YONGNUO YN-622N-TX – Flash Controller for NIKON – Now Available!

YongNuo have released the long awaited YN-622N-TX Flash Controller for Nikon, and they are available now from just $63.

The YN-622N-TX transmitter acts as a master control unit to the popular YN-622N ITTL and Remote Manual transceivers, providing more functions and a far more user friendly built-in LCD user interface.

Also adding a USB port for firmware updates, which is major advantage over the current triggers. The improved YN-622N-TX also enhances stability, as well as improving information transmission speeds.

YongNuo YN-622N-TX

• Remote Shutter Release Function
  • Dedicated Buttons for Fast Adjustments
  • Battery Level Indicator
  • PC Sync Port
  • Improved Stability and Transmission Speed
  • SuperSync Manual Timing Adjustment by Group
  • Flash Value Lock function (FVL)
  • Modeling Flash & Red-Eye Reduction flash
  • Settings Saved Automatically
  • PC Port Input
  • Up To 100M Range
  • Basic Trigger Mode for Non Nikon Cameras (with standard hotshoe, max sync speed is 1/250s)

YongNuo YN-622N-TX

The ability to mix TTL and Manual groups is a major advancement, and puts the YN-622-TX up there with the Phottix Odin and Pixel King Pro for functionality.

Improved stability and transmission speed is another upgrade, and should also help with the Nikon SB-800 flash, which has had some issues with the YN-622N previously due to its slower processing speeds than later Nikon flashes.

SuperSync Manual Timing Adjustment by Group is another significant new feature, allowing different studio lights to be used together at sync speeds above the camera X-sync.

The YN-622N-TX includes both N1 and N3 shutter release cables –

• 1 x LS-2.5/N1 Shutter Connecting Cable
  • 1 x LS-2.5/N3 Shutter Connecting Cable

YN-622N-TX Shutter Release Cords N1 & N3

A nice video review here by David Carrico.

Compatible cameras –

Nikon: D70, D70S, D80, D90, D200, D300S, D600, D700, D800, D3000, D3100, D3200, D5000, D5100, D5200, D5300, D7000, D7100,

Although not listed (or tested) by YongNuo, a number of reports have confirmed the D3s and D4 are also working well.

Compatible Slave Flash Units

There are currently no flashes with YN-622N-TX compatible receiver built in. Any slave flash fired via radio will require a YN-622N attached as a receiver unit.

UPDATE – The YN685 For Nikon with YN-622N compatible radio receiver built inside are now available.

Nikon ITTL compatible flash units SB-400, SB-600, SB-700, SB-800, SB-900, SB-910.

YongNuo Compatible flashes are any of the EX series for Nikon (except the YN-560 EX) –

YN685 – ITTL and HSS, with YN622N compatible radio receiver built inside.
YN-568EX
 – ITTL and HSS – (but no HV Battery Port)
YN-565EX – ITTL and HV Battery Port – (but no HSS)

Firmware Updates –

There have been a number of firmware updates tweaking small issues and adding features.

Please see the YongNuo Website here (bottom of the page) for the latest firmware and updater software.

PRICE AND AVAILABILITY –

YN-622N-TX for Nikon are available now from around $45 –

YN-622N-TX – Amazon, YongNuo AmazonUK, Ebay, YongNuo Ebay, Adorama, B&H Photo

YN622N II – AmazonYongNuo Amazon, UK, Ebay, YongNuo Ebay, Adorama, B&H Photo

YongNuo – Website

1. JoeC 4 years ago

Just ordered mine. Can’t wait for it to arrive!! Thanks for the heads-up. It’s not posted on their yongnuo.cn corporate site yet nor their hkyongnuophotoequipment eBay store.

Thanks Joe,

They would only have a limited quantity which go to other sellers first. The YongNuo Ebay store may not even list them until after the Chinese Spring Festival holidays. They appear to be out of YN-E3-RT as well.

Let us know how you go! Thanks.

• JoeC 4 years ago

I forgot to mention that I downloaded the user manual as well so that I can get up and running quickly while I’m waiting for the shipment to arrive. It seems pretty straight forward. It looks like you can quickly make group and exposure changes.

2. Felipe 4 years ago

I’m trying to figure out if I should go with the Pixel King Pro or YN-622N-TX. Are you guys planning on posting any direct comparisons? Thanks!

Hi Felipe,

I’ll see what I can put together. They are fairly similar in that they both control 3 groups, with mixed TTL and Remote Manual. But then they are quite different as well, as the King Pro are always the master interface, even with a flash on camera.

The first thing generally to consider though is which flashes you intend to use? If that includes YongNuo flashes, then you’re better off with the YongNuo triggers if possible. Unless there’s really some feature you need which only the Kings have. Thanks.

• Felipe 4 years ago

Thanks for the quick reply! I currently have 3 Nikon flashes (2 SB600 and 1 SB900) but lately I’ve felt foolish for not buying the YongNuo flashes because they seem like such a great value.

I’ve also been contemplating switching to strobes.. maybe elinchrom in the future.

Hi Felipe,

It sounds like you have already decided on the YongNuo gear as mentioned further below.

But they are likely the better choice anyway if you’re thinking of moving to Elinchrom later. As you could use the SuperSync timing to make the most of some higher sync speeds.

But also the YN-622 are half the cost, so if you end up not using the TTL function, or trading to Elinchrom triggers, its very little loss.

3. Armin 4 years ago

Thanks for these good news!

4. Marcelo 4 years ago

Do you know if Yongnuo will release a Canon version?

Hi Marcelo,

Yes there is a Canon version coming as well. It would have to at least be after the Chinese Spring Festival at the earliest now though. Thanks.

• Mark 4 years ago

I thought the Canon version was the YN-E3-RT transmitter which is already out? I’m confused.

Hi Mark,

No YongNuo have 2 separate systems running for Canon (and you could almost say a 3rd system with the YN-560 III which will be more universal).

The YN-E3-RT is currently only compatible with the latest Canon RT compatible units. Which as of right now is only the Canon 600EX-RT flash unit.

The YN-622C-TX and YN-622C receiver will work with any of the previous Canon EX ETTL flashes.

If you want to use the 600EX-RT with the YN-622C-TX, then you would still need a YN-622C receiver attached to the 600EX-RT foot.

One system is directly using Canon’s own radio (RT) system.

The other is using Canon’s old optic wireless system, and communicating through that via radio instead of optic. They will likely never be directly compatible, but its pretty clever of YongNuo to tap into the RT system which will likely be more of the way forward for Canon into the future.

5. Michael 4 years ago

Can this unit be used to trigger the 560EX III flash units?

Hi Michael,

You can only trigger the YN-560 III flashes via radio if you attach a YN-622N to the flash as a receiver unit. And then that will only simply fire the flash, no remote manual power control or anything like that.

If you don’t have the flash already, from around $100 now the YN-565EX are a more suitable option for the YN-622N-TX and YN-622N receiver. As they allow full remote manual power control and ITTL (just no HSS). Thanks

• Greg 4 years ago

I have a YN-622C and RF-603 II.
        Lamps YN-560 III, YN 568EX. I would like a trigger that could control manual power these lamps…

Using multiple triggers is pointless, if I buy in the future YN 600EX-RT, it would be stupid, 3 different triggers.

Maybe firmware update will add this feature to the YN-622?

Hi Greg,

Unfortunately its pretty unlikely these systems will ever be compatible. From what the more technical among us are saying they would need to have the same radio processor chip to communicate at all. You can read some of the discussion here.

Nikon users at least only have the one TTL system for now. That leaves high hopes YN will build a YN-622N receiver into flashes next (as an alternative to the Canon compatible YN-600EX-RT flash).

6. Echeverry Images 4 years ago

Hi Flash Havoc,

Good news it is finally here. Do you know if the flash would work with a NISSIN Di866 markII, provided of course that I use the YN-622N transceiver?

Hope you can shine some light on that!

cheers

Hi Echeverry,

Going back through my notes I can’t actually find any confirmation of this. Its pretty likely it will work to a large degree, but that’s not to say there may not be some quirks.

With the Canon YN-622C and Nissin Di866 II, they often needed a full factory reset of all the triggers, flash, and cleared camera settings to get all the functions working with the Di866 II.

Hopefully another YN-622N and Di866 II user can help confirm for you.

• Echeverry Images 4 years ago

Ah thnx so much for diving into this for me…I could not find anything myself. What would a factory reset consist of?

Actually all I ask for is one seemingly simple thing out of this configuration: Manual Remote Control. I like my CLS system except for the range and line of sight issues. I mainly shoot models in non-studio locations. If the YN-622 TX can offer me Manual Remote Control than I can continue my shooting workflow as I have it now and get more creative in my lightning options.

Cheers

flavors.me/echeverryimages

You would have to check the Nissin user manual for factory reset on those.

For the YN-622 – Hold down the [CH SET] and [GP SET] buttons at the same time until state indicators blink 3 times in red – green alternately then change to keep lighting (red), release all buttons and the factory reset is complete.

Makes sure to do reset all YN-622 units though.

If you just want remote manual control, (and possibly HSS) the Godox V850 don’t cost all that much more than the YN triggers alone. If you traded the Nissin you could get a quite a few of them. And they are brilliant flashes with super simple remote power control.

• Echeverry Images 4 years ago

I’m actually eying the Wistro, that would give me more power without compromising on portability. Thnx for your advice.

• Steve of Oz 4 years ago

I have used the original Nissin Di866 with the 622n’s and it works well. Couldn’t get the Nissin to work as a commander though.

Thanks for that confirmation Steve!

Hi Felipe,

That is correct. But you could save a few dollars buying the two YN-622N as a pair.

7. hugo 4 years ago

Should’t the Transmitter work with Nokon’s D3 and D4 cameras too?

Hi Hugo,

They probably will, but there is no guarantee at this point until people can test and confirm this.

YongNuo didn’t test with these bodies with the YN-622N so they didn’t list them as compatible, but they did work ok anyway. So this is likely why they are not listed at this stage.

• Hugo 4 years ago

I don’t think that this is a testing issue but a question of funktionality.

The reason, why the YN-622Ns weren’t supported was due to missing master control on the Nikon D3 and D4s. These cameras do not have an integrated Flash and miss the menus to control the YN-622N slaves.

But the YN-622N transceivers are reported to worked with Nikon’s SU-800 master or any SB Flash unit. I just wonder, how this could work, since Nikon uses Infrared signals and Yongnuos use wirless signals for master-slave communication.

Anyway – at least in a pure Yongnuo Environment – the new YN-622N-TX transmitter and the well known YN-622N Transceivers should bring full master-slave control to Nikon D3 and D4 professional cameras.

Hugo,
          The SU-800 and SB Flashes work as Master/Controller because the 622Ns have a full TTL passthrough hotshoe. Therefore the communication from the SU/SB goes electronically between SU-SB, YN622N and the camera, and then over radio signal from the 622N transceiver to all of the 622Ns acting as receivers.

I personally have no info if all this works on D3/D4 (but sounds like others have had good luck), …..

Hope this info helps

Yes, as David says, this is not related to camera menu issues, as the master is an external unit.

YongNuo said it was just due to lack of testing with the YN-622N and D3 / D4s etc.

• mark 4 years ago

I could never get the YN-622 to work/fire with my D3s/D4 & SB900 consistently. They would work one moment and not the next.

• Sergio 4 years ago

Hugo, I don´t know if you bought the YN-622N transceivers to make them work on a D3 body, I did and they worked flawlesly, so I also ordered one YN-622N TX to make the try, I think as the transceivers worked fine I still have my doubts if the TX will work, but thinking well and positive, the TX will work just fine on a D3 body.

8. David C 4 years ago

Awesome, just ordered. Surprised its available the day of announcement, but I’m not going to complain! Can’t wait to free up the SB-900 I was using as my controller…….. Hope it works well :-).

9. David C 4 years ago

By the way, I hope someone with a Cheetah Light 360 will get one and let us know how well it works with it in SuperSync/HSS mode……

Hi David,

Now that it has timing adjustment it should work great with the Cheetah Light and even the Godox V850.

What I have been doing with the Odins is to put the FT-16 transmitter on an Odin receiver. That way I only need to use one Odin receiver to fire all the Witstro/V850. Which works great. The YN-622N-TX should be even better because you can set the timing for just that one group, and leave your regular HSS TTL flashes at the standard timing so they work well at the same time.

• donovan 4 years ago

i have godox flash series, ad360, ving v850 and xenergizer. i use the YN 622N to work with HSS mode and it works flawlessly with my Nikon D7100. i even only use it with single unit YN 622N that placed on my camera hotshoe. the godox ft-16 transmitter placed on the yn 622N hot shoe. so i dont need YN 622n to act as receiver on the other ends. i see no black bar until 1/8000.

Hi donovan,

Thanks for that. A few people have now mentioned the YN-622N works just by placing the FT-16 transmitter on top, with no extra receivers needed.

That’s great news, and I need to update the triggering post.

But also using a timing adjustment (like the YN-622N-TX now has) its possible to get up to a stop more light in the frame, even if you were not seeing any black banding to start with. That’s not always the case, but there’s a good chance it will help.

• donovan 4 years ago

hi flash havoc,

i’ve tried using Phottix odin with the ODS feature. the best result is when the ODS value 0.0 and it has very identical result by using YN 622N stacked with ft-16. so i think no need to adjust the timing further more. in my opinion, the advantage of having this time adjustment is more for canon user.

i have tried this stacking method with pixel king and pixel king pro and it works perfectly too. but only in nikon body.
            some are tried this on canon system and failed.

Thanks donovan.

I can’t get the simple stacked FT-16 TX on top of the YN-622C on camera to work for Canon either unfortunately. But placing the FT-16 TX on top of a YN-622C as receiver works ok.

Timing adjustment may not just be an advantage on Canon, it really varies between camera models as well. I’m not getting any advantage over the Cells II with the Odin and V850 though. I haven’t compared the YN-622C yet.

• David C 4 years ago

Interesting, great to hear – your post is the first I’ve seen proving out the theory that the YN 622Ns will work with the Godox system for HSS. I guess you learned the button settings on the YN 622Ns 🙂 (I haven’t – always used my SB-910 as controller). Have you ever tried it with a YN-622N as a receiver on the flash to see how the HSS works in that situation? I’m primarily interested in your experience wight eh ad360 (I would like to control the flash output manually with the Godox trigger hand held, but use either a 622N-TX or combo 622N/SB-910 as the trigger)…..

• Armin 4 years ago

I use a D700 with attached 622N as a a trigger with attached FT-16 on top. The Godox AD360 is triggered with the FT-16, but 622N as a reciever would be possible as well, also for HSS. The other SB-910 have a 622N as reciever attached.

• Donovan Dennis 4 years ago

Hi David,

I have tried using the YN622N as receiver also and it works great. But mostly i use more than 1 flash in my setup (in this case i have 2 AD360 to work with), so it will cost me 3 YN622N to trigger all my AD360 (1 as TX and 2 as RX). So i let my Godox trigger to do the triggering job and one YN 622N to calculate HSS timing. I think it is the advantage of Nikon user to use this “stacking method” to work in HSS mode. In your case maybe it is very similiar with what Armin said in comment bellow.

Regards,

Donovan

• David C 4 years ago

I read this wrong the first time I read it (and did the same thing with some of the other posts). So I could just piggyback a FT-16 on top of a spare YN-622N acting as a receiver.. That is brilliant, and pretty cool that it works from a timing perspective. Before reading this post, I thought I would have to string a YN-622N into the 360’s sync port. Glad I reread your post….

10. Greig 4 years ago

Just ordered mine and can’t wait to play with it.
    Looking at the shutter release function and got thinking if you could use this in a similar fashion to the PW remote camera trick.
    My Idea world be to use a second 622N TX on a second body (or could you use a Nikon SU-800 with a 622 under) to take a shot hand held. Would the second body fire.
    OR, is it as simple as placing a 622N on the hand held body to fire the second remote body with the 622N TX attached. I’ll worry about where I mount flashes once I configure the remote firing of a camera from another body.
    Think sports photography, remote camera behind the Soccer goals taking shots when you are standing on the sideline with your main camera.

11. Jay 4 years ago

My wife shoots Nikon and I shoot Canon. We use Yongnuo flashes such as 568EX Canon version. As you know that flash works on camera as Canon ETTL only and off camera it can be fired via Nikon’s iTTL wireless system and Canons ETTL wireless system.

So my question is, when a YN-568EX is mounted on a 622N receiver does the flash think that it’s now on top of a camera or is it somehow still able to use the wireless triggering of both Nikon and Canon.

Flash on camera = ETTL only and flash fired wirelessly = both ETTL and iTTL compatibility so will this 622N/622N-TX combo work with my YN-568EX Canon flashes? Thanks and sorry if that was confusing.

Hi Jay,

That makes sense, but unfortunately no the YN-622N will not work with YN-568EX Canon version flashes.

As you said the flash thinks its on top of a camera when mounted on top of the YN-622N. There is no connection with the optic wireless systems, and the optic system can’t be used while the radio system is being used.

An optic to radio bridge like the RadioPopper PX, or inexpensive Aokatec AK-TTL will work with both systems just as the optic wireless does. But even then not at the same time.

Something like the YN-E3-RT will work in remote manual only, on the Nikon camera, and full function obviously on the Canon camera (using the same 600EX-RT flashes).

Or something like the Godox V850 will work as remote manual on anything, and allow HSS with Canon and Nikon, provided you have a HSS enabled transmitter on the camera. These type of manual systems will become much more popular now due to people mixing different camera systems with mirrorless cameras.

But having both ETTL and ITTL, or other TTL systems as well is not very likely. Thanks.

• Jay 4 years ago

That’s what I suspected, I just wasn’t sure if even though it was mounted to the shoe of the flash that it may somehow be emulating the optical wireless TTL method. I think I’m still going to pull the trigger on one of these.

Thanks very much for you fast reply!

12. Grabus 4 years ago

I’ve read that it supports wireless shutter release function. How it is going to work with YN-622? Test button should be pressed on the YN-622 or what?

• JoeC 4 years ago

Page 13 of the User Manual says the following (literally):

“Shutter release Function
      ŸUse the YN-622N transceiver for wireless transmitting, the YN-622N-TX controller as the shutter signal output.
      1).Install the YN-622N-TX controller on the camera’s hot shoe, and use LS-2.5 series shutter connecting cable(may additional purchases) to connect the controller and camera.
      2).Long press the [TEST] button of YN-622N transceiver to focus, loosen the [TEST] button to shot. If the flash installed on the YN-622N transceiver, the flash will fire synchronously.
      Ÿ* Support single shot only.
      Ÿ* If the controller does not installed on the compatible camera’s hot shoe, the shutter will release when pressing the [TEST] button of transceiver.”

The full manual is here: http://yongnuo.com.cn/usermanual/pdf/YN-622N-TX_Usermanua_EN_CN.pdf

13. Vardhan 4 years ago

Dear Flashhavoc,

I’ve been reading all the fantastic reviews posted by you and thank you for educating a novice like me.
    But the fact is that the more I read the more I get confused about what to purchase.

I have a Nikon 7000 + SB910 flash and am contemplating purchasing another not so expensive flash. While the decision between TTL vs Non TTL flash has been extremely difficult ( primarily due to budget constraint and a need for radio triggers ) , the introduction of new product launches has made the decision making process more difficult for me . I read in your other article that Godox V180 is the best product of 2013 having remote power control which helped me rule out YN560III from the race.
    What would be your advice to me for purchasing other inexpensive flashe(s) so that I could leverage my existing investment in SB910 without getting into compatibility issues and without overspending ? I’m a newbie and still learning and i have been scratching my head b/w YN565EX or 560III and now Godox V180. The cost of TTL flash + Triggers like this one makes things expensive for multiple flashes. Please advice and help.

I cannot thank for more

Vardhan,

I am obviously not Flash Havoc but I’ll give you my opinion and my experience. Everyone is different and there are so many choices. My advice would be to go with either the ODIN system (mature and continues to expand) or the Yongnuo YN-622N system now that they have the TX (you can also always use your SB-910 on top of a YN-622N as a controller if you need to also). Here is my novice analysis:
      ODINs
      – Mature and feature rich
      – Flexible (everything is firmware upgradable and they have a history of providing new features through upgrades like HyperSync)
      – If I remember correctly, I think the range on the ODIN is something like a few hundred meters, whereas the Yongnuo’s are up to 100M
      – Continues to expand system (Mitros flash with controller built in available – which mitigates one of the minor downsides of the ODIN system in that it doesn’t support putting one of the flashes on camera since the controller does not have a passthrough.
      – Other downside is they are what I would say is mid-priced. Not as expensive as the radio poppers and Pocket Wizards, but not the cheapest either.

YN-622N System:
      – Now with the TX, they have a complete system that they continue to expand.
      – One of the most inexpensive systems around for full TTL, plus manual control
      – feature rich, and continues to expand system (TX has super sync, firmware upgradable)
      – Con is that although the TX is firmware upgradeable, the 622N receivers are not.
      – If the TX goes on the fritz on a shoot, you can use one of the receivers on camera, plop your SB-910 on top and control all of the groups through the SB-910. That also gives you on camera flash while still using triggers.
      – Cons – this doesn’t sound like it will affect you, but the receivers do have some issues with SB-800s where it will only control them in manual mode, not full TTL.

Personally I have the YN-622 system and am very happy with it, especially now that the TX is available. If I was to do it all over again, I would have probably gone with the ODIN, but the choice still would have been difficult.

On compatibility with 3rd party flashes, I am not sure any of them are great in supporting full TTL for a wide range of flashes (someone else would have to comment on that), so what I did was I found a few slightly used SB-600s on Craigslist for around $100 each. I figure that gives me flexibility for changing systems later, as vendors are still baking SB-600 support into their Nikon support (you might be able to get good deals on used SB-700s soon too since they have been out a little while now). But if you are not worried about switching in the future, both Yongnuo and Phottix have solid flashes that work with their respective systems and really good prices when compared to Nikon….

Of course if you don’t mind physically walking up to the strobes to adjust, there are a ton of cheap, great flashes out there, so my comments/suggestions above were when you want to set up, walk away and control everything from the controller…..

Anyway, there are people on here with a lot more experience than me, so take the above for what it is worth. The key is to just get out there, shoot, experiment, learn and enjoy!!!

14. Vardhan 4 years ago

David,

I cannot thank you more your your time and all the effort you have put in to make my life easier.
    When I look at strobist.com , I’m amazed at the stunning pictures people are taking with cheap manual flashes. Since I haven’t yet used them I don’t know how difficult it is for them to arrive at those final stunning results or how many iterations of changing the settings are done before arriving at an acceptable snap or if the pictures are post processed. I do understand that a lot of credit goes to the light modifies as well. So even if I purchase a relatively cheap manual flash I will still need to allocate funds for that.

The cost of Phottix Odin TTL Flash Trigger for Nikon, + 2 Receivers = 399 USD + 75 USD for a flash to be able to photograph at night or post sunset when the optical sensor of my SB910 stops responding if not in line of sight. The problem is that I stay in India and order these product from the US or Ebay or buy when I come to US. If anything does not work , there is no service support or return process in India. So even though Phottix Mitros+ may be a great product, if my unit is defective , I’ll be stuck after spending 299 or 399 USD. That is the primary reason I’m looking for YN or Godox or Newer products. Even if they don’t work , I would have lost only around USD 100.

An old SB 710 can be found around 250 USD here. But again it wont have a radio trigger and two sets of YN622N will add the cost by another 170 USD on top of investing in decent light modifiers which become a bit too much for an enthusiasts considering 1 USD = 63 Indian Rupees. I don’t want to spend everything at the same time but would like to gradually build these assets , thus the focus on reigning the costs.

Even if I have manual flash and a radio trigger with the capability to manually control the power , I would be happy. But since I have purchased an SB910 ( used one, almost new, at a reasonable price ) I wonder if mixing multiple manual with SB 910 would be a good idea or should I sell my SB910 ( don’t want to part with it. Its awesome ) and purchase cheaper flashes which fits my budget. I do take a lot of photographs of my two very young kids who don’t give me a second chance. That makes me think that I cannot let go the convenience of the TTL feature.

When it comes to adding new flashes, cost becomes a major factor due to these radio triggers.
    Perhaps I should purchase two more manual flashes with in built radio receiver and a trigger which could control the power and use it when I need radio triggering feature and when I’m doing portraiture when i have enough time and still keep a TTL for those difficult moments ( and of course , use it as optical slave or something else during portraiture for a three flash setup ) .
    This strategy wont let my cost shoot up in these times when products are getting updated every year and we get more time to think on what needs to be done , in case I decide to take my hobby to the next level. Do you see any flaw in this plan ?

Vardhan,

given your situation, I would go with the YN-622Ns. I am not sure where you got your pricing, they are only about $89/pair. If you got to $170 by assuming 1 TX and 3 622Ns, then that makes sense. From a flash perspective, I would look for a used SB-600, or a new version of one of the Yongnuo flashes in Nikon version (it says you can control the Canon versions of the Yongnuo flashes off camera using CLS, but that is just when using the optical CLS, not when using radio receivers). I am not an expert at Yongnuo Nikon flashes, but I imagine you should be able to pick up a Yongnuo flash that can be controlled off camera with the 622Ns for less than $100……

With that set up, you could have 3 off camera flashes and the triggers for a total of about $370 ($170 for triggers and $200 for two additional flashes). If you want to spend less, I think you’ll have to go with triggers/flashes that don’t have ttl or can be controlled from the TX. Good luck in your quest….

Hi Vardhan,

Davids already given some good advice there. The YN-622N would be a good way to integrate your SB-910 and add extra flashes and receivers as needed, with the option of full TTL and HSS if needed.

Regarding TTL, that is mainly only needed if you’re doing run and gun style work like wedding or events, where you can’t set up lights, and you may have no control of positioning the subjects etc. Or if you have a subject that’s constantly moving.

For most of the staged shots you see on strobist, manual is often easier because the light remains consistent from shot to shot. But remote manual control can be a huge help.

Regarding the Godox V850. Firstly I absolutely love them because of the Lithium-Ion battery. And for remote manual and HSS they are just brilliant.

Where it gets difficult is trying to integrate other lights like your SB-910. You could simply fire that via a Cells II attached as a receiver. But no remote control or HSS etc then.

If you still want remote control with the SB-910, the way to go would be using the YN-622N again. But at that point you would have to start to question if it wouldn’t be better to go with YN-565EX or YN-568EX etc.

The answer to integrating TTL flashes is really going to come down to using all the same brand eventually. Godox will have the Canon version ETTL V850 coming likely around March now, and the Nikon version should follow. But we don’t know yet if those will actually integrate with the manual V850.

So its all still a little up in the air at the moment if you need integrated TTL. But for 90% of strobist style work (if you’re not doing wedding etc) the V850 are brilliant, and even better in some ways to the higher priced TTL options.

If you do go with the V850, you could possible even just use the optic slave in the SB-910 for now to fire that as well, as the optic slave in those are pretty decent. I say that because we also don’t know what Godox will have in the way of triggers coming either. You could buy a Cells II for Canon just to fire the SB910 for now, but if money is tight it may be worth at the least waiting for the Nikon version (so the could be used as a HSS capable transmitter as well).

15. Ranalli 4 years ago

If this unit is coupled with a YN-622N receiver can I adjust the manual settings on my 560II remotely? I don’t even really need TTL…just the ability to keep adjusting without having to continually open up multiple softboxes.

On a sidenote, I love this site…fantastic that this place is dedicated to these triggers which have made quality off-camera lighting more reachable for many.

I’ve been using the Yongnuo 603 manual triggers for a while now…rock-solid and no issues with either my Yongnuo 560II flashes or my Nikon SB700s.

Hi Ranalli,

Thanks for that, unfortunately the YN-560 II do not have any remote ability built into them at all.

The YN-560 III do actually have remote manual control built-in, but that will only work with a new dedicated transmitter (which should arrive eventually).

But the YN-560 III are unfortunately still not compatible with any of YongNuo’s other systems like the YN-622. You can see more discussion on that here.

So that has really left no incentive to not go with something like the Godox V850 instead. Because that has remote power control already, and YN-560 III will be just as much work to try and combine with other YongNuo triggers like the YN-622.

Of course both companies will have new offerings down the track, so it will be interesting to see how their systems develop. How integrated the Godox system will be is still a bit of an unknown. The YN-560 III seems to be a bit of a dead end at this stage as far as integration goes though.

Flash Havoc,

Since Yongnuo have historically been Canon focused, some of their text on flashes is a bit confusing. That isn’t really helped by the fact that some of their Canon models support Nikon’s optical CLS when used remotely (nice, but not real helpful in today’s radio trigger world).

Anyway, can you confirm that when they say something is a Nikon model like the Yongnuo ‘YN-565EX Nikon’ and the ‘YN-568 EX Nikon’ that those support Nikon’s TTL when on camera, and that those should be able to be controlled remotely with the use of the 622N?.

For instance, my assumption is that any flash that accurately supports Nikon’s on-camera TTL, should conceptually be compatible with remote control from the YN-622N (although as we see even with Nikon’s SB-800 where it isn’t compatible with TTL off camera with the YN-622N – ‘theory’ doesn’t always turn out to be true). Where I am going with this though, is that the Nikon versions of the YN-565 and the YN-568 that are currently available should work under full remote control when there is a YN-622N attached as a receiver and when you have a 622N or a 622N-TX on the camera, right?

Hi David,

Any of the YongNuo TTL flashes are fully compatible with the respective YN-622.

( That is except for the YN-560EX which is a single firing pin optic wireless TTL slave flash only ).

The older 4 series models (YN-465, YN467, YN-468 etc) are pretty old technology though, so that really only leaves the YN-565EX and YN-568EX as good options available for Nikon YN-622N at the moment.

The SB-800 are “supposed” to be working fine as slave flashes on the YN-622N, just not as a master. Though I’m not sure that some people still had issues with them as slaves as well.

But the YN-622N-TX has faster processing and I would assume lower latency again, so that is supposed to help make up for the SB-800’s slow processing, and improve their function with he YN-622N-TX and YN-622N combination.
          I know it gets confusing, and I often forget that people may not know that I’m referring to the radio side of things 99% of the time. If I’m ever referring to the optic wireless or CLS/AWL I’d definitely mention that as it would be the exception. Not that there’s anything wrong with optic systems within their limitations.

• David N 4 years ago

I have (3) SB-800’s and (4) YN-622N units. I have a SU-800 as well.
            I have never had an issue with an SB-800 on a YN-622N, in either TTL or manual mode. They have been reliable and consistent. The problem that some people seem to have is getting them securely in place in the shoe. If you do not push the flash into the receiver’s shoe completely, it will not work consistently. I’ve seen people make that mistake.
            I use the SU-800 to control them, and it has been reliable when mounted on a YN-622N. I ordered the 622-TX the other day, and plan to compare the two. I am hoping that the TX is good enough to make me no longer use the SU-800.

• Ranalli 4 years ago

So, just so I’m clear to this works only a TTL based trigger(YN-622) AND a TTL based flash such as the YN-568EX or the Nikon ones such as SB-700s….correct?

And I could use all those flashes in a remotely control manual mode if needed…correct?

Ranalli – That is correct, and you can mix TTL and remote manual groups at the same time if needed.

• Ranalli 4 years ago

That is awesome…thank you. Just the fact that I wouldn’t have to keep opening and closing the softboxes anymore is a huge win and timesaver during a shoot.

16. Vardhan Kale 4 years ago

A very big thanks to DAVID & FLASH HAVOC for their guidance and invaluable thoughts.

17. Thomas Geist 4 years ago

A big question for me is: how does this system work cross-brand?

Can I trigger and control a Canon Mitros+ with a Nikon Mitros+ or Nikon Odin? And vice versa?
    Of course TTL and HSS functions are excluded from this – we don’t want to go too far. But power control, groups etc. … ?

This is one of the few nice functions of PocketWizard’s ControlTL devices. They DO work cross brand. Power control works flawlessly (if it works, he he). This and the ability to fire AND power control Einstein strobes makes me still stick with the PWs.

P.S. Sorry for cross-posting this, but I thought there might be people who have experience with this either with the Phottix or the YongNuo systems.

Thomas,

Flash Havoc should answer this because I am out of my league here, but I believe the answer is:
      – Trigger cross brand – yes
      – Control cross brand – only with Nikon TTL compatible flashes, and not guaranteed

Basically, I believe the YN-622N system can work with any standard shoe mount flash as a basic trigger that provides no control, just triggering. It can also control (manual or TTL control) and TTL trigger any flash that supports Nikon’s TTL as an on camera flash (in theory).

My understanding of the reason for this is with the YN-622N, you basically set the off camera flash to TTL mode, and then the YN-622N acting as the receiver basically communicates with the flash as if it is the camera, telling it to do what it wants to do. Even when controlling the off camera flash manually from the TX, the receiver 622N is controlling the flash in TTL mode and managing that communication to give you “manual” control. So that is why in theory, any flash a Nikon camera can control is today’s iTTL, the YN-622N should be able to control (but again, mileage may vary due to variances in iTTL implementation in 3rd party flashes).

Just to complete the answer, the YN-622Ns will not be able to control flashes that do not support on-camera iTTL (like a Canon Flash or studio strobe). The YN-622Ns will only be able to trigger those.

Thomas,

I re-read your question and saw the reference to Groups – and I believe you could include any of the flashes in any of the groups, as that is controlled by the YN-622N (so group A, could be an SB910 and a Mitros+ Nikon and a Cheetah Light 360, while group B could be a Canon Flash and a SB700).

You could fire the groups independently, but everything else about the control would fall under my previous answer……hope that helps…

18. Sergio 4 years ago

Hi everyone, my question is very simple, I have a SB700, I’m planning to buy YN-568 flash and already have two YN-622N tranceivers, I ordered one YN-622 TX to mount on top of my camera, also I have a manual YN-560 II to fill light when needed. To set up a studio ambient lighting with the Nikon SB-700 and the future YN-568 flash mounted both on the YN-622N off camera, I would still control them remotely thru the YN-622 TX? Thanks for your thoughts in advance.

Sergio,

Yes, you should be able to control both the SB-700 and YN-568 remotely. If you had a third YN-622N, you could trigger the YN-560 but not control it.

Hope that helps…..

• Sergio 4 years ago

Thanks David, I think I put the YN-560 II in slave mode or S1 and I think it pops the light when another flash is flashing.

19. Pascal B. 4 years ago

Any availability date for the Canon version ? I’m just dying to have it 😉

20. Arnie 4 years ago

I’ve got my YN-622N TX yesterday:
    first hands-on:
    It really works great! now also the Nikon SB-800 work wothout any problems also in iTTL mode (even with the YN-622 units with old firmware that are buggy used as a master on-camera unit).
    I heard from a collegue that now also the in camera flash agjustment (+/-) of the D4 works great.

using the mixed mode of the YN-622N TX and combining TTL and M also works very fine.

very nice master unit!!

Fantastic, thanks for the quick feedback Arnie!

• john 4 years ago

Did you or anyone else place your order with eachshot.###? Thanks in advance.

Hi John,

I think most people would have ordered from EachShot as I think they were the only seller with stock before the Chinese New year Holiday.

But they did place a large disclaimer at the top of the listing saying any orders after January 25th would ship out after the holiday break, from the 7th of February. You mentioned in the other post you ordered on the 27th, so you’re going to have more of a wait than most people that made orders by the 25th.

• john 4 years ago

Thanks for your quick reply, I went fed-ex to try and get it here faster but over looked the jan. 25th timeline. I have 4 of the RF-603N’s for when I go all manual and I upgraded to 4 of the 622’s for the I-ttl but don’t like the method of changing exposure values with them,lol. I can’t wait for the tx version which will give me full control and i’ll be able to see what i’m doing.

21. Mark F 4 years ago

Hello from the UK.

Received my new 622n-TX two days ago and have had only half hour to play with it. I already own 2 622n’s.

First impressions are very good indeed, though I do need to spend some more time testing out a lot of the features/options.

I set it up with my YN 565ex and YN 468-II, and was taking good photos within 10 minutes using the 565-ex as a main light and the 468-II as fill. Controlling both pretty easily after a few minutes of messing about. I was a little confused with a couple of things but without reading the manual and just playing about I think I got it figured out.

My legs aren’t the greatest so the thought of not having to continuously go back and fore to my soft boxes/brollies is quite exciting!

Sorry that I don’t provide much techie info, but I’ve just not had enough time to have a really good look.

First impression, excellent piece of kit!

Thanks Mark, no problems, if you don’t need to get technical at least that means thing are working! 🙂

• John 4 years ago

Did you or anyone else order yours from Eachshot.com? If yes, when did you place the order if you don’t mind my asking as I placed mine with them on Jan. 27/14 and haven’t heard from them as of yet. Thanks in advance.

22. KQ 4 years ago

Will this work with D3 / D4 ? I don’t see the single digit nikon models listed

Hi KQ,

We won’t know for sure until some people try these and give some feedback. YongNuo didn’t list them with the YN-622N either because they didn’t test with them, but as far as I’m aware they worked fine without any tweaking required. Thanks.

• Arnie 4 years ago

I’m in contact with a guy in Germany ( see here http://www.nikon-fotografie.de/vbulletin/2188477-post103.html ) who has very positive experience with the YN-622N TX on a D4.
      Seems to work as good as with the models listed.

Fantastic, Thanks Arnie!

• DallasBestPhotographer 4 years ago

I own the D4, and D3s, and D600, my yn-622N-TX arrived 3 days ago and it works fine on all 3 of my cameras, hope this helps you guys..
      I tried the yn-622N-TX side by side with me 8 yn-622n’s, and all flashes fired perfectly..

23. Hans 4 years ago

good day! will this controller work with Fuji cameras specially X-E2? say i have a phottix mitros can I trigger it in ttl as well as in manual mode? thnx

Hi Hans,

Sorry no, you won’t get any TTL, or even remote manual at this stage. Just a simple fire signal with non dedicated Nikon DSLR’s. Thanks.

Flashhavoc,

Question for you. I know that putting one on top of a fujifilm camera would just give you a trigger, no ttl, as info won’t pass between the two. However, I am using Nikon flashes, wouldn’t I still have remote manual control of those flashes from the TX regardless of what camera it is attached to (since that is only reliant on the TX to receiver communication and not any communication from camera)?

– David C.

Hi David,

With the Nikon version YN-622N / YN-622N-TX the flashes are set to TTL even when using remote manual.

So the transmitter is setting its own remote power levels and sending them to the flash as a TTL signal before each shot.

So at this stage you need a dedicated camera that knows all this has to go on before the shutter opens for the main flash.

I’m not sure that it can’t still be done in some way, but its not simple to implement like the Canon version. YongNuo implemented this feature with the YN-E3-RT, so they are aware of the demand. And I’d be surprised it they do not enable this with the coming YN-622C-TX as well.

Flashhavoc,

I just got my 622TX today and did a quick test. I don’t have a non-nikon camera to do a full test, so did a quick 2 min test. I took the 622N-TX off my Nikon, set the power remotely on remote manual mode, and fired at full power and at 1/128th power using the test button on the TX. It clearly looks like it adjusted the flash power without being on the camera. My guess is that the TX itself is managing all of the simple TTL commands needed to set the remote flashes manually, and just looks for the shutter release signal from the camera for manual groups. I won’t know for sure until someone with a camera other than a nikon tries it, but my experiment tells me that if you put this on a M4/3 or Fujifilm etc, you should be able to manually set power on your Nikon compatible flashes from the TX.

– David C.

Hi David,

Unfortunately it doesn’t quite work that way. Even though you can use the test fire button at the correct power level, without the transmitter attached to anything, that doesn’t mean the camera knows how to fire that main flash in sync with the shutter (so they likely won’t allow it to fire at all).

The pre flash communication has to go on before the camera shutter opens for the main flash. So the camera and transmitter need to work together to make this happen in sync, which requires a dedicated camera.

I’m not saying it can’t be implemented, but its not a simple change. YongNuo just added even more functionality like this to the YN-622C-TX, so they are well aware of the demand, and would have done this for the 622N if they could have by this stage.

You could test this by simply placing a piece of paper over the TTL contacts on the camera hotshoe only. I’m sure you will find the transmitter will not fire at all then without the full contacts.

24. Greig 4 years ago

Got my YN-622n-TX the other day and have a small play. Works a treat straight out of the box. The Firmware version shipped is the latest available so no need to update.
    Put it straight onto my D7000 and worked beautifully. Now I don’t need to put my Nikon SU-800 on top of a YN-622 to have visual remote control of all my flashes.
    Have also tried hooking up a YN-602 trigger so that I can fire my YN-560III as well as my YN-568EX’s at the same time, however, there is no remote control of the 560’s power etc (use them as background fill etc)
    The remote trigger function is as stated. I have not been able to get a YN-622 trigger mounted on top of a 2nd camera to remotely fire the shutter of the YN-622n-TX mounted on another camera unfortunately.
    Overall I am wrapped with these new triggers.
    Now looking forward to seeing what Yongnuo do with the upcoming YN-560III-TX

Fantastic, thanks for the feedback Greig!

25. Vinh 4 years ago

Receiving my TX soon in addition to 3 of the original yn622n transceivers. However I’m disappointed that it doesn’t have a pass through for an on camera flash for events. Can the TX be used as remote without having to be on the camera while the original transceiver on camera with a SB800 on top be used to trigger the off camera flashes?

Hi Vinh,

I don’t think the YN-622N-TX can be used off camera at this stage. But yes the original YN-622N can be used on-camera with a TTL flash mounted on top of the pass through hotshoe. And the flash on top becomes the master interface.

Though unfortunately the SB-800 is the one flash that doesn’t work as a master unit on top of the YN-622N, because its processing time is a little too slow. You would need an SB-700 or 900 / 910 as the master.

The SB-800 should work fine now as a remote off-camera flash mounted on a YN-622N. And likely a little better or more stable with the YN-622N-TX used as the transmitter unit.

26. mark 4 years ago

In a quandary. I have four SB900, one SB700, one Yonguo 565 and two sets of Stratos II. I really want to have full manual control of OCF remotely, TTL is a bonus but not necessary for OCF. Pass through TTL for on-camera unit is good to have when I want it. So finally, multiple 3rd party manufactures are coming to the rescue of us Nikon shooters. But I’m not sure which system to buy into. I’m very interested in the Mitros + system. I could buy two Mitros + (one for me and one for my assistant) add four receivers for my 900s and be good to go. Phottix seems to make quality gear and they are forward thinking. Yonguo would save me some money but the transceivers are not built into their units so this is more gear to have stacked on top of my cameras. Eventually I would like to add a Cheeta light or two.

Any thoughts to consider to short this all out?

Hi Mark,

I think by the end of this year we will have a much better idea of the integrated systems available.

But if you want to do something now, for weddings its pretty hard to go past the reliability of the Phottix system.

They work fine with the Cheetah lights as well even with HSS. You need to use the CL-TX in hand / pocket for remote power setting on those though.

The missing piece of Phottix’s puzzle is the larger (integrated lights) but they have the radio well sorted which is the harder part. Goddox have a ton of lights, but the radio system (for TTL etc) is unknown yet. YongNuo are making big progress in the radio department, but they are building to a minimum price, which is not ideal for everyone’s use.

• mark 4 years ago

Thanks FH, your input is always appreciated!

27. Andy 4 years ago

Hello guys,

I have SB-900, SB-700, YN-568ex and YN-560 II. I use those with Su-800 for inside shooting. Additionally I want now a radio controlled system with internal radio receivers for my outside shootings. Which not so pricy ones can you recommend for basic shooting with no HSS/iTTL needed?

Hi Andy,

The only remote manual speedlites currently available are the recent Godox V850.

If you’re happy to use those alone for outdoor work then you would be set.

But I’m guessing you’re going to want to try and incorporate your current flashes. In which case the best option would likely be to use YN-622N as receivers on the SB-900 & SB-700. And a YN-622N-TX on the camera if you want to control those. To fire the V850 you would then need to connect an FT-16 transmitter to a YN-622N receiver. Sounds complicated, but its really pretty simple. I’m writing a post on in at the moment.

If you don’t want remote manual power control, then the YN-560 III flashes would do. The RF-603 II would be the best transmitter option for that for now. There will be a remote manual transmitter coming eventually though.

28. tpstudio 4 years ago

Hi, I’m sure this has been covered in one of the other posts but just to ask a simple question, I use a nikon d7100 camera and an sb 910 flash. When I shoot events, I use a custom bracket. If i put a YN-622N on the hotshoe of the camera and the flash on the bracket attached to the other YN-622N, will this setup shoot in ttl mode? I am trying to get away from using the sync cord between the camera and flash, but I prefer ttl to manual. Thanks for making it simple.

Hi tpstudio,

That should work, but you’re adding 4 extra AA batteries, 2 of them with the weight up quite high. And adding a small chance of less reliability with the radio signal. A sync cord never has a hiccup and needs a reboot like TTL triggers do sometimes either. So personally I would prefer a cord in that case.

I’m also not familiar with how the flash exposure compensation works with Nikon (as it seems to vary with camera models?), so I’m really not sure if you can simply adjust FEC from the camera through the radio triggers to the flash easily or not (as you can do with all compatible Canon cameras).

So that’s one thing I would want to check. But I think you would find the cord is a better option anyway. Even if you had one custom made to length etc so its as convenient as possible. Thanks.

29. Jens 4 years ago

Hi, hope someone can help me. I use a Nikon D7100 and have just receive my YN-622N-TX together with a YN-622N. I have a SB-600 flash that I put to M (manual) and on top of the YN-622N.
    I put also the TX to manual. I can fire the flash, but it go of with full light, even when I set the TX to 1/128. The light is the same as with 1/1. I am a new with flash, what am I doing wrong.
    Regards Jens

• lianggx 4 years ago

Please set sb-600 to ittl mode no matter what you set on 622n-tx.

• Jens 4 years ago

Yes, I found out. Thank you

• Jens 4 years ago

I solved the problem. I have to put the flash in iTTL mode, then it works fine.

• Mark F 4 years ago

It’s worth mentioning to people that as Jen says above, you have to have your speedlites set to ITTL for the 622-tx to work properly, even when shooting in manual from the TX on camera.

Also worth noting that the speedlite doesn’t actually say the same thing on the led readout as the TX does, it doesn’t matter though as it works just fine and very accurately.

30. Felipe 4 years ago

Just received mine in the mail and the only feature that I can’t get to work is the remove flash zoom. I’m using the trigger with a Nikon D300s and SB600 flash set to TTL mode.

Hi Felipe,

Where you using the YN-622N as transmitter and receiver before, and had zoom working then?

My thoughts would be possibly you have a manual zoom setting on the flash already? I’m not that familiar with the Nikon version, but with the YN-622C you can set the receiver to mixed mode and adjust the zoom manually. Maybe this is what you have done?

Try doing a factory reset on all the triggers and see if that helps.

• lianggc 4 years ago

Set the zoom of your speedlites to AUTO rather than M-Zoom.

• Mark F 4 years ago

Felipe. I had the same issue until I realised that I had to set turn MANUAL ZOOM to the OFF setting on my YN-565ex. All worked fine after that.

31. Peter 4 years ago

Hello from Aus!

I’m newbie to flash so just wondering if you can help me to confirm the combination I’m looking at. I have an SB 700 and plan to order another TTL YN flash along with this YN-622N-TX and 2 YN-622N. Will this combination allow me to fully remote control 2 flashes off camera in either TTL or M mode?

Also regarding the TTL flash I’m planning to order, I’m looking at the YN565EX on YN eBay site but there seems to be 2 versions of the flash with $50 different in price. I tried to read through their decriptions but they appear to be exactly the same? What am I missing? And is the YN565EX is the most budget choice for my purpose?

Much appreciated any input!

Hi Peter,

Yes that set up should work well with TTL or Remote Manual.

The only thing the YN-565EX is missing is HSS. But yes its the best budget option otherwise. You would need to go to the YN-568EX for HSS (but no external battery port).

The difference between the two YN-565EX listings appears to just be that one has “best offer” available. So maybe you can try offering a little less than the other $118 listing. Thanks.

32. Eric 4 years ago

only $59.98 now,I found it on ebay

33. Peter 4 years ago

Any news on the canon version? YN-622C TX?

Peter

34. David C 4 years ago

Received my 622N-TX today and VERY happy with it in the little bit I have been able to test it with my YN-622Ns and as a remote trigger (that is an added bonus that I think I’ll end up using more often than I originally thought). Now Yongnuo just needs to incorporate a transceiver and TX interface into a 568EX II for Nikon and I’ll be extremely happy….

35. Tom 4 years ago

Received YN622TX today and so far so good. I’m very happy with my initial testing. The equipment combination used to evaluate was the Nikon D7000, YN622TX, YN622N(2ea) and YN565EX Flash(2ea). The flash exposure in ITTL is much closer than my PW FlexTT5s in ITTL. I have to admit that I am pleasantly surprised at how well the YN622TX and YN622N are performing so far. I will provide more results after this weekend.

36. Ole 4 years ago

I have had 4 YN-622N for several months, using them as simple triggers (no TTL, no FP) because of the awkward user interface (button presses with no feedback). I just recieved my YN-622N-TX a few days ago. I use the triggers with a Nikon D800 camera and SB-800 flashes.

I have found one problem that puzzles me.

I always shoot off camera flashes in manual mode. Until now, I have used the SB-800s in manual mode (M on the flashes), setting the flash power on the flash e.g. 1/1, 1/2, 1/4, etc.

I can do that also with the TX but that sort of defeats the purpose of the TX. I therefore set the flash to TTL and the mode on the TX as M, and setting power as e.g. 1/1, 1/2, 1/4, etc. on the TX.

However, the actual flash output differs between the two methods. Actually it differs consistently about one f-stop. Thus, 1/1 on the TX gives the same amount of light as 1/2 on the flash. 1/2 on the TX gives the same amount of light as 1/4 on the flash. 1/4 on the TX gives the same amount of light as 1/8 on the flash. Etc.

Anyone have the same problem or anyone have found a workaround?

• Arnie 4 years ago

What happens, when you set the overall flash correction on your D800 to +1? shouldn’t that increase all flashes by +1 f-stops?

• Doug 4 years ago

I am using the YN-622N-TX with a D800 as well and have determined that it doesn’t work as expected. For example, I can set manual flash output fine, but TTL does not work. I also placed the YN-622N-TX on my D7000 and everything works perfectly. Yongnuo needs to provide a firmware update to fix issues with the D800.

• lianggc 4 years ago

Doug,

We have tested YN-622N-TX on D800E with SB600/700/800/910 and Yongnuo flashes. Please provide details of your problem to service@hkyongnuo.com

Thanks,

Hi Ole,

Its actually not unusual for the pseudo manual settings made by a TTL transmitter (with the flash actually set to TTL) to not match the actual manual settings. We have seen a number of firmware updates lately for various triggers trying to refine these power levels. The Phottix Odin for example were out 1/2 a stop before the firmware update.

But a full stop out doesn’t sound right at all, or not reaching full power as you mention.

Doug above is reporting a different issue with the D800, so I wonder if this is due to the D800 at all, or having the same issue on other bodies?

37. Felipe 4 years ago

Can the YN-622N and YN622TX be used as a remote shutter release for the camera? I have a Nikon D300s. Thanks!

• Felipe 4 years ago

Figured it out. If I use the cable supplied to connect the YN622TX to the camera, I can use YN622N as a remote to trigger the shutter release. Seems like when I depress the TEST button a photo is taken. Is there a way to cancel or will it always take a photo when TEST is depressed? Thanks guys.

38. john 4 years ago

Yesterday the courier service called to tell me that they had a parcel from china for me but their would be a $19.40 duty charge for it, I thought oh well just bring it as I was excited to get the yn622n-tx. I was soon disappointed when I opened my parcel only to see three yn622n’s instead of the tx that I clearly ordered. I contacted the web site right away and am hopeful that they will fix their mistake quickly.

Hi John,

Darn that is a bummer. Let us know how it goes. Thanks.

39. John 4 years ago

Yes, it’s a bummer for sure. My wife and I are headed down south in about four weeks and I was looking forward to having my new yn622-tx with me. I’ll let the readers know for sure how they deal with the issue. Thanks

40. Ranalli 4 years ago

Who has the YN-622N-TX along with the YN-622N(for my SB-700s) and the YN-568EX Wireless TTL in stock?

Looking to refresh my entire flash setup from the simple manual triggers/flashes I had before.

41. Walid 4 years ago

So what is the conclusion regarding Nikon D3s, I was about to click pay then I thought I better check, so is YN622N TX accompanied with YN622N i-TTL compatible with D3s/D4/D3

Hi Walid,

So far there are a handful of reports saying they work fine, and non reporting compatibility issues as yet, as far as I’m aware. Thanks.

42. Walid 4 years ago

Thanks flash havoc,
    I promise you this is the last question
    I’ve already got 2 yn 568ex and 1 yn 560iii, if I get n622n tx and yn622n i-ttl, would they work as HSS with this combo, I mean yn568ex

No worries, yes the YN-568EX connected to YN-622N, and YN622N-TX will provide HSS.

If you connect the YN-560 III via a PC sync cord to the YN-622N as well, and set the flash to full power, you can generally use SuperSync with the YN-560II as well.

43. Walid 4 years ago

Flash Havoc

You are a star, I am going to buy one with Yn622N I-TTL

44. Jon McGuffin 4 years ago

I’m having some difficulty with my YN-622N-TX unit and I’m not sure why. Wondering if somebody here could help. I’ve posted a video that I think best shows the issues I’m having, it is here:

It all boils down to the controller unit not being able to change either the zoom setting on the flash head nor the power output in manual mode. Both features that are supposed to work.

I’m using a Yongnuo 568EX Flash, YN-622N Receiver/Treceiver and, obviously the YN-622N-TX controller all atop my D7100 (though it’s the same on my D700).

Any ideas on what I might be doing wrong would be greatly appreciated!!

Hi Jon,

Yes as Mike mentions, you need to leave the flash set to TTL, and the zoom set to Auto on the flash.

The YN-622N-TX can then take control of the manual power levels and zoom length.

They won’t show the power changes on the flash, but you will see the light output follows the manual power levels set on the transmitter.

• Jon McGuffin 4 years ago

Fantastic! Yes, Mike helped me with the manual aspects and now the zoom is working as well. ALL is good!

Thank you VERY much for your help here! The Yongnuo manual is lacking a TON of information and is very poorly written. This information really ought to be in there.

Thank you very much, you’ve made my day!!

45. Mike Wilkins 4 years ago

Jon

I posted a suggestion on your youtube post. I was having trouble changing the power in manual mode as well. I read you should keep the flash set to TTL rather than manual. Then when you switch to manual mode on the controller it changes the power as desired.

46. Dallas Thomas 4 years ago

Hi

I just received my YN622TX and 2 YN622 they appear to work fine with my D800 I have a SB910 and YN565EX. Manuel or TTL I have yet to fully test setting I will do this at the weekend. With SB910 it need to be set On not remote as you would using Commander Mode that was the only hitch i had. Firmware is the latest. Appreciate you fine work and everyones comments.

47. Walid 4 years ago

Hi all,

Does anybody have a video tutorial on how YN622N-TX and YN568EX work please

Walid,

What kind of tutorial are you looking for? I have a short review video of the 622N-TX: http://davidcarrico.blogspot.com
      Its not a tutorial but if I know what you are looking for, and think others would benefit, I may throw one together. Unfortunately I don’t have a YN-568 EX, but given that you just throw the off camera flash into TTL, I’m not sure how that would be any different than any other supported Nikon compatible flash when using the TX. Anyway, let me know what areas you are looking to have covered…..

Thanks,

David C.

• Walid 4 years ago

David,

This is a fantastic video, someone like myself will not self teach these tech stuff, a video explaining the functions and operation buttons will be very helpful to lots of people.

Nobody can learn to drive a car by reading the car manual but a driving instructor help makes it easier, if you know what I mean.

Thanks David again for the like.

Walid

48. max 4 years ago

Hi all,

I have a “little” problem with the 622N. I shoot wedding with a d700 a d800. I have on each camera a 622n radio (I´ve just ordered the 622-tx). On one of the bodies I have a sb700 over the radio. The problem is that sometimes when I shoot with the camera that doesn´t have the flash on it, it trigger the flash that I have on the other body! Unfortunately I realized on my last wedding. When the bride was walking with his father to the altar, all the latest pictures were burned (by the other flash!) !!!

Is there any way to fix that?

Thank you very much!

Max

Hi Max,

This is a know issue with the Canon version YN-622C, but I’m surprised that it would have carried over to the Nikon version as well. I thought YN had addressed this for the Nikon version.

I don’t know if the Canon version work around can work for Nikon as well, but you can see that here and possibly give it a try – http://flashhavoc.com/yn622c_review/#Two_Shooters

If that is workable at all please let us know. Thanks.

• max 4 years ago

Thanks! that the solution I was thinking of. thanks again.

Hi Max,

No problem, but if you do have it to work with Nikon please let us know. Thanks.

• max 4 years ago

I have the nikon version (622N), with all nikon equipment. Selecting group C to the flash on top of one of the camera, and setting the salves flashes on group B or A, its solved the problem.

thanks

Ok great, thanks Max!

49. Daryl Sturgess 4 years ago

I’d like to see Yongnuo start using a RF module slot in their flashes, so that:

1) Base flash can be sold at highly competitive price.

1a) A module can be later added to enable RF functionality.

2) User can open a slop and insert an RF module to make it compatible with various or even multiple transmitters via switches.

In reality, the industry needs to settle on comms standards, so the propriety system wars disappear. My suspicion would be a significant expansion of the market overall, which all could win from.