Port (For XTR-16s / FTR-16s Receivers)
    2.5mm Sync Port

AD200
    Power – 200Ws
    Bare Bulb – GN60, ISO 100 (AD360 reflector)
    Flash Modes – TTL / M / Multi
    HSS to 1/8000th
    FEC / FEB – 1/3rd Increments (±3 Stops)
    FEL (Flash Exposure Lock)
    Manual Flash – 1/128 – 1/1 Output (1/3rd Increments)
    Godox 2.4GHz X Radio System
    Canon, Nikon, Sony, Radio Slave Modes (Auto Switching)
    Range – 100m + with X1 as Transmitter
    0.01 – 2.1 Second Recycle Time
    Custom Functions
    Auto Memory Function
    USB Port for Firmware Upgrades
    3.5mm Sync Port

• John H. 3 weeks ago

Sorry but you dont understand how GN is given in marketing flash specs!!!
      The v860ll GN is given at 200mm, the AD200 GN is given with the standard ap360 reflector (24mm circa).
      As example the Canon 580EX have a gn 58 at 105mm and a gn 28 at 24mm.

• Darryl 3 weeks ago

Ah ha, it does say with the 360 reflector! So if the reflector corresponds to a 24 mm zoom then it should be 2 EV brighter or 4x the power of a V860II.

15. r deloviar 3 weeks ago

If it will accept the magmod system, this and a monopod would become my lightweight run and gun kit.

16. PeterA 3 weeks ago

Looks like the perfect addition between the 860 and the 360. 500 full power shots translates to 1,000 or more at normal shooting power. And if 150 WS of so will easily replace the “almost standard” of two speedlights in a softbox and be smaller & lighter. All Godox needs now is for Adorama to bring out their updated version (hopefully, maybe, some day) of the controller in an Odin II style interface. That would fill in the one big weakness in the eco system. :-)

17. Andrew 3 weeks ago

Excellent idea from Godox…now could you also do this with a built in LED video light??

18. Robert Johnson 3 weeks ago

I don’t think individuals understand innovation ” the introduction of something new”. Where one would see copy I see an introduction of new ideas to a known standard. Why should every new speedlight or studio strobe take the same shape or not expand it functions and features. Godox and many others have established themselves in the market and it’s the market that will decide weather which will rise or fall, do anyone remember Pocket Wizard. I have a few Godox products and look forward to their latest speedlight, I never place a speedlight on my camera anymore and when shooting outside I could always use a bit more power, I often shoot with two speedlights mounted on a multi hot-shoe bracket where by I can use four speedlights. I look forward to next innovation of the cross between a speedlight and studio strobe. I own the Godox 360 with the battery pack which I use with my YN 685’s also and the X1 Controller. And yes I will purchase it as soon as it’s aviable

19. Earle 3 weeks ago

It’s not something I’d need in my bag at the moment but this looks like a wonderful product. I could see it ultimately replacing the 180watt bare bulb unit.

I know one poster raised an issue about knockoff products but I’m not sure I’ve seen another portable light like this produced — or even announced — by anyone. Coming on the heels of the AD600, you’ve got to give Godox props for doing its own development.

Well, I do anyway.

20. kennie 3 weeks ago

Like COURTLAND B TONEY wrote …let´s make something like the Godox AD-H1200 and a twin-bulb for this unit. Two AD200 units will build then a 400W (real 300-350Ws) head and pack system which means the Elinchrom Quadra/ELB400 and Godox AD360 are in serious problems.

80% of the time, thanks to very clean ISO 800 settings on modern DSLM/DSLR, I do not need more power than a speedlight could offer. This AD200 will then work at 1/4 to 1/2 power settings all the time, which give me faster recycle times/flash durations. At the moment, if two speedlights are not enough, I need to get the large AD600 out of the car trunk. Now one or two AD200 will give me enough light and the AD600 could stay in the car. -> This was the missing link in the GODOX lineup, after the TT350. Now the only thing the need is a software to control the X1 system via APP and PC/MAC for studio use.

I´m a professional and have worked with almost any system (Briese, Bron Kobolt, Profoto, Hensel, ..you name it) on the market and things have changed extremely fast in the last few years. The first step was build-in radio other than PocketWizard that worked and now works better and with power adjustments (the only better radio-system at the moment is the Profoto Air, hell even Broncolor bought into the Godox X1 system). The next big step was Speedlights with build-in Li-Ion batteries AND build-in radio (V860II/V850II), no more AA charging. The final step for me was the AD600. AC or DC (no B1 or D1/D2 bulls#it like Profoto do it or Broncolor Siros and Siros L) 600 or 1200Ws. Monoblock (Profoto B1) or Porty (Profoto Pro-B4). Like LEGO … you bought some parts e.g. two AD600 units, we offer new parts, e.g. AD-H1200, built something new from it. :-)

Like Tim wrote “If they can make a 400 watt version (not the ad360 II) all in one unit, I’d like to get one” is the old way of thinking, no offense Tim. If you are using this unit then most of the time at 1/4 or 1/2 power you where thinking “man, I wish I could split the unit now in two units and use the second one as backlight”. What if your 400W unit fails? Well, if this happens in our two AD200 adapter solution you loose one f-stop ;-) Since you always need backup, two units are a must. If you tell me now “well kennie, but I need 400Ws in one unit without extra cables/adapters” my answer will be …get yourself a AD600 unit, if you make a living with photography, two units plus AD-H600/H1200. :-)

Cheers!

• James 2 weeks ago

I agree with your comment! I think this unit fills Avery important niche. I tend to use the AD 600 and 1-3 860’s in most shoots. Very frequently I need the output of 2 speed lights. They are a pain to mount and I can’t use my bowens mount modifiers. This will allow me to get around that. It adds versatility and saves time. I can also use it easily with my Boomerang flash bracket.
      Adorama is already taking pre-orders at $349. Excited to get two.

21. Ray Wong 3 weeks ago

oh, i was thinking of the other day, of a speedlight size flash with a little bit more mojo, this seems to fit the bill, but also depends on the price, if it’s too expensive, then i’ll get another yn-600exrt (love these things except a part of me wonders about yn copying canon’s 600ex-rt but with more features)

22. Vince 3 weeks ago

I’ve been waiting to see what this would be like. A small self contained bare bulb is exactly what I’ve wanted. It just needs one feature not mentioned. Masking support.

Flash Havoc 3 weeks ago

Hi Vince,

It has the masking function like the AD600B and QT600II.

• kennie 3 weeks ago

Great news, I want the MASK/ALT mode in all Godox flashes.
        Since not all flashes have USB ports for firmware updates, hopefully the next X1 trigger has this feature build in or the X1C/N/S will receive it via update?

23. Jon 3 weeks ago

This looks awesome. I can see buying 2 or 3 of these to complement my ad360 for rim lighting or lighting backgrounds. Looks like you could Velcro 2 together to get 400 ws.

24. Craig 3 weeks ago

Wow! I have some questions, but I’m really digging the design of this! I wonder why they didn’t put the mount closer to the front though.

Do you know if AD360 accessories are compatible with the bare bulb head?

Good job Godox! If I designed my own light it would be somewhat similar!

Flash Havoc 3 weeks ago

Hi Craig,

I’ve been pitching this concept for a long time myself.

Yes the accessory mount is the same as the AD180 / AD360.

25. Al Bailey 3 weeks ago

I have been waiting for the AD-200 to come out for some time now. I purchased an A-180 then later purchased the AD-360II. I was hoping for the traditional look for this unit but who said what a flash should look like. The main thing is how it performs. I have always felt that 200ws was the sweet spot for me. I really use the AD-360II at full power. The size of this unit is a pleasant welcome and the fact they were able to put a rechargeable battery in it is a plus. With 500 full power flashes, it should last all day. Let the truth be told none of use our flashes at full power for every image. I wish this had come out before I purchased the AD-360II.
    Based on the limited information I like it. I’m pretty sure Godox have done their homework with this one. It seems to be the hybrid between the standard bare bulb flash and the conventional shoe mount flash with upgrades. I know some people would have liked to see the conventional design with a hot shoe but if you are still using your flash on the camera’s hot shoe, you are in the wrong league.

26. Paul 3 weeks ago

This unit has the ideal form factor and power range for what I need. It would make travelling with a relatively powerful lighting kit fairly easy. For my own purposes one of these plus a couple of speed lights would fit the bill perfectly. Just need Godox to bring out a good Fuji compatible version then its a winner for me.

27. Darryl 3 weeks ago

Any guesses on suggested retail prices?

I am going to say abouts $200.

• Robert Johnson 3 weeks ago

I too hope it’s $200, I would purchase two.

28. georgep 3 weeks ago

looks quite great as a form and size factor. If it is good I will most likely pick up one, problem is I have way too many flashes already :)

29. Thomas Geist 3 weeks ago

The flash bracket seems much more off center than the one on the AD180/360. If one wants to use the umbrella reflector AD-S6 this would most likely require drilling a new hole in the reflector.

I also wonder if there will be any wide angle caps available for the fresnel head since it obviously does not provide any zooming.

Flash Havoc 3 weeks ago

Hi Thomas,

Yes the umbrella reflector may be a bit tricky. Maybe using other umbrella swivels like the Manfrotto 026 could possibly clear the reflector without needing to drill more holes in it.

The guide number is stated as lower for fresnel head, so I would expect that is actually set to a fairly wide zoom. So maybe a zoom style cap option may be needed.

I hope Godox have had the forethought to at least provide the communication channels for zoom control, which would allow for a possible auto/manual zooming head option later.

30. ronald 3 weeks ago

Its interesting to see that Godox are using a 14.4V battery. The V860/PB960/AD600 are 11.1V. Are the next-gen lights going to be 14.4V?

31. C. Stephen Hurst 3 weeks ago

Adorama has the link on their website. $349 and available for Pre Order. It will be called the eVOLV TTL 200.

Flash Havoc 3 weeks ago

Thanks C. Stephen Hurst.

Interestingly the Flashpoint listing also mentions an LED modeling light. I heard some rumours previously there may be an LED head as well, so I’m trying to get some detail on how this LED modelling light may be implemented.

UPDATE – The LED modelling light is inside the speedlite fresnel head only.

32. JESSE PATTERSON 3 weeks ago

I can’t wait to see the price of these. I was thinking of getting 3 more TT685C flashes however, I may consider these instead.

Flash Havoc 3 weeks ago

Hi Jesse,

Adorama have their version listed currently for pre-order for $349.95.

• Jesse Patterson 2 weeks ago

As soon as I see good feedback on these lights, I’ll start getting them! Are they really the same size as the Zoom Li-on flashes? I wonder if the Fresnel Head can zoom and if not, what the zoom equivalent would be.

33. Echo 3 weeks ago

This looks great.
    Hope they can release an extension lead to go between the pack and head – that little barebulb unit can be easily hidden in all sorts of places….
    Should travel better than the AD180/360 too

34. Cowboydoug 3 weeks ago

I have heard rumors of this being for sale at WPPI next month in Las Vegas… I’m also hoping for the AD1200 TTL and 2400ws extension head… What can you tell us?

Flash Havoc 3 weeks ago

Hi Cowboydoug,

Sorry I have not heard anything about an AD1200 TTL strobe. Is this just your own wishful thinking, or is that something you have heard is coming?

35. marco 3 weeks ago

still no news about the X1 trasmitter for FUJI? times ago adorama was listing a fujifilm (of the R2 adorama branded version) version coming, but actually they removed that page…

any hope?

Flash Havoc 2 weeks ago

Hi Marco,

Godox are intending to have Fuji and Olympus/Panasonic TTL support available this year.

(Whether that actually happens we can only wait and see).

• Mark Z 2 weeks ago

A big +1 for that! If that actually happens I will buy into the system much more. I’m currently on two AD360s and two V850s, but would add two AD600s and two AD200s straight away with dedicated m43 triggers.

36. Mark 2 weeks ago

I don’t see a port for using the PB960 battery pack. I know the L-Ion battery is in this, but I would think like speedlights, this would allow the battery pack to be attached for longer life when needed?

37. burndawg 2 weeks ago

Some news on a usb port which letting me use my Cells II triggers ?

38. kennie 2 weeks ago

From the Adorama Overview text “Twin eVOLV’s can be joined together to make a 400ws blockbuster …”

Now we are cooking ;-)

AD200
    “AD400″ build from two AD200 units
    AD600
    “AD1200″ build from two AD600 units

Flash Havoc 2 weeks ago

UPDATE – There is an LED modelling light located in the speedlite fresnel head only.

So it doesn’t sound like it would be particularly powerful, though certainly better than nothing in any case.

• Sam French 2 weeks ago

There is a light bulb symbol in the bottom right corner of the display screen in a couple of the photos at the Adorama pre-order page. – does that symbol represent “modelling light” is swirched on or does it represent “bare bulb” is attached, or is it indicating something completely different?

Flash Havoc 2 weeks ago

Hi Sam,

Sorry I’m not sure yet, I guess it could represent either.

The flash duration is slightly different with the different heads, so if the durations are going to be displayed accurately on the flashes LCD then it must at least be recognizing which head is attached.

So the bulb could possibly represent the bare bulb head (or just the modeling light).

40. Dogwood 2 weeks ago

I like how it look like a shampoo bottle, if I ever get robbed they’ll leave that behind.

Still nice to see a brand that innovate and doesn’t get lazy with their success or good reputation.

41. Niels Gram 2 weeks ago

Cool :-) I would have liked to see faster recycling – in the 1 s range for full power. Doable for a 200Ws strobe. I briefly owned an AD180 but returned it because it didn’t provide stable exposure in fast paced sequences which is what I do. This one is a TTL-strobe which will probably need to include some kind of light output feedback for stable TTL exposure – at least Canon and Youngnuo does have this feedback.

42. alastair lever 2 weeks ago

Quick question. Is the bare bulb the same speedring fitting as the Lumedyne / Quantum / Sunpak / Norman sytems?
    Could I fit this to it?

Flash Havoc 2 weeks ago

Hi alastair,

Yes the Lumedyne / Quantum / Sunpak / Norman systems are the same size as the Godox mount.

The latest Godox reflectors and modifiers have more of a bayonet style slot cut into the end of the reflector, so that they also lock into place by twisting them. Though the old accessories and alternate brands should still fit, the just won’t twist lock into place. Only the thumbscrew / friction pad clamps the modifier in place.

43. Apostolos 2 weeks ago

Maybe I’m missing something, but who would buy it at this price? With a GN 52/60 output when the AD 360 has GN 182 for a little bit more and often the same price when it’s on sale?

• Mike 2 weeks ago

I have to agree. I thought these might be a nice “upgrade” from a speedlight (V850/860) while keeping a similar form-factor but all-in-one system (unlike the AD360 which needs a portable pack) but the price really kills the deal. I was hoping for $200, $250 tops.. at this price it’s bit too much.

Somewhat hoping there is a non-TTL version down the road for a bit less.

• Apostolos 2 weeks ago

I don’t get it, I don’t understand the excitement. This thing has twice the price of a Li-on TTL Godox/Flashpoint speedlight for twice the price.

• alastair lever 2 weeks ago

Have to agree with the price. Hopefully soon after the initial excitement they will drop the price a little. Also they may start offering it with options of bare bulb or fresnel only. Personally the fresnel option doesn’t interest me, but the compact size and versatility of bare bulb with modifiers is very interesting. I swapped from profoto to godox ad600’s about 3 months ago and haven’t looked back although still use thier modifiers.
          I photograph portraits, mainly in central London and use public transport to get around. Driving in is not an option, so generally travel with camera bag, tripod back and a large peli case with a couple of AD600’s, modifiers and stands. I could fit a couple of these AD200’s in the camera bag for that extra bit of fill or highlight when needed. I have 4 nikon SB-910’s which I ocasionally use for just that scenario, but in reallity the whole process in a live shooting situation is just to complicated and stressful.
          Being able to throw one or two of these into a modifier turn them on and control everything from the one trigger just makes sense to me. My only other option is another one or two AD600’s or a couple of AD 360/180s which are pretty much the same size as the AD600’s once you add the battery.
          HSS has been a revalation for me. I’ve been a photographer for 25 years and the way I work now is totally different to the first 24 years. I haven’t had to use my AD600’s on anything higher than 16th power yet and generally have been using them around the 32nd power range with mixed lighting in boardrooms and office situations using HSS. You never know, with this in mind I may even be able to shoot purely with the AD200’s in the future and leave the large peli case at home.

44. Roger 2 weeks ago

Nice to read, I have buy the 860ii and the AD360ii flashes and the XT32C. I’m a FujiFilm x-T1 and x-T2 user and it where great when GODOX have a eye for us! Many FujiFilm users look out for a version for them!

45. alastair lever 2 weeks ago

Just for reference the AD200 has a Gn of 60.
    The AD180 has a GN of 60 also.
    The AD 360 has a GN of 80
    and the AD600 has a GN of 87. All with standard reflectors.

Flash Havoc 2 weeks ago

Hi Alastair,

The guide number of the AD180, AD360, and AD200 are directly comparable, because they are using the same reflector.

Though the AD600 light up a larger area with their standard reflector. They are roughly one stop more powerful than the AD360, as you would likely expect.

46. C. Stephen Hurst 2 weeks ago

I honestly don’t think $350 is to much to ask if the color temp is stable across entire output and, as the Adorama listing seems to imply, comes with barndoors, 2 gel holders, a grid, and an umbrella mounting bracket. In the AD360 world all of the aforementioned come at an additional (albeit nominal) cost. Godox is becoming a victim of it’s own success. If Godox and lithium powered flashes never existed, and, this flash came out today…..would we really gripe at a $350 price point. If Canon/Nikon or Profoto released this modular design first wouldn’t the price have been north of $900 in the former and 1.5k in the latter. I’ve pre ordered two of them from Adorama and if they don’t meet my expectations I’ll return them. Sure the price will drop $50 to $100 in 6 months or so but I want to support a company for being quite innovative and affordable, and, thinks not only the product but the system. I am a former B1 and B2 user and am now an extremely satisfied AD360 and AD600 owner.

• alastair lever 2 weeks ago

I don’t think $350 is to much to ask either.
      When I bought my AD600’s a month after they where introduced they where selling for £500 each in the uk equivalent of adorama, Essentialphoto under the name Pixapro.
      fleabay was offering the same godox units from a UK supplier for £450 or best offer so I thought I’d have a punt at £350 and the offer was excepted. I went back to the same supplier 3 weeks later and got another at the same price. The flashpoint units are on sale at the moment for $549 which equates to £450. I’m hoping the same senario will happen with the Ad200’s. and I should be able to get them for about the £230 mark Which will make them very desirable to me at that price.
      Bargains can always be had. I’ll definately give these a go at the uk equivalent of $350 but I suspect the Godox versions will be offered for substantially less than the flashpoint price.
      I to am a former B1 user and are now an extremely satisfied AD600 user. I’m also willing to forego some customer care and product guarantees. Especially if as in my case a whole AD600 unit costs the same as a blown tube on the B1’s

• Robert Johnson 2 weeks ago

I agree 100%, if it was Nikon or Canon the price would be justified because it’s an OEM. Currently the Nikon SB-5000 AF Speedlight list for $500 plus and that’s for one speedlight, which was late to the market and their attempt to play catch up. I too am looking and waiting to see the initial pricing and yes in a few months the price will drop. Godox and other continue to innovate the known standard in the market and it’s the market which will decide the success or failure.

47. Richard Katris 2 weeks ago

Two questions….Weight and ability to fly with them…..can’t check them in checked luggage on airplanes, with those batteries, and there are carry on limits as to how large/mhr you are allowed to carry on an airplane at all…they look great if those issues can be with camera batteries and these strobes there could be issues with flying with these units. My current WL alienbee units weigh about 3lbs each….and that is also a consideration….most other options would overweight me on checked luggage. Otherwise they look great.

• Richard Katris 2 weeks ago

Some answers to the above airline limitations on batteries: FAA guidelines are below and it does look as if they would be OK…..but spare batteries might be limited:

Lithium ion batteries (a.k.a.: rechargeable lithium, lithium polymer, LIPO, secondary lithium). Passengers may carry all consumer-sized lithium ion batteries (up to 100 watt hours per battery). This size covers AA, AAA, cell phone, PDA, camera, camcorder, handheld game, tablet, portable drill, and standard laptop computer batteries. The watt hours (Wh) rating is marked
      on newer lithium ion batteries and is explained in #3 below. External chargers are also considered to be a battery. 2. Except for spare (uninstalled) lithium metal and lithium-ion batteries, all the batteries allowed in carry-on baggage are also allowed in checked baggage. The batteries must be protected from damage and short circuit or installed in a device. Battery-powered
      devices—particularly those with moving parts or those that could heat up—must be protected from accidental activation. Spare lithium metal and lithium ion/polymer batteries are prohibited in checked baggage—this includes external battery packs.
      Q3. How do I determine the watt hours (Wh) rating of a battery?
      A3. To determine watt hours (Wh), multiply the volts (V) by the ampere hours (Ah). Example: A 12-volt battery rated to 8 Amp hours is rated at 96 watt hours (12 x 8 = 96). For milliamp hours (mAh), divide by 1000 (to get to Ah) and then multiply by the volts.
      Q4. Is there a limit to the number of batteries or devices I can carry?
      A4. The main limit is that the batteries and devices must be for personal use (includes professional use). There is a two-spare limit on the large lithium-ion (101-160 Wh)

• alastair lever 2 weeks ago

Interesting.
        the AD200’s are well within the limits then.
        Also the AD600’s batteries are 96.57 Wh so also within limits.

48. C. Stephen Hurst 2 weeks ago

And maybe this is question for Elvis but is there another Flash system out there besides Profoto that implements Flash Exposure Lock? The ability to shoot an initial exposure in TTL and then switch to manual with those settings and fine tune is the one feature I truly miss with the B1’s and B2’s. With that being said I’m not sure how ‘FEL’ could be implemented with the current X1 Transmitters. Firmware update? Better yet, a new Transmitter with the improved AD200 screen and direct group access. Nix the HotShoe TTL pass through. And, if this new AD200 will be the only non Profoto ‘FEL’ option that’s yet another reason why the initial $350 price tag is warranted.

49. smellyfooto 2 weeks ago

Wonder when this will be available on ebay. Cant wait!!

50. Mark Kitaoka 2 weeks ago

Amazing continuing innovation by Godox.