And if you’re quick there are significant savings available via the Kickstarter campaign (closes the 3rd August 2016).
The Priolite Ultra are not only Priolite’s most compact cordless strobe, their HotSync mode (allowing high cameras shutter speeds to 1/8000th) will now work at any power level set on the strobe. From full 500Ws, down to minimum 17Ws.
With a body length of just 8 inches (20.5 cm), the Priolite MBX500HS Ultra are Priolite’s smallest cordless strobe so far. Considerably smaller even than their current 300Ws strobe.
Overall weight has not yet been specified (until actual production units are ready), though its said to be less than the previous 500Ws units 8.2lbs (3.7kg).
The Ultra feature a metal body, mount, and hardware, and are designed and manufactured in Germany.
A 2.4GHz radio receiver is built inside, as well as a removable Lithium-ion battery capable of 220 full power pops.
PRIOLITE ULTRA MAJOR FEATURES
- 1/8000 high speed flash synch at any power level (from 17Ws up to 500Ws)
- Built-in 2.4 GHz wireless receiver compatible with Canon, Nikon, Sony and Pentax cameras (trigger and adjust up to 4 groups of lights)
- Universal modifier mount takes Priolite, Hensel, and Bowens-s mount without an adapter, & Elinchrom or Profoto with an adapter
- Fine output control with 1/10th stop intervals
- Recycling time of 2.5 sec at full power
- LED modeling light (equivalent to 80W halogen)
- Portable for travel at 8 inches in length and 5.6 inches wide
- 220 full-power flashes per charge, and over 6000 at the lowest power setting
- 5,500 Kelvin color temperature
- 8 inches in length and 5.6 inches wide, the Priolite Ultra is portabile for travel
- Metal frame, metal hardware, metal mount, Li-Ion powered
The Priolite Ultra are voltage controlled flashes (not IGBT) and therefore provide an auto dump feature when reducing power levels.
And Priolite’s HotSync mode uses the long flash durations of the voltage controlled flash to allow camera shutter speeds up to 1/8000th with any power level on the flash.
Priolite also claim their HotSync system is more automated and advanced than most other systems using the Long Duration Sync method. In that there is bi-directional communication between the strobes and the camera, providing the best timing at any particular shutter speed and strobe power level.
All of which in practical terms should simply mean a frame with no shutter showing in the image, and more even light across the frame, at high camera shutter speeds. (Though at this stage Priolite do not offer any examples to demonstrate these claimed advantages).
Another unique feature of the Priolite Ultra is a universal modifier mount takes Priolite, Hensel, and Bowens S-type mount without any adapter.
And also Elinchrom or Profoto modifiers with an optional adapter.
PRIOLITE ULTRA SPECIFICATIONS
LED, equivalent to 80 W halogen
2.5 sec at full power
Flash Sync Speed:
1/8000 second with Priolite Remote Control RC-HS at any power setting
in 1/10 f-stops, from full power all the way down to 17 Ws
Flashes per battery charge:
220 flashes at full power, over 6000 at the lowest power setting
Battery charging time:
2 h to 80 %, 3 h to full charge
16 V, 50 Wh, 1.3 lbs., Li-ion battery with protection, no memory effect, UN3481 certified
1 MBX500HS ULTRA (flash tube, glass dome, protection cap, built-in remote control module)
1 Li-Ion battery
1 UL/CSA/CE approved charger
1 user manual
1 sync cable
2 year worldwide warranty
Materials: composite for rear cover and handle,
aluminum and steel for body, frame, mount, and hardware
8 inches long, 5.7 inches diameter
PRICE AND AVAILABILITY
The Priolite MBX500HS Ultra are priced at $1399, though they are available for a limited time from $799 on the Kickstart Campaign.
Shipping is from September 2016.
Priolite – Sony HSS
Priolite – Pentax HSS
Priolite – USA Website
Priloite – Europe Website