GODOX – AD200 WITSTRO – Cordless TTL Strobe Coming!

GODOX AD200

Godox have started releasing images of the soon to be announced Godox AD200 Witstro cordless strobe.

The AD200 are a 200Ws cordless Lithium-ion powered TTL and HSS enabled strobe with Godox 2.4GHz X-system radio receiver built inside (currently for Canon, Nikon, and Sony).

GODOX AD200

Being dedicated off camera flashes (they have no hotshoe) the AD200 provide similar compact size of a speedlite though with some added power.

While also featuring an interchangeable flash head which provides the option of either bare bulb or traditional speedlite fresnel head.

GODOX AD200

The AD200 can be mounted via a 1/4″ 20 threaded mounting hole on either side of the flash (allowing landscape or portrait orientation when using the speedlite head).

GODOX AD200

GODOX WITSTRO AD200 FEATURES

• Power – 200Ws
  • Bare Bulb Head – GN 60m, ISO 100 (AD360 reflector)
  • Speedlite Head – GN 52m ISO 100
  • Flash Modes – TTL / M / Multi
  • FEC / FEB – 1/3rd Increments (±3 Stops)
  • FEL (Flash Exposure Lock)
  • Godox 2.4GHz X Radio System
  • Canon, Nikon, Sony, Radio Slave Modes (Auto Switching)
  • Range – 100m + with X1 as Transmitter
  • Groups – A / B / C / D / E
  • Canon, Nikon, Sony, Optic Wireless Slave Modes
  • S1/S2 Optic Slave Modes
  • Flash Duration Frensel Head – 1/220s – 1/13000s
  • Flash Duration Speedlite Head – 1/220s – 1/11300s
  • Color Temperature – 5600 +/- 200k
  • 14.4V 2900mAh Lithium-ion Battery
  • 520 Full Power Flashes
  • 0.01 – 2.1 Second Recycle Time
  • Custom Functions
  • LED Modelling Light (Fresnel Head Only)
  • USB Port for Firmware Upgrades
  • 3.5mm Sync Port

More detail coming as they become available.

Godox AD200

GODOX AD200

GODOX AD200

UPDATE – Adorama now have the Flashpoint version eVOLV 200 TTL available for pre-order now for $329.95.

GODOX AD200

The Flashpoint version eVOLV 200 TTL are available for pre-order now for $329.95.

1. daemorhedron 1 week ago

I like SO much about this, but the price at first seemed high but if you’re getting both heads and some accessories then the price comes as no surprise. I think they will start to offer other kits, such as body alone or body+bare bulb, etc.

Just wish that the bare bulb also came with modelling light, that’s a shocking oversight.

Flash Havoc 1 week ago

Hi deamorhedron,

Yes Godox are going to look into single head kits to hopefully get the base price down a little more again.

I’m not really sure how far away those may be yet though.

2. C. Stephen Hurst 1 week ago

Just received an update for my pre order. Price is now $329, reduced from the originally posted $349.

Flash Havoc 1 week ago

Thanks Stephen,

Yes the full kit with 2 heads and barndoor accessories etc is $329.95!

3. DMWard 1 week ago

Elv,
    Do you know if they have included the MASK function in the Cfn area.
    If its there these will be ideal for small product photography.

The form factor is great. And reasonable power for the size.

Flash Havoc 1 week ago

Hi DMWard,

Yes the mask function is listed as a feature.

• DMWard 7 days ago

Elvis,
        That’s great.
        Is there someplace where we can download the instruction manual to get a better idea of all the capabilities?

I think I understand why they are offering it as a kit with both heads, the barn doors etc.

I think it will be used, at least by me, mostly with the bare bulb.

4. Libby 1 week ago

Can I use this flash with a Panasonic camera in manual mode?

Flash Havoc 1 week ago

Hi Libby,

Yes you should be able to. The XT-16 transmitter is single firing pin unit so it should work on most any camera.

Though in most cases the XT-32 / Flashpoint R2T-32 for Canon should work ok as well, and has a nicer interface.

• Sean McCormack 6 days ago

On that note, how is the XT-32C with Fuji do you know? I’m gonna bump my 433mHz set for the new versions soon and am debating which trigger to go for.

5. Ryan 7 days ago

I love everything about this flash, and I think I’m going to pull the trigger on a pre-order tonight. But I’m looking at picking up this and a Glow Parapop 28″ soft box. Which mount would I need to get to fit this thing?

Flash Havoc 7 days ago

Hi Ryan,

The ParaPop’s generally come with a speedlite bracket, and your studio light speeding insert of choice. I would get the Bowens mount insert and one of these Glow Bowens speedlite brackets.

You could probably get away with just using the supplied speedlite bracket (by screwing a 5/8″ stud to the base of the bracket, and mounting the AD200 with its supplied swivel on top), though the Glow/Bowens bracket is a neater solution, which clamps the flash in place quickly and easily.

6. Taro 7 days ago

Guide Number of 60m (barebulb head) and 52m (fresnel head) seems a bit low for a 200ws device. Is this because of the light spread (zoom setting)? I’d really like to get more intuition about its relative power compared to speedlights.

Flash Havoc 7 days ago

Hi Taro,

Yes the fresnel head is set to 35mm. Which means you can still use them in umbrellas and softboxes etc, and its likely they would provide around a stop more light than the bare bulb in that situation.

I don’t have the AD200 yet, though the guide number with bare bulb is the same as the AD180 which I discussed in the original review here.

So provided they are similar to the AD180 they will be around the power of 2 speedlites (at equivalent 35mm zoom setting).

• Taro 6 days ago

Thanks, Elvis.

• VisX 6 days ago

If the Fresnel head is not zoom-able, wouldn’t it be better to just stick with the bare bulb and add readily available Godox accessories like umbrella/bowl reflectors/grid? Unless you already have a collection of Fresnel head accessories (gel/grid/bounce-card, etc), I don’t see a point of using this non-zoom-able Fresnel head.

7. C. Stephen Hurst 5 days ago

I wonder if they plan on releasing a zoom-able Fresnel head in the future. Surely it would be possible. And if so, they should have released that from the start. On another note, I emailed Godox and believe or not they actually got back to me. According to them Adorama should have them by the end of February. This is exactly what they said in response to my two questions.

1. Adorama should have AD200 stock by the end of Feb., please kindly track from their website, they should have the first shipment from us as soon as possible.
    2. We will have one accessory to hold two AD200’s, the accessory is not ready yet, we will keep update it once it is ready , or you can keep track from Adorama website.
    Have a nice day.

Flash Havoc 12 hours ago

Thanks Stephen,

Thanks, I just hope Godox have had the forethought to put the communication channels in for a possible future zooming head.

I’m not sure why they went with a fixed head, though it could be due to the extra cost, size, or conflict with the included LED lights. Even running more power through the speedlite size flash tube was likely a challenge.

I haven’t quite followed what Godox where proposing to hold two AD200’s, though from what I can tell now it sounds like they have not proposed a concept themselves yet. I’m hoping they will consider this S-type bracket double adapter concept with modeling light built-in.

8. Ganesh Naravian 5 days ago

Only Godox company innovative products meets photographers expection with affordable price. Very interesting flash. For regular flash head zoom and built in reflector is most important. I wish they release manual version also (little cheaper)

9. martin 4 days ago

is any further info available on the likely output of the modelling light ?
    i realise its not gonna be powerful but just wondering how it will compare with, say, the ad600.

Flash Havoc 12 hours ago

Hi Martin,

Flashpoint are going to send a sample unit over as soon as they can, so I’ll take a look once I have one here.

• martin 9 hours ago

@FH – thanks, that’s great.

10. George 2 days ago

Wish they would offer a manual only version ( no TTL – similar to V850) with bare bulb only. This would bring the price down for us who do not need the extra features.

@flashhavoc any info on that would be more than welcome!!!

Flash Havoc 13 hours ago

Hi George,

The last I heard Godox were going to look into single head kits to help reduce the base price further to some degree. So hopefully they are still looking into that.

I suggested a manual version as well, though it sounds like that is unlikely to happen as it won’t help to recoup the development costs of the TTL flash.

Godox’s original price was $399, so they have made a considerable compromise already to come down to $329. As you can imagine that already would have taken quite a bit of persuasion.

• Charles 10 hours ago

I’m sad there won’t be a non TTL version. I was planning to buy 4 of these right away if they released a manual version as they’re perfect to replace my setup but I’d just be wasting money on TTL which I never use :( I’ll have to pass on this great product.

11. burndawg 8 hours ago

Godox has listed the ad200 on their website already. Any news when it’s gonna come out ?

12. Jay 5 hours ago

Is this an effective or actual 200ws?

13. Craig 22 mins ago

Something I’d like to see on lights is an arca swiss type rail to serve as a mounting point instead of the permanently attached swivel brackets, removable proprietary swivel bracket, or 1/4″ mounting hole. A swivel bracket with arca compatible clamp should be included so it still has the same functionality. Plus 1/4″ mounting hole could still be inside the rail if they wanted that as an additional option. I don’t really get why manufacturers haven’t implemented this already.

It would allow the swivel bracket to be adjusted fore and aft to balance the weight or allow more room for bulky modifiers.

It would add versatility such as mounting the light directly on a ballhead and tripod.

It would make lights more efficient to pack in a case, and if you didn’t need to use the swivel bracket that could be left at home to decrease weight.

It would be much more secure than 1/4″ thread because those just needs rotational force to come loose. I might add an arca plate to my AD200 when it arrives, but that won’t be nearly as good as an integrated rail.