GODOX – XT16 – 2.4GHz Transmitter & Receivers Released

Godox XT16

Godox have released 2.4GHz versions of their previous (433MHz) FT-16 radio trigger set, in the new XT16 transmitter, and clip on XTR16, and XTR16s receivers.

The remote manual XT16 transmitters and receivers are basically the same on the outside as the previous FT-16 units, only the internals have been updated to Godox’s new 2.4GHz X radio system.

Most significantly though, the new XTR16 and XTR16s receivers now bridge the gap between the popular remote manual flash units like the AD360 bare bulb flashes, and V850 speedlites, and Godox’s latest X series TTL trigger system (and radio enabled master flash units).

Godox XT16

X series transmitter units like the X1-C and X1-N will now fire and control remote manual power levels of AD360 and V850 flash units (with corresponding XTR16 and XTR16s clipped to the side of the flashes).

Radio enabled master flash units like the Godox TT685C / TT685N should also provide similar control when used as the transmitter unit on camera.

Godox XT16

Godox have provided samples of the XTR16 and XTR16s receivers, and via the X1-C transmitter I am able to control the remote manual power levels of AD360 and V850 strobes, while also using the new AD600B in TTL mode (or remote manual mode) at the same time.

And all providing HSS if desired. (HSS mode must be switched on manually on the AD360 and V850 etc).

All 5 groups (A / B / C / D / E) of the X1-C and X1-N transmitter units work, and correspond with the groups set on the XTR16 and XTR16s receiver group dials.

Groups can also be turned on and off individually from the X1-C transmitter.

(Please note though – mixing TTL and Remote Manual groups, and turning groups on and off individually, requires 2012 onward camera bodies when using the X1-C transmitter for Canon).

Godox XT16

The XTR16 receivers are also compatible with Godox’s large range of AC mains powered studio lights like the QT600, GT, GS, DE, etc.

Though with the AC powered studio lights remote manual power control is not likely to be possible through the X1-C and X1-N transmitter units (due to the different power scale used). A separate XT16 transmitter could be used as a hand held remote for power control though.

Godox XT16

The Godox XTR16 and XTR16s receivers are available now from around $20 –

XTR-16 Receiver – Amazon, UKEbay

XTR-16s Receiver – Amazon, UKEbay

XT-16 Transmitter – Amazon, UKEbay

The X1-C / X1-N and XT16 series radio transmitter and receiver units will also be available from Adorama under the Flashpoint R2 series branding.

Godox – Website

1. nixland 2 years ago

So, what happened if I use pre 2012 camera like 5DII? All group always on? All group always ttl? Or X1 will not work at all?

With pre 2012 cameras all groups are either set to TTL or Manual.

Godox have just followed Canon’s existing systems. To get the extra functionality the X1-C have the option of a GR Group mode, which follows the functionality available with the Canon RT radio system (though not directly compatible with it). So like the Canon system, 2012 onward cameras are needed to enable the Group mode.

• nixland 2 years ago

But YNE3RT works well with my 5DII, that is it can mix ttl and manual, and can set on-off groups individually.
        So can we say that X1 can not do what YN can do?

YongNuo’s engineer is very good at this and he was able to introduce additional features to the Canon RT system. He added second curtain sync in manual mode as well. The X1-C can not do that either. (Though the AD600 has added a manual delay option as a type of workaround).

So no, the X1 can not do the extra features the YN-E3-RT have.

The biggest issue so far though is the master flash units for Canon like the TT685C and AD360 II do not have the Group mode to start with. So using those as a transmitter / master you’re back to the old Canon RF, 3 groups, no mixing TTL and Manual, or turning groups off easily as needed. That’s really the main issue that needs resolving most with the Godox system at this stage.

• Ulysses 2 years ago

Elv, I only recently caught up on what Canon’s Group Mode actually does — it allows you to set different modes for each of five different groups. You can then use Flash Exposure Compensation to fine-tune the power of an ETTL flash or dial in the power directly for the Manual groups. I now understand why the TT685C and the AD360 II for Canon not having this mode can be a real problem for some.

But is this at all an issue for Nikon photographers? We should be able to mix modes (iTTL or Manual) without any problem. Correct?

Hi Ulysses,

No this is not an issue for Nikon owners, you are very fortunate in this regard (for once).

The Nikon Optic Wireless system natively provides a GR Group style mode where groups can be set to TTL, Manual or Off, and mixed together.

So most of the radio system converting the Nikon Optic Wireless System to radio provide the same functionality.

So the X1-N transmitter, TT685N, AD360II-N should all provide that functionality, and no major restrictions with camera model as Canon have.

• dazednconfused 2 years ago

does anyone use the YN-E3-RT with Godox Witstro AD 360 or AD 360II, if so what functionality do you get?

2. andy 2 years ago

Will the new XT16 and XTR16 be able to control hss on the AD360?

Or will you have to purchase the X1 and the XTR16 to do this?

Hi Andy,

No the XT16 transmitters are a universal single firing pin unit like the FT-16, so they have no HSS capability.

So yes you would need to purchase the corresponding X1 transmitter, and XTR16 receiver.

You will still need to turn the HSS mode on and off manually on the flash itself as needed though.

• Ulysses 2 years ago

Elv, you mentioned in the article: “Please note though – mixing TTL and Remote Manual groups, and turning groups on and off individually, requires 2012 onward camera bodies when using the X1-C transmitter for Canon.”

While you have all see units available to you, will you be able to tell if the same will be the case for the X1-N transmitter for Nikon? Or is his a no-issue for photographers with older Nikon cameras?

Ulysses,

I think I know the answer: No problems with Nikon versions. The Nikon system has always been flexible there and as stated above, Godox have just adopted Canon’s own way of doing things which restricted pre-2012 cameras.

• Ulysses 2 years ago

Thanks for that feedback, Thomas! I think I understand now. I didn’t realize Canon’s interface had changed so drastically since their pre-2012 bodies. It’s been a long while since I’ve dug into the guts of their flash system.

And pardon the multiple typos. I was using an iPad, making me prone to errors and spellcheck accidents. 🙂

• Ulysses 2 years ago

Elv, with so many pieces in play, I know there have already been dozens of permutations of this question, but thank you for your patience as I’m about to to ask another variant, just for my own clarity. I’m pretty sure I follow what you’re saying in the excellent article 🙂

Let’s say I already have a V850 flash.
        I then add a TT685N flash as my on-camera radio master (with both TTL and HSS capability).
        If I want to use my V850 at high shutter speeds, is it enough to attach an XTR16S? (I would get HSS but no TTL?)

Furthermore, if I wanted to enable both TTL and HSS for the V850, I would need to mount it onto an X1R-N rather than attach the simpler XTR16S.

Is all of the above correct? Or did I miss something?

The first part of your question is correct, the V850 with XTR16s attached would provide HSS but no TTL.

For the second part, there is no way to add TTL to a remote manual flash like the V850 or original AD360 unfortunately.

With the remote manual flashes (V850 / AD360 etc) you’re better off using the XTR16s / XTR16 receivers because they will allow remote manual power control. Using an X1-N receiver will not allow remote manual power control (manual HSS should work though).

If using the current V860, then an X1-N receiver would generally be the best option, as that provides TTL and Remote Manual, as well as automated HSS. The H-mode HSS can provide more light if that was a priority, so that may be one reason to use an XTR16s receiver with the V860 at times instead. In general the X1-N receiver would be the preference.

There will be V860 II with built in radio like the TT685N and AD360 II coming eventually.

• spinningplates 2 years ago

Hi Elv, I just want to clarify something. In addition to HSS will you also have full remote manual control from the master tt685 on camera? I would like to remotely manual control my v850’s from my on camera TT685 in master which is in TTL. And the same can be said if using a X1-C were used instead of the tt685 correct?

Hi spinningplates,

The master on-camera TT685C in TTL may actually be an issue at this point. Because the TT685C do not currently have a GR Group master mode option which allows the mixing of TTL and remote manual groups. This should be fine with the Nikon version TT658N.

The X1-C provides the Group mode (provided you’re using 2012 onward camera bodies) so you can fire and control the V850 with remote manual control, and run TTL flashes in TTL mode in other groups.

Hopefully Godox can still add the Group mode to the TT685C, though nothing has been confirmed on that as yet.

3. Xavier Trilla 2 years ago

Do you think 850 hss would work with Sony cameras (A7 series)? Because that would be really great!

Xavier

Hi Xavier,

Godox are working on Sony compatibility. That is scheduled for possibly around March. Though you never know with these things, it could well take them longer to engineer completely.

At this stage you would need to use the Phottix Odin transmitter and receiver for Sony to fire the V850, or other flashes like the AD360 enabled with a manual HSS mode. Or possibly some secondhand Pixel Kings for Sony.

• Xavier Trilla 2 years ago

Yes I know, I have the ft-16 and I know HSS doesn’t work with them, but reading the article I understood xt-16 should allow HSS on A7 series, are you sure it won’t work?

Thanks!

• Rob 2 years ago

xavier,

I believe that I can answer your question. I have the Cheetahstand version of the 850 and you can get HSS with the A7II with a compatible tx/rx system like the Odin for Sony with this method. I tried this last month but you must be aware that the lines or banding was simply horrible in the finished photo. Not any use for real time, plus you will have to locate a good 2.5 and 3.5 male cable to get it operating. The Cheetahlight 360 is a different ball game and you get HSS without and banding with the Odin tx/rx and I have heard that the hard to find Pixel King for Sony is another cheaper option for achieving HSS. You’ll have to order them straight from China or eBay and grab the mis hotshoe adapter as they are also extremely hard to find,,,,,,

• Xavier Trilla 2 years ago

Hi Bob,

Thanks for your reply.

Actually for the kind of photography I do it’s not something urgent for me as I can just use ND filters, but with HSS I could get rid of the ND filters, which would make things easier and increase IQ, that’s why I was really excited with these new triggers (I find phottix Odin quite expensive, and seeing your comments I’m glad I did not invest in them 😉

Reading the article it seems HSS should work with Sony cameras and the XT-16 without another trigger like the Odin, but I’m not sure :/

Anyway, let’s see if GODOX releases triggers for Sony.

Maybe I’ll buy one of these when they become available to test if HSS is working.

Thanks!

4. mmmfotografie 2 years ago

@Andy, that a no on both.

@Nixland, I think all on.

5. Peter A 2 years ago

Two out of three reviews of the AD360ii-N on Amazon said the unit had problems. One just said it failed, the other said they needed to return the battery twice. It sounds like Godox, or their distributors, need to really lock into the new updated battery. The X1 and XT16 models are worthless if the flashes battery doesn’t power the flash.

I got one of the early AD360ii-Ns from Amazon and I’m worried. I’ll be looking for the battery replacement thread here on Flashhavoc. But it probably would be a good idea to have links to it from all Godox products till the issue is truly sorted out.

• mmmfotografie 2 years ago

What were the dates of the review because Amazon also put old reviews that are of the AD360 underneath the new products.

The problems with the batteries have been resolved a long time ago.

Pete, I have not heard of any battery issues for a long time now. I very much doubt any AD360 II units are affected by the battery issues we saw over a year ago now.

For people located in the USA though, Adorama offer a pretty safe option. The extra cover offered for breakages etc can make a lot of sense as well.

• Markdoxie 2 years ago

I can vouch for the reliability of the AD360s.
      I have a number and all have been rock solid.
      On my recommendation a friend bought 10 units for his school photography business. He has been ecstatic about their performance and added three more after his first season.

I did get a bum battery when I received my first unit but it was promptly replaced and have had nothing but excellent service. I would buy more in a heartbeat.

6. Adrian 2 years ago

Godox actually informed me about this release today as I asked them about whether the V850s will be made compatible with the X1s.

They also said a V860-ii will be released in ~2 months with an inbuilt wireless like the TT flashes.

7. ipadmania 2 years ago

I am confused with this products

I sell ft-16 already for AD-180, because I am planning to get new AD-360II with built in receiver

So, with this new products,
    Using X1-C as transmitter on camera,
    I can firing AD-360II and AD-180 connected to XTR-16s ? What does the “s” means, I am confused

Hi ipadmania,

The “s” version are just for the speedlites like the V850 and V860. They have a different connection to the flash than the standard USB plug the XTR16 use.

For the AD180 you need the XTR16 receiver (not XTR16s).

Yes you can fire and control the AD360 II (without any external receiver required) and the AD180 with XTR16 receiver attached, via the X1-C transmitter. The AD180 will have remote manual power control, and HSS, though no TTL.

8. Thomas Geist 2 years ago

This is great news since the SB-5000 still leaves a bad taste in my mouth (I am shooting Nikon D750/D810 and most likely won’t be able to use its radio – for now at least).

I am still hoping that Godox will improve the TT685N’s TTL performance. For now this is still the system I would want to use – TT685N on camera controlling everything else.

• Ulysses 2 years ago

This latest news about the new XT-16 and XT-16S is what I’ve been waiting for. My thoughts are in the same direction. I can fully tolerate using the TT685N in full manual mode even if there are some niggling issues with its TTL performance. Finding an effective, reliable, and durable radio master has been a primary concern for a long time now.

9. Markdoxie 2 years ago

Is the range better? different at 2.4 Ghz? The current units are very reliable one quite a range and I would not wish to go backwards.

Hi Markdoxie,

I actually don’t have the XT16 transmitter, so I can’t check the range on that with the XTR16 / XTR16s receivers at the moment. Though I really doubt that set up would have issue with reduced range over the FT-16 versions.

Using the X1-C on the other hand I’ll need to test in more detail. The general case with TTL triggers is the range is often around half that of full manual triggers unfortunately. So unless Godox have made a special effort with the X1, I wouldn’t be surprised if the range is less than the all manual FT-16 / XT16 combination, at least when using TTL with the X1. Maybe the remote manual side will still do better though.

10. Adam 2 years ago

Can you use the V860 in TTL mode with the new receiver and X1-C?

Hi Adam,

No you would need an X1-C receiver attached to the foot of the V860 to provide remote TTL functions. The XTR16s would only provide remote manual (like the FTR-16s do).

I forgot to mention in the post I was also able to include my Canon 600EX-RT flash in the mix with X1-C receiver attached, using TTL, Remote Manual, and HSS etc. The V860 with X1-C receiver should provide the same functions.

12. Jacques Cornell 2 years ago

Will I get TTL pass-through to a Panasonic TTL flash in the hotshoe on top of an X1-C mounted on my Panasonic Micro Four Thirds cameras? I’d like to have TTL on-camera and manual control of my V850s and AD360 off-camera.

13. Dan 2 years ago

This is great news! Using a single X1 remote to fire and control manual flash as well as HSS is good enough for me!

14. mike 2 years ago

the FTR 16 has 16 channels but the X1 has 32 and then we have 16 groups against 3 or 4 – is there any info on how these map?

Mike

Hi Mike,

I think its simply where they are available on both units they match up, where they aren’t they don’t. 🙂

There is guide in the XT16 manual on how to set dip switches to match regular channel numbers. Group letters just match corresponding group letters.

15. Andy 2 years ago

I wish Godox had put an AF assist in the X1 like the YongNuo YN-622C.

Focusing without a modelling light in poor lighting is always an issue for me. I know the YongNuo YN-622C only helps with centre focus but that better than no focus at all.

It means I still have to carry the YongNuo YN-622C in my bag and double up with my godox transmitters.

Andy,

But they did. At least in the Nikon version and I suspect the Canon version has it too.

• Ulysses 2 years ago

Thomas, have you been able to tell whether or not the AF assist beam lines up properly with where the camera is being aimed? — I’m asking for both the X1N and the TT685N,

With some of the earlier generations of V850, for example, the AF assist beam was aimed too high or too low due to either quality control issues or some other factor.

• Thomas Geist 2 years ago

Will verify when I’m back Wednesday.

16. Andy 2 years ago

When will the new units go on sale?

17. andy 2 years ago

Oh really. I didn’t realise the Godox X1 transmitters had AF assist. That’s great news.

• andy 2 years ago

What’s been the feedback on the AF assist? Is it any good or only works with centre spot focus like the YN-622?

18. Thomas Geist 2 years ago

I used it only once so far (and I’m currently traveling until Wednesday) but from what I recall its pretty similar to the Yongnuo diagonal grid and works with the central bunch of AF points. Not the outer ones like the Nikon SB-900/910 does.

19. andy 2 years ago

Thanks for the feedback Thomas.

20. Kenneth 2 years ago

Great news, but a bit tired I just bought the FT-16 trigger and the old receiver + the cells ii-C for my AD360.

Can’t find out If I Should sell it, and by the new x-1 and XTR16

• mmmfotografie 2 years ago

I assume the X1 + XTR16 is better and the X1 is a replacement for the Cells.

21. Chris G. 2 years ago

So I’ve got an older FT-16 trigger and receiver to run my Flashpoint 360 with my Nikon D800, plus I was about to purchase the new Godox VingV860N set which uses the older FT-16 receiver. I’m hoping this will give me a usable interim system, and when Godox makes available the new 2.4gz XT-16, XTR-16, and XTR-16s, I will be able to simply purchase these new 2.4gz units and swap out the old 433gz controllers.

Does this make sense? They don’t have to be Nikon specific, right? Can we assume Godox will sell these controllers by themselves, not exclusively in combo with their flashes?

• mmmfotografie 2 years ago

All right.

22. Randy 2 years ago

Will the XT16 do HSS by itself? That’s all I really need. I’m currently stacking the FT16 on top of a Yongnuo YN622n on top of the hot shoe. cumbersome set up!

• mmmfotografie 2 years ago

It won’t and it the same design as the FT16 but transmit on a different frequency.

You will have get a X1 if you want pre-sync.

• Aung 2 years ago

Hi dude, my big trouble is new X1 can shoot more than 1/200 with 5d mark 3?
        I have QT 1200 and GT 400. Can X1 solve HSS problem in 5d mark3? Please let me clear it.

Hi Aung,

Did you mean the camera will not allow shutter speeds over 1/200th, or that if you use higher shutter speeds you can not see any light in the image?

With IGBT flashes like the QT1200 you will likely need to set the flash to full power where the duration is longest to see light in the frame at higher shutter speeds.

• Aung 2 years ago

Thanks a lot for your feedback. Camera allow shutter speed over 1/200th, and can see light in image. but Half light with black, not clear. I heard that problem is, bec of 5D mark 3. I have all Godox Cell II and also FT-16. I wanna to shoot a Model’s slow moving posing. shoot to Model’s freeze posing. So around 1/400th is enough for me. I wanna to shoot at outdoor bright sunlight with 1/800th by 5D m3, Godox QT 1200, this latest X1C. Can I get a nice result with X1C? Another one is How to delay spped syn setting in X1C. Nobody explained how to use X1C with 5D mark 3 and QT series Studio Strobes Flash. Can you mention or give web links? I think Godox must Focus on 5D mark3 users with QT series. Bec QT are expensive series. Thanks. I have these trouble with 1 and half years.

Ok firstly are you setting the QT-1200 to full power?

How well this works all depends on the flash duration, and the sync timing. Though you need a strobe with long enough flash duration to start with, and that may only be at full power with the QT-1200, because those are IGBT flashes designed to have short flash durations at lower power levels.

The pre-sync timing delay could possibly help, though there is no guarantee of that, you would need to try them.

The timing adjustment is found under custom function 00.

– Hold the Channel button for 2 seconds to access the custom function menu.
              – Scroll the wheel to access function 00
              – Press the Group button to adjust function 00
              – Scroll the wheel to set a delay between 1 and 100.
              – Press the Group button to lock in the setting
              – Press the Channel button to return to the main screen

Now you should see the small timing icon on the screen, showing a delay setting has been made.

• Aung 2 years ago

Big thanks to u, I will be test it again

23. Peter A 2 years ago

In case anyone is interested, the Amazon distributor of the AD360ii-Ns contacted Godox and discovered they were, in fact, shipping some of the old flawed design batteries. Both reviewers got notes from the distributor apologizing, saying they will make things right. They have returned all old stock for updated batteries! Should be all good going forward! 🙂

24. mmmfotografie 2 years ago

I have only three batteries which are all the old type. They are still going strong and I have modified the case so no harm can be done any more. I returned about four baterries that were damaged during assembly and lost their health very very fast in two three charges.

25. Niels Gram 2 years ago

How can AD360ii’s be shipped with the old flawed batteries ? The batteries were fixed long before the AD360ii’s were even announced. Was this an Amazon seller that tried to make a little extra by getting rid of old flawed batteries ?

26. Peter A 2 years ago

Niels Gram — An the Amazon seller, but most likely a Far East distributor trying to dump some old product. The Amazon seller, Emgreat, saw the reviews and said — “NO!! Not on my watch! ” 🙂

27. alberto 2 years ago

This is why I am waiting on Adorama. There hasn’t been a photo gear item i have gotten from Amazon I didn’t have to return.

28. DaveD69 2 years ago

Any news on the X1 hss with a 6D?

Hi Dave,

The X1 works fine with the 6D and HSS as far as I can see.

29. Aung 2 years ago

Any news on the X1 hss with a 5D mark3 ?

30. mmmfotografie 2 years ago

For the ones that are asking if the X1 is compatible with specific cameras can better ask that in this item.

31. Dan 2 years ago

I just ordered an XTR16 for the AD360 from eBay. It should be here in about a week or so. I didn’t realize they also had an XTR16s for the V850 or I would have bought one of those as well. I’ll wait for the one I ordered to get here then maybe order an XTRs?

32. Sandalsfootacious 2 years ago

These are out! I just ordered them from eBay and they are roughly AU$30ea.

• Thomas Geist 2 years ago

The receivers I guess. Anybody seen the transmitter for sale yet?

• Sandalsfootacious 2 years ago

Yes receivers only. I just bought it to be compatible with the X1n triggers. Im hoping the x1 transmitter has a decent AF beam.

• Thomas Geist 2 years ago

The AF beam is ok. It’s similar to Yongnuo’s cross hatch. By fat not as effective as Nikon’s which even works with the outer AF points. But for the center points it works.

Unfortunately also more obnoxious than Nikon’s.

33. andy 2 years ago

I wouldn’t bother with the XT16 transmitter. The X1-N is only £29.99 on amazon and allows HSS on the AD360 with the XTR16 receiver.

The XT16 as far as I’m aware does not do HSS.

• Glyn 2 years ago

Hi, I’m trying to find triggers that will operate the AD360 and possibly the 860 in HSS mode. Also want the functionality of setting the power remotely. Is this scenario possible at this time?

• Ulysses 2 years ago

Your AD360 should already have come with a trigger to operate it remotely. But for help with using them in HSS mode, the article below may help (also found on this site):

Hi Glyn,

The XTR-16 receivers are just becoming available now on Ebay and Amazon.

You need the X1-N transmitter, and X1-N receiver for the V860N. And the XTR-16 receiver for the AD360.

That provides HSS and remote manual power control with both flashes. The V860 then have TTL available as well.

34. Ulysses 2 years ago

There are good reasons to buy an XT16 transmitter for certain applications. For example, it will be very useful for someone who is using a non-Canikon camera. There are reports that the X1-C and X1-N transmitters either don’t work properly in single-pin mode, or at least they’re not operating as expected. This may be a firmware issue, or it may be by design.

Users of mirrorless cameras — Olympus, Sony, Fuji, Panasonic for example — may want to use these lights, but need an easy method to make remote manual power adjustments. We can currently do this with the old lights via the old FT16 transmitter. So it’s nice to have the same sort of options for use with the newer lights.

35. andrew 2 years ago

Hello again ,

this is really great news ,
    i actually own 2 godox wistro 360 and 1 ving 850 with cells II and FT16 with their receivers .
    I want to buy the x1 transmitter and the new receivers , will HSS work down to 1/128 on the wistro 360 even set manually on the flash ?
    another great feature is the AF light that i will need , work this well ?
    is this a good deal ?
    Have you hear about the godox TT600 ? what’s the diference between the tt600 and the t685 ??
    thanksss

Hi Andrew,

No you can’t go down to 1/128th with the AD360 in HSS mode. You need to set HSS mode on the flash itself, so then it limits the power levels available to 1/8th minimum in HSS mode.

The AF light is much the same as in the V850 and V860 etc. They’re a laser style pattern similar to the YongNuo units.

The TT600 appear to be a manual version of the TT685, though the descriptions are not very clear as to what exactly they can do. I’ll see if I can get the user manual, though I suspect that may not provide all the answers either.

• andrew 2 years ago

Thanks for the answer.
        If you can check ? the af works only when focusing or stays on the whole time when is turned on

Decided. will sell the cells II and ft16 with their receivers to get the x1 , xt16
        Regards

The AF light only comes on when focusing, just like a speedlites AF light.

There is also a switch on the side of he transmitter to turn the AF light off quickly, if you don’t want it to come on at all.

36. andrew 2 years ago

i just ordered 1 X1T-C and XTR16, XTR16s , i will have both ft16 and cells II and AF light in one . thanks for this
    i will use them with AD360 and ving 850 and soon hopefully an TT600 or T685 .
    awesome post and web that you have

37. Andy 2 years ago

Groups question:

There were 16 group settings on the ft16 (0-9 and A-F). Am I right in thinking there are only 5 groups on the X1-N/C A,B,C,D,E?

To quote from your original article (All 5 groups (A / B / C / D / E) of the X1-C and X1-N transmitter units work, and correspond with the groups set on the XTR16 and XTR16s receiver group dials.)

I only seem to have A,B,C on mine.

Channel question:

On the old ft16 you could only fire one of the four channels at a time. Can you fire more than one channels at a time on the X1-N/C?

Many thanks,

Andy

38. Ulysses 2 years ago

Andy, are you using a Canon camera? And if so, which model? If I’m understanding correctly, this may be the reason you’re seeing only the three groups.

As to firing multiple channels, I doubt any radios fire multiple channels at once. If they did, you would run the risk of someone else using one of those same channels firing your lights. Hence the logic of putting your lights all on the same channel, but separating your lights into different groups. (Or do you have a specialized scenario in mind?)

39. andy 2 years ago

I am using the X1-N with Nikon D810 and it only seems to have A,B,C groups.

Yes, I didn’t expect it to run multiple channels.

In regards to my usage I often use 4 heads on location and want to control each head separately.

In the original article it mentions A,B,C,D,E groups so I thought i might have missed a setting.

I don’t understand why then went from 16 to 3 groups.

If anyone can shed any light on this I would be grateful

Andy.

• Thomas Geist 2 years ago

Andy, are you on the latest firmware (V1.1)? My X1N-T and -R show 5 groups of which the first 3 (A, B, C) can be switched to TTL and M and the other two (D and E) only to M.

I too use a D810.

Andy I’d say this must be a firmware issue, because as Thomas mentions I have 5 groups, and the transmitter is on firmware version V08. The change-log on the download page only goes back to V08 and doesn’t mention the addition of the extra groups. Though I’m assuming you must have earlier firmware than V08.

Ulysses, the groups are there already just scrolling around accesses them.

I’ve heard from other people (not Godox directly) that they are working on adding the 5 groups to the AD360 II and TT685 as well now.

Andy the reason Godox have likely reduced the groups is because the Canon and Nikon protocols they are following only allow for 3 and 5 groups. As Thomas mentions its only 3 groups available in TTL for the Nikon system. Godox have followed the Canon RT system if you can access the GR group mode which now allows 5 groups in TTL or manual. This is just based on the original protocols, and now Godox are trying to link it all together across a number of systems.

40. Ulysses 2 years ago

Thomas, I’m glad you saw this and weighed in on it — I was just about to do a search to re-read about those five groups. But can elaborate a bit more on how exactly you’re accessing them? Can you simply scroll downward to the D and E group on the X1-N, or is there some special mode required to make them visible.

I thought I remembered correctly about those two only being available as Manual mode groups. At least I’m retaining one or two things properly in my brain. 🙂

41. Thomas Geist 2 years ago

Ulysses, yes, just scrolling down. The X1 actually scroll through, so after E comes A again.

No special settings. For clarification, here are the seven custom functions available in the X1N-T:

C.Fn-00: Synchronization Delay Setting
    C.Fn-01: Single Contact Mode
    C.Fn-02: Zoom Setting
    C.Fn-03: PC Sync Socket Mode (camera / flash)
    C.Fn-04: Multi Flash
    C.Fn-05: Manual Power 1/250 enable
    C.Fn-06: AF Assist

42. Markdoxie 2 years ago

Thomas,
    Would I be correct tin assuming that the Synchronization Delay Setting is to enable Hypersonic capabilities?

Hi Markdoxie,

The AD600 user manual has a small mention of the delay feature as a manually set Second Curtain Sync method.

Using the X1-C as transmitter though automated Second Curtain Sync is now available through the custom function menu (from firmware V09 onward).

I haven’t tested yet if the delay setting may be if any use with long duration sync / Hypersync etc.

43. andy 2 years ago

OK. I gather it must be a firmware issue. Any tips on how you update the firmware.

The Godox site link was all in Chinese but I’ve downloaded Godox_X1N_R_V11

It looks like the latest firmware.

How do I upload the firmware on the unit?

44. andy 2 years ago

Please don’t tell me I need a PC to update the firmware!

45. Thomas Geist 2 years ago

Andy, here are the current firmware versions (Nikon stuff):
    TT685N: V2.7
    X1N T: V1.1
    X1N R: V1.1
    V860N: V2.2

Each firmware download includes an .exe file that will install a firmware updater on your system as well as Java 7 (if needed).
    The updater is strictly for Windows. If you only run Mac, you will also find several people here (me included) who managed to update with a Mac (Windows installation needed!).

46. andy 2 years ago

OK cool. I can download a trial of parallels.

Thanks for the help.

• Thomas Geist 2 years ago

Yes, someone here is using Parallels. I use vmware and Windows 7 or Windows 10. If you run into problems with installing the drivers (Windows 10) or a Java .dll not found (any Windows version), you can find instructions here on Flash Havoc.

I got it working eventually.

• Ulysses 2 years ago

Godox has been saying for a long time now that they were considering a Mac installer. Quite a pain for Mac users to have to install Windows on top of virtualization software for what should be a quick update.

Its currently not a straight forward process even for PC users if you don’t have an older Windows 7 machine.

I mentioned these issues to Flashpoint yesterday as well, and they will likely be pushing to have these updated as well.

Andy – the discussion on updating the firmware with a Mac is in the X1-C post comments, and starts around here.

Even with a PC you are meant to use Windows 7 or older (which are well outdated now), and if you want to use later Windows versions you will need to also follow the instructions here (kindly posted by Shlomi Cohen).

• andy 2 years ago

Well there’s 3 hours of my life I’ll never get back.

To use on a mac you have to download parallels. The windows software download is such a mess with parallels. The firmware still won’t work.

Does Godox really think photographers are using windows 7 on a PC….

I’ve been to China many times and all the creative people I’ve met use macs.

As a company they produce great products but their website and support is dreadful and out dated.

I’ll have to see if I can find an elderly neighbour with an ancient PC.

Andy, I hear you!

It does work with Windows 10 to. There are instructions somewhere on this site. Basically you need to disable the rejection of unsigned drivers.

This and getting the Java issues straight and I was able to do the updates on Windows 10 (running on VMware).

I linked to the instructions and Mac discussion directly above Andy’s post.

• Andy 2 years ago

I used parallels successfully in the end. I downloaded the correct java, on windows 7

I got a nice little picture if a good flash gun.

I ran the program and then an error message

“can’t load jvm.dll”

Everyone seems to have this issue. Is this a crappy PC issue or a crappy firmware issue?

I’m so glad I don’t use a PC. What a convoluted machine.

Godox have really got to sort themselves out. There is too much competition out there to be offering crappy firmware upgrades with zero english support.

Put some pressure on them please Flash Havoc team.

I just hope the current firmware works with the new usb units……but I won’t hold my breath.

Godox have said there are some licensing type issues with Microsoft and others delaying new firmware upgrading software until around April.

They are going to try and put together some type of generic updating software (without Godox branding etc) in the mean time though as they realize this is pretty urgent.

47. Gary 2 years ago

I have a question:
    When I use the X1T-N transmitter with XTR-16(S) on a AD360/V850, how do I link the groups?
    The X1T-N only has groups A,B,C,D,E.
    And the XTR-16 has group 1-9, A-F

So is X1T-N Group A => XTR-16 group A? And the same for group B to E?

I am currently using the FR series transmitter and receivers, where the groups on both sides are 100% matching.

Hi Gary,

Yes its simply X1T-N Group A => XTR-16 group A.

And the same for group B to E as you mentioned.

• Gary 2 years ago

Thanks for the answer.

• Andy 2 years ago

Can I ask where you purchased your unit?

I have a X1-N transmitter and only have 3 groups on the unit A,B,C. I can’t upgrade as the firmware doesn’t work.

I’ll try to buy a unit with the latest firmware already installed.

Many thanks,

Andy

I bought mine on eBay. Seller suea0009

• andy 2 years ago

Hi Thomas,

Do you know what firmware version it cam with?

Many thanks,

Andy

• Thomas Geist 2 years ago

Andy, good question. I think 0.6 or 0.8.

• andy 2 years ago

If you switch it on and hold down the mode key it should show something like U- 06

Is yours U-08 ?

Andy, mine are updated. They show U-11

• andy 2 years ago

Did you update them yourself or did they arrive updated?

Also do you have the Nikon or Canon version?

• Thomas Geist 2 years ago

I have the Nikon version. They came with firmware V0.6 or V0.8. I updated them myself.

• andy 2 years ago

Hi Thomas,

Sorry to pester you.

Did you use windows 7 or windows 10? Which java did you use?

Many thanks.

Andy

• Thomas Geist 2 years ago

Andy, no worries! I have found help here and I’m happy to pass it on!

I used both, Windows 7 and 10.
                      First I used Windows 7 on a Boot Camp partition on my MacBook Pro. But since I needed the disk space back, I later deleted the BC partition.

Next I used Windows 10 in a VMware virtual machine on my Mac Pro. I could not use a Boot Camp partition on this computer since Windows would always crash – most likely due to the graphics card in that machine.

For Windows 10 on VMware I had to employ both tricks listed here on Flash Havoc, one to make the drivers install (driver verification needs to be turned off); the other to get Java running: the JAVA_HOME variable has to be set.

I used the Java 7 version that comes with the Godox updater.

In the end I am happy that I got it running under VMware, because with this I can mess around as much as I want to and I can easily make copies or snapshots of any Windows installation.

48. andrew 2 years ago

another question
    I wanna mix 1 AD360 + Ving 850 + T685/t600 to shot in HSS , I know that i will to set manually on the ad360 and ving , but do i have to do this on the t685/t600 too ?, or i have full control with the X1-T over these 2 last flashes mentioned .

Hi Andrew,

The TT685 will go into HSS mode automatically if you are using the X1-C or X1-N as transmitter (or a TTL master flash like the TT685 as master).

I’m not sure about the TT600 yet though. They can be set to HSS manually like the V850 etc, though I’m not sure if they will engage HSS automatically when using the X1 transmitters etc.

I’ll order a TT600 to test, though it will likely take a couple of weeks to arrive.

• andrew 2 years ago

i just ordered one , i will do a video unboxing and a demo aboout it

thanks

Ok thanks Andrew.

• Naftoli 2 years ago

tx andrew!
          I eagerly await your video!

49. Andy 2 years ago

Apologies…Another boring firmware question.

I cleared all the firmware downloads and started a fresh.

This time it seemed to say firmware update was successful.

However when I look at the firmware by switching on the unit and holding down the mode key it reads (U – 06) Does this relate to the firmware?

The A,B,C group still remains and I still don’t have the D,E.

Am I missing something here?

I have no idea why this s so complicated in the year 2016.

Andy yes that is the firmware version number, and for some reason your firmware has still not updated. That’s V06 showing still.