GODOX – TT685C – TTL Radio Speedlite – Now Available

Godox TT685C

Godox have released the TT685C speedlite for Canon, a fully featured TTL and HSS enabled flash unit with 2.4GHz radio receiver built inside.

The TT685C are also available from Adorama as the Flashpoint Zoom TTL R2 for Canon.

GODOX TT685C

The TT685C provide Godox 2.4GHz X System Radio Master and Slave modes.

The Radio Master mode can fire and control the complete Godox 2.4GHz Flash System, including cross compatibility with Godox 2.4GHz slave strobes for Canon, Nikon, Sony, M4/3, and Fuji.

An auto sensing Radio Slave mode can also be fired and controlled by Godox 2.4GHz Master flashes and Transmitters for Canon, Nikon, Sony, M4/3, and Fuji.

All with TTL and HSS available across platforms where applicable.

NOTE – Godox flashes purchased before July 2017 may also require a user installed firmware update to add the Olympus / Panasonic, and Fuji, radio slave modes (at least for TTL use).

GODOX TT685N

A large dot matrix LCD display provides easy access to the master interface and functions.

5 slave groups are provided – A / B / C / D / E

And remote groups can be mixed, with TTL and Remote Manual Groups used at the same time, while individual groups can also be turned On and Off easily as needed.

(NOTE – There is no GR Mode with pre 2012 Canon Cameras – So only 3 Groups available then, and no mixed TTL & Manual)

GODOX TT685C

As well as acting as their own master flash on-camera, the TT685C are also compatible with the new Godox X1-C TTL transmitter and receivers.

An X1T-C transmitter mounted on the camera hotshoe can control a number of remote TT685C speedlights off camera.

While original Canon Speedlites like the 580EX II, 600EX-RT etc can be included in the system by attaching X1R-NC receivers to their feet.

Godox X1-C

GODOX TT685C FEATURES

• GN 60 (m ISO 100)
  • Powered by 4 x AA batteries
  • Flash Mode – ETTL /M / Multi
  • 1st Curtain Sync / 2nd Curtain Sync
  • FEC / FEB – 1/3rd Increments (±3 stops)
  • Manual Flash – 1/128 – 1/1 output control (1/3rd increments)
  • Flash Zoom 20 – 200mm
  • Radio Master & Slave Modes for Godox 2.4GHz X Radio System
  • Godox – Canon / Nikon / Sony / M4/3 / Fuji – TTL Radio Slave Modes
  • Mater Groups A / B / C / D / E  (In GR Mode – Requires 2012 Onwards Cameras)
  • Slave Groups A / B / C / D / E
  • Foot Clamping Ring with Locking Pin
  • Sound Prompt
  • Custom Functions
  • Settings Memory
  • Overheat Protection
  • USB Port for Firmware Updates
  • Communication Port (For XTR-16s / FTR-16s Receivers)
  • 2.5mm Sync Port
  • External High Voltage Battery Port

Although resembling the recent Godox V850 and V860 speedlites, the TT685C feature a larger Dot Matrix LCD display with on screen menu options. As well as fully back-lit function buttons, including extra Link and Mode buttons.

More significantly though, instead of Lithium-ion power, Godox have chosen to start with a more traditional 4 x AA battery powered unit. With the option of connecting an external High Voltage Battery Pack for faster recycle times etc.

(Lithium-ion powered V860II-C are also now available).

GODOX TT685C

The TT685C provide a 3.5mm Sync Port, and USB Port for firmware updates.

As well as a 4 pin Communication Port which provides backward compatibility with Godox’s remote manual XTR-16s / FTR-16s clip-on radio receivers (also used with the original V850 and V860 speedlites).

GODOX TT685C

A High Voltage External Battery Port is provided at the front of the flash, for connecting external battery packs like Godox’s popular PB960, or other Canon compatible packs.

GODOX TT685C SPECS

Brand Godox
Model TT685C
color Black
Max. Recycle Time 2.6 seconds at full power
Guide Number(m ISO 100) 60M
Color Temperature 5600K±200K
Wireless flash function Master,Slave,S1,S2
Battery AA*4
Power input support
Multi Mode Frequency 1 to 199Hz and Times 2 to 100
Flash Duration 1/300 to 1/20000 second
Flash Coverage Manual zoom from 20 to 200mm
Controllable slave groups 3 (A, B, and C)
Compatible Cameras Canon EOS DSLR(E-TTL II)
Size 64 *76*190 mm
Weight 410g

PRICE AND AVAILABILITY

The Godox TT685C speedlites for Canon are available now from around $119 –

AdoramaAmazonUKEbay

Godox – Website.

1. Donald 2 years ago

Looks like a great system for new users, but lots of people like me have already invested in multiple Yonghuo flashes, so why should one switch now?

I’m still waiting on an ETTL barebulb, come on Godox.

Hi Donald,

I don’t think even Godox expect many people are going to abandon their existing YongNuo triggers just for the sake of switching to Godox.

Though there is an ever growing user base of Witstro and Ving flash owners, who like yourself are very much awaiting a TTL version of the Witstro, as well as a Master radio flash of either the V860 or Witstro.

The TT685 are very likely just the first small step towards that goal, and sooner or later Godox will know doubt have their TTL radio master flashes available.

And provided they are as reliable as the current remote manual radio system, it will make a lot of sense for many people to standardise to the Godox radio system at that point. And considering the position Godox are in its probably lucky for many people that they are interested in providing any YongNuo compatibility at all.

YongNuo have had a head start in the trigger area for quite a while now, while Godox are well ahead in building larger flash units themselves. So just as Godox need to get a move on with the radio system, YongNuo are going to have to start providing some bare bulb and master flash solutions as well if they want to keep on top of the game themselves.

• Tom 2 years ago

Am I right in saying that there is still no HSS i-TTL remote radio flash system on the market for Nikon with built in triggers? I don’t understand how this isn’t everyones priority.

Hi Tom,

There is the Phottix Mitros+ and Odin for Nikon which have been available for quite a while now.

If you’re after something a little more economical though, Shanny should be releasing their RF system and built-in Master/Slave flash for Nikon next.

The range on the Canon version is very good (due to a long antenna wire inside the flash it appears). So provided the functions provided are good, they may be a great option soon.

YongNuo have been very slow with releasing new gear for a couple of years now, otherwise I’m sure they would have dropped a YN-622N transceiver into a flash by now. I’m hoping that may be why there has not been a YN-568EX II for Nikon released yet.

• Tom 2 years ago

Thanks for that! I’ve looked at the Mitros+ but it seems to fall short in a couple of places. Especially for the price. I really push my flashes hard.

Will be watching Shanny! Fingers crossed! Also excited to see what Yongnuo will bring out. I have bought into their system and it works well. It’s just so time consuming and cumbersome to use external triggers.

I’m just impatient. It feels like this is the answer a lot of photographers are looking for but nobody seems to be in a hurry to do it. And don’t even get me started on Nikon. Lazy buggers. I’m sick of my SB-900’s. Just a few pops and they over heat, the recycle time sucks and they weren’t cheap. I preferred my SB-800’s. Their optical system was amazing 8 years ago, but that’s where they’ve stayed. They’re not innovators anymore.

Very thankful that you answer so many questions. You’re blog is great!

Hi Tom,

In that case I’m not sure if the Shanny or even YongNuo flashes are built to really take a lot of abuse.

Of the inexpensive flashes I would think the Godox V850 and V860 are generally the more solid option there. They don’t accept an external battery pack, so you can’t go super crazy with recycle times, though the built in Li-ion battery provides pretty fast recycle times as they are.

I rarely ever hear of dead V850 / V860, and when I put one to an extreme test against a YN-560 III, that blew the flash tube well before the V850 showed any signs of giving up (though it did melt the front lense). The V850 / V860 needed to be built tougher to withstand their H-mode (which would blow the commonly used speedlite flash tube in one shot).

I know that doesn’t help with your built-in TTL radio though. Godox are getting there slowly, though the Nikon system may be some wait yet.

Phottix may even get to a Mitros+ II before then, I and would hope this area would be their main priority next time.

• ellery 2 years ago

Could you elaborate why you said that the V850/v860 needs to be built tougher to withsant their H-mode ? Does the flash tube blow in actual real world usage ?

Hi ellery,

No I’ve rarely heard of V850 / V860 failures in use.

Though when the V860C were originally released, there was a shortage of stock of the heavier duty flash tubes used in the V850. So Godox tried using a regular tube, which was supposedly equivalent to what the YongNuo speedlites and most other speedlites commonly use. And unfortunately the H-mode on the V860C would blow that tube often with the first pop. So those flashes obviously had to be recalled.

Using the regular ETTL HSS mode did not fry the tube though, so its the H-mode that puts more stress on it. I’d guess the H-mode likely pulses the flash for a longer period, and it provides more light too, so likely fires at a higher level as well.

The flash automatically limits to 10 consecutive shots at full power in H-mode though.

So no common issues other than that first batch of V860C having the mismatched flash tubes.

• and 2 years ago

same here.

2. Tapio 2 years ago

I’m confused… This flash solves nothing for the Godox lineup so far. Besides being overall bulkier, wouldn’t a V860 with a Cells II accomplish the exact same task? They ditched the Li-ion technology which attracted me to their flashes in the first place and the fact that the receiver is now built-in is, in my opinion, next to pointless; the FT-16s are very small especially for the V850 and V860 as well as being very cheap.
    As far as I am concerned with Godox, I’m waiting for a commander unit much like the Cells II but with built-in display and channel selector much like the FT-16, so I could have HSS on my Witstro 360 without the need to carry 622s with me (even if I’m not entirely sure the FT-16s supports the earlier HSS signal needed for the Witstros).
    Oh, well, hopeful thinking…

Hi Tapio,

The TT685C have a full ETTL receiver built inside. So its a bit like having a YN-622C receiver built inside the flash.

I think this flash is just the first small step into the Godox built in TTL system. No doubt they will have Master and Slave flashes next, and eventually incorporate TTL radio into the Witstro and likely Ving as well.

Godox have intended to produce TTL versions of the Witstro for a long time now. Though they also intended to keep the flashes compatible with the current remote manual system as well (as they have done with the TT685C).

I would expect their intention would be to eventually provide a 2.4GHz version of the remote manual clip on receivers as well. So existing flashes like the V850 and AD360 could be controlled with Remote Manual (and H-mode HSS) using a transmitter like the X1 TTL (or a Master flash with the transmitter built inside).

So basically the X1 would be the all in one transmitter you’re waiting for, its just the 2.4GHz clip on receiver to wait on now.

3. Extraone 2 years ago

Why no hinged battery door or lithiun battery pack?

And that locking wheel, dahell?

Dont see the potential to this flash.

Hi Extraone,

The battery door is hinged from the side.

Regarding the Lithium-ion battery, I would be surprised if Godox are not intending to produce a TTL Radio version of the V860 at some point as well.

I’m only guessing Godox have started with an AA flash this time because they don’t really have any up to date AA flash available otherwise. The previous TT680C are very outdated now.

So this flash provides an up to date on-camera ETTL flash for people that prefer AA batteries. At the same time they can act like a V850 etc in the remote manual system off camera.

And lastly they are also like the Godox equivalent of a YN-568EX II flash with a YN-622C receiver built inside (again something YongNuo have been very slow to provide).

No doubt most people will be waiting for the Witstro and Ving versions though. And the Master and Slave equipped versions.

• Tapio 2 years ago

I may be wrong here, but I considered the Godox systems as something similar to Metz’s “potato-mashers” (think Metz 45 CL-4) and SDA adapters: a simple, robust flash system with replaceable adapters able to mod the flash to different systems.
        In my opinion, there shouldn’t be any reason for the Witstro 360 not to be TTL capable; there is no zoom head to be controlled, the power is controllable manually, so no reason for it not to be controlled automatically by a new commander unit and HSS and rear curtain sync can’t be that hard to accomplish (the YN622 is a third party trigger that somewhat does the HSS trick).
        There is no reason, as far as I can see, to release a brand new flash just to offer TTL support (think 360/180), when the old flash can be upgraded by a simple clip-on receiver. Well, other than just to squeeze more money from the end-user, in which case, I’m good with my current setup (Witstro 360 and 2xV850).
        I like the fact that these flashes don’t carry built-in transceivers because that means they can be more easily future proofed. The fact that Godox made the receivers clip to the side of the flash and not to the hotshoe was one of the reasons I had such high hopes for the system; that means that theoretically, If the user were to switch camera brands in the future, the only thing that would need upgrading would be the commanders and maybe the clip-on receivers.
        The TT685 makes little sense to me because it features a built-in receiver and also has the port for the old FT-16s, which basically means the FT-16 will not evolve further and Godox will switch to a new 2.4ghz system, watering down their line-up.
        Godox were on to a winning formula. I just hope they don’t stray too far from it.

It was always going to be interesting to see how Godox were going to approach this. Whether they would make the TTL radio system clip-on as well, as even the Q-flash system had done to a large degree.

I think we can see the answer regarding the TTL radio system though, that’s obviously going to be built-in now. Godox probably don’t see a big need to change the radio system again after this. And built-in saves any issues with external connections etc.

I just hope they are intending to provide 2.4GHz clip on remote manual receivers to link the old and new systems together. I’d be very surprised if they are not intending to do that though.

Regarding the existing manual Witstro working with TTL, I think there is zero chance of that.

Just because they provide remote manual power setting now does not give them any ability to provide TTL, if that capability is not already built into the flash (which unfortunately its not). That would be like suddenly turning a V850 into a V860.

Though as I mentioned hopefully the new TTL master units will still be able to control the current manual flashes in remote manual (with a new 2.4GHz clip on receiver).

The H-mode HSS would still be functional then, and with just the one transmitter unit on the camera. But regular TTL style HSS (which turns on and off automatically) is very unlikely with the current non TTL flashes.

Godox are not trying to squeeze more money out of you unnecessarily with this, they simply haven’t built the TTL capable processors into the flashes yet.

• Tapio 2 years ago

Thanks for the quick reply, Flashhavoc! Top notch attention to detail. 🙂

• D-light 2 years ago

I´m thinking what if the all new 2.4Ghz version of Ft16(s) would `organize`TTL?
            It only had to trigger the TTL-preflash first, then receive the camera-calculated output power, apply for the exposure-flash; … well, doesn´t seem impossible to me.

Greetings!

Hi D-light,

Its probably not impossible, though it would be an extra step trying to convert one protocol to another.

And it would still leave out the automated HSS (with no way to switch H-mode on and off remotely) so I thinks its highly unlikely Godox would ever try and offer this.

The YongNuo engineer has had a bit of fun linking their previously incompatible systems together to some degree, though I can’t see Godox playing around with things like that when they have enough on their plate just engineering the base system.

• D-light 2 years ago

Hi flashhavoc,
                the conversion of protocols step seems smaller, if you consider that we went from 3 to 36 Megapixels in 12 years or so. The usb interface on the AD 360, or rather to which internals it is (not) connected seems to be the bottleneck, I assume. Leading to: next to their ttl-flashes, I don´t see a ttl-ification of the witstro coming either. But if the follower of the f16 could enable some sort of reliable automatic it would be great to use with the 400ws LiIon ringflash …

You´re right about the HSS in AD360 is hands on/no remote only as well, one can´t even change the power setting with the ft16 remote.

I never understood why YongNuo had so many different systems in the first place. I guess, I´m too much a manual mode kind of person to be interested in their different features.

Have a good day!

4. Jason 2 years ago

I’m baffled as to why they wouldn’t include their lithium batteries. They would crush the comp with that combo…..Just sayin.

Are you listening Godox!?!?!?!??

• the flasher 2 years ago

that li ion battery has caused me and many others, plenty of problems….i’m sticking with AA batteries from now on….

5. Tapio 2 years ago

Godox have improved upon their batteries in later iterations. I took apart the battery on my 360 and things look pretty good: the batteries seem to be balance charged (at least it is more than the simple 3S circuit I was expecting) and I was able to power the flash with a home-built 11,1 3S lithium battery pack with no drop in recycle speed that I could see. My full power flash recycle speed has always been between 1 and 2 seconds bellow the manufacturer stated recycle time, but I do not mind since I rarely use full power except in H-mode.
    I am sure that they made a mess of it early in the cycle of their li-ion flash systems, but they were pioneers and the technology really is there for a remarkable flash system.
    There are some tutorials online for converting even the pocket strobe flashes to external power supplies, but that is probably not to everyone’s taste.

6. Eric 2 years ago

I agree with Jason…Why would they not do the l-ion batteries with the flash. I’ve been running mine for over a year and a half shooting events and have not had an issue with them. I’m tired of AA batteries and doing battery management with my rechargeables. Maybe their reasoning is the oncoming advancement of rechargeable l-ion AA’s? I know there is the Kentli brand out there. Has anyone tried using them in their flash gear? The Kentli rechargeable l-ions that is.

Hi Eric,

I experienced the battery issues likely to the worst extent I’ve heard of, and I personally still much prefer the Lithium-Ion speedlites.

I doubt very much that Godox have abandoned the Li-ion flashes though (if anything they recently discontinued the NiMH battery packs in favor of Li-ion only), and I’d be very surprised if there is not a Li-ion V865C etc still to come.

I’ll see if I can get any confirmation from Godox once they are back from the Shanghai trade fair.

Godox didn’t really have an up to date AA TTL flash though, and they likely had more requests for an AA flash due to the battery issues last year. So it doesn’t really surprise me they would want to have one available.

UPDATE – I received confirmation from Godox that they are definitely not abandoning the Lithium-ion speedlites, and there will be a version of the V860 with built in 2.4GHz radio coming soon.

The AA powered TT685C are just an introduction to the new Godox TTL system and X1 triggers.

Also as mentioned the previous TT680 were in need of an upgrade, as Godox had received feedback from TT680 owners.

Lindy said Godox always believed its possible for the Lithium-ion flash to replace the AA flashes. And once again apologise for the battery issues last year.

• Tom 2 years ago

Nice one! Thanks!

8. ellery 2 years ago

The phottix mitros+ are as a flash for medium to heavy usage a disaster. Had a friend who bought into the system based on other users recommendation, his first unit burnt out. The electronics fried on job, the replacement went the same way at a shoot where I was shooting 2 man team with him. Simple bounce work at a school play situation, shooting at slow to medium pace shoot – click, 1-2 seconds click, 1-2 seconds click wait wait, click. Googled for response, it seems that this may not be ready for the big time. Pity the odin system is reputed to be the most accurate ttl for nikon, and the choice of mitros+ , indra 300, indra 500 looked like a wonder way to go forth and shoot happy like running a B1/B2 system at about 1/2 the cost.

9. ellery 2 years ago

Could you check for the AD360 is there any work around planned to deal with the 10 shoot limit when shooting HSS ? It serious slows down shoots.

10. mmmfotografie 2 years ago

@Ellery; a workaround is using a ND filter on the lens.

• ellery 2 years ago

mmmfotografie, some how I doubt that using ND would help speed it up. You’d probably need to be tripod mounted, focus, then attach the ND then fire. Assuming you are shooting at wide open say 1.8, assuming your human subject does not move (not likely), you’d probably have to check focus – the issue now is with say a 5 or 10 stop ND on it very likely you not be seeing anything thru view finder now you would have to take the ND off, refocus reattach nd then shoot. You could use live view but for nikon to trigger in live view mode is not a click go , click lag lag then shutter actuates, for shoot for expression this is give me sultry hold hold hold okay try doing that with non model subjects it not going to happen. Or may be you could explain to me how using a ND helps speed thing up. ?

11. pireze 2 years ago

I am actually concerned that Godox is going down the tired road that Yongnuo has, by diversifying their offerings too much.

Manual and TTL and HSS
    AA and Lithium battery packs
    Different trigger systems, different battery packs

Now Yongnuo has two or three different systems of flashes and triggers that have limited compatibility with each other. Yes, choice is good, but no company has unlimited budget for R&D expansion. Eventually you get what is happening with Yongnuo now, where research and development is so dispersed across multiple product lines that it actually slows down new innovations and releases.
    Godox risks having the same if they don’t have a big picture strategy or goal.
    Of course, I approach this from the point of view of someone who does full manual control of flash power, with no use for TTL or HSS features. For me, those just add cost and complexity to the lighting. For me, something like a streamlined version of V850 or AD360 with the FT-16 type triggers built into the unit would be perfect.

Hi pireze,

I certainly know what you mean, though I really don’t think that is the situation with Godox at all. They have been planning the transition to the TTL system for a number of years now, and its been very slow an considered. They are conscious of making all the lights compatible, and backward compatible as well.

There is often a compromise with range and reliability with TTL triggers, though all that would really require is a manual transmitter option as well. Using the same built in radio receivers should not be an issue.

Also the recent Shanny RF flashes for example have a large antenna wire inside which provides them with very good range even for a full TTL system. There’s likely no need for them to consider a manual only system as well, if they already do both fine.

12. Peter A 2 years ago

Thanks for the heads up on the Kentli rechargeable l-ions. For some devices, for some users, the 1.5 volts will make a difference. Unfortunately I don’t have any of those devices. But when the price drops significantly, maybe by half, I’ll be ready to buy.

Right now in the US AmazonBasics is rebranded Eneloop XX 2450 mAh batts, $19 for eight. The Kentli are $60 for eight without a charger. Yes, the XXs only recharge 500 times, but that’s still a lot!

13. Peter A 2 years ago

Found the Kentli rechargeable l-ions on Amazon US. The problem I found is that they have 2850 mWh which pretty much equals 1900 mAh (2850/1.5V) which is the same power as normal Eneloops. Wow! Didn’t expect a Li-po batt to be the same power as a NiMH. When thinking about it after finding the Kentlis, I expected it to be maybe twice? But no-o-o! The same! So the eneloop XXs are 25 percent stronger! So much for Kentli…

14. andy 2 years ago

Is it compatible with Canon 600EX-RT? If it is, it would be great and i hope the price is right.

15. Mario 2 years ago

I’ve been waiting for a flash with built-in trigger for the Wistro AD360, is this it?

Hi Mario,

It likely will be once Godox release the compatible 2.4GHz FTR-16 receivers for the AD360.

This would only fire the AD360 though and provide remote manual power control, no TTL with the current AD360.

• andy 2 years ago

Currently i have YN622C and YN622-TX. I use them with PC sync to AD360 and Canon 580EX II. Works very well and HSS too (Note that HSS on AD360 only go down to 1/8 power). I agree that unless Godox has TTL with AD360, then this would make more sense to me.

• Theo 2 years ago

Hi andy, i have a canon mark iii thy yongnuo YN622C and YN622-TX and try to do hss with pc sync and without and i can’t have correct exposure 🙁
          any ideas?

16. Mario 2 years ago

Manual control is good enough for me! Thanks!

17. Spinningplates 2 years ago

Hi elv. Great review as always. I just want to confirm what I think I got from it and comments which is the tt685 will not trigger a v850. In other words you cannot use tt685 as a master to trigger the v850/v860. Correct?

18. Mario 2 years ago

I’ve received mine about a couple of weeks ago. I paid $119 with free shipping, the built and features are outstanding for a flash at this price. The TT685 is fully Canon dedicated and has internal radio-triggering just like the expensive Canon ex-rt600

The only bummer (for me) it’s that the TT685 will NOT master trigger the v850/860 or ad360/ ad180, the Godox TT685 uses a different radio frequency compatible with Canon ex-rt600 flashes.

I was thinking I wouldn’t have to piggy back a transmitter anymore on my current on-camera flash set-up but this flash (unfortunately will not manually trigger the v850/860 or ad380 series at this time.
    The Godox TT685 is USB upgradable, hopefully the radio compatibility will be added later.

• Ryan 2 years ago

Hi Mario, how do you like the flash now that you have been using it for a while now?

Did you get the trigger with it too?

Ryan

• Mario 2 years ago

I like it a lot, it works great!
        No, I didn’t get the dedicated trigger, but I’ll be ordering a TT685 / X1cX-tx combo soon, the prices are amazing!

• Johan 2 years ago

Mario the TT685, or the X1, triggers the new AD360II, and there is a new usb receiver that is compatible with 2,4G for the old AD360.

• Mario 2 years ago

Thank you Johan!
        Integrating my older flashes with the TT685 is just awesome!
        I just wonder if they’re for sale yet. Please post a link if you see it.

You made my day!!!

19. Spinningplates 2 years ago

Thanks for the info Mario! That would have been good specifically for that reason. Yes hopefully it can be updated in future firmware

20. Tomas 2 years ago

I found the Nikon version Godox TT685N on ebay! 🙂
    Godox tt685N ans Nikon shooters – any experiences to share? I’m considering this as a cheap alternative to SB910 – pros and cons when comparing to SB 910?
    I need a new flash that manage HSS, TTL compatible withenYN-622N troggers and compatibility with external power supply and to my knowledge Yongnuo does not have an alternative!

21. Shlomi Cohen 2 years ago

I got my TT685C and X1 trigger and receiver today,
    I must say I was pretty disappointed to learn that while the X1 trigger supports GR mode, the flash does not. This means the internal flash trigger could only be assigned to one of 3 groups, and not 5, like the x1 receiver.
    This is a shame, because the main reason I bought this combo is because of the 5 groups support. Only now I find out that you can only achieve that if you put the flash on an x1 receiver, which completely defeats the purpose of having an internal trigger…
    So what’s the point?

22. Prince 2 years ago

Hi all what is the deference between Godox TT685 and the YN685 thanks for your help

23. the flasher 2 years ago

Hi All, I just received my TT685 and X1c units. They work very well but the hot shoe are too big to lock securely on the camera hot shoe. They will work but they can wiggle lose and fall off.

check out my review:

24. Thomas Yau 2 years ago

just got my 2 TT685N today. Test results were excellent, the flash output accuracy is almost the same as my SB900. When used with the X1 trigger, that’s marvellous. The Godox X1 not only control the power of in i-TTL mode , but can also change the flash mode from i-TTL to M by just changing the setting on the X1 and no need to walk and set manually on the TT685. It is better than my V860N which seems a little bit over when comparing with my SB900. I will sell my V860N and use the TT685 in the near future.
    Cons : Battery compartment’ sign of battery direction is diffucult to notice and the external battery pin contact is quite difficult to connect to the cable.

25. Theo 2 years ago

Hi i have a godox ad 360 and the FTR-16 Wireless Control Flash Trigger Receiver
    i have canon mark iii and i was using YN622C and YN622-TX but i can’t get normal exposure in hss mode
    i try it with and without PC sync. Without the cable i have on stripe over exposure and with PC sync a strip under exposure

i want to ask in i buy th X1c transceiver would i be able to fire the ad 360 with the current setup
    actually will X1c fire the godox ad360 with the FTR-16 Wireless Control Flash Trigger Receiver attached or i have to buy X1 receiver?

26. Peter Bennett 2 years ago

Hi Guys, I have purchased some TT685N’s which work great!

HOWEVER I am having a wierd/annoying issue with these speedlights in that the IR beam seems to persist when you press the shutter leading to the subject having a red pattern on their face. Extremely annoying, and something you cannot replicate on the nikon branded flashes (i have tested this, IR beam cuts off when you press the shutter). The only solution is to wait until the beam shuts off before taking the shot which is not suitable when shooting fast action as the camera will get focus well before the beam shuts off, does anyone else have this problem?

Is this a firmware issue you think? Anyone know if there is a workaround or an update in progress? I just updated their firmware to latest version hoping it would fix this but alas not.

Interestingly the IR beam on the X1-N Transmitter does not have this problem so as a work around i can mount a TT685N on top of the X1-N in the hot shoe however the X1-N flex’s under the weight of the speedlight more than im comfortable with which isnt ideal when moving quickly in crowded spaces

27. Macadphotos 2 years ago

I got the TT685N as well and I am trying to combine it with the X1N/T and X1N/R+SB900. All the following tests are performed with X1N/T on camera triggering both flashes using remote manual. Firmware of all the equipments have been updated (v10 etc.)

Turns out, the color temperature of the TT685N is much warmer than the SB900. (I fired both flashes against a white object)

Also, the TT685N fires earlier than the X1N/R+SB900. I was able to confirm this with a light meter – When both flash fires simultaneously, the light meter cannot read the SB900 (Presumably because the TT685N triggered the light meter earlier) Only when I switch the TT685N off do I get the SB900 reading. I have also checked that none of this is a result of ttl preflash.

Lastly, for HSS, the SB900+X1N/R seems to have a problem at 1/350. The camera does not catch it! However, the SB900 did fired. I am guessing the flash fired before the shutter fully opened. At higher speeds, the camera caught the flash fine.

For now, it seems like combining godox with nikon flashes introduces interesting quirks.

28. Peter Bennett 2 years ago

Thats interesting Mac, i have noticed the extra warmth myself actually, do you have some figures as to the difference in colour temp? Also have you tried to replicate the problem i mentioned in my post above?

Peter

• Macadphotos 2 years ago

I’ll post some photos on flickr tonight on the color difference. As for actual numbers in terms of kelvin, I’m not sure how to get it, but I would be happy to share the link to the raw file if anyone is interested.
      As for the IR issue, I’ll have to test it tonight as well. I assume you are talking about the focus assist beam?

29. Peter Bennett 2 years ago

Yes the focus assist beam, set your camera to af-s, and set the focus priority to release, you will find that the focus assist beam lingers on a moment after the camera actually achieves focus, which means if you are on release priority and trying to catch moments that happen quickly then the IR beam is still visible in the frame because it doesnt shut off when the shutter button is pressed (which it should, and which the nikon flashes do). When testing make sure you are in a dark room with camera settings that will show the ir beam, try iso 1600, f4, 20th. If you link me to the raw images i can try and workout the kelvin difference, i wonder is it possible to correct with gels.

• Macadphotos 2 years ago

Ok, my TT685N is about 300k warmer. I played around in lightroom to get that rough value.
      As for the AF-assist beam, I don’t have the problem of a lingering beam on the TT685N. D800 was set to AF-S, release priority, and I tried your specific exposure settings as well. Flash was upgraded to the latest firmware yesterday.
      Hope that helps.

30. Peter Bennett 2 years ago

So i tested the tt685n against my sb-900 and the godox seems to be about 200k warmer, let me know if you find something similar

31. Macadphotos 2 years ago

The hotshoe base on the TT685N doesn’t quite catch the mount. Even when tightened, the flash can still wriggle out of the mount. There is already a review by Martin photography discussing how the flash fell out on assignment.
    I measured with a caliper and found one end of the base to be about 0.2mm wider compared to the SB900. I would imagine that a quick sanding with a dremel should thin the base enough.

32. Peter Bennett 2 years ago

Yes i read about that, however i have not had this issue with my units (i bought 4) The all have the IR beam issue though, try pressing the shutter while you still see the ir beam, it should shut off when you press the shutter

• Macadphotos 2 years ago

Interesting. I have also read that the hot shoe mount may be different between nikon bodies. That may result in different user experience. Thanks for the updates.

33. brothersimon 2 years ago

“Preface”
    I’m into the Godox system! Had two 850s for 1+ years. And was very happy.
    Some drawbacks (like manual only AF assist light & sleep mode that has to be wakened on the flash). But that seems ok to me.

What I wanted: a TTL + Manual Wireless combo for a hobby-enthusiast price (about 100-120€/flash) with as few devices as possible, e.g. built-in receivers.

YN is awesome, but doesn’t allow that! Either manual (560iii) or fully

GODOX is almoste there with the X1+TT685. Almost (the FT-16s don’t have the X-Version yet!)
    PLUS: you get the combination with the Batterypack (I didn’t have battery problems at all – 500+ flashes per batterypack)

**************************************
    “My problems” > Does anyone know a solution???
    **************************************

WELL. Now let’s talk about Chinese quality.
    I just received my TT685N. A lot of things work great with my D750.

BUT
    # AF-assist light is not working at all. I turned in on in-camera + in the Custom-Menu of the flash. No red lights showing up whatsoever.
    # HSS is not working with the D750 in iTTL mode. ONLY in Manual (after changing settings in-camera / Flash Custom Menue > 1/200 FP(!))
    # MOST annoying: Firmware Update ONLY possible in Windows 7 – That’s a problem!

So Godox, IF you do Firmware updates, PLEASE go for Win 10!
    Otherwise everyone who wants to stay up-to-date with your flash has to be old-style with his OS!
    That. Does. Not. Make. Sense.

Soooo.
    I’m waiting for my X1n triggers from HongKong and the X1-receiver-clips for my V850.
    And then (after Firmware updates or awesome tips from the flashhavoc community) I will call Godox the first low-budget company who has the perfect flash-system ready.

34. Alex 1 year ago

Hello! I bought 2 flashes of godox tt685c, during the first shootings it was made everyone on 300 frames approximately then both flashes began to give out the screen with E5 inscription. if to include again flash, for 5 seconds the normal menu and then again the screen with E5 inscription lights up. in an intsruktion this moment isn’t described, what should I do, help!

35. sal 1 year ago

someone have user experience about TT685C and Canon 5DMK2?
    They are fully compliants or they have limitations about ETTL, HSS, SCS, 5 GR, Master and Slave functions on RT or Optic pulse, etc?

I red this flash have some problems even not fixed?: hot shoe problem , generally TTL overexposure and specially in HSS, af assistant that not shut off when press the button shooting, X1c group function, SCS, etc.
    But the main item to verify is camera and menu compliance, because any advanced feature is useless if it does not work on own canon 5d2.
    The hot shoe problem is main critical issue also on 5d2 or only earlier camera Canon. This issue is less critical on YN 600 ex RT on 5d2?

Someone 5d2 user can help me?
    Many thanks
    Sal

Flash Havoc 1 year ago

Hi Sal,

The TT685C do not currently provide the GR Group master mode. So in radio master mode you don’t have 5 groups, or the ability to mix TTL and Remote Manual Groups, or turn groups on and off quickly.

Even if Godox implement the GR Group mode though, that will likely not be compatible with the 5D II and pre-2012 cameras anyway. That is the current situation with the X1-C transmitter, they have GR mode for 2012 cameras onward only.

As mentioned in reply to your YN600EX-RT post, the Phottix Mitros+ may be a good option for you.

• John 1 year ago

Do you think adding a GR group mode is something they can add via a firmware update or is that something that needs to be in an upcoming flash?

Mixing TTL and manual with five different groups using ad600s and these speed lights would be life changing.

36. ed 1 year ago

Just got the tt685. So far so good. Mounts on the hotshoe no issue. Can the tt685 talk with the YN600? I can only get them to communicate though wireless mode. No luck making them talk with the Radio mode. Suggestions?

Both are on the same channel.

Thanks !!!!
    Ed

• the flasher 1 year ago

ed – the optical wireless mode uses Canons protocol, so all optical wireless flashes work together within their specifications.

The RADIO protocol is developed individually and specific to each manufacturer.

The only inter-compatibility between brands would be if you used flashes that were designed to work with Canons wireless protocol.

• Sal 1 year ago

Hi Ed,
        and why not more easily another Yn 600 to speak both in radio? if you bought the tt685, I suppose you have not got on well with the YN 600? Can you tell me your user experience and the differences between the two? And what Canon camera you use?
        You can confirm if it was fixed on TT685 the AF assistant issue (or it is only for Nikon?) and how it was solved the hot shoe issue with same ring mechanism and not quickly lever style Canon?
        Thanks, because I’m now considering both….. and I returned the YN 600 that (in my case) had randomic issue with multilamp sequence byself? I use a 5D MK2.

thanks
        Sal

37. andrew 1 year ago

anyone tried to update the firmware ? i cand install the .exe on windows 10 64 bit

38. lorenzo rafael 1 year ago

problem “E5” help me

39. zed 1 year ago

Hi everyone,

does anyone know if the hot shoe issue is fixed meanwhile? Thanks in advance.

Flash Havoc 1 year ago

Hi zed,

I think the hotshoe issue was resolved quite early on.

You may want to check with the seller though, as they could possibly have older stock.

40. Shlomi Cohen 1 year ago

Just in case you haven’t noticed: Gr mode has been added to the TT685C and V860C-II !
    Just download and update to the latest firmware. This will allow the flash to control 5 different groups, as well as mixing ETTL and Manual, and turning groups on and off.
    You will also be able to select 1 of 5 groups in wireless slave mode.

From what I hear, this update will be available for the AD360-II as well, pretty soon.

Enjoy

41. Brett 1 year ago

I was under the impression that my Canon 600EX-RT could act as a master for a TT685C, but I haven’t been able to make it work. Are they compatible? If so, is there a trick for getting them to work together?

Flash Havoc 1 year ago

Hi Brett,

The 600EX-RT could be an Optic Wireless master to the TT685C, but not directly a Radio master. The Canon RT radio system is not directly compatible with the Godox radio system.

Something like the Phottix Laso RT radio receiver attached to the TT658C foot may possibly work, to basically turn the TT685 into an RT radio slave flash. Though even if that does work ok now, that could possibly change with later firmware updates unfortunately.

42. Motti Bembaron 1 year ago

I just went to visit a local store that sells Godox and almost bought the X1N with one receiver. He told me that he is waiting for the V685 and the V860II but he claimed that they are both only radio receivers and cannot trigger other flashes.

I was under the impression that both the 685 and the 860 can trigger other 2.4GH receivers or other Godox flashes with radio built in.

True?

Would it be better to buy a X1T-N and four X1R-N receivers or to buy four of the XT-16 2.4GH?

Thank you all.

43. Steve Schaefer 12 months ago

I have an external battery pack that works with my Canon 580exII flash, will the power cord all so fit the godox-tt685c flash?

Hi Steve,

Yes I think all the Godox speedlites use the Canon socket.

44. Steve 12 months ago

It’s just confusing Because even the godox PC 80 external flash battery pack doesn’t even list godox flashes as compatible

45. Sentaur 12 months ago

I have Godox X1T-c with a Canon 7D.

I know that the transmitter does not offer the Gr group mode with the 7D, but I am not able to get a mix of TTL/Manaul controls. Either ALL the slave units have to be dialled with manual power OR all of them have to dialled with TTL (plus any FEC). Is this a limitation of using the X1T-c on a 7D or am I missing something.

The firmware on the X1T-c + the slave flash units are latest versions.

Thanks in advance

46. Dejan Nikolic 11 months ago

there is not function for second curtain with X1T trigger,as a master it can fire SCC but with X1T i cant fire,and no possibility for change zoom with my X1T, camera is canon 5ds, X1T is new software also my 685 is version 3.0 software…anyone have samo problem???

Hi Dejan,

I think there is a known issue with the TT685C / V860II C and SCS function.

Regarding the remote zoom, are you setting that in the custo function menu of the X1T-C transmitter?

47. Hanno 9 months ago

Hi, anybody else having the problem with tt685c heavily overexposing in radio master mode with ttl?

Normal TTL works fine.

Same problem happens when using with x1t.

I almost suspect Canon changed something in the 80D regarding the radio master hotshoe protocol.

Anybody knows who to contact at Godox with such issues?

• Mark (Bump) 8 months ago

Hanno, I am having the same problem as you — heavy overexposure in ETTL RF master/slave, with either an X1 or another TT685 as master — also on an 80D.

The 70D does not exhibit this problem.

48. holeyu 9 months ago

hello everyone,

i recently bought this godox tt685c to pair with my x1c. can anyone confirm that there is no second curtain on off camera mode both optical, radio and using x1 receiver?

your replies are greatly appreciated.

thanks

49. JESSE PATTERSON 9 months ago

Adorama’s Flashpoint Zoom is the same as the Godox TT685 right? The guide number for the Zoom is 34 meters but the Godox is 60.

50. Wolf Dieter 8 months ago

Anybody found S1/S2 mode?