TRIOPO F1-400 – Cordless TTL Strobe Now Available

TRIOPO F1-400

Chinese lighting manufacturer Triopo have released a more compact 400Ws version for their original cordless TTL strobe in the new F1-400.

Like the F3-500W, the F1-400 are Lithium-ion powered IGBT strobes, with both Canon and Nikon compatible 2.4GHz TTL and HSS enabled radio receiver built inside.

Interestingly Triopo have actually implemented a Profoto style modifier mount this time, which also doubles as a Bowens S-type mount when using an included slide on adapter.

The F1-400’s flash tube is also recessed behind a protective toughened glass cover, again more closely resembling the Profoto B1 strobes.

TRIOPO F1-400

The F1-400’s 14.8V, 3200mAh, Lithium-ion battery provides around 350 full power pops per charge, with 2.5 second full power recycle time.

Weight is 1.96kg including battery, down from 3.2kg for the sizable F3-500W.

A 10 watt LED modelling light is also provided, and the F1-400 can also run off mains AC power with an optional adapter.

TRIOPO F1-400

The F1-400 also feature a large TFT LCD display, and interface again more closely resembling the original Profoto B1.

4 individual groups A / B / C / D, and 16 Channels are provided.

TRIOPO F1-400

Triggering and remote control are via a low profile radio transmitter, which uniquely provides both Canon and Nikon master modes in the one unit.

Again supporting up to 4 groups A / B / C / D, and 16 channels. TTL and Remote Manual groups can be mixed together, and turned off individually.

The 2.4GHz transmitter provides an AF assist light, and up to 100 meter radio range.

TRIOPO F1-400 FEATURES

• 400Ws (Guide N0. 63M – ISO 100)
  • 10W LED Modelling Light (5600K)
  • Fan Cooled
  • Color Temperature – 5600K +/-200K
  • TFT LCD Display
  • Sound Prompt
  • Overheat, Over-voltage, Over-current, Protection
  • USB Port for Firmware Upgrades
  • 3.5mm Sync Port
  • External Power Port (DC 15V/15A)
  • Weight Approx 1.96kg (With Battery)

TRIOPO F1-400

The Triopo transmitter unit provides control of 4 remote flash groups in TTL, Manual or Multi Modes.

(Its not completely clear, though Nikon master mode may only provide 3 groups).

And TTL and Manual Groups can be mixed together, or turned OFF individually as required.

Remote modelling light control via group is also provided from the transmitter.

TRIOPO F1-400

Uniquely the Triopo transmitter provides both Canon and Nikon master modes in the one unit. This requires multiple TTL contacts on the transmitters foot to accommodate both camera systems.

The transmitter also features an AF assist light, fast level lock, and is powered by 2 AA batteries.

TRIOPO F3-500W TTL

As well as controlling the F1-400, and F3-500W strobes, Triopo also have their own TTL slave speedlites compatible with the Triopo radio system.

(At the time of writing this there is no master speedlite, or receiver units available to fire other “non Triopo” strobes from the same transmitter).

TRIOPO F1-400

As well as radio mode, the F1-400 also provide both Canon and Nikon Optic Wireless slave modes in the one unit, as well as basic S1 and S2 optic slave modes.

TRIOPO F1-400

A TR-06 Bowens S-type accessory mount slides over the nose of the flash, and provides variable depth adjustment of the flash tube into the modifier.

TRIOPO F1-400

A diffuser dome is also supplied, and similar colored gel caps have also been spotted around the internet.

TRIOPO F1-400

Another nice advancement and feature and of the F1-400 is an included weatherproof hard case with internal foam padding.

TRIOPO F1-400W SPECS

Model F1-400
GN 63
Li-ion battery 14.8v / 3200mAh
Flash times (full power) 350 times
Recycling time 0.1 – 2.5s
Battery-charging time 6 hours (with self-protection)
Power range 1/128-1/1 (8 steps)
High speed sync 1/8000s
Flash mode Auto / M(S1/S2)/ Multi / DV .
SLAVE C / SLAVE N / RX-C / RX-N four wireless flash mode
Battery-charging way Plug-in charging type
Protection device Overheating protection
Triggering way Up to 100m, with built-in 2.4GHz remote control
LED Modeling bulb 10W (manual ON/OFF)
Buzz Yes (ON/OFF)
Weight Approx 1.96Kg
Color temperature 5600K±200K

Again Spanish dealer KubeStudio.com has provided a nice overview video of the Triopo F1-400 with comparison to the F3-500W.

Triopo products have not been widely available in the USA at this stage, though Neewer have the F1-400 and F3-500W kits available under Neewer branding on Amazon from $399 with transmitter.

Neewer provide 12 months warrant and multilingual email support.

NEEWER F1-400

The Triopo F1-400 TTL strobes and transmitter are available now from around $400 –

Amazon, UK, Ebay

Triopo – Website

1. Robert Mariani 6 months ago

I don’t own ProPhoto B1s and I don’t work for ProPhoto. But I wouldn’t buy these no matter how good they are for the simple reason that they are blatant ripoff of the B1 design. Yes, there are plenty of differences with the spec of the B1, but they are purposely made to look like the B1.

Some Chinese companies have no shame or moral fiber in their business practices, this is clearly an example of one of those companies. Frankly, FlashHavoc, its pretty disappointing that you even posted an article about these ripoffs!

• D 6 months ago

First of all, it’s China. Copies of everything. 600EX RT, lenses, other flashes. This one is no different. This keeps Profoto and other companies pushing to innovate, which is good for the industry overall.

• Eric Stoner 4 months ago

I question whether it’s “good for the industry” dude!

• Tony Meador 6 months ago

I suppose the same could be said of most of the Yongnuo or Shanny products in that regard. While I’m not particularly supportive of exact copies, I like the size and the price point. I’m also kind of liking the fact that the ProPhoto mounting system is supported. They’ve got to use something already established.

If I were starting over – I would consider this because of what *appears* to be high value (the case alone is added value) as well as the ability to move into the superior ProPhoto products – and continue to use whatever accessory purchases you’ve made. The Chinese have no qualms about exact copies of any company – they even duplicate other successful Chinese companies. Until we start getting serious about protecting intellectual property in this wonderful new global economy this isn’t going to stop.

In the meantime all I can think of is to support those companies who come up with their own unique industrial designs, while leveraging what would be fair use (such as a mounting system). I much prefer seeing Yongnuo finally coming up with some clean designs. Other companies such as Phottix have no problem doing so. If the manufacturers get feedback that we’d prefer a little more invention and less duplication, perhaps they’ll follow suit.

In the end, I feel FlashHavoc should report any new product coming out on the market from a major manufacturer – because in the end it’s down to the consumer. The capitalist system will work itself out. As long as FlashHavoc is simply putting the information out there without any editorializing or judgement.

• Craig 6 months ago

Ripoff based purely on the shape or more than that such as mechanical design / electronics?

• Tony Meador 6 months ago

I can see that copying the B1 is sort of pushing it – but I’ve come to expect nothing less from Chinese manufacturers. Like I said, Yongnuo and Shanny turned copying industrial design into a business.

In the end, one is a Chinese product that I see as a good starter set – the other is for established photographers who have the wherewithal to afford it – as well as the need for unparalleled product support.

I have 3 Yongnuo 600EX flashes I see as backup and nothing more – and would never suggest one for a single flash owner. But when one of my 600EX’s got damaged (young children & photo equipment don’t mix) and I had an upcoming shoot – I thought nothing of grabbing another Yongnuo. Heck, that flash was cheaper than the Canon repair!

Hi Robert Mariani,

Personally I really don’t like imitation styling, and I think most people actually hold products with unique design in higher regard than those with “knock off” styling.

I remember even the YongNuo engineer saying he hates it when the company imitate products like this.

If you look closely though there are actually numerous differences with the shape and design of the F1-400 (there is no handle to start with).

I think Jinbei made a much more reasonable offering with the HD-610 and a lot of people want to own this strobe due to the styling as much as the features. I think even the Interfit S1 transmitter was a bit distastefully emulated.

I think Triopo may be on to something with the dual Profoto and Bowen’s mount though. Because these are likely to be the 2 most prominent mounts going into the future, and the depth adjustment could be really handy with Bowens as well due to their often deep speedring inserts.

Regarding the copying though, all they have done is imitate the styling, most of the strobe is really different otherwise. And anyone is allowed to build their strobe into a 99mm diamater tube compatible with Profoto modifiers.

(And if we really want to get down to it, Profoto had no issue “taking inspiration” from my own speedlite flash bracket designs. Not that this is in any way a tit for tat response, I even promoted their brackets).

2. Craig 6 months ago

I wonder how the umbrella is supposed to stay in place. I don’t see anything to secure it.

• Tony Meador 6 months ago

Craig, you’re right – I don’t see anything on the other side to tighten it down. Unless they’re counting on friction or something is missing from the photo (incomplete prototype). Since umbrella shafts are not all the same diameter, friction seems to be right out.

• Tony Meador 6 months ago

You know what – looking at the straight-on shots of the flash it looks like there’s a little “button” inside of the tube. I bet it’s spring loaded and curved, so friction. Hmmm.

Now I have to go look at the B1 to see if THAT is a copy!

• Mark 6 months ago

I have had several Chinese flashes and friction is how they all retained the umbrella.
          IME umbrellas hold position without being clamped down because of friction from just the leverage of the umbrella in the mount is sufficient.
          Of course, indoors is best for this technique. Wind will hurt you.

3. Robert Johnson 6 months ago

Competition in the market will drive down prices and lead to innovations not dreamed of before. Do I think that Prophoto is worth the money hell no. When you could only purchase Canon or Nikon speedlights the prices were crazy for a speedlight anywhere $500 – $700 for a speedlight, it was not uncommon to pay a third of the price of the camera for a speedlight. Everyone copies and I mean everyone. I am all for copying and competition the market will decide which will rise or fall and the market appears to be large enough to sustain the competition. So for the loyalist continue to pay for overpriced gear when it all comes from the same place anyway, is anything really made in the United States any more?

• Robert Mariani 6 months ago

Its sad to hear you are all for copying, though truely unique original design is very difficult to achieve. If you are an artist of any order, I would think you would appreciate, value and want to protect those who put forth the time, expense and dedication to develop their own unique designs. Even the battery shape was replicated here.

I just outfitted my studio with several new Flaspoint Xplor 600s. For the most part, they are very good lights with very similar design to the Godox 600s. But the difference is Godox licenses their lights to other companies, which occurs in manufacturing all over the world.

Lastly, I dont think for a minute these Triopo lights will ever cause Profoto to lower their prices!

BTW

• DmitriyE 6 months ago

Actually Godox 600, Xplor 600. Cheetahlight, etc… is the same flash and manufactured at the same factory. Only
        different brand
        names printed on the units.

4. marco 6 months ago

Does the profoto air remote trigger work with these strobes? i shoot profoto in the studio and i would like to have a cheap portable solution i can use with my modifier, and that can be mixed with my actual lights, using the same radio system

thanks

Hi Marko,

No you would need to use the Triopo transmitter to control the F1-400.

I’m not sure if you could possibly fire the F1-400 from your Profoto lights, using the F1-400’s optic slave mode, and then just use the Triopo transmitter in hand to control the F1-400’s power levels.

For TTL though you would definitely need the Triopo transmitter on the camera’s hotshoe.

5. thaifan 6 months ago

I was hold this today in my hands in Bangkok at MBK Mall (Siam Area) there’s a shop name is Fotofile and they also do their own branded stuff. Their name is Hilight F1-400. To be honist it felt like the biggest peace of shit I ever had hold in my hand. Nothing compare to the B1. This Stobe feels no solid at all and seems like it will break already in ya hand !!! So for my bad words. But I do really had to check this flash out and I knew over here in Thailand is forsure a rebranded Version to find. I will go Godox all way !!!!!!

Hi thaifan,

Thanks for the feedback. I’m not sure what the build / feel is like, though a few people have reported they work very well, with consistent exposures and color temperature across the power range.

6. Alex Domingo 5 months ago

I must admit I had a lot of doubts about this product Neewer F1 400…maybe because of the little information that appears in the networks. I am testing it and I am feel so happy with the primary results. The TTL and HSS respond perfectly with my Canon 7D Mark ii. The quality of flash is very good, as well as the led light that brings built-in. Very practical and light. Multifunctional. I hope that the quality of the manufacture is good enough for the price that has been paid. We will see after a month what has been the field resistance and I will make a new comment about it. If it pass the quality test, we would be facing a high-end mid-range war machine that could be a great tool for photographers and a threat to those products with very high prices.

7. Tyrone 1 month ago

Has any one used the f1-400 with Nikon. Some reviews are saying TTl and HSS dose not work on Nikon

8. Marco 2 weeks ago

I have been following this F1-400 all around and tried to convince myself that, after all, it is a nice product. I have been reading few reviews that appeared on YouTube also. What kept me away from this product is their Website. Go to the ENG page and you´ll see that the news are stuck back to 2015 ! Also, go to to the “service” sub-page and see yourself. Nothing! No firmware download options. Where I am supposed to go if I need some kind of assistance with this F1-400?

Flash Havoc 2 weeks ago

Hi Marco,

They do look to be decent strobes, though unless you know a seller that deals a lot with Triopo I would be pretty wary of these at this stage. I’m not sure why Neewer are not listing them or the larger F-350 anymore on Amazon, and there are no other Amazon or Ebay listings.

I’m just working on new product guides at the moment, and I’m wary to even list less common strobes like these, because at the very least you want to know you will be able to still get a replacement battery in a couple of years, otherwise the strobe could end up useless.