The XExpert are a pack and head system, so the capacitors and most of the weight are housed in the pack. While a lightweight remote flash head is then attached via a 2.8m long cord.
The RS600P XExpert feature remote manual power control, using the same FT-16 and FT-16R radio set compatible with the Godox Witstro and Ving flashes. So they all combine nicely together using the one simple and reliable transmitter unit.
The RS heads provide a sturdy swivel base and Bowens S-type accessory mount capable of supporting decent size softboxes. And a bright 12W LED modelling light is capable of running continuously for periods of up to 15 mins with the help of an inbuilt cooling fan.
RS600P XEXPERT FEATURES
- 600 WS – Guide Number 68M @ 100 ISO
- Interchangeable 12.8v 8000mAh LifePO4 Lithoum-ion Battery Modules
- Aproximately 450+ Full Power Shots Per Battery Charge
- Built in 12W LED Modeling Lamp with Cooling Fan and Auto Off Timer
- Clip-on Radio Receiver with Remote Power Control
- 16 Power Levels – 1/1 to 1/32, in 1/3rd Stops
- Fast Recycle Speed – 2.5 Second at Full Power
- Audible Ready Indicator
- S1 and S2 Optic Slave Modes
- Color Temperature 5600K ± 200K
- Flash Duration 1/800 – 1/2000 seconds
- Bowen’s S-Type Accessory Mount
- Sturdy Swivel Mount
The XExpert strobes are not altogether new, as the RS version of these lights featuring the current sturdy head design where first released around 12 months ago under the name of the XEnergizer.
And somewhere around 6 months ago the XEnergizer then changed names to the XExpert due to trademark issues .
At the same time a cooling fan was also added to the heads, allowing the 12W LED modelling light to run for 15 minutes continuously instead of just a few minutes.
The latest version of the XExpert now feature new and larger battery clamps, reportedly updated more due to patent issues than any functional problems with the previous clamps.
Though likely of more significance, the latest version XExpert are reported to have considerably updated circuitry inside. Designed to finally resolve an Error Mode issue which has affected a small portion of the RS and earlier ES units, right back to the first versions from a number of years ago.
And so the way to identify the updated version XExpert is to look for the larger battery clamps as highlighted below.
Being a pack and head system the XExpert provide a lightweight head which can easily be hand held. And a good quality pouch with wide comfortable shoulder strap makes the pack easy to carry as well.
When mounted on a lightstand the pack itself can be used as ballast at the base of the stand. While the lightweight head is not top heavy when mounted up high on the stand, or on a boom pole etc.
The Pack XExpert pack provides a very clear and simple interface, with LCD display and power dial providing 1/3rd stop power adjustments from 1/1 down to 1/32 power.
Being voltage controlled (rather than IGBT) the XExpert need to dump extra energy from the capacitors as power levels are reduced. And conveniently they do this automatically within a few seconds without actually firing the flash.
- Max Power – 600WS
- Guide No – 68m ISO 100
- Recycle Time – Approx. 2 – 2.5 seconds at full power
- Flashes Per Battery Charge – Approx. 450 full power flashes
- Battery – LiFePO4 (12.8V / 8000mAh)
- Flash Duration – 1/800 to 1/2000 second
- Power Control – 16 Power Levels – 1/1 to 1/32 (in 1/3rd Stops)
- Modeling Lamp – 12W 12V LED
- Color Temperature – 5600K ± 200K
- Voltage of Charger – AC 100 – 240V / 50-60Hz
- Battery Pack Size – 17 x 8 x 26cm
- Pack Net Weight – Approx. 2.98 kg
- Head Net Weight – Approx. 0.98 kg
- Battery Size / Weight – 17 × 8 × 10.7cm / 1.71kg
- Weight With Case – Approx 7.8 kg
The XExpert kits comes with its own sturdy padded aluminium carry case and accessories.
The XExpert do not provide and advanced TTL or High Speed Sync capabilities becoming popular now, though they are good simple and sturdy lights with good flash duration and color consistency etc.
And most importantly for people already invested in Godox Witstro or Ving speedlites, the XExpert combine nicely using the same simple reliable FT-16 radio transmitter unit, providing convenient remote manual power control.
The XExperts modeling light can also be turned on and off remotely from the FT-16 transmitter.
Light output for the RS600P is very close to one stop more than the Witrsto AD360.
PRICE AND AVAILABILITY
The updated XEpert RS400 and RS600 kits are available now from some dealers from around $430 and $490 respectively.
Godox – Website