GODOX – AD200 WITSTRO – Cordless TTL Strobe Coming!

GODOX AD200

Godox have started releasing images of the soon to be announced Godox AD200 Witstro cordless strobe.

The AD200 are a 200Ws cordless Lithium-ion powered TTL and HSS enabled strobe with Godox 2.4GHz X-system radio receiver built inside (currently for Canon, Nikon, and Sony).

GODOX AD200

Being dedicated off camera flashes (they have no hotshoe) the AD200 provide similar compact size of a speedlite though with some added power.

While also featuring an interchangeable flash head which provides the option of either bare bulb or traditional speedlite fresnel head.

GODOX AD200

The AD200 can be mounted via a 1/4″ 20 threaded mounting hole on either side of the flash (allowing landscape or portrait orientation when using the speedlite head).

GODOX AD200

GODOX WITSTRO AD200 FEATURES

• Power – 200Ws
  • Bare Bulb Head – GN 60m, ISO 100 (AD360 reflector)
  • Speedlite Head – GN 52m ISO 100
  • Flash Modes – TTL / M / Multi
  • FEC / FEB – 1/3rd Increments (±3 Stops)
  • FEL (Flash Exposure Lock)
  • Godox 2.4GHz X Radio System
  • Canon, Nikon, Sony, Radio Slave Modes (Auto Switching)
  • Range – 100m + with X1 as Transmitter
  • Groups – A / B / C / D / E
  • Canon, Nikon, Sony, Optic Wireless Slave Modes
  • S1/S2 Optic Slave Modes
  • Flash Duration Frensel Head – 1/220s – 1/13000s
  • Flash Duration Speedlite Head – 1/220s – 1/11300s
  • Color Temperature – 5600 +/- 200k
  • 14.4V 2900mAh Lithium-ion Battery
  • 520 Full Power Flashes
  • 0.01 – 2.1 Second Recycle Time
  • Custom Functions
  • LED Modelling Light (Fresnel Head Only)
  • USB Port for Firmware Upgrades
  • 3.5mm Sync Port

More detail coming as they become available.

Godox AD200

GODOX AD200

GODOX AD200

UPDATE – Adorama now have the Flashpoint version eVOLV 200 TTL available for pre-order now for $329.95.

GODOX AD200

The Flashpoint version eVOLV 200 TTL are available for pre-order now for $329.95.

1. daemorhedron 2 weeks ago

I like SO much about this, but the price at first seemed high but if you’re getting both heads and some accessories then the price comes as no surprise. I think they will start to offer other kits, such as body alone or body+bare bulb, etc.

Just wish that the bare bulb also came with modelling light, that’s a shocking oversight.

Flash Havoc 2 weeks ago

Hi deamorhedron,

Yes Godox are going to look into single head kits to hopefully get the base price down a little more again.

I’m not really sure how far away those may be yet though.

2. C. Stephen Hurst 2 weeks ago

Just received an update for my pre order. Price is now $329, reduced from the originally posted $349.

Flash Havoc 2 weeks ago

Thanks Stephen,

Yes the full kit with 2 heads and barndoor accessories etc is $329.95!

3. DMWard 2 weeks ago

Elv,
    Do you know if they have included the MASK function in the Cfn area.
    If its there these will be ideal for small product photography.

The form factor is great. And reasonable power for the size.

Flash Havoc 2 weeks ago

Hi DMWard,

Yes the mask function is listed as a feature.

• DMWard 2 weeks ago

Elvis,
        That’s great.
        Is there someplace where we can download the instruction manual to get a better idea of all the capabilities?

I think I understand why they are offering it as a kit with both heads, the barn doors etc.

I think it will be used, at least by me, mostly with the bare bulb.

• Pablo 7 days ago

hi, does anyone can explain what is exactly the feature “MASK function in the Cfn area.”?, can you provide a further information or a link where explain how it is used?. Thanks!

Flash Havoc 6 days ago

Hi Pablo,

Godox actually have a video on the Mask function on Youtube here.

• Pablo 6 days ago

Thanks!

4. Libby 2 weeks ago

Can I use this flash with a Panasonic camera in manual mode?

Flash Havoc 2 weeks ago

Hi Libby,

Yes you should be able to. The XT-16 transmitter is single firing pin unit so it should work on most any camera.

Though in most cases the XT-32 / Flashpoint R2T-32 for Canon should work ok as well, and has a nicer interface.

• Sean McCormack 2 weeks ago

On that note, how is the XT-32C with Fuji do you know? I’m gonna bump my 433mHz set for the new versions soon and am debating which trigger to go for.

5. Ryan 2 weeks ago

I love everything about this flash, and I think I’m going to pull the trigger on a pre-order tonight. But I’m looking at picking up this and a Glow Parapop 28″ soft box. Which mount would I need to get to fit this thing?

Flash Havoc 2 weeks ago

Hi Ryan,

The ParaPop’s generally come with a speedlite bracket, and your studio light speeding insert of choice. I would get the Bowens mount insert and one of these Glow Bowens speedlite brackets.

You could probably get away with just using the supplied speedlite bracket (by screwing a 5/8″ stud to the base of the bracket, and mounting the AD200 with its supplied swivel on top), though the Glow/Bowens bracket is a neater solution, which clamps the flash in place quickly and easily.

6. Taro 2 weeks ago

Guide Number of 60m (barebulb head) and 52m (fresnel head) seems a bit low for a 200ws device. Is this because of the light spread (zoom setting)? I’d really like to get more intuition about its relative power compared to speedlights.

Flash Havoc 2 weeks ago

Hi Taro,

Yes the fresnel head is set to 35mm. Which means you can still use them in umbrellas and softboxes etc, and its likely they would provide around a stop more light than the bare bulb in that situation.

I don’t have the AD200 yet, though the guide number with bare bulb is the same as the AD180 which I discussed in the original review here.

So provided they are similar to the AD180 they will be around the power of 2 speedlites (at equivalent 35mm zoom setting).

• Taro 2 weeks ago

Thanks, Elvis.

• VisX 2 weeks ago

If the Fresnel head is not zoom-able, wouldn’t it be better to just stick with the bare bulb and add readily available Godox accessories like umbrella/bowl reflectors/grid? Unless you already have a collection of Fresnel head accessories (gel/grid/bounce-card, etc), I don’t see a point of using this non-zoom-able Fresnel head.

7. C. Stephen Hurst 2 weeks ago

I wonder if they plan on releasing a zoom-able Fresnel head in the future. Surely it would be possible. And if so, they should have released that from the start. On another note, I emailed Godox and believe or not they actually got back to me. According to them Adorama should have them by the end of February. This is exactly what they said in response to my two questions.

1. Adorama should have AD200 stock by the end of Feb., please kindly track from their website, they should have the first shipment from us as soon as possible.
    2. We will have one accessory to hold two AD200’s, the accessory is not ready yet, we will keep update it once it is ready , or you can keep track from Adorama website.
    Have a nice day.

Flash Havoc 1 week ago

Hi Stephen,

Thanks, I just hope Godox have had the forethought to put the communication channels in for a possible future zooming head.

I’m not sure why they went with a fixed head, though it could be due to the extra cost, size, or conflict with the included LED lights. Even running more power through the speedlite size flash tube was likely a challenge.

I haven’t quite followed what Godox were proposing to hold two AD200’s, though from what I can tell now it sounds like they have not proposed a concept themselves yet. I’m hoping they will consider this S-type bracket double adapter concept with modeling light built-in.

8. Ganesh Naravian 2 weeks ago

Only Godox company innovative products meets photographers expection with affordable price. Very interesting flash. For regular flash head zoom and built in reflector is most important. I wish they release manual version also (little cheaper)

9. martin 2 weeks ago

is any further info available on the likely output of the modelling light ?
    i realise its not gonna be powerful but just wondering how it will compare with, say, the ad600.

Flash Havoc 1 week ago

Hi Martin,

Flashpoint are going to send a sample unit over as soon as they can, so I’ll take a look once I have one here.

• martin 7 days ago

@FH – thanks, that’s great.

10. George 1 week ago

Wish they would offer a manual only version ( no TTL – similar to V850) with bare bulb only. This would bring the price down for us who do not need the extra features.

@flashhavoc any info on that would be more than welcome!!!

Flash Havoc 1 week ago

Hi George,

The last I heard Godox were going to look into single head kits to help reduce the base price further to some degree. So hopefully they are still looking into that.

I suggested a manual version as well, though it sounds like that is unlikely to happen as it won’t help to recoup the development costs of the TTL flash.

Godox’s original price was $399, so they have made a considerable compromise already to come down to $329. As you can imagine that already would have taken quite a bit of persuasion.

• Charles 1 week ago

I’m sad there won’t be a non TTL version. I was planning to buy 4 of these right away if they released a manual version as they’re perfect to replace my setup but I’d just be wasting money on TTL which I never use :( I’ll have to pass on this great product.

11. burndawg 7 days ago

Godox has listed the ad200 on their website already. Any news when it’s gonna come out ?

Flash Havoc 6 days ago

Hi burndawg,

Somehow I don’t think Godox where actually ready to release the flash this early. As far as I understand Adorama are expecting stock later next month. I’m not sure when the Godox branded units are expected.

12. Jay 7 days ago

Is this an effective or actual 200ws?

Flash Havoc 6 days ago

Hi Jay,

Godox generally overstate the numbers a bit, so I think most people are expecting around 150Ws, or around the power of 2 speedlites (at equivalent zoom setting).

I said that to Godox and they have since written equivalent to approximately 3 speedlites in their product description :-).

We will see though.

13. Craig 7 days ago

Something I’d like to see on lights is an arca swiss type rail to serve as a mounting point instead of the permanently attached swivel brackets, removable proprietary swivel bracket, or 1/4″ mounting hole. A swivel bracket with arca compatible clamp should be included so it still has the same functionality. Plus 1/4″ mounting hole could still be inside the rail if they wanted that as an additional option. I don’t really get why manufacturers haven’t implemented this already.

It would allow the swivel bracket to be adjusted fore and aft to balance the weight or allow more room for bulky modifiers.

It would add versatility such as mounting the light directly on a ballhead and tripod.

It would make lights more efficient to pack in a case, and if you didn’t need to use the swivel bracket that could be left at home to decrease weight.

It would be much more secure than 1/4″ thread because those just needs rotational force to come loose. I might add an arca plate to my AD200 when it arrives, but that won’t be nearly as good as an integrated rail.

14. Craig 7 days ago

Oh yeah one more thing that should be a standard feature on monolights is a cold shoe foot for mounting a receiver. Ideally located close to 3.5mm hole.

15. Andy 5 days ago

I assume this also fits Cheetah Speed Pro S Bracket. If it is, then i think I will grab one from Adorama. This is perfect for me to travel and on-location wedding photo shoot. I have both AD360, AD600 (XPLOR) and they’re great, but not really compact when travel.

16. Andy 5 days ago

I forget to mention that it would be nice if Adorama offer standard flash without a kit, for example, you can choose to either get speedlite like head or tube head.

Flash Havoc 5 days ago

Hi Andy,

Godox agreed earlier that providing single head flashes would help bring the base price down to some degree. So hopefully they still go through with that.

17. Mike 5 days ago

It might be too early to tell.. but will this flash fit into the Bowens S-Type bracket mounts? It’s a great option to use bowens mounts with Speedlights; I’m really interested in the eVolv/AD200 if it will fit this mount.

Flash Havoc 5 days ago

Hi Mike,

I don’t have an AD200 sample yet to confirm (will check with Godox), though it would be huge oversight if they didn’t. So I really can’t imagine they would let that happen.

Flash Havoc 3 days ago

Update – The guys from Flashpoint have confirmed the eVOLV will fit in their Glow S-type bracket (which is the current Godox S-type bracket).

Its a very need fit though, so it could be possible some previous bracket version out there may be a bit tight. In general they should be OK though.

18. Jerome Yeats 4 days ago

Playing devil’s advocate here, if this flash just has the same power of two flashguns why not just pair two old pre digital flashguns together instead. All you would need is a couple of optical slaves. Sure you would lose TTL and High Speed Sync but I hardly ever use TTL and how often do you need HSS? No I am not a Luddite but I think we have become obsessed with the latest expensive toys at the expense of what we already have, and often do not use.
    What I would like is a Witstro 360 in monobloc form with the ability to be used indoors on a mains supply as well as battery for outdoors. Or something like the simple Godox DE-300 with a battery adapter (the latter will never happen). Simples

• r deloviar 3 days ago

For me at least, I use HSS often even if I only need just a stop more than 1/200. The mood and look of my final image can change dramatically with even one stop, as for ttl, better to have and not need than to need and not have. Secondly, I love the Bowens, S type bracket but it only accepts one light at a time, two speedlights would not work with the bracket. Additionally, I also I prefer the Omni-directional light output of a barebulb (fills modifiers more efficiently), speedlights throw light forward yes, I know you can zoom out and add modifiers etc. but you continue to reduce light output each time you put something in front of the light. Lastly, two speedlights is just cumbersome in comparison to a single unit. Less space in your bag, less batteries to replace or recharge and less things to assemble/disassemble saves time. So for me personally it’s not an “obsession with the latest expensive toy at the expense of what I already have, and often do not use” since, I don’t already have the above features and I do have a need for certain features (ttl, hss). Your wants/needs may differ but I wouldn’t discredit the wants/needs of others.

• Jerome Yeats 18 hours ago

Oh dear, oh dear. Who is discrediting the needs of others? Why be so ernest? No one is going to take your toys away. I wouldn’t use TTL and have never needed HSS. Now seriously, have you checked out the cost of two old flashguns.? I must have about 13 and they are all useful. If you are worried about the space of two flashguns in your bag as opposed to a new toy then I truly do not know how to reply, except to laugh.

Flash Havoc 11 hours ago

Come on guys, be nice :-)

People may not know, though I got into this making dual and multiple speedlite brackets for people, going on 10 years now.

And for as long as I’ve been making dual speedlite brackets I’ve been harassing manufacturers with the AD200 like concept, to make dedicated off camera speedlites. Basically a dual speedlite in one unit, simply because its more convenient than rigging up multiple speedlites all the time.

I was constantly told its too hard, or it won’t be cost effective and all the rest. Though the reality is once it gets started, and there’s demand, volume, and competition etc, the prices come down. That’s the process we will go through now. It could have started years ago though.

I still remember when we couldn’t convince YongNuo there was a market for simple manual speedlites. It took a number of years before that started, and now they have basically made a career out of it.

So theres nothing wrong with linking cheap manual speedlites together if that suits you, though its well overdue that flash units evolve as well. (I had nothing to do with the naming btw).

• r deloviar 11 hours ago

I was never trying to be “not nice”. I was only stating reasons a product/idea like this appeals to me and my needs and uses. I believe I did a good job stating those reasons? Anyhow, I realize going on tangents in a discussion has no added value… I won’t be that guy. Good day FH and best wishes to you Jerome

Flash Havoc 11 hours ago

Thats cool, I was just trying to interject a little to avoid things possibly spiraling downwards.

• r deloviar 11 hours ago

1) You discredited the needs of others “No I am not a Luddite but I think we have become obsessed with the latest expensive toys at the expense of what we already have”

2) I’ve checked the prices of two flashguns, I even own a few… no matter how inexpensive they are I still can’t make two of them one single unit

3) I value all the space and weight in my bag… I guess this is the part where you laugh at me

19. James Rutsky 16 hours ago

Sorry – going back to an earlier comment by Jay… Unlike GN, Ws is not a measure of light output. It is a measure of power discharged by the capacitors and available to the flash tube. The actual light output depends on the efficiency of the flash tube, type of reflector used, etc. As to the question of effective or actual 200Ws, it probably will actually be 200Ws. You are probably referring to the GN, which almost every manufacturer overstates.

Flash Havoc 11 hours ago

Hi James,

In the early days of the AD360, Godox informed one of their dealers they were technically 307Ws.

So that’s basically what I was referring to. They insist the AD600 are 600Ws though.

We have certainly seen how different flash tubes, and they way they are mounted etc can make a big difference in the amount of light produced.