At 500Ws the B10 Plus feature the same light output as the original B1X, though in a significantly smaller and lighter package, while conveniently sharing the same compact design format, clean interface, and battery system as the popular 250Ws B10.
With an extra stop of light, the B10 Plus’s full power recycle time is still a respectable 2.5 seconds, compared with the B10’s 2 seconds.
And currently using exactly the same battery as the B10, the B10 Plus is more limited at 200 full power flashes, vs 400 for the B10. Though this helps to keep the unit lightweight and compact, which is often the priority anyway.
Like the B10 the B10 Plus also feature a variable color LED light, and built-in Bluetooth connectivity, providing remote control via smart device and the new Profoto APP.
As well as an AC battery charger which can now be charging while the light is in use.
Again the B10 Plus’s 2500 Lumen LED light is color temperature adjustable, from 3000K to 6500K. Providing up to 75 minutes of full power run time per battery charge.
The B10 Plus feature TTL, HSS, and a 10 stop manual power range, from 1/1 to 1/512. Adjustable in 0.1 stop increments.
As well as a Freeze mode providing short flash durations down to 1/14,000s t.1 (1/35,000s t.5).
6 flash Groups are provided: A / B / C / D / E / F.
And TTL and HSS enabled Profoto Air Remote radio transmitter units are now available for Canon, Nikon, Sony, Fuji, and Olympus, cameras systems.
Profoto A1X speedlites also provide a transmitter function for wedding and event photographers requiring a flash mounted on the camera.
Compared alongside the original B1X, the dramatic progress Profoto have managed in terms of size difference between the two 500Ws flashes can really be seen.
Weight is also a far more manageable 1.9kg, vs 3kg for the B1X.
The B1X still provides faster 1.9 second recycle time (vs 2.5), and larger battery capacity (up to 325 full power shots).
Though the introduction of the B10 Plus now poses questions regarding the future of the B1X format, or where Profoto could possibly be planning to go with the larger light (likely more suited to the studio) into the future.
PROFOTO B10 PLUS FEATURES
- F-stop @ 2m / 100 ISO – F16.7 (F32.7 with OCF Magnum Reflector)
- Fan Cooled – No?
- LED Light – Adjustable Bi-Color (150W Halogen Equivalent)
- LED Color – 3000K to 6500K (+-500K), CRI: 90 – 96
- LED Control – Off, Proportional, Manual (10-100%)
- Profoto Accessory Mount
- Built in (removable) 14.4V / 3000mAh (43.2Wh) Lithium-ion Battery
- Up to 200 Full Power Flashes Per Battery Charge
- 0.05 – 2.5 Seconds Recycle Time
- 0.2 Stop Energy Stability
- Flash Modes – TTL / M / Multi
- HSS to 1/8000th (full power range)
- Second Curtain Sync
- FEC / FEB
- FEL (Flash Exposure Lock)
- Hybrid TTL (Meter Quickly in TTL, Then Adjust in Manual Mode)
- Manual Flash – 1/512 – 1/1 Output (0.1 Stop Increments)
- Profoto 2.4GHz Radio System
- Canon, Nikon, Sony, Fuji, Olympus, Radio Slave Modes
- Range – 300m Manual, 100m TTL
- Groups – A / B / C / D / E / F
- 8 Channels
- BlueTooth / Profoto App Compatibility
- Optic Slave Mode
- Flash Duration Normal Mode (t0.1) – 1/4,100s – 1/390s (500Ws)
- Flash Duration Normal Mode (t0.5) – 1/6,000s – 1/12,00s (500Ws)
- Flash Duration Freeze Mode (t0.1) – 1/14,000s – 1/390s (500Ws)
- Flash Duration Freeze Mode (t0.5) – 1/35,000s – 1/1,200s (500Ws)
- Large OLED LCD Display
- Custom Functions
- Auto Memory Function
- USB-C Port for Firmware Upgrades
- Size – L 23.5cm x W 11cm (9.3” x 4.3”)
- Weight – 1.9 kg (4.2 lbs) Including Battery & Mount
Once again the B10 feature a recessed flash tube, providing a built-in reflector with protective glass cover.
The built in reflector making for easy use with optional Profoto OCF gels and grids.
OCF Zoom and Magnum reflectors are also available to concentrate the light and increase intensity by 1.2 and 1.8 stops respectively.
Like the B10, the B10 Plus’s battery can be recharge while the light is in use, effectively providing an AC power option for the B10.
And the battery charger is designed to strap neatly to the light stand below the light.
The B10’s battery will recharge fully in 90 minutes, or to 80% in 60 minutes (while not in use). And provides up to 400 full power flashes, or 75 minutes continuous LED light at full power.
Another recent and significant feature of the Profoto system is the Profoto APP , and Bluetooth connectivity built directly into the B10 lights.
The APP provides full control of the Profoto Lights, including color temperature control with the B10’s adjustable LED light.
Current flash power levels are also displayed live on the APP interface (a feature unfortunately lacking from Profoto radio transmitters).
One disappointing omission from the B10 / B10 Plus is any from of Sync port. Though there is at least a basic optic slave mode included.
A Type-C USB port is included for firmware updates.
The B10 Plus are once again available in Single or Duo kits. With the Duo Kit including a purpose designed backpack.
PRICE AND AVAILABILITY
The Profoto B10 Plus, and B10 Plus Duo Kits, are available now from $2095 –
Profoto – Website