PHOTTIX MITROS – Firmware Upgrades – Improved Recycle and Faster Settings etc

Phottix have released firmware updates for the Mitros flash units in both Canon and Nikon versions.

A re-optimized overheat protection function, and increased number of flashes before the overheating protection function engages, effectively increases the recycle speeds of the flash for more shots before the protection function cuts in (for both Canon and Nikon versions).

The Canon version also gets faster manual power level changes. As you can now hold down an arrow button to continuously increase or decrease flash power, rather than pressing the button many times for every 1/3rd stop of adjustment.

Flash output brightness levels have also been fine tuned in both the Canon and Nikon versions. Plus other improvements as noted below.

Note – this firmware update is for the original Mitros flashes only, not the Mitos+ (with Odin transceiver built-in).

Phottix Mitros

For v3.20 for the Phottix Mitros TTL Flash for Nikon:

1. Re-optimizes the overheating protection function of the flash and increases the number of flashes before the overheating protection function engages.

2. Fine-tunes flash brightness/output levels.

The v1.02B5 firmware for the Phottix Mitros TTL Flash for Canon add the following:

1. Added function: Faster adjustments. Pressing and holding the arrow adjustment buttons will continuously make plus or minus adjustments – no need to press the button again and again. Single button presses will adjust levels by 1/3rd stop increments. Note: functions not available when adjusting zoom settings.

2. Re-optimizes the overheating protection function of the flash and increases the number of flashes before the overheating protection function engages.

3. Improves the situation in that a Mitros, as the slave unit, may be out of sync when working with Canon G1X and 600EX as the master unit.

4. Modifies settings that may have caused the flash to default to using full-frame camera settings when Factory Default Settings are restored.

5. Improves the situation in that Multi Mode function will not work when using a Canon 10D.

6. Modifies the setting that the number of flashes in Multi mode will change when adjusting the manual output level.

7. Improved the overexposure problem when using with Canon EOS M and Odin.

8. Optimization of flash power levels.

Firmware download links for both Windows and Mac are available from the Phottix Journal here.

UPDATE:

There have been some difficulties encountered by Mac users trying to upgrade their Mitros flashes. For this Phottix offers a deep apology.

The Mac Upgrade Application V1.64 works with only newer hardware versions of the Mitros.

Mitros for Canon— 1.04 or later version
Mitros for Nikon—- 1.03 or later version

If the hardware version of Mitros flashes is lower than above versions, the Mitros can only be upgraded on a PC using Windows OS or a Mac with Windows Bootcamp Partition. Mac users, again, an apology.

To check the hardware version of your Mitros Flash.

1. Press and hold the HSS/SCS button and turn on the flash.
  2. This will open the “versions” screen. If the hardware version on the flash is lower than what is listed above the Mac upgrade software cannot be used.

Mitros Flash Versions Screen

Mitros Flash Versions Screen

Again, apologies for the confusion.

Firmware download links for both Windows and Mac are available from the Phottix Journal here.

Mitros Flash Details

Mitros+ Flash Details

Mitros – AmazonUKEbayB&H PhotoAdoramaPhottix

Mitros+ – AmazonUKEbayB&H Photo,  AdoramaPhottix

1. Darryl Jones 4 years ago

Looks like they do have the Mitros + for Nikon at $450. I don’t see it sold anywhere else? Is it brand new? Price is a little steep as well.

Thanks Darryl, I’ve put a Nikon Mitros+ release post up here.

They should be around $399 at B&H and Adorama and Amazon etc.

2. Gareth 4 years ago

It’s pretty impressive they could do that with a firware upgrade. I wish more devices had this ability.

3. Alberto cab 4 years ago

Has anyone been having trouble with the Mac update? AlI have been getting is a “No FDS Device” message.

Hi Alberto,

Yes it seems there is an issue with the Mac version upgrade. Others have used Windows on Mac successfully to update for the moment.

• alberto 4 years ago

Thank you for confirming that. I was going nuts thinking I was doing something wrong or if I some how damage my flash. I don;t have windows, so I guess I will wait till Phottix fixes it.

Ok Phottix have added an update (please see the updated post above).

The issue appears to be the Mac Upgrade Application V1.64 works with only newer hardware versions of the Mitros.

• Alberto 4 years ago

So far, it does not work with the newer hardware either. At least not with mine. Someone in Phottix is working with me to fix the problem thou.

4. Nick 4 years ago

I had the same problem with the Mac version. I had to boot up an old netbook in Windows XP to do the update, and this worked fine.

5. Aaron 4 years ago

This is only for mitros not mitros+ right?

Hi Aaron,

Yes only for the Mitros at this stage.

Hopefully an update for the Mitros+ will also come soon though. Thanks.

6. Zihni Özgür Balıkoğlu 3 years ago

I’m using mitros+ and getting the same problem both in windows and mac and I’m using the appropriate files for each platform. I’m getting “no fds device”. Additionally I noticed that when I plugin flash to the computer, the pc recognize a removable storage device called FDT11TA V01 with a size of just 7KB. Is it normal?

7. HUGO 2 weeks ago

The support of MItros flashes are very bad. In the phottix website the latest firmware for the Canon version available is the v1.02B7. But searching in the internet I´ve found the 1.03 version:

The support for Canon users are also very bad. I´ve found the way to install this firmawares using the root acount in my MAC. With the regular user it´s imposible.

Why kind of support is giving us Phottix?.

I only have one Phottix flash and I´m avoid purchasing 2 more becouse of this awful support….