XPLOR 600 PRO / GODOX AD600 PRO – TTL Strobe Announced!

XPLOR 600 PRO

Flashpoint and Godox have released the stunning new XPLOR 600 PRO / AD600 Pro, TTL and HSS enabled cordless strobe. And they are available now from Adorama for $899.

Significant upgrades and refinements over the original ground breaking XPLOR 600 / AD600B include –

• Super Fast 0.1 – 0.9 Second Recycle Time
  • Color Stability Mode (+/- 75K Over Entire Power Range)
  • Powerful 38 watt LED Modelling Light
  • Refined Flash Tube Design & Positioning
  • Streamline Reflector Included
  • Stepless Smooth Action All Metal Compact Swivel Mount
  • Optional Rear Studio Tilt Handle

XPLOR 600 PRO

Once again the 600WS Lithium-ion powered TTL and HSS enabled portable strobe provides auto sensing Canon, Nikon. Sony, Fuji, and M4/3, compatible 2.4GHz radio receiver units built inside.

The 600 PRO will not replace the original XPLOR 600 / AD600B, instead being sold alongside, and providing a higher spec option which will be at home in the studio as well as on location.

XPLOR 600 PRO

XPLOR 600 PRO FEATURES

• Powerful 600Ws
  • GN 87M (ISO 100, Included Reflector)
  • Fan Cooled
  • 38W LED Modelling Light (Adjustable)
  • Bowens S-type Mount
  • Optional Remote Head
  • Optional AC Power Adapter
  • Built in (removable) 28.8V / 2600mAh Lithium-ion Battery
  • Up to 360 Full Power Pops Per Battery Charge
  • 0.01 – 0.9 Seconds Recycle Time
  • Flash Modes – TTL / M / Multi
  • Second Curtain Sync
  • FEC / FEB – 1/3rd Increments (±3 Stops)
  • FEL (Flash Exposure Lock)
  • Godox 2.4GHz X Radio System
  • Canon, Nikon. Sony, Fuji, M4/3, Radio Slave Modes (Auto Switching)
  • Range – 100m + with X1 as Transmitter
  • Groups – A / B / C / D / E
  • Supports Legacy Godox FT-16 XT-16 Remote Manual Trigger System
  • S1 & S2 Optic Slave Modes
  • Flash Duration – 1/220s-1/10100s
  • Large Dot Matrix LCD Display
  • Custom Functions
  • Type C USB Port for Firmware Upgrades
  • USB Communication Port (For FTR-16 & XTR-16 Receivers)
  • 3.5mm Sync Port

XPLOR 600 PRO

And once again the all important remote head option is available separately.

XPLOR 600 PRO

As well as an AC power adapter for mains power use, and an optional rear handle.

XPLOR 600 PRO

XPLOR 600 PRO SPECS

COMPARISON TABLE

GODOX_AD600_PRO

XPLOR 600 PRO

XPLOR 600 PRO

The Flashpoint  XPLOR 600 PRO TTL are available now from Adorama for $899.

Or $968 with R2 PRO Transmitter for Canon, Nikon, Sony, Fuji, and M4/3.

Flashpoint – Website

Flashpoint – User Manual

Godox – Website

1. mealtrip 4 months ago

Just to be sure, this uses the same battery pack as the “normal” XPLOR 600 / AD600B correct?

Hi mealtrip,

No, unfortunately the battery voltage and mounting system are different. That appears to be one of the trade offs to an otherwise amazing strobe.

I know Godox wanted to refine the battery, though maybe the higher voltage could also be related to the impressive recycle times, and voltage required by the powerful LED light.

2. Ulysses 4 months ago

That would NOT seem to be correct. Their power specs are interestingly different.
    AD600Pro battery: 28.8V / 2600 mAh
    AD600 battery: 11.1V/8700mAh

• mealtrip 4 months ago

hummmm… right you are! i see that now. that’s too bad.

• Ricardo 4 months ago

That’s unfortunate. Especially with having a more powerful modeling light. A more powerful battery would be beneficial. Less full power-pops. Feels like going backwards. And we’ll need to buy more batteries too.

Another issue which may be even bigger is the lack of battery compatibility between this and the older model. The older model isn’t that old either. I feel like I dodged a bullet. I think others are going to be quite angry…

It puts a pro in a weird spot. Looks great with great specs and the price is definitely good. Though, do you invest in this system only to have them change the battery format in 3 – 4 years and lack compatibility? So you sell your older units at half price the buy the new ones? Or buy the Profoto and not deal with that? Though Profoto doesn’t have Panasonic compatibility yet…

It’s a beautiful unit though. It reminded me of the Profo unit when I first saw it. In some ways it looks better. Great specs and features. Now I know what Godox was working on instead of the R2 Pro transmitter for m43. 😉

• mealtrip 4 months ago

Exactly! I have three AD600’s and three SLB60W’s … using the same battery between all the units is one of the top five best things about using the system. I’ve never mixed the led’s with the strobes, and for me… having that second set of batteries, has come in handy. Until there are SLB60WPro’s… and then you nailed it… are we just going to see another new battery in three years. At least they use the same wireless … so there’s that!

Having different batteries is always a concern, though I think Godox have changed this out of necessity here, to provide the improved recycle times and LED etc.

The original strobes will continue production as well, so their batteries should be safe for some time to come. Which is at least a better situation than the Jinbei strobes for example which moved completely to the new format (though still provide replacement batteries at this stage).

3. georgep 4 months ago

And this marks the end of most Western flash brands.

4. Earle 4 months ago

A likely silly question since I don’t own either unit but… will the “Pro” extension head be compatible with the existing AD600 units?

• Mariosch 4 months ago

I highly doubt it.
      The pinning on the tube looks quite different. Also, die LED inside the Pro Extension head would be nearly 4 times as powerful, I don’t think the AD600’s electronics are built to handle this.
      Which is probably why they choose a different pin layout

5. Joel Richards 4 months ago

So does this have a fast OR stable mode? Two different color temp variations are listed in the specs.

Interesting trade off in the power: faster but fewer flashes. Godox is really aiming to go upscale with these.

Hi Joel,

Yes the fast mode is basically the standard mode as the original strobes provide. Now you have the option of selecting the Color Stability Mode, which is stated as +/- 75K over the full power range.

I think the original strobes are quite good from shot to shot, which is the main thing, though there is quite a variation from full to lowest power level. So the new color mode will make it easier to mix strobes at different power levels when color is important.

6. John Wilson 4 months ago

The head has 6 sockets but the bulb appears only to have 4 pins. I wonder what else is planned to go on the head?

• John Wilson 4 months ago

To answer my own question: the other two are probably to power the modeling lamp on the extension head.

• courtland b toney 3 months ago

honestly john i was wondering the same thing….if you look at the 1200 watt extention head it has 6 sockets on that one…im thinking godox has figured out how to streamline the 1200 or 1000 or 800 bulb into one unit with the extention head instead of two…also a reason fo the new battery…jusy my wishes

7. Dogwood 4 months ago

Interesting, it look like a mix from broncolor siros aesthetically

8. Felipe 4 months ago

Wonder how much the optional handle will cost. Anyone with info. on that? Thanks!

9. Darryl Jones 4 months ago

Is there a price on the non-TTL version?

Hi Darryl,

There is not going to be a non-TTL version of the PRO strobe at this stage.

• DevonSloan 4 months ago

Are studio pros shooting TTL? Almost entirely no.

• Dan 4 months ago

your key words there are “Studio Pro” I personally don’t need a battery powered light for my studio, these lights are for on location shooting where you used to have to have to use a $1500 battery pack and schlep it around separate of your light.

Hi Dan,

For a lot of people though, they don’t want or need to buy a second set of strobes for studio like use. So these are not just location strobes anymore, the modelling light and refinements make them very usable in both situations. That makes the value for money equation a lot more desirable for many people.

The B1’s for example often take up all of peoples budget, so its no surprise they use them for everything. And they don’t even provide an AC adapter. Most of the time people don’t even complain about that an issue though either.

Hi Devon,

I don’t think its a matter of whether everyone uses the TTL function or not, its simply that they need to sell the strobe for a certain price to make it viable. In other words they could sell you a manual version, though it wouldn’t be any cheaper at this stage.

Further down the track we could see strobes like this and even the AD200 etc in cheaper manual versions.

10. Darryl Jones 4 months ago

38W LED Modelling Light (Adjustable)

Does that mean proportional adjustment is available?

It should have a proportional option, EDIT – yes it does.

I was actually trying to get the adjustment in correct stops (for video use etc) and adjustable through the coming Flashpoint transmitter, though I don’t know where that ended up at this stage.

This should likely all be able to be updated later still with firmware though if needed.

EDIT – The Flashpoint specs have – “Proportional, Variable and Synced Modes”. “Synced Modes” also sounds interesting.

• John Wilson 4 months ago

Synced Mode is intriguing.

Perhaps, in TTL mode, it’s proportional to the power of the last pop?

• Ulysses 4 months ago

>> “Proportional, Variable and Synced Modes” <<

As this is a relatively new topic for me (LED and how it relates to video use), what is the significance and use case of these modes?

Hi Ulysses,

Proportional and variable (manual power settings) are traditional modelling light modes for still photography.

The proportional mode just adjusts the modelling light directly in relation to the power level the strobe is set to. So you can see the lighting ratios etc on the subject without manually adjusting the modelling light power levels to match the strobe power level.

I’m not sure what the Synced mode refers to yet. If it was a a flash type mode using the LED light (like the Rotalight Neo II provides) that would be quite interesting. We have asked Godox previously about LED strobes.

11. Kim 4 months ago

Why is that flash tube have a diffuser in front of it? It will decrease the maximum brightness.

• mmmfotografie 4 months ago

It has many advantages and also a better spread if the light produced by the posing light. The main part of the light goes to the reflector which give the a better quality.

Hi Kim,

It may actually have very little negative effect at all in regards to reducing light. I would have though the same myself, though after often measuring the various strobes with and without there frosted glass dome, the difference in output if often almost undetectable. (I understand the B1’s additional dome reduces light output).

The frosted cover generally helps to provide a more even diffused light pattern, with less of a hot spot than the bare tube. (Bare tubes with nicely designed reflector arrangement around them can be very even as well though).

12. mmmfotografie 4 months ago

Strange I see 29,8 Volt and 26Ah when I squeezing my eyes looking at the picture of the fitted battery pack.

The LED is much more brighter, 7 a 8 times, than the previous one, also because it is not covered by the flashbulb. I never used the original LED because of this design fault which has now be corrected in this version.

• mmmfotografie 4 months ago

Used Google to find it on Adorama and it is 28.8Volt for the battery pack.

And the LED can be set to proportional.

13. the flasher 4 months ago

wow what a great looking Strobe! I held off buying the AD600 as I still make use of Godox’s older Xenergiser strobes, but this new pro unit looks the business!

But they should have given it a different name as it seems that NONE of the accessories from the original AD600 is compatible with this one……. different battery…different mains adaptor……different flash tube….different extension head.

14. JL Williams 4 months ago

Minor irritant: It looks as if there’s no longer a retaining screw for the umbrella socket. I guess the wind doesn’t blow much in China…

• mmmfotografie 4 months ago

There is a metal spring strip in the tube that holds the shaft of the umbrella in place by friction.

• IL 4 months ago

I agree with JL Williams, that is an irritant. The spring strip in these systems tend to have a weak holding power, and you end up with a lot of inconsistency because you’ve tilted the light or the slight winds have pushed the umbrella in or out, changing the quality of light.

• mmmfotografie 3 months ago

If the spring is not strong enough you can dril and taper your own thread to be able screw down your umbrella pole.

Godox products, always to be improved by buyers. 😉

15. Mark Kitaoka 4 months ago

My plan is to compare these units against my Xplor/Godox 600 units. I depend exclusively on these to make my living and IF the Pro versions provide enough value I will switch my entire collection over to these. Bravo for continuing to evolve this line of strobes. The recycle times and the step less handle caught my eye immediately. I am especially happy that they have opted to develop a remote head for the units. If not I could not switch as I use focusing rods for many of my modifiers. I do plan to keep two of the xPLOR 600s to use the the 1200ws head. Gives me incredible flexibility.

• Ulysses 4 months ago

Mark, my guess is that for what you do, the modeling light alone may be a great benefit to you, coupled with the improved recycle rate. But will it be worth $899? That’s a different question.

16. kennie 4 months ago

Holy mother!
    Take the Siros reflector/glas dome and increase the LED power by 52%. 🙂

Faster recycle time …yes nice.
    Useful modeling lamp …of course also nice.

Color OR FREEZE mode like B1/Siros/ xyz …pretty, pretty nice. 😀

BUT the two most important features are:

1. In Color Stability Mode +/- 75K …did anybody know what this means? BRON ECTC v2 which is THE best has +/- 50K and Profoto has also +/- 50K. THIS IS HUGE! 🙂

2. I think the first non-bowens-flash that has the right distance between “bowens mount” and flash tube. THIS will double the output compared to the normal AD600 when used with tele reflectors and at least half a stop more light in any softbox.

This new AD600 PRO will fill a large softbox without problems (flash tube sits now deeeeep inside the softbox), while the Profoto B1X need an extra frosted glass dome (otherwise just 77 degree light spread from the built in umbrella reflector) and thanks to that glass dome …acts more like a 300WS flash. So the AD600 could fill a large softbox at half power …which means 720 half power flashes at 0.45s recycle time VS the B1X at 325 full power flashes at 1.9s recycling time …same aperture value. W O W!

btw …the new round/horeshoe bulb has four pins but only needs three, as the AD600 spiral one. These “normal” xenon flash bulbs need two poles (anode and cathode) + ground. Only special dual arc ones need four (e.g. high speed flash tubes). So there is hope for a 1200WS twin head. 🙂

17. VisX 4 months ago

The battery issue (more power-hungry LED, lower number of full power flashes) can be fixed by introducing a higher capacity battery (sold separately).

For these chinese brands you always face the high risk of them not providing backward compatibility to existing accessories. But for the same spec, the initial investiment is much lower than bigger name brands. So relatively it is not a hugh loss even if you have to get rid of the obsoleted model.

18. Dogwood 4 months ago

Really nice lights, would most likely want to buy them but there’s one big concern i have with it. Is it possible to get them repaired, for years to come? I know flashpoint has a 2 years waranty for replacement but after that period, what happen?

Hi Dogwood,

Flashpoint are offering a 3 year warrant with the XPLOR PRO.

There has been talk of possible future repair facilities at various times, though up to this point Adorama have simply been offering people good deals on replacing their gear as needed. I’m not sure exactly what those deals have been like, though I haven’t run into anyone complaining yet.

When you consider repairs for Profoto etc may not be particularity cheap, the Flashpoint replacement model appears to be working at this stage.

• Dogwood 3 months ago

Thanks, hopefully by the time the 3 years warranty is over there will be repair centers to keep them fixed when needed.

19. Lloyd Sturdy 4 months ago

Anyone know if you will be able to set the power manually or do you have to use it in TTL mode?

20. Lloyd Sturdy 4 months ago

To answer my own question. I’ve just read the specs and seen that you can use it in manual mode!!

21. Ian 4 months ago

Will there be an AD360 Pro version coming out soon?

Hi Ian,

It won’t be soon, though its something I will be pushing Flashpoint and Godox for again.

The cordless 360 should well be the most popular model for many people.

• Bertrand 3 months ago

I agree, the AD 360 has enough power for most jobs and is way lighter than the AD600. Separate battery is not a problem either. I still use my 2 Godox QT600 with portable inverter battery packs when I need more power. Until I can justify buying this brand new xplor 600 pro 🙂

22. Al Cab 4 months ago

This is a step in the right direction. I hope they plan to do a AC connection soon.

But it’s not for me. I am fine with my AD600. It does the job. aside from that, I don’t need to spend money on stuff I already own just because its pretty.

Hi Al,

Yes there is an AC adapter on the way.

Yes the original XPLOR / AD600 is still a great strobe if it fills your needs. Not everyone needs these upgrades, so its nice to have the options.

23. Ulysses 4 months ago

Lloyd, every TTL strobe will also have a fully Manual mode. Or at least I’ve never seen one as strictly TTL. This way you can take advantage of either automatic TTL metering and power output, or you can take total control of the exposure yourself. You will need a transmitter such as the X1T or the XPro.

24. Ryan 4 months ago

Will they still continue to sell the older batteries from the orgional 600? Or should I buy some more now just in case??

• John Wilson 3 months ago

I don’t think you need to worry about battery availability. The old style AD600s are still being manufactured and the SLB60 continuous lights which has only recently been introduced use the same batteries and AC adapter.

Yes I think you should be pretty safe for some time to come.

Luckily there is safety in numbers when it comes to battery powered devices. 🙂

25. Mark 4 months ago

This unit is a great example of Godox upgrading it’s already great performance with another splendid flash.

While I like the looks and the specs I don’t feel sad that I have the regular AD600s. I get more flashes (I don’t need super fast recycle times) and I can get them at a low price (I use the manual ones). I can also get a great deal from all the guys upgrading to the pro version. 😉

As for color, I have only seen color issues on Alien Bees when I run the power way down or up. Bowens, Hensel, Quantum, Norman, Speedatron, Bron all did not vary to a degree that was visible. So that is an issue that seems a product of marketing hype.

Hi Mark,

The consistency from shot to shot is generally very good with the original AD600 / XPLOR. Though there is quite a bit of variation across the power range.

I’ll test them when I get the new strobe to compare, though from memory I think its nearly as much as 1000K variation across the full power range (mainly varying more at lowest levels).

It may not be a practical issue for most people, though its not marketing hype in this case.

• Mark 3 months ago

I do not believe that Godox is a poor performer but rather the issue of color variance is overblown. In my history of flash usage as a professional I have never had an issue with color variance that made a visible impact on any image I have made.

More realistically, as these lights are designed for location work the real issue of color is the variables of the location, ambient lighting, and the subject.

I have had zero issues with Godox in the past and they are only getting better.

26. John Wilson 3 months ago

The data sheet is up on the Godox web site now http://www.godox.com/EN/Products_Witstro_Flash_AD600Pro.html

27. John Wilson 3 months ago

Whilst the new bulb has 4 pins only 2 of them are actually used. So it looks like there is a capability of supporting a 1200ws dual pack head if there is enough demand for it.

• kennie 3 months ago

Sorry John, but that is not correct.

If you know anything about how a xenon flash bulb works, you should know that you need at least 3 terminal pads. 1. anode 2. cathode 3. ground/earth

So 3 of the 4 pins are used and the flash (AD600PRO) has 6 instead of 5 (AD600) contact sockets. 3 pins for the flash bulb, one (the new one) for extra stable hold of the bulb and the two remaining ones to power the LED when using an extension head. 🙂

Is there any design flaw? Yes of course! How is the fan working in the extension heads? Well …there is no fan in any of the extension heads. So goodbye long flash bulb life. 😉

• kennie 3 months ago

My mistake: pin 3. is not ground/earth it is the auxiliary electrode (the thin wire all around the flash tube) which is connected to the ignition coil. 🙂

• John Wilson 3 months ago

Kennie, thanks for the correction. I did realise my mistake and thought I’d posted a correction. Obviously I’m getting old!

However, the bulb envelope does seem to allow for a 1200Ws version. There are 6 holes in the base, a pair top and bottom one at each side. The bottom pair and the two at each side have pins in them the top pair are unpopulated. One of the side pins is unused (as you say ,you need three pins for the tube to work).

So if all the holes were populated then it’s possible to independently fire 2 600Ws tubes making a 120ws strobe.

• Mark 3 months ago

Flash tube life will be shortened by heavy, continuous use but for most people the cycle time is much more sedate and thus overheating is not an issue.

I used Bowens flashes that shut down because the modeling lamps overheated the head. Shutting of the modeling lamps solved the problem.

28. MTL 3 months ago

“When you consider repairs for Profoto etc may not be particularity cheap, the Flashpoint replacement model appears to be working at this stage”

That mostly applies to people buying in northern America from Adorama. Elsewhere it’s full price if anything as negligible as a broken pin gets damaged.

The economics of buying that AD600 pro just don’t add up for me in Europe, precisely because they can’t be repaired. I have easy access to used but still under warranty Profoto B1s (for example) for around 1100-1300 euros, so about 200-300 euros more than the likely price of the AD600 pro. They will keep their value better than the AD600 pro (vs. purchase price). And they can be repaired. I don’t think that many people in the world have received repair bills for a B1 that exceed the price of an AD600 pro. I saw one one a technician’s desk that had been dropped several meters. Several parts had to be replaced, including the whole casing and a PCB (surprisingly the flash tube was intact). Total repair cost was around €500. In addition to that the warranty obviously won’t apply if you’re responsible for the damage.

So here in Europe it might look relatively cheap on paper, but the total cost of ownership is likely to be higher than a B1 in the long run if the latter has been purchased used.

For me at this price point Godox is a no buy as long as there isn’t a (competent) repair centre in Europe.

Also, it wouldn’t be exactly unwelcomed if they actually responded to mails. Profoto so far hasn’t just been responsive, they have actively asked me for as much information as possible on the several bugs I’ve reported to them so far. Godox ? Zero answer so far, regardless of the contact channel.

• John Wilson 3 months ago

In the UK I know of three companies importing and selling Godox kit (there may be more).

Lencarta used to rebrand the kit but now sells it as Godox branded (www.lencarta.com).

PixelPro rebrands the kit (www.essentialphoto.co.uk)

Photomart claims to be the official Godox distributor but has just started selling the kit and isn’t offering everything yet (http://shop.godox.co.uk/). Be aware that the prices on this site exclude VAT.

None of the vendors offer the whole of the Godox range but then that’s also true of Adorama.

All three offer a 2 year warranty (this is a legal requirement in the EU). Lencarta and (I think) PixelPro will repair out of warranty goods bought from them for a fee. I don’t know about Photomart – their web site is a mess I would not deal with them.

So the support and repair situation is not ideal but you can get support if you buy from local suppliers much like the situation in the USA.

Hi MTL,

I think Quadralite have actually started offering a repair and support service in Europe.

Regarding the support emails etc, you will be relying on the dealer for that.

Godox could employ a large customer service department to service their ever expanding world market, though that would add to the price of the products.

29. MTL 3 months ago

I’d like to know in that case what “repair” means. So far none of the French retailers I’ve talked to have been able to tell me exactly what happens after the warranty period expires or in case I’m responsible for the damage. Can they open the unit and replace parts on their own ? Can they get those parts ? Do they have to ship them to China ? How much fine-grained these repairs can be (to minimise cost to some degree) ? Are they competent enough to address subtle issues (such as tolerances issues) ? Etc. None of them can tell me what replacing this or that part costs (Profoto can if you ask nicely). None of them can tell me turnaround times (for Profoto if it doesn’t require too much work and they aren’t overloaded I can pop in the repair centre in Paris and the thing is fixed under my eyes while they offer me coffee).
    The promise that something will be “repaired” isn’t of much value to me if I don’t get a minimum of clarity about what happens to my unit once it’s broken. So for now for me broken Godox = replaced, not repaired. That’s fine when they sell at prices that are sufficiently low that it doesn’t make much sense to repair a unit, but at the AD600 pro’s price the economics no longer are clearly in Godox’ favour. Let’s put things in very concrete terms : because I’ve bought most of it lightly used (2-6 months), with only a few exceptions, and in a very specific way (I target sellers who sell in kit, to get an overall lower price, and then separately re-sell the items I don’t need), the current total cost of ownership of my Profoto equipment, including re-sale value, is at least zero if not a little positive. That’s already better than anything from Godox (they aren’t that popular in Paris and nearly impossible to buy used. Besides given that they can’t be reliably repaired and I don’t know if I’ll be able to have the warranty properly transferred, it’s a lot riskier than to buy used Profoto lights).
    I really like what I see here and Godox’ rate of progress, but at some point they’ll have to dip their toes in the water and develop for real proper customer services. I wouldn’t mind to ditch my Profoto equipment, but right now it makes no economic sense at all.

30. MTL 3 months ago

Thanks for the heads-up Mr. Flash Havoc :D. At least Quadralite try to provide some clarity about what happens in case of a problem. The repair centre is in Poland though. That will be expensive for me to ship the items back and forth, particularly with insurance in mind. Cost of shipping and receiving Profoto or Broncolor equipment here in Paris : 0 euros.

I’d be very happy to pay an extra 20% over current Godox prices if that means they would be able to provide good competent (it isn’t just about repairing parts) customer services on their own (maybe not necessarily in Paris, let’s be realistic), with a responsive and effective mail box. From the spec sheet the AD600 pro looks like a thorough improvement over Godox’s previous designs and it bodes very well for the future. I don’t see why they’d have any trouble selling it for an extra €200 if there is better support behind it.

• Al Cab 3 months ago

MTL, here in the US, we don’t have any good options for repairs either. We are lucky that two large retailers here in the US sell Godox. So if a strobe breaks and it is still under warranty, they will usually replace it. I had it happen twice with a v860 and an AD360. (that was with Adorama and Cheetahstand thou, BHPhoto just started to sell Godox) But if the warranty expires, we end up stuck with a paperweight.

I just think that Godox has lousy customer service overall.

• the flasher 3 months ago

Bonjour MTL,

I think you have answered your own question. You have Profoto gear that works and can be serviced easily.

When on a photoshoot clients will say ” ooh la la Profoto!” and not “Merde who booked the photographer with the cheap Chinese equipment!”

I buy lots of small Godox TTL 860 flashes and treat them as disposable because while they work they work well and when they brake down (which they all did) they were cheap enough to throw away and replace.

At €600 I am temped to buy Godox…. at €900 I will save a bit more money and buy Profoto.

31. Paul 3 months ago

Is it correct that the extension head for this and the previous model can only be used INSTEAD of the built-in head, not IN ADDITION to? It looks like there is no external socket, so this must get plugged into the regular flashtube socket, right? If so, this seems short-sighted. It would be great to have the option of a portable two-head system.

• Tom 3 months ago

That is correct — you take the flashtube out and plug in the extension cable. Frequently, one of the smaller Godox/Flashpoint strobes (like the 200) is all you need for fill.

• Paul 3 months ago

There are a lot of other situations for using two heads besides main and fill. The specs on this new unit make it a viable alternative to larger battery location flash units, especially the higher power LED modeling light. Years ago Balcar made a nice monolight (not battery powered) with a second head socket. Because Godox is already producing the remote head it might make sense to make a slightly more expensive larger unit with a 2nd remote socket.

32. mmmfotografie 3 months ago

Godox has entered the pricerange of Profoto for me. I don’t use TTL so any investment in that is like throwing money out of the window.

Hoping that that Godox will also produce non-TTL of the AD600Pro soon.

33. Ricardo 3 months ago

At the end of the day, no system is perfect. I love the Godox ecosystem with it’s versatility to mix and match components and still only use one trigger. The pricing is great too. My hope is that Godox standardizes their battery specifications for their strobes. If they want to be a long-term player, it’s an absolute necessity to have the backward compatibility. To a certain point. I don’t expect batteries designed for systems 10 years ago to work.. But for at least a couple of generations.

Now, will you release the R2 Pro transmitter for m43? 😉

34. Martin 3 months ago

It looks like a really nice unit and has taken on board some of my previous suggestions to flash havoc like having a doughnut shaped flash tube so it can have a single powerful cob led. The front frosted glass dome is also a nice feature which will improve light quality when used in a soft box modifier. The only thing I can’t get my head around which doesn’t make sense is a less powerful battery but an overall heavier unit than the previous model.

• Mark 3 months ago

I am thinking the increased weight comes from more robust guts.

35. Robert 3 months ago

Not clear on color temp spec. On the Godox site, it reads the following:

“Color Temperature 5600K, +/-200K” Does this mean speed mode?
    “Stable Color Temperature mode: Changes within +/- 75K in entire power range”

Do they mean OVER the entire range or shot to shot, again a big difference?

Also, flash duration, are these t1.0 or t0.05 – This makes a big difference depending which it is?

Is there a “burst” mode like ProFoto and Broncolor? Is that what they are calling multimode?

I also wonder why they stick to 1/3 power adjustments in Manual instead of 1/10th like everyone else?

All in all they look promising. But at this price point, as others pointed out, there needs to be a repair center, unless they just plan to replace every unit that fails mechanically. I bet they go on sale come WPPI 2018 in the US 😉

Hi Robert!

As I understand it there are two modes: a high speed mode with a variance of ±200K and a Stable color mode with a variance of ±75K both over the entire power range. The Godox QTII studio strobe has also has these two modes but with a far worse spec.

Godox always quotes t1.0 durations.

I don’t know what this bust mode is. If you are shooting the camera in burst mode then the strobe will keep up at low power it depends on the burst rate to determine the maximum power you can use.

Godox started with speedlights. Most, if not all, speedlights use 1/3rd stop steps. I think the feeling is that adding lights with 1/10th stop steps would just make the system confusing with negligible benefit (that’s certainly my view).

• Robert 3 months ago

John thanks for your reply. We all know t.1 duration specs are more relavent than t.5, so its great to read you believe Godox qoutes t.1 specs for their lights.

Maybe I missed it on their website, can you help us in finding that information?

As to “Burst” mode, if you were using a Canon 1DX II at 14 frames a second, a Profoto D2 or B1X could keep up at 20 fps for a short duration depending on light power requirements.

So given the “Pro” designation to the new strobes, wondering if they can achieve a “burst” mode.

Thank you!

Hi Robert

Page 37 of the AD600 manual says they use t0.1 http://www.godox.com/EN/InstructionManual/Godox_AD600_20151216.pdf

The AD200 does the same (http://www.godox.com/EN/InstructionManual/Godox_AD200_20171010.pdf – page 3). Both the AD600 and the AD200 will display the duration of the next firing on the screen.

The number of rapid flashes the device will sustain in one burst depends on the power of each firing. The manual I pointed you at gives the number if firing it will allow before the overheat protection cuts in (Page 42 of the AD600 manual).

The Pro manual isn’t up on the site yet so these figures should be treated as provisional. In particular the Pro has considerably improved recycle time which will help with rapid bursts.

Hope this helps

• Robert 3 months ago

Hi John,

Thank you for being so helpful with your replies! I appreciate it very much.

• kennie 3 months ago

Hi Robert

Godox is quoting t0.1 times and the B1(X) shows NO t0.1 times on display (sad) but on page 12 of their user-guide. (https://profoto.azureedge.net/cdn/04aac17/globalassets/inriver/resources/profoto-b1x-500-airttl-user-guide_en.pdf)

t0.1(s) @ full power (AD600 1/1; B1X 10.0)
          AD600 1/220 (600Ws) -> AD600 1/300 (500Ws)
          B1(X) 1/400 (500Ws)

t0.1(s) @ lowest power (AD 1/256; B1X 2.0)
          AD600 1/10000 (2.3438Ws)
          B1(X) 1/8000 (2Ws)

They stick to 1/3 instead of 1/10 because Godox started it all with small speedlite strobes and there you have 1/3 instead of 1/10 settings. So they will figure this out sooner or later. 😉

The “burst” mode on Profoto (don´t know about the Siros from Broncolor) is always on, means if the power level is low enough you could fire with up to 20fps on the lowest setting (2Ws) with the B1(X).

The new AD600PRO can fire 12fps at 1/16 (not tested yet by anyone other then Godox) which means 37.5Ws.
          If I´m calculating this save (inclunding enough buffer) …should be easy 20fps at 1/64 which translates to 9.375Ws. 2 (maybe even 1/32 so 3) f-stops more powerful than the B1(X). 😀

Not for you Robert:
          To all the Trolls out there reading this …I know what you are doing on all the YouTube comments and posts out there. You are quoting the t0.5(s) 1/1000 of the B1 @ 500Ws vs the t0.1(s) 1/220 of the AD600 @ 600Ws …WOW the AD600 is sooooo slow. Well it is slower, but not the 1/1000 VS 1/220 you are all want to make us believe. ;-P

• Robert 3 months ago

Kennie,

Thank you for the additional clarification! IF the color and recycle times prove to be accurate (I will be looking forward to the real world testing reviews), these lights are going to impact sales of Profoto and Broncolor when buyers consider B1X and Siros L. Then Godox follow up with a 1000w version, watch out!

Being a little nit-picky here, I wish they would get displays on their lights better than the cheap looking 1980’s dot matrix design – again, the word “Pro” keeps coming to mind 😉 and those displays are not the easiet to read for all of used to looking at our cell phones with high res displays.

• kennie 3 months ago

You’re welcome!

The new color mode was one of the reasons I only bought one and not three AD600. The AD600 +/-200K is only true till maybe 1/32 power, after that another +800K happens.
              Because the AD600 only had a speed mode, between 600Ws and 2.34Ws we have almost 1000K color shift which is not a good feature for studio work, for outdoor shootings maybe not that important. 🙂

• courtland b toney 3 months ago

you can change it from 1/3rd to 1/10 the menu n control….i used on the 600 but changed back cause my flashes cant do it

36. kennie 3 months ago

By the way I have found out something really interesting …Bowens XMS/XMT.
    Before Bowens went out of business a few months ago (https://petapixel.com/2017/07/20/bowens-yes-dead-chinese-brands-killed-us/) Godox helped them make the Bowens XMT500. Thanks to my source! 😀

Now Godox knows the right dimensions for the Bowens-bayonet because …well …they got the right numbers from Bowens for building the XMT500. They also had to increase color stability because the AD600 color shift where not good enough for Bowens. So all the know-how the got from Bowens for making the XMT500 better than the AD600 went into the AD600 PRO.

• mmmfotografie 3 months ago

It is good to see that a lot of Bowens design is living on the AD600 Pro.

Been always a big fan of Bowens and the XMT “share” parts/design also used in the the AD600 and AD600 Pro.

It is a real pity that plug was pulled on Bowens.

37. MTL 3 months ago

@kennie “What? Yes! The B1(X) has +/- 150K @ color and +/- 800K @ freeze/speed mode. The Broncolor flashes deactivate the class leading ECTC-technology +/- 50K in freeze mode and does not state any +/- K numbers in this mode.”

Beware of specifications lists. None of the quoted numbers above are actually true in reality. Whether for the worse (some Profoto B2 packs, which share the same published numbers as the B1, had a bug that resulted in a colour temperature delta above 800k even in normal mode), or for the best (Post firmware A6 the B2 is quite a lot more consistent than the published 300k delta).

Godox’s published number (+/- 75k) is quite cocky and I sure hope that they’ve achieved that :D.

I don’t know what the +/-200k refers to. If it’s sample variation between units then it’s just rubbish. I doubt that Godox’s manufacturing can be so lame that it can’t maintain within a 400k delta sample variation. Or maybe it’s just to cover their rear side. Or just that it’s what they’ve used on all their strobes and just published that spec out of habit.

38. williaty 3 months ago

Are the thermal limits any better than on the original AD600? I’ve been extremely frustrated at how often I drive the AD600 and AD200 into thermal protection mode with shooting I don’t consider especially rapid. The new, faster, recycle times don’t mean a whole lot if the strobe shuts down after the same number of pops as the old version did. Is there any data on this yet?

• John Wilson 3 months ago

Apologies for asking an obvious question but have you checked that you haven’t got the AD600 fan switched off?

With the AD200 have you tried using the AD-B2? The bulb is then separated from the body by a substantial heatsink which should help with overheating.

• mmmfotografie 3 months ago

The heat protection in the flash itself and not for the flashbulb. The fan in AD600 series will cool the electronics and on the AD600Pro has slits in the heatsink for the LED to force cool it.
        This is probably done for the users who want it as light for video.

To have this last option changes has been made that has influence on the numbers of flashes obtained from a battery charge.

Really strange decisions made by Godox to have extra features and offering basic functionality for that.

• John Wilson 3 months ago

Quite so. However some of the heat from the bulb will travel back into the body of the flash. Putting a heatsink in between will reduce that. It’s also possible you’ll get heat flow from the body of the flash forward to the AD-B2 (though that’s probably not a significant cooling effect).

I’d characterise this as “worth a try” 🙂

39. Andy 3 months ago

Bottom and side spigot hole in the stand handle?

There seems to be an alternative spigot hole that would allow the unit to be attached to a Superclamp or mini clamp to stand vertically.

Both clamps allow a spigot but it was impossible to find a 90 degree spigot without hacking together a DIY rig.

I have the AD600 and have always wanted to clamp the unit as a pack with the head extension.

I don’t like hanging it in a bag on a stand on location.

Any thoughts?

40. Ahmed Agbabiaka 3 months ago

I’m a big fan of the Xplor 600 and will probably pick up one of these. My question is, can I mix the Xplor 600 and Xplor 600 Pro when using the Flashpoint R2 or R2 Pro triggers? Also will the Godox Xpro trigger work with the Xplor?

UPDATE – The user manual is now available here – https://www.adorama.com/col/productManuals/FPLFX600PTB.pdf

• John Wilson 3 months ago

Looked at the colour temperature mode. The manual claims ±100K not ±75K. Also It appears to say that this mode is not available in TTL mode (It’s not 100% clear on this).

Also it’s not clear what happens to the modeling lamp brightness when you chose Prop in TTL mode.

• MTL 3 months ago

Besides in the manual it says that “When adjusting the power output from high to low in M mode, the flash ready indicator will blink, the audio beep will prompt for 10 times, indicating power bleed to stabilise the output”, which means that it uses similar technology as Broncolor’s ECTC to achieve these results (a mix between varying the voltage and cutting the flash curve) : http://hasselbladbron.com/blog/2010/01/broncolor-scoro-enhanced-color-temperature-control-ectc/

Since I believe that there can’t be TTL with voltage controlled capacitors, that’s probably why it isn’t available in TTL mode.

I don’t know how Profoto does it, but colour temperature variation across the power range isn’t different in TTL vs. manual.

42. John Wilson 3 months ago

I did read that bit but didn’t realise what it implied. Thanks for the link, it helps tremendously!

There seems to be an emerging pattern of a relationship between Godox and Broncolor. Broncolor use a modified version of the Godox X1 as triggers, Godox has introduced Wireless ID into its system which is a direct equivalent to Broncolor’s “Studio address” and now Godox appears to be using Broncolor’s patented colour control technique.

The article you pointed to says some systems use a small preflash to “warm up” the flash tube to maintain colour consistency – perhaps that’s what Profoto does.

43. MTL 3 months ago

“There seems to be an emerging pattern of a relationship between Godox and Broncolor.”

This new AD600 pro shares many design details with the Siros indeed.

“The article you pointed to says some systems use a small preflash to “warm up” the flash tube to maintain colour consistency – perhaps that’s what Profoto does”

I have no idea. That said since the newer ones are TTL strobes they also have an IGBT circuit to cut the flash curve. So voltage control + IGBT for Broncolor (or PCB Einstein), preflash + IGBT for Profoto ?

Elinchrom uses another approach with some of their lights (ELC, perhaps ELB1200 as well ?), they mix and switch capacitors so that the capacitors are always near full voltage when firing at each power output setting.

Basically there are various ways to achieve colour consistency across the power range apparently.

• John Wilson 3 months ago

“This new AD600 pro shares many design details with the Siros indeed.”

The bulb looks very similar too.

• John Wilson 3 months ago

The Siros doesn’t have a bulb as such. It has a flash tube and a removable class cover. Godox seems to have just fixed a plastic(?) base to the glass to make a bulb out of the tube in the glass. This makes sense because you need to be able to easily take the bulb out to use the remote head.

The old Mask function has been replaced with Units/ALT. You can now cycle between up to 4 devices (Mask just cycled between 2). I’d like to see that make its way to at least the AD200 and ideally to some of the smaller strobes. I’m unlikely to have 4 AD600s but I do have 4 AD200s.

44. Robert 3 months ago

Has anyone else noticed that many of the images on Adorama’s site and now in the manual are digital/photoshop images and not actual photographs of the product. Seems kind of odd given they are about to release product. Yet on the Godox site, those images seem to be actual photographs, at least some of them.

45. Andy 3 months ago

Do we know when Godox will be selling these in UK?

46. Ryan 3 months ago

I owned the ‘original’ Godox AD600 (BM), and while I did think it was great bang for your buck at the start, over time I did experience issues on shoots..

Mainly with misfiring (where it would get in a funk with not firing from the computer (tethered), then the X1-T transmitter ‘test’ still wouldn’t fire, then still not firing from the ‘test’ button on the actual AD600 main unit, etc., I have videos) and clients thought I/the gear was not pro, it was getting embarrassing! And also revising images (tethered in Capture One), we were noticing shots after each other with no settings or conditions changing, supposed to be exactly the same (model or product minuscule movements), that going back and forth between them, there were very noticeable Green/Magenta cast differences back and forth between shots, over and over, and on different shoots in completely different conditions too (slow shoots, not rapid fire at all). People mention the +/- 200 ‘temperature’ difference, but no one seems to be mentioning the lack of colour/color consistency in the Green/Magenta spectrum.. It was killing me in post production to get just the pre-selects to the clients all looking decent!
    (I experienced these issues whilst using the remote head, as that’s how I needed to use the light most times, and yes we tried swapping the remote head, same issues).

Other things I’d noticed with the Godox AD600 was how far back the exposed bulb had to sit with using the Bowens mount modifiers, losing at least half of the bulb’s length being hidden in the shaft of the mount, as opposed to spreading light outwards like it was meant to. Plus I think that also added a bit to the hot spot too. Also, 10w modelling lamp was too low.

This new Godox AD600 ‘PRO’ version looks and sounds like it’s addressing some of those issues.. straight away I can see that it has protruded bulb mount, getting it out and actually ‘into’ the modifier to spread the light properly, and also the new ‘PRO’ standard bulb has diffusion on the front surface, further helping with the hot spots. More importantly, very nice to hear they seem to be making an effort to refine the colour accuracy, I really hope that includes the Green/Magenta Tint ‘half’ of the spectrum, not just the Yellow/Blue Temperature side !?!?

I think getting their colour accuracy (and reliability) as close as possible to Broncolor/Profoto/etc is where the high end guys will start giving it some credit (even if only as a back up kit or ‘beach/outdoors’ kit), and in turn, get the lower-mid end buying like crazy.

Can’t wait to hear real world reviews, and see how much some of the changes actually matter either way, like:
    • the massive drop in battery capacity.. how many shots do we really get? (And in turn the real world use of the much smaller battery combined with the 38w modelling lamp). (heavier but lower battery capacity??)
    • Does using the flash/strobe light in “Stable Color Temperature Mode” affect any other way we use it? Like shooting/sync speeds/HSS etc??
    • most importantly.. is the Colour/Color Accuracy radically better than the AD600?

As well as the drop in battery capacity, also unfortunate to hear that there’s ‘only’ the TTL version available, most of us don’t use that AT ALL, and it makes it a few hundred $$$ more expensive, for something we don’t use!?! Which is the complete opposite of why we’re going for the lower priced lighting/options in the first place, to SAVE money, no!?!?
    (here in Australia, I think the Manual vs TTL versions of the current Godox AD600 are very roughly ~$800 (Manual) vs ~$1200 (TTL), both have HSS, which we DO use!)

As a very minor note, I’d like to see them add the option to change the way the power is displayed, using the fractions with decimal thirds of stops is just annoying and confusing (like 1/32 0.3), can they (and maybe major brand speedlights too), please just use the whole “stop” and “tenth’s of stops” decimal system like Broncolor etc? SOOO much easier to know where you’re at and where to head with power changes when trying not to lose the moment!!

47. John Wilson 3 months ago

Hi Ryan!
    Sorry to hear about your issues with the AD600. Were you tethered via a USB cable or using WiFi? If it was WiFi it might have been a RF interference problem which confused the AD600 or (more likely) the trigger on the camera.

I don’t think it’s a “massive” drop in battery capacity. The voltage has increased from 11.1V to 28.8V.

11.1V X 8700mAh is 96.6Wh
    28.2V X 2600mAh is 73.3Wh

If you go over 100Wh you can’t take the battery as cabin baggage on most airlines. I don’t know the spec of the cells they’ve used in the new battery but I would guess that adding another cell would have taken it over the 100Wh limit.

I’m pretty sure that TTL support is just a matter of some more code in the firmware. I don’t think there’s a manufacturing cost incurred to support it. I would imagine that Godox has given up making new HSS only devices (the AD200 is not available in HSS only mode).

• Ryan 3 months ago

Hi John,
      No, I was definitely tethered via USB, always. And even if it was WiFi, that wouldn’t explain why going over to the AD600BM unit and manually pressing the ‘Test’ button still didn’t work.

Thanks for explaining how the voltage difference relates to the miliAmpHours difference. I thought it was only the latter that gave you the run time, no? Either way, they’re saying ~360 full power shots from the AD600Pro, down from ~500 Full Power shots from the AD600BM etc. So that’s still a pretty decent drop! like only 72% of the previous model.

To me it means the difference of definitely having to buy a 2nd battery ‘just incase’, where previously I’d never actually gotten to the end of a full charge on the AD600BM, even from longer shoots (~750 shots at around 1/16th-1/32nd power).

On the TTL just being firmware.. really?!?! Then why were they selling here for about 150% of the price, like $400 more for the TTL version? Just for firmware? And why then couldn’t people just install the firmware for the TTL version onto their non-TTL/HSS only version? I find that very had to believe that there’s no hardware differences between the two!

Main point on the TTL, I/We don’t want to be paying for features we don’t really use, especially seeing as that’s why we’re buying a cheaper brand/product.. to save as much money as possible! And that’s what the price difference between the two AD600’s, non-TTL and TTL, showed us, that the TTL was ‘meant to’ be worth $400! No thanks!!

Once they start going up more in price, people start looking at 2nd hand Profoto B1’s etc instead… Which gets you back into a conversation about Colour Consistency and Longevity and future repairability (and in turn resale value) etc..

I wonder if the ‘Big Brands’ will ever start looking at remote heads for their battery powered flash/strobe units? Would be great to see remote heads for the Profoto B1/B1x and the Broncolor Siros L units!! Now those would be some game levelling changes for functionality!

Hi Ryan!

Before I start thel me see if I have your problem right:

You’re shooting tethered using a USB connection and firing an AD600 via an X1T trigger on the hotshoe of your camera. Things work OK until suddenly the AD600 doesn’t fire. If you fire the camera, pres the test button on the trigger or press the test button on the AD600 nothing happens. If you switch the AD600 off and on again it starts working OK again.

Q1 Is that what happens, is there any other detail I’ve missed?

Q2 does this ever happen when you’re not shooting tethered? If so doe it happen as frequently?

Q3 when the AD600 is in this failed state fire does the menu navigation work?

Q4 (I’m sure the answer is yes but I’ll ask anyway) Have you checked that the firmware for the trigger and the AD600 are both up to date?

If you can answer these questions for me I may be able to suggest some experiments you could try and some steps you might take to mitigate the problem.

As for TTL – There are three participants in the TTL dance. The camera which is very clever, the trigger which is quite clever and the strobe which is not so clever.

With TTL the camera gets each TTL group (some support 3 TTL groups some 5) to fire a low powered flash so it can meter the relative power of each group to the ambient and to each other. It then calculates what power each group would have to emit to properly light the subject and tells each group what power to use and then fires all the groups.

The camera does this by talking to the trigger sitting on its hotshoe. Each manufacturer talks to the trigger in a different way. That’s why you have a manufacturer specific trigger. So the trigger gets all these commands from the camera and turns them into radio commands which gets sent to the strobes. The radio commands are defined by Godox and are the same for all camera brands. So the Canon trigger will send exactly the same commands as the Nikon trigger so (with one exception) the strobe doesn’t care what camera is being used.

Because there’s variation in camera manufacturers TTL implementation the strobe will need to know some camera specific information. Things like the power it need to use for the preflash flash and probably the time it need to wait between getting a preflash command and actually preflashing. However this information is fixed for each camera manufacturer and can be embedded in the firmware. It just has to know what camera it’s talking to. So part of the data the trigger sends to the strobe is the manufacturer ID of the camera.

To implement TTL the strobe need only to be able to emit a low powered preflash at a particular time before the main flash. It’s conceivable that you might have to have extra hardware (an extra, small, capacitor perhaps) but I think it’s extremely unlikely.

The AD600 hardware certainly does differ between to TTL and non TTL version but I think that’s just cosmetic (they have different coloured screen, for example).

You can’t flash the TTL firmware on the non TTL version because there’s a check by the updater on the model being updated (this is a good thing otherwise you could brick an AD600 by mistakenly flashing the AD200 firmware).

WARNING: all the above is speculation on my part. I’m a software guy not a hardware expert and there could well be something I’ve missed.

48. mmmfotografie 3 months ago

Not firing when tethered is due to a setting in the camera and I don’t remember right now which one.

I am happy the the comments here ae not stuck anymore and that new are shown.

49. mmmfotografie 3 months ago

Entered it in Google and the results told that an enabled “silent mode” of the camera spoils a correct workings of the flash.

50. mmmfotografie 3 months ago

Estimated date of sale is middle of March……..2018.

• Robert 3 months ago

Where did you get that info from? Adorama is stating the end of Jan.

• mmmfotografie 3 months ago

I found this date on the site where the Pixapro CITI600 Pro is sold.

Nice to see some video’s of the AD600Pro and in the compare you can see how bad the design of the orignal AD600 is to the AD600Pro.

The loose fitting of the reflector/softbox because Godox is using flimsy materials is a bit repaired by putting rubbery bits under the springs so that the rubber is taking the force and not the flimsy metal lips. Lets hope that the AD600Pro is more stable on that part.

• John Wilson 3 months ago

They have just turned up on eBay

• mmmfotografie 3 months ago

Which turn did they take because I could not find them?