GODOX – X1-N – TTL Triggers for Nikon – Now Available

GODOX X1-C

Godox have released the Nikon X1-N, TTL and HSS enabled 2.4GHz radio trigger system for Nikon DSLRs.

The X1-N are Godox’s first TTL enabled radio triggers available for Nikon, and they have been released alongside the new TT685N Speedlite, with compatible radio transceiver built inside.

The X1-N transmitter can also be used to trigger and control Godox’s new AD600 TTL strobes, as well as the AD360 II Bare bulb flashes.

Its even now possible to control legacy remote manual Godox strobes via the X1-N transmitter, when using new XTR-16 receivers.

Godox X1-N

The X1-N triggers are comprised of separate transmitter and receiver units, with X1-N receivers being compatible with Nikon DSLR compatible speedlites like the Nikon SB-910, SB-900, SB700 etc.

As well as Nikon iTTL compatible flashes like Godox’s own V860N.

GODOX_X1-C

The X1-N provide a full group style interface allowing up to 5 groups to be individually set to either TTL, Manual, or Off.

And importantly TTL and Manual Groups can be conveniently mixed together as needed.

GODOX_X1-C

The X1-N provide TTL, HSS (High Speed Sync) and most of the features comparable popular TTL triggers provide, even a HSS Pre-sync Timing Adjustment.

Godox have even considered small (though important) details like PC Sync Input and Output, something most radio triggers constantly miss.

At the time of writing this the X1-N unfortunately do not provide Second Curtain Sync. Though that may change in time as the Canon version X1-C have now been updated through firmware to provide Second Curtain Sync.

GODOX X1-N FEATURES

• Godox 2.4GHz RF Radio System
  • Range – 100m +
  • Flash Modes – iTTL / M / OFF
  • Second Curtain Sync
  • FEC / FEB – 1/3rd Increments (±3 Stops)
  • FEL (Flash Exposure Lock)
  • Remote Flash Zoom (Auto / Manual) (Global for All Groups Only)
  • Group Mode – 5 Groups A / B / C / D / E   (D & E Are Remote Manual Only)
  • Large LCD Display with Back Light
  • HSS Delay Setting – 0~19.9ms, (100us Increments)
  • Modeling flash
  • AF Assist light (With an On/Off Switch)
  • Wireless Shutter Release
  • Micro USB Port for Firmware Upgrades
  • Transmitter PC Sync Port – Input & Output
  • Receiver 2.5mm Sync and Shutter Release Port – Output

Godox X1-N

The X1-N transmitter features a large clear LCD panel interface, and fast adjustment control wheel.

Godox have even provided a simple switch on the side of the transmitter allowing the Focus Assist Light to be switched on and off when needed.

GODOX_X1-C

X1-N receivers provide a simple Channel and Group selection interface.

GODOX_X1-C

The X1-N receivers 2.5mm Sync Port output can be used for wired and wireless shutter release, as well as firing studio strobes.

(Canon version X1-C shown below).

GODOX_X1-C

GODOX X1-N SPECS

Model  X1N
 Type  For Nikon
 Compatible with  Nikon cameras (i-TTL autoflash)
 Support all cameras that have PC sync socket
 Build-in Remote System  2.4 G wireless transmission
 Modulation Method  MSK
 Power Supply  2*AA batteries
 Exposure Control
 Manual Flash  Support
 TTL Auto Flash  i-TTL
 TTL Control
 High Speed Sync (HSS)  Support
 Flash Exposure Compensation (FEC)  Support, ±3 stops 1/3 stop increments
 Flash Exposure Lock (FEL)  Support
 Focus Assist  Manual open
 Rear Curtain Sync  No
 Modeling Flash  Support, fired with cameras depth of field preview button
 Wireless Flash
 Wireless Function  in TTL mode, Ratio off
 in M mode, Flash Ratio(A B C)
 Support GR (grouping flash)
 Controlled Slave Groups  in the GR grouping mode, 5 (A/B/C/D/E)
 in the Ratio grouping mode, 3(A/B/C)
 Transmitter Distance  >100 meters
 Channel  32 channels
 Others
 Synchronization Delay Set  Support (0-10ms, set in unit of 100us )
 Wireless Shutter Release  Receiver can control cameras shooting through 2.5mm shutter release interface
 Zoom Setting  The focal length can be adjusted through the transmitter
 Display Panel  Wide LCD panel, backlight on/off
 Output Interface  Transmitter: use a PC port to input and output;
 Receiver: use a 2.5mm sync cable to output
 Firmware Upgrade  Use the Micro USB port to upgrade
 Memory Function  Settings will be stored 2 seconds after last operation and recover after a restart
 Transmitter Size/ Weight  72x75x52(mm)/100g

X1T-N  CUSTOM FUNCTIONS

C.Fn-00 – Synchronization Delay Setting –  [ 00 = OFF ] [ 1-100 US delay setting ]

C.Fn-01 – Single Contact Mode –  [ – –  = OFF ] [ on = ON ] (stops transmitter going to sleep)

C.Fn-02 – Zoom Setting –  [ AU = Changes with lens ] [ 20, 24, 28, 35, 50, 70, 80, 105… ]

C.Fn-03 – PC Sync Socket –  [ In = PC Sync connect with Camera ] [ ou = PC Sync connects with Flash ]

C.Fn-04 – Multi Flash OFF/ON –  [ – –  = OFF ] [ on = ON ]

C.Fn-05 – Enable 1/256 Power Level –  [ 1/128 = OFF ] [ 1/128- = ON ]  (1/256 is displayed as 1/128-)

C.Fn-06 – AF Assist Light OFF/ON –  [ – –  = OFF ] [ on = ON ]

C.Fn-07 – Switch between 3 and 5 groups in GR Group Mode –  [ 03 = 3 groups ] [ 05 = 5 groups ]

C.Fn-08 – Turn remote flash beep Off / On –  [ – –  = OFF ] [ on = ON ]

C.Fn-09 – Updates slave strobes Settings before each shot, Off / On – [ – –  = OFF ] [ on = ON ]

MODELLING LIGHT ON / OFF –

A function to remotely turn the modelling light On and Off on strobes like the AD600B has also been added to the X1 transmitters.

Double pressing the Channel button will turn the modelling light ON or OFF.

PAGE MODE INTERFACE

After some persuasion and the help from Adorama / Flashpoint, Godox have implemented a static Page Mode interface option, which stops the groups from moving around on the transmitters LCD screen.

To engage the Page Mode interface hold the Channel button for 5 seconds, or until the groups show again on the LCD screen (after the custom functions disappear).

A flashing Group letter now indicates the current Group selected.

– Single press the Group button – To scroll down groups.
– Double press the Group button – To scroll up groups.
– Turn the Dial – To adjust the Group setting.
– Press the Channel button – To lock in the setting (will also lock in automatically after 2 seconds)

(Unfortunately this is still not quite as we suggested, which would be using the dial to quickly select groups. Though at least the groups are not constantly scrolling around on the LCD screen now).

Godox have also implemented Custom Function C.Fn-07, which allows the display of just 3 groups when you’re currently not using all 5.

This makes it faster to scroll through (by continually pressing the Group button) just 3 groups all displayed on the one page, to select the group you’re after.

The Godox X1-N TTL triggers for Nikon are available now from around $80 a set of Tx & Rx –

AdoramaEbay, Amazon, UK.

Canon Version – X1-C
Sony Version – X1-S

Godox – Website

1. Mat 1 year ago

Hi folks,

another question.. can you turn on HSS on original AD360 remotely via X1 (nikon)?
    I can’t find any button that would allow that, but thought to ask just in case.. 🙂

TIA,
    Mat

2. Ted Lansing 1 year ago

I was wondering if the Godox X1 2.4 GHz Wireless TTL system is fully compatible with the Adorama R2 one? Specifically, could I use a Adorama “Flashpoint ZoomLioN R2 TTL On-Camera Flash Speedlight for Nikon” to trigger GODOX “X1R-N TTL Receivers for Nikon”?
    Ted

• Ulysses 1 year ago

Ted, you should be able to do so. They are all Godox-manufacturered components operating on the same 2.4 GHz frequency and should be compatible with one another.

3. Andres 1 year ago

Hi, Does anyone know what’s new on the v15 Upgrade, Is there still no second curtain sync for Nikon?
    Thank you!

4. Mike 1 year ago

2nd curtain sync is a camera setting in Nikon at least the ones I use so no need to set on the trigger, I get 2nd curtain sync fine

• Andres 1 year ago

Thanks, Do you have it in ttl mode too?

5. Nuno Conceição 1 year ago

I’ve got this and the first Witstro and am having trouble getting them to work together in HSS. Can anyone help?

Hi Nuno,

You will need to provide some more details for anyone to help you. Which transmitter are you using to start with?

Do you have HSS modes set on the flash? (holding both the Mode and Set buttons at once).

• Nuno Conceição 1 year ago

Sorry 🙂

Ok. So I’m using this transmitter described on this news post, the x1n with the first version of the AD360 Witstro (branded by Walimex Pro where I live). I’ve tried all combinations I could: with the old ft16 receiver in the flash, with the x1n receiver, cables, etc. Everything I could think of. I might be missing something… Oh I did try with the HSS mode set on the flash, yes.

6. Ro 1 year ago

I just updated my x1n’s to V15 thinking it will fix my group issues with the xtr-16’s and 860’s. I am using two flashes. One in group A and the other in Group B. If i turn off group A and group B is still on both of my flashes still fire. So frustrating. Is there a fix for this?

7. Frederic 1 year ago

Hi
    I have a issue with my X1N. I’m firing a AD360II in manual mode, but I noticed that I have 1.3 stop less power when triggered by the camera, than with the test button of the X1.
    If I cover the TTL pin with some tape, it is working great, at least as expected.
    So, strange thing happens with my X1, or is it a firmware issue ?

8. Frederic 1 year ago

Ok, I solve my issue. It was a shutter speed limitation (nikon D800). At 1/200, it’s working. Below (or above?), I start losing power.
    I don’t know why, because the max sync speed on the D800 is actually 1/250.

• Ulysses 1 year ago

Frederic, make sure you go into your camera’s custom settings (e1) and ensure you’re using 1/250 (Auto FP). But even then, once you climb above 1/250 sec, the flash output is reduced due to the way HSS works (rapid bursts of light timed with the movement of your camera shutter). And at 1/250 sec, at least on my D4S and Df bodies, I see a heavy gradient at 1/250 sec.

See my test samples:

• Motti Bembaron 1 year ago

I had the same problem with the D750. The max speed sync is 1/200 and not 1/250.

The best way to see it is with off flash strobes, they give you the most accurate results. At 1/250 there is a slight gradient in the photos.

• Tim Kamppinen 1 year ago

Motti, on the D750 you can fix the problem by changing the FP Sync setting to 1/200th.

• Motti Bembaron 1 year ago

Yes, but I just wanted to point out that the D750 has 1/200 max sync and not 1/250 as some sites indicate. The D80 had a speed sync of 1/400 or even 1/500 if I am not mistaken.

• Motti Bembaron 1 year ago

Thanks for the reply Tim.

• siosha 1 year ago

D750 native sync is 1/200

9. Steadyllic 1 year ago

Hi from France
    I just received one X1TN and three X1RN with firmware 15 and I have mixed feeling about this 2,4 Mgz system which will replace my trustee YongnuoN that work perfectly in HSS.

The good news is that I have absolutely no issue placing a strobe on the top shoe of the X1TN: So far, I’ve tested SB900, Godox V860N (old generation) and even SB800 and SB700 and I get perfect TTL results even at 1/8000 s. Apparently, the new firmware plus the mechanical mods of the interface did the trick. In all those cases, one can adjust FEC without problem. On my Yongnuo transmitter, i couldn’t use a SB800 on top as master, as its old technology couldn’t provide proper function as a commander.

What’s very wrong is that I have no means of controlling my Witstro AD360 (old generation) in regular manual mode, as was also the case with the Yongnuo. I’m forced to use a Godox 433Mhz transmitter (FT16?) either manually to make my change of values or on top of the new transmitter. What is worse is that I’m now very limited in HSS with the Witstro: With the YN-622N I could achieve HSS in normal mode from a value of 1/8 and up. Now, every time I fire it, I get curtain issues and I start being on the safe side only at full power. I’m now forced to enter hi-speed sync triggering mode (pressing both Mode and Set). This is a huge regression for me. I’ve played a bit with custom function 00 which adjusts the sync delay but to no avail.

Another minor issue is that the status indicator lamp never turns red both on the transmitter and on the three receivers. I can live with that.

As I have ordered an AD600B, I hope that I can solve the Witstro adjustment and HSS issues because I don’t feel like selling my AD360 for getting a new one.

• Mike 1 year ago

You just need to get the XTR receiver to plug in to the old AD360 and it can be controlled from the X1T

• Steadyllic 1 year ago

You mean the new XT16 2,4 GHz receivers? But then what is the point of having two set of receiver for a result that should be obtained with one? If you mean the X1R which I already own, then there’s something definitely fishy in my set up, because I can’t control the manual adjustments, as stated above.

10. Steadyllic 1 year ago

One more point: I forgot to mention that my present triggers are Yongnuo YN-622N and YN-622N-TX

11. Mike 1 year ago

No these http://flashhavoc.com/godox-xt16-2-4ghz-transmitter-receivers-released/ they plug in instead of the old FT16

Mike

12. MP Singh 1 year ago

I am using two of these units on my Nikon Cameras to control V850s with the XTR-16s.

Here is the challenge, working on one camera with a X1-N trigger I can set the power on different V850s and keep shooting.
    The moment I use my second camera, with second X1-N trigger, it overrides the power set up by first trigger by its own settings.
    I do not want the power settings to change unless I do that myself.

Does any one know workaround it ? Thanks in advance.
    -MP

Hi Singh,

Thomas made a suggestions bellow, though I’m not too sure if that will work.

I think the solution would be to use the XT-16 transmitter (should be available soon) on the second camera, as they don’t send and information other than the fire signal to the flash, unless you change a power level etc on them separately.

• MP Singh 1 year ago

Thank you Flash Havoc, I need to use on Camera flash on both cameras, that is why I have to use these transmitters and not the XT 16.
        Otherwise I was happy with my older godox 433 Mhz triggers.

• MP Singh 1 year ago

Just chiming in to share my experience with everyone about using two of these transmitters on two camera.

I posted this issue above –
        I do not want the power settings to change unless I do that myself.
        Does any one know workaround it ? Thanks in advance.
        -MP

My Findings –
        As Thomas suggested above in response to my question, setting the radio to single contact mode (C.Fn. 2 I believe) helped to some extent. This prevents the X1 to go into sleep mode.
        So if both units are powered on and you set power of remote flashes using one (say first) unit, then using the second camera with second unit does not change the power of those flashes. It retains the power settings set by first unit. Now if you change the power settings using second transmitter, and then use the first camera, those power setting are retained too, and so on.
        The trick is not to switch off these units, even if you switch off the camera.
        The moment one transmitter is tuned on (after turning it off), it overrides the power level set on all the remote flashes.

Hoping i did’nt confuse everyone.

Happy Flashing !!!

• Marko 1 year ago

If it’s ok with you to set the power on only one transmitter, I would set the XTR-16s and the controlling X1T to a group D or E and set the other transmitter to only display 3 groups. Haven’t tried it, but I guess it would work as wanted.

• MP Singh 1 year ago

Marko
            Looks like an interesting concept, can you share more details as to exactly what we are doing.
            thanks
            -MP

• Marko 1 year ago

Sorry for a late reply … My answer is based on two facts:
              1) flashes are triggered if a transmitter set to the same channel is fired,
              2) flash setting is altered only if the transmitter sets the group to which the flash belongs

What I’m suggesting is to use your flashes only in groups that are controllable only by one transmitter (the controlling transmitter; groups D and E). The non-controlling transmitter would supposedly not alter the flash settings, because it would have those groups hidden (display only 3 groups – A, B and C), but would still be able to trigger your flashes because it would be set to use the same channel. I have not tested this though.

13. Thomas Geist 1 year ago

Maybe there’s a workaround – I would have to try it: triggering the flash doesn’t change the change the power. Only when camera and radio wake up by half pressing the shutter button, the power setting is transmitted.

IF you don’t need TTL, maybe setting the radio to single contact mode (C.Fn. 2 I believe) might help. It prevents the X1 to go into sleep mode.

So far my “workaround” is to keep the radios on both cameras at the same setting.

14. Steadyllic 1 year ago

After more testing, I discovered that when you put a flash on top of the transmitter, a new entry appears on its LCD which is a “M” corresponding to “Master” which is fine. What is not cool though, is that FEC doesn’t work at all on the on board flash: no way to compensate for exposure, either from the X1T menu or from the flash itself. This is a huge drawback for me who is used to very underexposed (at least 2/3 of stop) front light in portrait situation.

Concerning the Godox Ving 860 utilized as slave, there is no need to buy the XTR16S, as you can easily dial up or down from the transmitter.

Too bad that’s not the case for the Witstro AD360 old generation!

Are other people experiencing a lack of red light on the status indicator? I wonder if it is indicative of a more serious fault.

Three last questions: Is the X1T N both a transceiver like its Yongnuo equivalent (can both function as receiver or transmitter)? Will my X1R for Nikon be able to obey the promised Fuji transmitter when Godox finally issues it? I’m willing to buy a X1T dedicated to Fuji when it comes out but not to buy again six or seven dedicated receivers. Has anybody been able to use one Nikon receiver for a cluster of two or three Nikon flashes in a soft box by means of a double cable connection with just one receiver? Thanks in advance for your insights.

15. kenny 1 year ago

I have a X1 transmitter on my d750 and it limits my shutter to only 1/200. FOr example, if my shutter is 1/500 and as soon as i put the X1 on, it reverts back to 1/200. I can’t even scroll the shutter higher than 1/200. Same is true for the TT858N and D750. can you explain y? Thanks!

Hi Kenny,

You need to go into the camera menu and set the – Flash Sync Speed to – 1/250th (Auto FP), to allow the HSS to engage above 1/200th shutter speed.

• Kenny 1 year ago

Problem solved!!!!!!!!!! Thxxxxx

16. Steadyllic 1 year ago

My problem of adjusting the power on my Witstro AD360 (1st gen) was indeed solved by mating it with a XTR-16. It took me while to figure out some of its disastrous ergonomics. The lower dial labeled “power” (which goes from zero to eight and then from A to F) must be set on the letter corresponding to the group selected on the X1T-N. It doesn’t work otherwise. Concerning the dip switches which are on the top position under the label “channel”, its more foggy: When they are all in the down position, it’s the equivalent of channel 1 on the transmitter. When the left dip only is on the up position, it means channel 2. For the remaining channels, I couldn’t figure it out because they do not follow any logical pattern. So, I’m stuck with these two channels only. Why to make things easy, when they can be made complicated? Chinese logic, maybe.

I discovered that the X1T-N cannot work alternately as a receiver when another one is in command on board the Nikon. It definitively not a transceiver like the Yongnuo.

With firmware 15 both on receivers and transmitters, there is a confirmed bug, at least for my equipment: When you put either a SB 900 or a V 860 Ving on top of the X1T-N, it fires all right, but you cannot adjust its power, either under the “M” group on the transmitter, or on the flash on the hot shoe. I’ve tried it in the normal TTL mode on the flash and even on the “master” mode, in which case it doesn’t work at all. Very annoying.

I suspect there is something fishy with the advice given in the manual, not to use 1/320s (Auto FP) and to set it instead on 1/250s (Auto FP). When my Wilstro is set to Hi-speed triggering mode (most of the time), I see no difference nor “stable transition from standard sync mode to high speed sync mode” as stated in the user’s manual. But what occurs is that 1/250s setting invariably brings about a sudden over exposure. Do you guys experience that as well? I seem to have read that it’s related to firmware 15, but I’m not sure.

What is the function of the red”status” led on top of the X1T-N. On mine it doesn’t light when the pairing is all right. Should it?

I’ll finish with another candid question: Are the receivers really dedicated to a brand TTL protocol (Canon, Nikon, Sony and later Fuji) or must they absolutely be paired with their dedicated transmitter. I wish to know if I’ll be able to buy only one transmitter for Fuji when it comes out and keep all my Nikon receivers.

17. Isuru 1 year ago

Hi, i got my new godox X1N triggers . And i have a nikon d7000 camera and 2 speedlights ( nikon SB 600 and DBK _ DF-680N) i tried to get some pictures with high speed synk .but my speed lights are not effect on pictures after 1/250 even the flash fired . If some one knows about this matter ,please be kind to give me an idea . Thank you.

Hi Isuru,

For HSS to work you will need to go into the cameras menu, to – Bracketing/flash – Flash Sync Speed – and select: 1/250s (Auto FP).

• Isuru 1 year ago

Hi .
        I did select 1/250s (auto pf ) also selected1/320s (auto pf ) and my flash works untill 1/320s but still the same after 1/320s it doesn’t effect . I have heard that no pc synk connection on nikon d7000, does it matter ? shold i buy a pc sync socket or my tegger already has it ? Im so confuse with this .I use fully manual on my d7000.

Flash Havoc 1 year ago

You shouldn’t need any PC sync adapters.

If you put the SB-600 flash directly on the camera hotshoe, does that work ok with shutter speeds over 1/320th?

• Isuru 1 year ago

I tried both flashes again and both are working fine with highspeed synk on the camera hotshoe. Somehow sb 600 is working highspeed synk with the trigger now but DBK _ DF-680N is still not working on trigger .

• Isuru 1 year ago

DF -680N working lower 1/320s or 1/250s but does not working over 320 0r 250

Flash Havoc 1 year ago

Ok thanks for that. At least the SB-600 is working ok now then.

Unfortunately there is no guarantee other third party speedlites like your DBK will work at all with the Godox triggers, or any other third party radio triggers.

It just depends on how close each manufacturer follows the original Nikon protocols. Its easy to get incompatibility between different third party brands though. The best option would be to get a flash like the Godox TT600 instead.

18. Steadyllic 1 year ago

Any chance to have some insight on the impossibility to make any FEC when a strobe is set on the hot shoe on top of a X1T-N? I set the SB 900 or the Ving 860 in normal TTL position and I can’t correct their input. Adjusting from the trigger (on the “M” group) doesn’t change anything. It’s also impossible to use the strobe FEC commands either.

19. shahar 1 year ago

Hi everyone, I bought the new transmitters X1N including new receivers XTR 16 and for some reason they do not work together, I can not change their intensities.
    I work with 2X 360 Godox ad
    2X VING 860N
    Anyone else having this already?

Hi shahar,

Do you have the latest firmware installed in your X1T-N transmitter? – http://www.godox.com/EN/Download.html

There was originally an issue with the first XTR-16/s receivers, where they would not provide remote power control. Though those receivers should have been recalled and replaced. I think the later receivers still require updated firmware with the transmitter or master flash unit though.

• shahar 1 year ago

Thanks Its working good now.
        but i have 1 more issu my v860n not working with the x1n in hss. do i need to do somthing rong

• Ro 1 year ago

In your Nikon flash menu. Make sure the sync speed is at 1/250th FP

• shahar 1 year ago

it is on *250 fb

20. Dinos Constantinou 1 year ago

I have the godox x1n transmitter and receiver set and I have tried using my godox ving 860 flash off camera. It seems to work in TTL mode for example focus aperture and exposure on the flash change according to my Nikon cameras setting, but if I change to manual I cannot alter the flash power settings from the transmitter, in essence I have lost what I had with the ft16 transmitter receiver set. The firmware on the godox x1 kit is all at 15. Am I doing something wrong or is this a bug.

• Mike 1 year ago

You have to leave the flash in TTL and set the manual adjustments on the trigger

Mike

21. Felipe 1 year ago

I am experiencing what I think is a glitch with the Flashpoint R2 Radio Transmitter/Receiver and the Flashpoint XPLOR 600

There is a certain power level where what shows on the trigger is the reverse of what the light unit displays. I don’t know if there is a place for me to check for firmware updates so I don’t know if it is something that has been resolved but I filmed a quick video showing the issue that you can watch here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AxFmcmpE2GQ

22. Dinos Constantinou 1 year ago

Hi Mike

thanks for the information and I will try it but it looks like its possible in manual mode:

i have just updated the firmware on the godox flash to v2.2. see how that works

thanks

23. Dinos Constantinou 1 year ago

Hi Mike

I tried the firmware updates and no luck but took your advice and have used the transmitter in manual mode whilst flash in TTL and it works. Its a shame that the power settings do not appear on the flash but its workable. Thanks again for your help.

24. Thomas Geist 1 year ago

I didn’t really know where to post this, since it affects several different devices. Maybe some links to this can be set.
    And hopefully it will make its way to Godox as well.

After several events with use of mixed Godox devices I have a report of not very good news. But at least I seem to have it nailed down, what exactly are the issues.

Items used (FP in brackets means that it’s actually Adorama’s Flashpoint version):
    Nikon D750 / D810
    Godox TT685N on-camera master or Godox X1N-T

Slaves:
    Godox TT685N
    Godox V850 (FP) + XT16S (FP)
    Godox V860N (FP) + XT16S (FP)

All tests were manual flash in groups A-C.

Godox V850 slave with TT685N master:
    If the V850 is on group A and group A is being turned off and then back on, the flash will stay OFF. It will only come on if the power setting is changed.
    All other groups work fine.
    X1N-T as master – no problem

Godox V860N slave with TT685N or X1N-T as master:
    The V860 will pop, no matter what groups are selected on the master
    AND
    it will not turn off even if its own group is set to off.
    Only if ALL groups are off, the V860 will be off as well.

The TT685N as a slave does not have any of these issues.
    It turns off and back on on group A.
    It pops only for the group it’s set on.
    It turns off even if other groups are on.

• Motti Bembaron 1 year ago

@thomas
      Hi Thomas,

Thank you for that information. I am about to purchase the V860II as my radio trigger (and on camera flash) and I ordered four XT16S for my V850 (I have two) and my V860 (I have one).

I am now working with the old system and it works fine but with the limitations of lack of group control and of course, having to create a cumbersome cable connection so I can have on camera flash and the trigger.

Very bad.

With the V860 on the camera I am hoping to be able to have better grouping control and have just a flash on the camera to do all that.

Thank you for the info, I really hope the V860II does a better job. We shall see…

25. Felipe 1 year ago

I’m having trouble getting the Yongnuo trigger to work on top of the R2. I have a couple speedlights with receivers that I’d like to keep using alongside the R2 and XPLOR 600. Any ideas what I could be doing wrong? Thanks in advance.

Hi Felipe,

You can’t use 2 TTL triggers stacked on top of each other because the camera can only communicate with one TTL master device at a time.

You should be able to use the YN-622N-TX on top of the X1T-N, as a remote manual only transmitter though.

So you would need to set the YN-622N-TX to single firing pin mode, or possibly even cover the TTL contacts on the X1T-N hotshoe to ensure there is no TTL communication between the 2 transmitters.

• Felipe 1 year ago

Thanks for the tip. I don’t normally use TTL so I’d be okay with losing the feature. Do you know how to set the YN-622N-TX to single firing pin mode? I looked in the manual but didn’t see it. Thanks so much!

Flash Havoc 1 year ago

How did I know you were going to ask that 🙂

Unfortunately I don’t think the YN-662N-TX actually has a single firing pin mode you can switch on. Its custom function 4 on the Canon transmitter, though it doesn’t look like the YN-622N-TX has any custom functions.

Its still mentioned on page 12 of the YN-622N-TX manual as “basic flash (singe contact) trigger”, but unlike the Canon version where its called “Legacy basic flash (singe contact) triggering” there is no way to enable any mode on the Nikon transmitter.

So you would either need to cover the TTL contact with paper etc, or use a PC sync cord between the transmitters (and cover all the contacts if you still want to mount on transmitter on top of the other).

26. Martin 1 year ago

How to know wich version i have?
    • 2015TTL Wireless Trigger for Nikon Camera X1N Firmware Upgrade(TransmitterX1N-T V15)

• 2015TTL Wireless Trigger for Nikon Camera X1N Firmware Upgrade(RecieverX1N-R V15)

Hi Martin,

The first one is for the transmitter unit (which goes on the camera).

The second one is for the receiver unit.

The receiver unit does not have any contact pins on the foot, only a threaded mounting hole.

27. jerry 1 year ago

I have the FT-16 wireless transmitter and usb reciver for my AD180 Godox
    I have a Nikon D7000

If i use the new 2.4Ghz ITTL transmiter on my Nikon can i tirgger the AD 180 with the FT USB reciver or dod i need the 2.4 Ghz receiver.

To be clear this newer transmitter allows me to meter thru the lens but i would still make the adjustments via the receiver not the cameras menu system>?

clear as mud?

Hi Jerry,

Firstly, your AD180 is a manual flash only. Regardless of which transmitter of receiver you use, you can’t add TTL to your AD180 flash.

So if you’re only using the AD180 flash, the only thing you would gain using the X1T-N or XT32 transmitters is the ability to do HSS (without needing a second Cells II transmitter as well as the FT-16).

Or I guess if you may prefer the interface of the X1T-N or XT32 transmitters over the FT-16.

To use the AD180 with a 2.4GHz transmitter like the X1T-N or XT32 you would need to use a 2.4GHz XTR-16 receiver.

Or alternatively you could mount your old FT-16 transmitter on top of the X1T-N transmitter on the camera. (Which wouldn’t really be much point over the first option above, unless you have a lot of FT-16 triggers already).

28. John 1 year ago

Just received my X1 triggers in the mail. I bought these to replace my yn-622n set because I love the AD360 and wanted to minimize the number of triggers I was using. I’ve been playing around with them today and have noticed a couple of things that surprise me, and hopefully I can gain some insight.

I planned on taking advantage of the X1 ttl pass through and using a SB-910 on top of the X1 on top of a D750. This is causing some issues.
    1) wobbly. The whole system tips back and forth. I may be able to solve this via some super glue. there is also a lot of rotation left and right.
    2) underexposure in bounce mode. When bounced this this done very badly. seems to be about 2 stops underexposed when bounced. This may simply be a function of it being used in a “conservative” group mode.
    3) AF assist beam does not activate on the SB-910. This is the most troubling to me as I specifically wanted to utilize the AF beam on the SB-910 vs the lasers on either the tt685 or the X1. I’m guessing this isn’t an option right now. I assumed it would work because this works great on my yn-622ns. Is this a possible firmware update?

I also received my tt685n today as well, and for the most part realize that I may not even need the SB-910s anymore. Except that they have the slow flash rate, and the laser beams.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Hi John,

Since the X1T transmitters have been available most people have paid very little attention to how a flash mounted on top functions.

Firstly because as you mention mounting is very insecure and flimsy (until the X1T locking pins were fixed, the whole lot could simply slide of the camera hotshoe). And secondly because as you mention the TT685 (or V860II) with radio master built in are going to be a much more practical / reliable option than using a pass through hotshoe transmitter anyway.

So what underexposure issues etc there may be, are not very well documented (and could even be changing constantly with the numerous firmware updates as well).

I just tried an SB-700 on top of the X1T-N transmitter though, and it is very flimsy. And the flash is not even recognizing the transmitter at all (flash says switch to manual mode), so I can’t see if the flashes AF assist light should be coming on. (Did you try turning the X1T-N’s AF light off (switch on the side of the transmitter)).

The AF assist light is something Godox should be able to update with firmware though if needed.

Unless possibly using an off cameras TTL shoe cord to a flash mounted above the camera on a flash bracket, I can’t see using the X1T-N pass through hotshoe as a practical option for long. Godox should refine the flash mounted on top functions over time though regardless.

• Igor 1 year ago

I’ve bought the godox X1T-N for use with SB910 and sb700 on top , (the godox TT685 and V860II not attended the expectatives with yours tight heads, and AF-beam problems). The SB910 is too loose on the XT-N, overbalanced and is not secure for me (i use two cameras) in the other way, the Sb700 is perfect, but not function in the TTL NORMAL mode, only in the M mode. The solution I found was to put the SB 700 in MASTER mode and so the TTL returned to work with GODOX X1T-N. Still can use with the NIKON CLS sytem ;p lol

While GODOX does not do a perfect flash for use on the camera, I’m using two SB700 on top of my XT1-N.

A few more things I noticed: The NISSIN Di866 II not fixing in the transmitter or receiver and hangs from time to time. The youngnuo YN685 makes the X1R-N not turn on (clearly a boycott of the brand :0 )

Thanks Igor!

I did try the master mode before, but still got the “switch to manual message” on the flash.

I see now the trick is you need to switch on the flash in master mode first, then switch on the X1T-N transmitter. The transmitter then has the “M” Master group displayed as well.

I’m not getting any AF assist light from the speedlight though, just from the X1T-N. Can you get the SB-700 AF assist light to work?

I haven’t tried the YN685 on an X1R-N receiver. Though I tried the YN586EX for another person the other day, and it did appear to work in remote manual and TTL, though HSS was only working occasionally.

Godox are making lots of firmware updates though, so this compatibility could be constantly changing. I think Godox have enough to worry about keeping all their own components compatible, without trying to worry about YongNuo gear anymore.

Its probably not intentional, as the Godox flashes generally still work with the YN-622 triggers. Its likely just not in Godox’s interest to spend time and money testing and resolving issues with YongNuo gear anymore.

29. robert 1 year ago

Can a X1-N receivers trigger a Alien Bee with the proper wire attached to Alien Bee from the X1-N receivers ?

Hi Robert,

Yes, the PC sync cord should be supplied with the X1R-N receiver (or X1-N transmitter and receiver set).

There is no remote power control of the AB’s through the X1T-N transmitter though. You would need to use a Cyber Commander separately (in hand etc) for that.

30. Motti Bembaron 1 year ago

@igor
    Thank you for that information. I also have V860 (first generation) and the AF is pretty bad, nothing compares to the Nikon SB-910. I am about to purchase the V860II and use it as a trigger and on camera flash and I am now worried that the AF will not do the proper job.

A colleague of mine has the X1-N, I put the SB-910 on it and I would never trust it. It feels like it’s going to fall any minute.

The only other way would be to connect the X1-N to the SB-910 via PC cable.
    However, two issues arise:
    1. Does the X1-N has a PC connection? The earlier trigger does not have it.
    2. The X1-N is HUGE and will be very bulky put on the flash (with Velcro). The only other way is to use a bracket to put the X1-N on

Godox did an excellent job with their flashes. The battery life is awesome and the quality of light is pretty good compared to Nikon flashes, it’s very close.

They also did a very good job with the TTL. It’s underexposed a bit but nothing too bad that cannot be fixed.

Also a good job was done on the receivers, they are thin and small and allow the hot shoe to be free.

However, their AF system makes the V860 not suitable as a main flash.

31. mehmet 1 year ago

I’m using godox x1n + nikon d810 + nikon sb910. When i try to change flash power using the buttons on transmitter unit, i cannot see the changes on SB910’s lcd screen. (Both the transmitter and receiver are on the same group and channel) SB910 always shows M 1/1 (or what i choose on flash unit) and i cannot change flash power. But when flash unit is on TTL mode and transmitter is on M mode i can change flash power. Please help me. Do i have to leave flash unit always on ttl or ttl/fp mode.

32. Jonas Ericsson 1 year ago

Anyone know what’s new in firmware v16 for the X1T-N transmitter?

33. Martin 1 year ago

I wish Godox made it more easy to update firmware (maybee same as Pocket wizard)
    Last time i tried to update firmware it did not work. A big company like Godox should make it much better!

34. Dinos Constantinou 1 year ago

I work in ICT and have tested firmware upgrades on four different windows PCs and amazed at the issues I have had trying to perform a firmware upgrade. It’s so hit and miss. Please Godox try better to make an uipdate software that just works. Aldo you must improve your customer feedback program.

35. Benjamin Kanarek 1 year ago

Hello,

How can I do a firmware update on my X1T-N and X1R-N using my Mac computers. I use the X1T-N in conjunction with my Godox AD600B-TTL unit.

Ben

36. Benjamin Kanarek 1 year ago

PS…I also noticed that the X1T-N and R’s did not come with the micro usb cable so I just ordered a couple, as they are needed to transfer the firmware update from my computer to the unit. It is a micro usb call??? I hope so…

37. Ulysses 1 year ago

Benjamin, since you are on a Mac, you will need do one of the following:

1) buy an inexpensive PC or else find a friend who will let you borrow his PC for the firmware update process.

2) install virtualization software on your Mac (such as VMware Fusion or Parallels), and then install Microsoft Windows. This will essentially give you Windows on your Mac.

You will need to buy your own Micro USB cable to connect the transmitter/receiver/flash to your computer.

38. Jonas Ericsson 1 year ago

New firmware for X1-N Trigger
    V18 1. The status of modeling lamp will not be sent when pressing the Test button. 2016-06-28
    V17 1. To solve the problem of missing flashes when using high-speed sync function on D700.
    2. To solve the not-flash problem in second curtain sync functions when the shutter speed is slower than 1s. 2016-06-20

• Jonas Ericsson 1 year ago

And now there is a new software for firmware upgrade.
      The new software are for Win XP, 7, 8.1 and 10.
      “Instruction Manual for Godox Firmware Update Software G1
      Preparing for updates
      1. The firmware update software G1 can be run in operating systems Windows 10 (64bit), Windows 8.1(64bit), Windows 7 (32bit or 64bit) or Windows XP (32bit or 64bit).”

Tried it and it’s way better than the old method. Way to go Godox!

• Ulysses 1 year ago

I installed the G1 software a couple days ago but haven’t had chance to actually try it out yet. I’m reserving my excitement over it for now. It’s been difficult for Mac users like myself, so I’m hoping this software resolves some of that, at least through Windows virtualization.

39. Glyn 1 year ago

Hey Ulysses, are you using Fusion? I’m running Windows 10 in a virtual environment and had no issues installing the firmware on my transmitter or flashes.

• Ulysses 1 year ago

Glyn, I’m using VMware Fusion 8 on a Mac mini for a Windows 10 (32-bit) installation. The G1 software does seem to run a bit smoother than the old method on a Mac. In fact, I updated ALL of my gear this morning — X1 transmitters, V860X speedlights, and CL-360X bare-bulb. I haven’t fired anything just yet, but all seems well.

BTW because the update erases your previous firmware before installing the new, you’ll lose your customizations in the C.Fn menus. So you’ll want to go through those again and set things again the way you want.

40. Jonas Ericsson 1 year ago

Read here for more info about Windows on a Mac.

41. Adrian 1 year ago

Ive just bought the X1T-N and the XTR16 for use on my older AD360, as I wanted to be able to change the power and also use HSS, its work after a fashion, power is fine changing from the X1T but when I put the AD360 into HSS it firs fine from the X1T but im unable to change the power from the trigger which makes it completely pointless, anyone seen this

Hi Adrian,

This was an issue as you describe with the first batch of XTR-16/s receivers which had them all recalled from sale until they were updated.

It sounds like have one of those though, so it will likely need to be exchanged.

Make sure your firmware is also up to date on the transmitter first though.

42. Tony 1 year ago

I’m wondering if someone can help. I’ve been using a nikon d750 with X1T on top of camera which has been working perfectly but all of the sudden I’m shooting and I notice when I press the shutter button to take a picture it delays to take the picture as if it’s on a 2sec timer. When I take the transmitter off the camera the camera works perfectly, it’s only when I put the X1T on the camera that it gives me a delay before the picture is taken. I’ve tried 2 different transmitters and it’s the same issue.

43. Ali Ghanty 1 year ago

I got a question: does the X1t-N trigger manual receivers like the Godox FC16? or any other non godox manual trigger. The reason that i’m asking that is i have some nikon and yongnou flashes which i want to trigger along godox tt685n

Hi Ali,

You can use an X1R-N receiver to simply fire other flash units. Just connect them via a PC sync cord if they don’t have a hotshoe style foot.

The X1T-N transmitter will fire and control the 2.4GHz XTR-16, and XTR-16s receiver units, though they are specifically designed to attach to the corresponding Godox flashes only.

• Ali Ghanty 1 year ago

Thank you for your response. Actually i was looking for cheaper alternatives than the X1R-N. Even if it does not have High speed sync or TTL. That is why i was asking if the X1T-N would trigger the FC16 manual trigger.
        If it doesn’t work then i’ll have to invest in several X1R-Ns.

Godox FC16

44. yungyaw 1 year ago

I just bought the X1N + TT685N. I plan to use TT685N as off camera flash and use SB-900 on top of X1T-N via TTL Passthrough. I noticed that X1T-N automatically set the SB-900 mode to TTL-BL. There is no way for me to change it back to standard TTL. I am not used to TTL-BL.

I compared the exposures in TTL-BL mode between SB-900 directly on camera (config 1) vs SB-900 on X1T-N on camera (config 2). The flash is pointed to the ceiling in both configurations. Photos from config 2 are more underexposed. I need to dial in +2EV or +3EV to ‘M’ group to get proper exposure.

I even tried using TT685N on camera as master. ‘M’ was set to TTL. It shows similarly underexposed images. Dialling in +2EV or +3EV to ‘M’ group to get proper exposure.

Have I set anything wrongly or is there anything I can do to get proper TTL pass through?

This might have been asked before but I still couldn’t find any solution. I hope someone can help. Thanks!

Hi Yungyaw,

Hopefully someone may have more experience with this for you. Though in general its not very stable to mount a large flash on top of the X1 transmitter, so the pass through hotshoes are not getting used by most people.

• yungyaw 1 year ago

Yeah, I can still wiggle the SB-900 a bit when mounted on X1. I’ve mounted SB-900 on Cactus V6 before. The contact is not perfect but at least usable. I really need the TTL pass through feature. That’s why I bought Cactus V6 and Godox X1.

Hope Godox will have firmware update to allow users to select standard TTL mode.

45. Aleem 1 year ago

Hello I bought the Flashpoint XPLOR 600 from Adroma. When I upgrade the strobe using the X1R-N – V16 – 2016/6/7 – X1 Receiver for Nikon via the Godox Firmware Upgrade Software ( Godox G1) my strobe does not turn on when I reconnect the battery. Can you help please.

Hi Aleem,

That’s the wrong firmware!

You need number 17 or 18 here (depending on whether you have a TTL or Manual strobe) – http://www.godox.com/EN/Download.html

Hopefully you should be able to just reload the correct firmware onto the strobe.

• Aleem 1 year ago

17 and 18 does not show up as a firmware file (.fri) they show up as an (.man) file. How do I use those updates.

• Ulysses 1 year ago

Aleem, save the file to the folder of your choice on your computer. Then rename the .MAN extension to .RAR. From there, you unpack it with your decompression software. (7-zip or J-zip are both free). Inside the archive you will find your .FRI firmware file.

• Ulysses 1 year ago

Besides being the wrong firmware number, that firmware listed by Aleem is also for the wrong device. He is describing what seems to be firmware for the Godox X1R receiver. 🙁

Aleem, go to the page listed by Flash Havoc at http://www.godox.com/EN/Download.html

If you have the TTL version of this EXPLOR 600 strobe, then download the firmware for the AD600…… V2.2…… 2016/4/13

• Aleem 1 year ago

I have the Flashpoint XPLOR 600. When I try to download it the file it shows up as, Godox_AD600_V2.2.man
          The file name is not recognized by the Godox G1 update software.

• Aleem 1 year ago

46. Jonas Ericsson 1 year ago

Hi Aleem. Read this:
    NOTE – Firmware files downloaded using the Internet Explorer browser are for some reason changed to a .man file extension, instead of the regular .rar file type.

If your system can not extract compressed .man files, then you can simply rename the files to .rar.

Free 7-Zip software can extract .rar and .man compressed files if needed – http://www.7-zip.org

Found here:

47. Markus 1 year ago

Are there any simple receivers/triggers I can use with the X1T-N to trigger studio strobes? I know I can use the X1R’s, but I was wondering if there are other, compatible, receivers available? My Google-foo failed me when I had a look.

Hi Markus,

No, not at this stage.

A number of people have been asking for something like this though, so its likely Godox would make a simple receiver option eventually.

48. Aleem 1 year ago

Can the Phottix Odin II TTL Transmitter and the Phottix Odin II TTL Wireless Flash Trigger be used to operate the Flashpoint XPLOR 600? Thanks Much.

Hi Aleem,

I assume you meant using the Odin II transmitter and receiver?

If so, not really because the XPLOR does not have a hotshoe to connect the Odin II receiver to.

You could connect the receiver via PC syc cord, though that would only fire the flash, not provide any remote control.

Its possible the Odin II transmitter and receiver would work with the Godox AD360II though, as they still have a TTL hotshoe to connect the receiver to. I don’t have the Odin II to test, though I could try with the original Odins, if the AD360II are of interest to you.

49. Walid 1 year ago

Can this trigger yongnu same time as Godox, if so how

Hi Walid,

Not without using a Godox X1R receiver attached to the YongNuo flash, or possibly a YongNuo transmitter stacked on top of the Godox transmitter.

You will need to be more specific though on which gear you’re wanting to use together.

UPDATE –

Firmware V19 is available for the X1T-N transmitter –

1. To solve the problem that the high-speed continuous shooting speed becomes slow in high-speed sync mode.