Profoto have announced the B10 250 AirTTL compact cordless TTL and HSS enable flash and continuous light.
Now featuring a variable color LED light, and built-in Bluetooth connectivity, providing remote control via smart device and the new Profoto APP.
As well as an AC battery charger which can now be charging while the light is in use.
The compact 250Ws B10 provides the light output of a number of speedlites combined, with a full power recycle time of 2 seconds, and up to 400 full power shots per battery charge.
As something of a first, the B10’s 2500 Lumen LED light is color temperature adjustable, from 3000K to 6500K. Providing up to 75 minutes of full power run time per battery charge.
What was once a modelling light, is now a “continuous light”, which will speak to many wedding photographers transitioning to the era of full frame mirrorless cameras, and What You See Is What You Get, still and video lighting.
On the flash side, the B10 features TTL, HSS, and a 10 stop manual power range, from 1/1 to 1/512. Adjustable in 0.1 stop increments.
As well as a Freeze mode providing short flash durations down to 1/14,000s t.1 (1/50,000s t.5).
6 flash Groups are provided: A / B / C / D / E / F.
And TTL and HSS enabled Profoto Air Remote radio transmitter units are now available for Canon, Nikon, Sony, Fuji, and Olympus, cameras systems.
Profoto A1 speedlites also provide a transmitter function for wedding and event photographers requiring a flash mounted on the camera.
At just 17.5cm long, and weighing 1.5kg, including battery and swivel mount, the B10 are a fraction of the size and weight of the their big brother B1X 500 AirTTL.
And much more like the light we had originally expected to see from Profoto nearly 5 years ago, when they first teased the coming “Off Camera Flash” concept. Which turned out to be the somewhat hefty original B1.
For many situations the B10’s size and weight will provide a much more manageable alternative. And the lights compact metal swivel mount also doubles as a built-in handle, which is also quickly removable for even lighter monopod / Gorrillapod mounting etc.
Most importantly the B10 are directly compatible with all of Profoto’s 120 full size light shaping tools, as well as the lightweight dedicated OCF (Off Camera Flash) modifiers.
PROFOTO B10 250 AirTTL FEATURES
- F-stop @ 2m / 100 ISO – F11.9 (F22.7 with OCF Magnum Reflector)
- Fan Cooled ? (not stated)
- LED Light – Adjustable Bi-Color (150W Halogen Equivalent)
- LED Color – 3000K to 6500K (+-500K), CRI: 90 – 96
- LED Control – Off, Proportional, Manual (10-100%)
- Profoto Accessory Mount
- Built in (removable) 14.4V / 3000mAh (43.2Wh) Lithium-ion Battery
- Up to 400 Full Power Flashes Per Battery Charge
- 0.05 – 2 Seconds Recycle Time
- 0.2 Stop Energy Stability
- Flash Modes – TTL / M / Multi
- HSS to 1/8000th (full power range)
- Second Curtain Sync
- FEC / FEB
- FEL (Flash Exposure Lock)
- Hybrid TTL (Meter Quickly in TTL, Then Adjust in Manual Mode)
- Manual Flash – 1/512 – 1/1 Output (0.1 Stop Increments)
- Profoto 2.4GHz Radio System
- Canon, Nikon, Sony, Fuji, Olympus, Radio Slave Modes
- Range – 300m Manual, 100m TTL
- Groups – A / B / C / D / E / F
- 8 Channels
- Optic Slave Mode
- Flash Duration Normal Mode (t0.1) – 1/4,900s – 1/400s (250Ws)
- Flash Duration Normal Mode (t0.5) – 1/7,000s – 1/13,000s (250Ws)
- Flash Duration Freeze Mode (t0.1) – 1/14,000s – 1/400s (250Ws)
- Flash Duration Freeze Mode (t0.5) – 1/50,000s – 1/1,300s (250Ws)
- Large OLED LCD Display
- Custom Functions
- Auto Memory Function
- USB-C Port for Firmware Upgrades
- Size – L 17.5cm x W 11cm (6.9” x 4.3”)
- Weight – 1.5 kg (3.3 lbs) Including Battery & Mount
Once again the B10 feature a recessed flash tube, providing a built-in reflector with protective glass cover.
The built in reflector making for easy use with optional Profoto OCF gels and grids.
OCF Zoom and Magnum reflectors are also available to concentrate the light and increase intensity by 1.2 and 1.8 stops respectively.
New to the OCF range of lights is the B10’s ability to recharge while the light is in use, effectively providing an AC / DC power option for the B10.
And the battery charger is designed to strap neatly to the light stand below the light.
The B10’s battery will recharge fully in 90 minutes, or to 80% in 60 minutes (while not in use). And provides up to 400 full power flashes, or 75 minutes continuous LED light at full power.
Another significant new feature and addition to the Profoto system is the new Profoto APP (Beta), and Bluetooth connectivity built directly into the B10 lights.
The APP provides full control of the Profoto Lights, including color temperature control with the B10’s new adjustable LED light.
Current flash power levels are also displayed live on the APP interface (at the time of writing this, a feature strangely still lacking from Profoto radio transmitters), and flash firmware updates can now be made through the APP and Blutetooth connection.
The APP also allows your smartphone to act as camera while using Profoto lights. Though its not clear if this is actually syncing with flash, or just using the continuous light at this stage.
One unusual omission from the B10 is any from of Sync port? (leave your backup PocketWizards etc at home).
Though there is at least a basic optic slave unit included.
A Type-C USB port is included for firmware updates.
The B10 are available in Single or Duo kits.
With the Duo Kit including a nicely designed backpack (valued at $249 when purchased separately).
Also featuring built-in expansion with roll top, and external straps for mounting compact light stands and tripods etc.
PRICE AND AVAILABILITY
The Profoto B10, and B10 Duo Kits, are available for pre-order now from $1595, and expected to ship near the end of October 2018.
Profoto – Website