FLASHPOINT XPLOR 400 PRO TTL – Cordless Strobe Announced!

XPLOR 400 PRO

Flashpoint and Godox are on fire once again, this time announcing the XPLOR 400 PRO / AD400 PRO, TTL and HSS enabled cordless strobe.

The 400 PRO being the much anticipated compact new brother to the impressive XPLOR 600 PRO TTL battery powered studio and location strobes.

Once again the 400 PRO provide auto sensing, Canon, Nikon, Sony, Fuji, and M4/3, compatible 2.4GHz radio receiver modes built inside, fully compatible with the complete Godox / Flashpoint R2 system of radio enabled strobes.

The 400Ws IGBT strobe also featuring impressive 0.9 second full power recycle times, and up to 390 full power shots from the compact new 21.6V, 2600mAh lithium-ion battery.

As well as a 30 watt LED modelling light, and stable color temperature mode.

XPLOR 400 PRO

From initial appearance the XPLOR 400 PRO may look quite similar to the 600 PRO, though the 400 have actually been completely redesigned with the intention of creating a smaller and lighter package, shaving over a kilogram (2lbs) off the 600’s weight (approx 2.2Kg vs 3.2Kg).

Reducing size and weight while retaining solid light output was always going to be a challenge. And to help with this the 400 PRO now feature the compact Godox modifier mount built-in, with an all important S-type adapter also supplied.

The Godox mount allowing dedicated lightweight modifiers to be attached directly to the strobe, therefore saving weight in both the mount and modifiers.

The strobes swivel mount and rear handle can even be removed to further reduce size and weight if needed.

XPLOR 400 PRO

So the versatile 400 PRO can now provide a lighter, more compact, package while in the field, something many wedding, event, and portrait photographers on the go have been waiting for.

While still featuring a full S-type mount, and 30 watt LED modelling light, for indoor and studio use.

That’s not the extent of the 400 PRO’s new tricks though, also available will be optional Profoto and Broncolor modifier mount adaptors.

As well as compact accessories like grids and snoot etc, which attach directly to the strobes supplied compact reflector.

A new port located in the face of the strobe indicates a remote extension head will be available as well.

XPLOR 400 PRO

XPLOR 400 PRO FEATURES

• 400Ws
  • GN 72M (ISO 100, Included Reflector)
  • IGBT
  • Fan Cooled
  • 30W LED Modelling Light (4800K / TLIC: 93) (M / Prop)
  • Godox Modifier Mount
  • Bowens S-type Mount Adatper
  • Optional Remote Head
  • Optional AC Power Adapter
  • Built-in (removable) 21.6V / 2600mAh Lithium-ion Battery
  • Up to 390 Full Power Pops Per Battery Charge
  • 0.01 – 0.9 Seconds Recycle Time
  • Flash Modes – TTL / M / Multi
  • Second Curtain Sync
  • FEC / FEB – 1/3rd Increments (±3 Stops)
  • FEL (Flash Exposure Lock)
  • Manual Flash – 9 Stops: 1/256 – 1/1 Output (1/3rd Increments)
  • Godox 2.4GHz X Radio System
  • Canon, Nikon. Sony, Fuji, M4/3, Radio Slave Modes (Auto Sensing)
  • Range – 100m +
  • Groups – A / B / C / D / E
  • 99 Wireless IDs
  • S1 & S2 Optic Slave Modes
  • Flash Duration – 1/220s-1/12820s (T0.1)
  • Color Temp – 5600 ± 200k
  • Color Temp – Stable Color Mode ±75k
  • Large Dot Matrix LCD Display
  • Custom Functions
  • Type C USB Port for Firmware Upgrades
  • 3.5mm Sync Port
  • Size – 220 x 102 x 128mm With Battery (No Flashtube Or Reflector)
  • Weight – 2.1 Kg with Battery (No Flashtube Or Reflector)

To help reduce size and weight even further the 400 PRO’s swivel mount and rear handle can even be removed.

This will mean less weight and bulk when using a remote head for example.

Optional grid, gel, and snoot accessories will also be available to attach directly to the 400 PRO’s supplied compact reflector.

XPLOR 400 PRO

The snoot can be stacked over the grid (and gels).

XPLOR 400 PRO

And optional modifier mount adaptors will be available for Profoto, Broncolor, and Elinchrom systems.

Profoto –

XPLOR 400 PRO

Broncolor –

XPLOR 400 PRO

A regular 7″ reflector mounted provides some perspective to the compact size of the fully self contained XPLOR 400 PRO –

XPLOR 400 PRO

XPLOR 400 PRO SPECS

Price and availability of the XPLOR 400 PRO TTL strobes should be available soon.

Please stay tuned for more details.

Flashpoint – Website

1. Joel Richards 7 days ago

Any side by side images with the AD360 & AD200? It looks so much like the 600 PRO I didn’t really grasp how compact it was until I saw the image with the 7″ reflector.

• Joe 7 days ago

I saw the comparison photo between the 400 and 600, I would say the 400 is about 3/4th the size in length of the AD600, as for the width it should be pretty much the same. Honestly for me I am not sure I would go for the 400 unless price wise it is closer to the AD200 pricing. Just that if it sells for $100-$200 less I am not sure the price difference is worth the sacrifice of 200Ws. Sure that is less that one stop of power in theory but when you are on location and fighting the sun, every stop counts.

FLASH HAVOC 7 days ago

There is a comparison image of the batteries here. It looks like a considerable difference in length and width.

There is also a comparison image of the AD200, AD400, and AD600 PRO here.

I think the bigger advantages to the 400 are more about convenience than price. They are more for people not using full power on the 600, and prefer the added portability of the 400.

2. The Flasher 7 days ago

does it take the same battery as the 600?

FLASH HAVOC 7 days ago

Hi Flasher,

No, they have gone with a smaller battery mount, you can see the difference here.

3. Paul 7 days ago

Why, oh why, did they not put the external head port on the side so that an external head could be used ALONG with the built-in head?

FLASH HAVOC 7 days ago

Paul I think you likely answered that yourself previously, as it would add complexity in dividing up the power etc.

If Godox do larger units it would be something to consider, though anything larger than the 600 would quite likely be a dedicated pack and head system anyway.

I wouldn’t be surprised if Godox do more dedicated pack and head systems later, its just that the cordless options have been most in demand now, partly because they have been missing from the market until recently.

• Paul 7 days ago

I brought this up again with the new unit because it looks like they did engineer a separate smaller socket on the new 400 Pro, so one would assume the the new remote head will not simply use an extension that plugs into the flash tube mount as on the 600. I’m not al electrical engineer and I don’t know how the capacitors are configured in the Godox units, but I know Balcar used to have this capability in a monolight, so I know it is possible. It may be wishful thinking on my part, but it seems that, if not for the socket location, this might otherwise be possible with a firmware and/or slight hardware update?

• Ricardo Gomez 5 days ago

Agreed. I think that would add a lot of complexity to the design of the system. Not just in power either.

4. Andy 7 days ago

Adorama website has a side by side size comparison.

5. Tim 7 days ago

I wish Bowen come as default instead of using an adapter. It’s perfect for wedding, engagement and on location shoots for me.

Definitely pre-order this one.

• Ganesh Naravian 7 days ago

I wish elinchrom ~

• Pony Ma 6 days ago

yes, can elinchrom and Profoto and Broncolor by Godox optional attachment changes

FLASH HAVOC 6 days ago

Godox have basically taken the 2 strobeconcepts I suggested and combined them into one.

I suggested it would be best to make both (and would still say the same thing now), though it looks like they have done a pretty nice job for the one strobe. The Godox mount shouldn’t be any hindrance, its really just a bonus that you can remove the S-type mount. Otherwise its similar to a dedicated S-type mount anyway.

Personally I would have preffered to see one strobe that would use all the same battery and accessories as the 600 PRO (and dedicated S-type mount), and another more compact version that would eventually combine with an updated AD200 to share the same battery mount and accessories.

The 400 PRO looks to make good sense for what it is, though I personally think we need to start unifying systems, at least from now on, and not keep creating more similar strobes with incompatible battery and accessories.

6. alberto 7 days ago

I can see why they decided the adapter option. Eventually, that will make them available for the mount systems.

So the price will be the deciding factor. I almost bought a AD360 this weekend. I’m assuming it’s going to be between $500 – $600. Any more than that, I would just get the AD360.

7. Ricardo Gomez 6 days ago

Not thrilled with the different battery sizes of the AD600Pro and AD400Pro. But these two systems are really for two different people. So I get it. A 2lb savings is a godsend to wedding and event photographers. Battery pricing has been reasonable. Just make SURE to label the batteries to make sure you don’t grab the wrong ones before a shoot. ;-). I just hope the optional AC adapter can be used with either system. That would be nice. :-). Again, pricing has been pretty reasonable..

8. mmmfotografie 6 days ago

Godox has become the brand that has produced a nice trigger and receiver eco-system for what seems totally different brands of flash equipment.

9. Mark Kitaoka 6 days ago

Incredible continued innovation from Godox. Can’t wait to try one.

10. Paul 6 days ago

I hope the Bowens adapter is solid and snug fit with a bolt or something. Can’t imagine what’s the mounting like.. got me weary just thinking about mounting the whole thing indirectly in a parabolic modifier.

• John Wilson 6 days ago

Paul, It looks like it’s secured with two bolts (there are two threaded holes underneath the Ad400Pro).

• Paul 6 days ago

Hopefully that’s the case. I assume it’s a matter of time until we see 800w remote head for this and 1200w remote head.

11. Robert 6 days ago

What I find innovative here, is the unique ability to change the type of connector for light modifiers. To be able to cleanly adapt Broncolor, Profoto and Bowens S mount modifiers is really useful and unique right now. Hopefully they will ad support for Elinchrom modifiers as well.

I think they should of had this on the AD600 Pro as well, perhaps it will be added on a AD600 Pro II.

Now if they can deliver solid Main Power adapter for the AD600 Pro and AD400 Pro, they will have a very flexible strobe setup for their customers.

12. Michael Quack 5 days ago

Hate that they now have three different batteries for 600, 600 pro and 400.
    Same mount, same voltage, different capacity – no problem.

Three different, incompatible batteries – why, oh why?

13. Drazen 5 days ago

Finally fantastic! Portable! There are so many possibilities. And if Godox makes the compacter and lighter ~ AD250 pro (shorter) with the same battery, all of my dreams about modern flash units will be realized.

14. Ron S 5 days ago

This is definitely an attractive option for event/wedding work where hoisting a 3kg light up a high light stand at receptions is not exactly confidence inspiring (though 2kg isn’t exactly light either). Sometimes an AD200 insufficient power, the recycling time near full power is too long, or the thermal protection kicks in too soon.

An attractive aspect of the 400Ws model is being able to use it at 1/4 or lower power with very fast recycling and decent t.1 flash duration. All the Godox battery powered units have abysmal full power flash duration specs, which is a reason to buy up one model/power level, if you care about that feature spec.

Definitely hope there is/will be an Elinchrom mount adapter (it’s unclear from various sources whether or not this is the case at time of announcement).

• Drazen 5 days ago

I understand that will be Elinchrom mount adapter. Since 2kg is not always light enough (certainly better than 3kg), it would be a good and newer version of the AD200, I suppose the AD250 PRO with the same mounting of the adapters and the same battery like this AD400 PRO. I don’t know if there are other factors to reduce, but I see the space for even a more compact unit to be a shorter.

15. Cam 5 days ago

Will this allow you to use gels and a bowens mount modifier?

16. Andy 14 hours ago

I’d like to see how they respond (weight wise) on a nano stand.

I use the ad360 on nano stands all the time.

I’d also love a comparison recycle time compared to the AD360.

This is really the flash I’ve been waiting for and I can ditch the Godox battery packs and cables.
    AD360’s have NEVER let me down but the battery packs have now and again.

• John Wilson 2 hours ago

Hi Andy!

A nano stand is rated at 1.5Kg so you may be pushing it with the 2.1Kg AD400.