The RT 601 provide direct compatibility with Canon’s own 2.4GHz RT radio system, as well as Orlit’s own 2.4GHz RF radio system for Canon and Nikon. all in the one strobe.
The RT 601 are also fully compatible with Orlit’s quickly expanding RT flash system, which includes speedlites, portable strobes, and AC powered studio strobes.
Apart from the omission of TTL, other small downgrades from the RT 610 include –
- Approximately 500Ws power (down from 600Ws)
- 10 watt LED modelling light (down from 20 watt)
- Smaller LCD screen
- Slightly simplified back panel
- No flash tube protecting glass cover
The Orlit RT 601’s 14.8V 6000mAh Lithium-ion battery provides around 450 full power pops per charge, with 2.3 second full power recycle time.
Manual power control is from full power down to 1/256th, and adjustable in full or 0.1 stop increments.
The full color LCD interface displays the power levels as 0.1 – 0.9. And simply pressing the main dial allow fast full stop adjustments.
Up to 6 Groups are provided, A / B / C / D / E / F. Though this will depend on the transmitter units used.
The interface also provides a fast and simple menu system.
ORLIT ROVELIGHT RT 601 FEATURES
- Fan Cooled (Auto)
- 10W LED Modelling Light (3200K), Manual & Proportional
- Bowens S-type Accessory Mount
- Built in (removable) 14.8V / 6000mAh Lithium-ion Battery
- Over 450 Full Power Pops Per Battery Charge
- 0.01 – 2.3 Seconds Recycle Time
- Flash Modes – Manual
- HSS to 1/8000th (Down to 1/32 Power)
- Second Curtain Sync
- Manual Flash – 1/256 – 1/1 Output (1/10th Increments, 9 Stop Range)
- Flash Duration Freeze Mode (t0.5) – 1/800s – 1/19000s
- Flash Duration Normal Mode (t0.5) – 1/800s – 1/8000s
- Canon RT compatible 2.4GHz Radio Receiver Built-in
- Range – Depending On Transmitter
- Groups – A / B / C / D / E / F
- 16 Channels
- Orlit / Jinbei 2.4GHz Radio Receiver Built-in
- Canon, Nikon, & Sony Radio Slave Modes
- Range – 300m + with TR-611 / TR-612 as Transmitter
- Groups – A / B / C / D / E / F
- 16 Channels
- Supports Legacy TRS-V / TR-A6 Trigger System (No Group Control)
- Supports Legacy TRS Trigger System (Limited function)
- Optic Slave Mode
- Large Color Dot Matrix LCD Display
- Custom Functions
- Auto Memory Function
- Sound Prompt
- Battery Level Indicator
- Auto Power Off (After 60 Minutes)
- Mini USB Port for Firmware Upgrades
- 3.5mm Sync Port
- Dimensions – 355 x 117 x195mm
- Weight – 2.4kg (3.0kg With Battery)
The Orlit RT 601 provide an S-type accessory mount, and a fan cooled 10 watt LED modeling lamp, with warm 3200K color temperature to help match halogen bulbs.
The Modeling light provides manual control in fine 0.1 increments across a 9 stop range, or proportional control adjusting automatically to match the strobes manual power level.
Remote control from the Orlit transmitter unit is limited to turning the modelling light ON and OFF (via individual group though, and using Manual or Proportional modes).
The Orlit RT 601’s 14.8V 6000mAh Lithium-ion battery provides around 450 full power pops per charge.
And now includes a built in charge level indicator.
And an AC power adapter for mains power use will also be available.
Compatible transmitter units for the Orlit RT 610 when used in RT radio mode include all of Canon’s own RT enabled master units, like the 600EX-RT II flash, and ST-E3-RT transmitter.
Though Orlit also offer their own transceivers for Canon and Nikon, in the TR-611C, and TR-612N.
The Canon version TR-611C providing both Canon RT, and Orlit / Jinbei 2.4GHz RF Canon radio modes.
The Nikon version TR-612N providing Orlit / Jinbei 2.4GHz RF Nikon radio mode.
The Orlit TR-611C, and TR-612N both provide 3 flash groups A / B / C. Remote zoom control for speedlites is also available by group.
The hotshoe on top of the units when used as transmitter mounted on the camera provide full TTL pass through for a flash mounted on top.
Radio range is specified as up to an impressive 300 meters.
(Note – Remote Modelling light control is only available in the RF modes, not RT Mode).
The Orlit TR-611C, and TR-612N transceivers can also act as receiver units.
And these can also be used to simply fire other strobes in combination with the Orlit lights, or even fire and control compatible TTL speedlites.
For current owners of the original FlashPoint Rovelight the Orlit RT 601 do provide a legacy TRS radio transmission mode compatible with the RoveLight TRS transmitter.
Though selecting the TRS mode does not then allow any group control ability (basically reducing the Orlit RT 601’s functionality to that of the original RoveLights)
So the legacy TRS mode is quite limited, and its likely original RoveLight owners will find more useful work arounds which do not lose group control with the Orlit RT 601.
(These would mainly involve firing the original RoveLights via an external receiver unit, attached to the flash via PC sync cord. And using the original TRS transmitter just to control the original RoveLights power levels.)
The Orlit Rovelight RT 601 are supplied with a nice semi-hard padded case, and shoulder strap.
And include a compact 5.5″ reflector, battery charger, and a long coiled PC sync cord.
ORLIT ROVELIGHT RT 601 SPECS
- Orlit RT 601
- Product Type
- Studio 500ws HSS Lithium Battery Monolight
- Guide number
- ?GN @ ft ISO 100
- Maximum power
- Wireless receiver
- Built-in Orlit 2.4GHz
- Channel / Group
- CH: 00-15 / GR: A/B/C/D/E/F
- Flash power variation
- M: 1.0 9.0 / HSS: 4.0-9.0
- Recycling time
- 2.3s at full power
- Flash mode
- Sync modes
- Normal / HSS / Freeze
- Flash duration (t0.5)
- NOR: 1/800s-1/8000s / FREEZE: 1/800s-1/19000s
- Color temperature
- NOR: 5500 K 150 K / FREEZE: 5500 K 800 K
- Modeling lamp
- 10W LED, Proportion / Independent mode
- Power source
- Lithium battery / DC14.8V 6000mAh
- Battery capacity
- Up to 450 times at full power
- Battery life
- 300 charge cycle (to 80% capacity)
- Auto power off
- After 60 minutes / Sleep activated after 10 minutes
- Voltage stabilization
- Infra-red sensor
- Built-in infra-red sensor
- Sync socket
- Sync voltage
- Thermal Protection method
- Auto shutoff temperature sensor circuit
- Operating room temperature
- 32 -104 F / 0 – 40 C
- USB firmware update support
- 5.0 lb /2.3Kg (without battery)
- 14.0 x 4.6 x 7.7 in / 355 x 117 x 195mm)
The Rovelight RT 601 are part of a quickly expanding Orlit radio flash system.
Along with the compatible Orlit speedlites, and Rover RT battery strobes, Adorama intend to have compatible 600Ws and 800Ws AC powered TTL and HSS enabled studio lights available by mid year (2017).
All working directly with the Canon RT radio system, or Orlit’s own 2.4GHz RF radio system for Canon and Nikon.
There is also a transmitter, and Apple / Android smart phone apps coming (around mid year), to control the whole system in the studio.
PRICE AND AVAILABILITY
The ORLIT RoveLight RT 601 HSS strobes are available for pre-order now from Adorama for $449.95.
As well as the Orlit RT-600C Speedlite for Canon.
Orlit – Website