YONGNUO YN-622N-TX – Flash Controller for NIKON – Now Available!

YongNuo have released the long awaited YN-622N-TX Flash Controller for Nikon, and they are available now from just $63.

The YN-622N-TX transmitter acts as a master control unit to the popular YN-622N ITTL and Remote Manual transceivers, providing more functions and a far more user friendly built-in LCD user interface.

Also adding a USB port for firmware updates, which is major advantage over the current triggers. The improved YN-622N-TX also enhances stability, as well as improving information transmission speeds.

YongNuo YN-622N-TX

• Remote Shutter Release Function
  • Dedicated Buttons for Fast Adjustments
  • Battery Level Indicator
  • PC Sync Port
  • Improved Stability and Transmission Speed
  • SuperSync Manual Timing Adjustment by Group
  • Flash Value Lock function (FVL)
  • Modeling Flash & Red-Eye Reduction flash
  • Settings Saved Automatically
  • PC Port Input
  • Up To 100M Range
  • Basic Trigger Mode for Non Nikon Cameras (with standard hotshoe, max sync speed is 1/250s)

YongNuo YN-622N-TX

The ability to mix TTL and Manual groups is a major advancement, and puts the YN-622-TX up there with the Phottix Odin and Pixel King Pro for functionality.

Improved stability and transmission speed is another upgrade, and should also help with the Nikon SB-800 flash, which has had some issues with the YN-622N previously due to its slower processing speeds than later Nikon flashes.

SuperSync Manual Timing Adjustment by Group is another significant new feature, allowing different studio lights to be used together at sync speeds above the camera X-sync.

The YN-622N-TX includes both N1 and N3 shutter release cables –

• 1 x LS-2.5/N1 Shutter Connecting Cable
  • 1 x LS-2.5/N3 Shutter Connecting Cable

YN-622N-TX Shutter Release Cords N1 & N3

A nice video review here by David Carrico.

Compatible cameras –

Nikon: D70, D70S, D80, D90, D200, D300S, D600, D700, D800, D3000, D3100, D3200, D5000, D5100, D5200, D5300, D7000, D7100,

Although not listed (or tested) by YongNuo, a number of reports have confirmed the D3s and D4 are also working well.

Compatible Slave Flash Units

There are currently no flashes with YN-622N-TX compatible receiver built in. Any slave flash fired via radio will require a YN-622N attached as a receiver unit.

UPDATE – The YN685 For Nikon with YN-622N compatible radio receiver built inside are now available.

Nikon ITTL compatible flash units SB-400, SB-600, SB-700, SB-800, SB-900, SB-910.

YongNuo Compatible flashes are any of the EX series for Nikon (except the YN-560 EX) –

YN685 – ITTL and HSS, with YN622N compatible radio receiver built inside.
YN-568EX
 – ITTL and HSS – (but no HV Battery Port)
YN-565EX – ITTL and HV Battery Port – (but no HSS)

Firmware Updates –

There have been a number of firmware updates tweaking small issues and adding features.

Please see the YongNuo Website here (bottom of the page) for the latest firmware and updater software.

PRICE AND AVAILABILITY –

YN-622N-TX for Nikon are available now from around $45 –

YN-622N-TX – Amazon, YongNuo AmazonUK, Ebay, YongNuo Ebay, Adorama, B&H Photo

YN622N II – AmazonYongNuo Amazon, UK, Ebay, YongNuo Ebay, Adorama, B&H Photo

YongNuo – Website

1. lianggc 3 years ago
    • Joe Collins 3 years ago

Thanks lianggc.

v1.04 update says the following in the change log:
      _______________

Added: Free Mask support. Holding Gr key for a few seconds to disable A/B group. Holding again to
      restore.

Fixed: Improved AF Lamp.
      _______________

Not sure what Free Mask support means.

Free Mask is a variation of the Hensel Freemask system – http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrWFOLzy4sI

I think YN may have missed the point a little though, that it needs to be super fast.

If you’re trying to mask a person they are not going to hold still while you hold a key for a few seconds to enable it, then take another shot. It needs to be automatic and instant on the second shot.

• Vince 3 years ago

Is this firmware now available for MAC users?

Thanks!

2. beccy 3 years ago

Does anyone know if the YN-622N-TX is compatible with the D610?

3. Walid 3 years ago

I was thinking of buying a couple of yn622n TX and a couple of yn622n I-ttl from hkyongnuo, but has any body heard of them? if so, how are they? I mean legit.

Hi Walid,

Do you mean hkyongnuophotoequipment on Ebay?

If so they are the official YongNuo store, dealing direct to the public.

• David C 3 years ago

Walid,

I can’t find your original post where you asked for a more step by step tutorial, but check out a new video I put up on my blog: http://davidcarrico.blogspot.com

It only covers the basics, so let me know if there were other areas you were hoping were covered….

Thanks…..

• Walid 3 years ago

David,
        you are a star,
        thanks very much I am sure many beginners like me will benefit from this video.

Thanks again

• David C 3 years ago

Walid,
          Hope you are doing well. I can’t find the original post, but I think you asked for a step-by-step video for a firmware upgrade. I have just posted that to my youtube channel:
          It should also be up on my blog soon: davidcarrico.blogspot.com

4. Jigs 3 years ago

Glad to have firmware updates!

Anyways, has anyone tried using the remote shutter function??

I had problems with it in bulb mode.

I have tried using the remote shutter of the YN-622N + Tx system. I just find it hard to use in Bulb mode as compared to the RF-603. With the 622, you have to release the test button for the shutter to open. But with what I’ve tried in bulb mode, it closed immediately after just a few milliseconds. Therefore, there was no bulb mode that happened. Unlike in the RF-603, you just press and hold the button and then the bulb mode goes on and shutter continues to be open until you let go of it. Note also that I was in manual focus, so there was no AF during the pressing down of the test button.

So what I did was, I tried pressing and holding the test button AGAIN quickly after I let it go from the first press (to open the shutter). It did make the camera go to bulb mode. BUT, after that, the Tx does not respond anymore to another press of the 622 test button or even if you turn it off. The Tx on the camera just keeps the camera shutter open.

As for a remedy, I turned off the Tx so as to close the shutter.

I was able to take a long exposure, but I find it not a natural way to do it with a remote.

So, I hope Yongnuo fixes this bug or comes up with a better explanation how to do it.

• lianggc 3 years ago

This is not a bug. Shutter release of 622N-TX isn’t designed to work with bulb mode, please refer to the manual.

This function depends on 622N which have been sold and there isn’t firmware upgrade ability for it. It’s a hidden design before 622n released.

• Jigs 3 years ago

Yes, this may not be a bug. But it would be nice to have bulb mode if you can put it there.

5. Arnie 3 years ago

just did some measurement series of the flash power using a flash meter (with the purpose. to find a way to get full power out of the flash and not only 1/2 as described by Ole).
    here are my observations:

1) you can get the full flash power by setting 1/1 on the YN-622N TX plus +1 flash exposure compensation on your camera

2) a flash compensation setting on the flash does not influence flash power in manual mode

3) the flashes on the YN-622 always send out a pre-flash. This pre-flash typically happens directly in front of the main flash. Only other possibility: if you set at least one of the other flash groups to TTL and set your camera to MUp mode than this pre-flash is sent out when the mirror is lifted (and no pre-flash is sent out when the shutter opens). This pre-flash is somehow irritating as there seems no need for it in manual mode, but as the flashes are set to TTL mode maybe the pre-flash is unavoidable (? if there were a way to remove them in manual mode it would be nice if Yongnuo would do that per firmware update).

4) flash power is identical if you use a YN-622N TX or an on camera YN-622 plus an on top SU-800 or flash as master unit.

charts of my measurements see http://www.nikon-fotografie.de/vbulletin/blitzen-studio-und-zubehoer/225636-yongnuo-yn-622n-verfuegbar-8.html#post2201266

Hi Arnie,

Thanks for that. Is this just using the D800 camera as well like Ole?

Can you send this to service@hkyongnuo.com so they can inform lianggc. Thanks.

I’m not sure that they will be able to remove the pre flash though.

Phottix Odin have the same issue, and their solution was to fire the pre flash a few seconds before the main flash when using the test fire button. That way a light meter can still be used.

• lianggc 3 years ago

Arnie,

I think you’d better meter the output using the camera with a very small aperture and 1/200 shutter. Then compare both pictures.

It may not be accurate with light meter as you can’t meter the main flash only. As you know, 622n will trigger the pre-flash even it’s m mode.

• Arnie 3 years ago

Hi lianggc,

it is possible to meter the main flash only even in M mode:
        Setting your camera to MUp and setting group A on the YN-622N TX to M mode and group B to TTL mode (even if there s no physical group B flash).
        This setup makes the YN-622N TX trigger the pre-flash when the mirror moves up. Then you can meter the main flash when opening the shutter.
        I sent you the measurement data per e-mail.

• lianggc 3 years ago

Thanks. We have identified this issue and will fix it via a new firmware.

6. Arnie 3 years ago

yes, I used a Nikon D800, Nikon SB-910, SB-700 and SB-800 flashes and a Sekonic flashmate lightmeter.

Due to my measurements I got much more insghts about how the components work together with the YN-622 system. And knowing the trick with the flash exposure compensation I’m now really content with this solution. Above all imagine the following scenario: If you were using two flash groups set to 1/1 and 1/2 in M mode. A flash exposure compensation of -1 would reduce both flash groups (to 1/2 resp 1/4) keeping the ratio 2:1. With a flash exposure compensation of +1 group 2 would be raised to 1/1 but group 1 would then also flash with 1/1 power (as 1/1 is the max) and therefore the ratio between the two groups would suddenly be changed to 1:1.

7. grumpy3b 3 years ago

Fast question about the YN-622N-TX and the YN-560III.

The review for the YN-560 III has this update (no date when it was added):

“…UPDATE – YongNuo have now confirmed a remote manual power control function is already built into the current YN-560 III manual flash units ! This function will be enabled via a new transmitter unit with built in LCD interface, to be available (eventually)…”

But your review of the YN-622N-TX states:

“….A lot of people have been asking about the YN-560 III. That will also require a YN-622N attached as receiver. But that will only simply fire the YN-560 III, no remote control function at all, other than turning flashes (or groups of flashes) on and off….”

Which is the case? Or are we are going to have to wait for yet another version of the YN-622-TX controller?

I was not fully buying into the YN-622-TX actually supporting the YN-560 III because even with the “GRP” and “Mystery Function” on the flash there is no USB port in the flash to upgrade the flash firmware. So as I assume the Tx protocols were far from set in stone when the YN-560 III’s were released there would be no way to update them if needed, especially as the function is not currently enabled unless it simply would get the details from the YN-622-RX that obviously needs mounted to the flash?

BTW, just asking in case you might be able to cast some light on this as contacting Yongnuo has always been a bit of a task. So thanks even if ya know nothing about it at this microsecond.

Hi grumpy3b,

The YN-622-TX and the YN-560-TX are two completely different systems, and will not be directly compatible at all.

We already had a whinge about that back here.

So yes, people are waiting for the YN-622C-TX and the YN-560-TX.

(we don’t actually know if YN-560-TX is the correct name, that’s why I have tried not to keep stating it by any specific name, which also adds to the confusion).

8. Ann 3 years ago

One way to handle the pre-flash problem while metering is to simply switch all of the Speedlights to Manual mode on the units themselves while doing the metering and then switch them back to TTL for the actual shoot.

Incidentally the YN 622N units do work with the Nikon D3S and almost certainly therefore with the rest of the D3 series – and probably with the D4 too.

Hi Ann,

Thanks for that. Keep in mind though the power setting in manual set directly on the flash is often not quite the same as what you get when using a flash in TTL and then set to a pseudo manual power setting via the trigger.

Most triggers seem to have a hard time matching these up well, though you would hardly know it was an issue in regular use otherwise.

• Arnie 3 years ago

as stated above:
      flash oputput in manual mode on the flashes themselves differs from the same setting in manual mode via the Yongnuo system (1 f-stop).
      A workaround to prevent wrong metering due to the pre-flashes is setting an additional group to TTL on the YN-622N TX.

• Haicangsg 3 years ago

My 622n-TX doesn’t work with D4 & SB910 … I can’t get it work with 622n too.
      I also can’t update the firmware for 622n-tx even I follow the instruction how to.. (win 7).
      Any help is appreciated.

Hi Haicangsg,

Do you have the YN-622N alone working fine with your D4?

Also do you have any other camera models to try these with?

Its possible you may have a faulty YN-622N-TX, but we need to try and narrow down the issues. Thanks.

• aron 3 years ago

same issue with SB910!! i have yn568ex work fine with the tx and tn triggers but when i set SB910 on TTL does not work though sometimes it flashes but it misses the flash i cant control neither zoom nor output and does not show me my Aperture that i have on my camera, but when i push the button to take pic to the right to wake the flash it does change light.

9. Arnie 3 years ago

one additional comment:
    In the Yongnuo user manuals (YN-622 and YN-622N TX) you can find the following sentence “It is supported to set the FEC on the flash directly, the compensation value shall be superposed according to flash setting plus the controller setting.”
    According to my observations this sentence is not correct. At least in manual mode any flash exposure compensation setting (FEC) on the flash is ignored. Only the FEC setting on the camera is superposed.

10. lianggc 3 years ago

YN-622N-TX firmware v1.05 beta, it should fixed the m output issue.

• Arnie 3 years ago

v1.05 works really fine!

Excellent, thanks Arnie.

• William Vos 3 years ago

I recently purchased and received Yongnuo YN-622-tx from China. With batteries installed and pressing mode repeatedly while powering on – the display shows 1.05 FU which I assume is Firmware Version 1.05. The instructions state to download and install the latest trigger updater and firmware from Yongnuo’s website with the website listing the Version 1.04 as the firmware download zip file being the version most recently available on their website. I am inclined not to download Firmware Version 1.04 from Yongnuo’s website and risk overwriting what I believe may be a newer 1.05 firmware version pre-installed on the transmitter by Yongnuo factory. Is my understanding correct ?

Hi William,

lianggc who posted the beta firmware version v1.05 just a few comments above is the YongNuo engineer.

That was posted quite a while ago, so its pretty safe to assume v1.05 is the standard version (at the time of writing this).

Whoever manages the YongNuo website has likely just been slow to update the firmware version there.

So you should be fine with v1.05. Thanks.

• Marco 3 years ago

Hi.
      I’ve read an answer from Yongnuo, on dpanswer.com, regarding a problem on group B (compensation) when there is only a speedlight on that group.
      I’m going to order the triggers (1 622n-tx and 3 622n) to drive 3 speedlight on separate groups, so I’m afraid about the potential problem… did you solve it?
      btw this was your answer:

Thanks for your mail and sorry for the late reply.

After testing, it does exist the problem: When the transmitting terminal of YN-622N was only flash setup on Group B,which setting of the exposure compensation will be invalid. When triggering through the YN-622N, we suggest you do not individually set the transmitting terminal to Group B. Because the YN-622N could normally work when setting the transmitting terminal to Group A/C/A+B/B+C/A+B+C. You can return the item back to our factory for amendment if it seriously affects your use. We apologize for any inconvenience bring to you.
      Please feel free to contact us.

Best regards.

Yongnuo

Hi Marco,

Firstly I’m not YongNuo, but I hadn’t heard of that issue, thanks for posting this.

So I’m not sure if this is still a current issue with the YN-622N. Though if you are using the YN-622N-TX as the transmitter I don’t think this would effect you anyway.

The YN-622N-TX has a USB port, so any issues like this would be resolved with firmware updates. Thanks.

• Marco 3 years ago

Thanks, I’m sorry I was sure to reply to liangcc (from Yongnuo, in my mind…).
          Bye, very helpful site

Oops, sorry about that Marco!

I replied to your message in the administration section, and could not see the messages above.

• Marco 3 years ago

No problem. I was writing the truth, I consider the site helpful 🙂
              Do you think there’ll be the possibility that the message goes to the destination? ’cause no answer to the mail I sent to Yongnuo, directly

11. Ann 3 years ago

New discovery:

Metering IS possible even when all Speedlights are left in the TTL mode providing that the TX controller in the hot-shoe is switched ON but the camera (a D3S in my case) itself remains switched OFF.

Any Speedlight or Strobe which is switched on, will trigger and my Sekonic meter can read the flash correctly but the camera shutter will obviouly not be released.

This is a major break-through as far as I am concerned.
    It may have something to do with the fact that I changed the default SS (HyperSync) settings on the TX to “Auto”.

Hi Ann,

I’ll be brave and say, I’m not sure how that would work.

The flash should still put out a pre-flash before each shot.

Even if the transmitter was not connected to the camera, is should still put out a pre-flash when using the test fire button.

• kjellr 3 years ago

Is there ny way to connect a wire from the light meter (PC sync) to 622 tx and will light metering then work (without the MUP setting(

Hi kjellr,

Sorry no, because there will still be a pre-flash which gives an incorrect meter reading.

You need to use some sort of work around like the Mirror Lock Up, or possibly Second Curtain Sync, to separate the pre-flash from the main flash, so you can meter the main flash alone.

YongNuo really need to at least do something like Phottix have done with the Odin, and put a 3 second delay between the pre-flash and main flash when using the test fire button.

I would suggest anyone wanting this to contact them directly, as the more people that request this the more chance they will listen. Thanks.

• kjellr 3 years ago

Thank you.
            I have ordered a couple of 622n and a 622tx and I not sure if I should order a flash meter. Btw, would it be sufficent to reprogram the 622tx to get 3 second dealy?

The 2.5 to 3 second delay works fine with the Odin. But if they can come up with a better method that would be be great as well.

Ideally it would be nice to disable the pre-flash when using manual, as is serves no purpose when using the radio triggers. But that doesn’t appear to be to easy to do.

So the delay at least serves the purpose ok. It just means you have to wait a few seconds before each meter reading.

12. Ann 3 years ago

Sadly, you are absolutely right!

I just came back here to correct that last post:
    I thought that the meter was reading even when the heads were set to TTL and then I couldn’t get it to do so. Then it worked again and then not again after that.

I have tried it with different units but the behaviour remain intermittant. I am totally puzzled by this behaviour which defies all logic unless this has something to do with my Sekonic L-358?

Do tell me how you are setting the TX to use a second channel for metering as that does seem to be the way to go although don’t you need to switch any Speedlights into Manual to make that work?

My Travelite strobes are no problem: they are not being affected by the Pre-flash from the Speedlights and are HyperSyncing perfectly with clean frames at all power levels and at shutter speeds up to 1/8000.

13. Arnie 3 years ago

okay, it’s quite easy:
    camera in MUp mode (mirror up)
    YN-622N TX setting for group A is M mode, flash in TTL mode on a YN-622 for group A
    YN-622N TX setting for group B is TTL mode, no flash or YN-622 for group B

then you adjust your flash power for group A on the YN-622N TX, press the shutter and the mirror raises and the pre-trigger is sent out, when you press the shutter a second time you will only get the main flash to meter it!

14. Ann 3 years ago

BINGO,

Arnie you are brilliant!

That works and it is an extremely clever solution to the problem which I don’t think that I would ever have discovered for myself.

Thank you so much.

15. Fleace 3 years ago

Short little (silly) question: Is the foil on the top of the unit meant to be removed (and only there for transport as a protection)?

I have a little air bubble under this lamination and don’t like the “foil-finish”. But it doesn’t seem to be a foil only for transport? Seems to be quite hard and solid?

Thx 😉

Hi Fleace,

I’m not actually sure which foil you’re referring to there. The YN-622 generally have a thin plastic film on the top which peels off quite easily once you get it started.

I’m not sure of you have something different there or not.

16. Walid 3 years ago

Hi all,

I’ve ordered as I said before, a YN622N TX and a couple of YN622nn, but still waiting for delivery,

My friend who ordered them they arrived already so we thought we will lay with them to set up 2 flashes to trigger. However, we failed misrably at doing so.

How can you set more than one flash to be triggered this way

Flashes are yn568 ex and yn560III.

I would appreciate your help guys.

Thanks again

Hi Walid,

Do you mean you can’t get the flashes to fire on the YN-622N receiver at all?

Because the YN-560 III is just a manual flash. It won’t have any remote control through the YN-622 triggers.

The YN-568EX should have full function.

• Walid 3 years ago

Flash havoc
        What I mean is, we were unable to trigger both flashes but we managed to trigger the 568ex.

What I know to be able too is to use both flashes at the same time, I am aware that you can set up the trigger and the receivers through Chanel’s and groups but how to do this,

I hope I made the question clear if not please let me know

So you are just having problems getting the YN-560 III to fire.

I would concentrate on just getting that to fire by itself then first.

The YN-560 III needs to be in manual mode, not S1 or S2 optic slave modes. And not the radio slave mode. So the channel dip switches should not be showing on the YN-560 III’s LCD screen.

Regarding channels and groups on the YN-622. This should not really matter, as long as you have the same channel set on both transmitter and receivers.

And then the same group (or groups) must also be set on the transmitter and receivers. For now you could just set them all to group A, and make sure group A is turned ON on the transmitter

Later if you have 2 TTL flashes you could set one receiver to group A, and the other to Group B. Then make sure the transmitter has both group A and B turned ON.

17. mike 3 years ago

So is it out for Canon yet

Sorry no, the Canon version YN-622C-TX still appears to be some way off yet. Thanks.

18. Thomas 3 years ago

Hi everyone,

is this unit available anywhere right now? And I don’t mean ebay for 200$… Or any information, when a next batch will be shipped to dealers?

Thanks,
    Thomas

Hi Thomas,

They are available for $59 at the moment from a number of sellers on Ebay.

EachShot should have stock again any time now too.

• Thomas 3 years ago

Thanks for your answer.

This is strange, the only result I get following your ebay-link is one offer for 209$. So I guess I’ll stick with EachShot and wait patiently.

Hi Thomas,

That’s probably due to the country settings you have selected. This looks to be the most popular ebay listing – here.

UPDATE – Back in stock at EachShot.

• Thomas 3 years ago

Thanks a lot for your efforts.

Yes, country settings may be the problem, I’m surfing from Germany. I just asked for shipping costs via EMS, so I hope to get my hands on this thing soon.

Thanks again
            Thomas

19. john 3 years ago

I received my tx a couple of days ago from eachshot, they resolved the issue of sending me the wrong item in the way I had requested. I’m looking forward to getting a chance to put it to use now.

Thanks for the update John,

Glad to hear they resolved this ok. Hope they work out well, thanks.

20. Dori 3 years ago

Hi, just received my YN-622N-TX and everything is working properly. I am very pleased specially because all the Nikon SB800 issues in the past.
    My question is if Is possible to get firmware update on the Mac computers and if yes how ?

Thanks,
    Dori

Hi Dori,

Good to hear thanks.

Sorry no there is no Mac update version at this point. Unless you can run the Windows compatible software on your Mac. Thanks.

• Vince 3 years ago

Hi, Do you know if there is an expecting date to have it able for Mac? A lot of photographers use Mac as a platform, I don’t understand why they didn’t compatible?
        Thanks!

Hi Vince,

Sorry no I don’t know. You would be best to contact YongNuo directly, as the more requests they get, the more likely they would be to implement a Mac version. Thanks.

21. Gyozo 3 years ago

Hey,
    What is the best option if I’d like to use both on and off camera flashes and want to have a controller to easily set the off camera flashes? I use YN-468 flashes.
    Thanks!

Hi Gyozo,

The best option with the YN-468 flashes would be the YN-622N.

If you want both on-camera and off-camera flashes though, you really need a master flash unit to go on the camera (on top of a YN-622N) as an interface to control the off camera flashes (through the YN-622N).

An SB-700 would likely be the most economical option with master function (possibly second hand), until YongNuo release a YN-568EX II (I don’t know when that will be available though). Thanks.

22. Alice 3 years ago

I have another question. I have a 30 year old Vivitar Zoom Thyristor 3500 flash. Is it compatible with a YN-622N transceiver (or any transceiver that is compatible with the SB700 or theYN622N TX) to be used as a 3rd flash?
    Thank you again.

Hi Alice,

The flash trigger voltage of the Vivitar 3500 appears to be quite low, so it should be safe on most triggers.

I can’t say for sure that its guaranteed to fire, though its generally fairly likely to work.

Also I don’t think the Vivitar has much in the way of power level control. So in general, with the very inexpensive manual flashes available now, its often a lot more convenient to just grab another cheap flash.

The YN-560 II, or even Godox TT520/TT560 sell for around $35.

The YN-560 II are a stop more light than the TT520/560, but either will still likely be more powerfull than the Vivitar 3500, which is another reason a new flash tends to be more convenient. Thanks.

23. Igor 3 years ago

Hi! Sorry for my english. On ebay I found such tee of “Selens SE-31”. The possible will operate three flashes on this tee by means of YN622N-TX when on a tee there will be one YN622N?

Hi Igor,

You can likely fire 3 flashes from the one YN-622N receiver like this, but this is only to fire them at most. You will loose all TTL and remote control of the flash units, because the YN-622N must be attached via a PC sync cord. Thanks.

24. zubpho 3 years ago

Will YN 622N-TX be possible to remotely alter MANUAL exposure from camera position to YN 565EX with YN622N receiver on camera bodies other than Nikon?

Hi zubpho,

Sorry no, with the Nikon version YN-622N and YN-622N-TX, the slave flashes are set to TTL. So a dedicated Nikon camera is required to fire the flash in sync.

YongNuo are aware that it would be desirable to use remote manual on other cameras, and they have implemented that on the YN-E3-RT already. So they would have added it to the YN-622N if was technically possible, but its not something simple to implement unfortunately.

25. Vince 3 years ago

Hi!

Is possible to fire a RF603 with this YN-622N-TX?
    Thanks!

Hi Vince,

Sorry no, the YN-622N-TX and RF-603 are not directly compatible.

You could place an RF-603 on top of a regular YN-622N transmitter’s pass through hotshoe on the camera, to fire both receivers. But then you loose the interface and control of the YN-622N-TX.

You’re really better off to just use more YN-622N as receivers instead of using the RF-603.

26. Mike Devlin 3 years ago

Firstly…. A HUGE thanks for this site and all of the well written, detailed, up to date and entertaining articles… One of the VERY BEST resources anywhere for photographers….

• Mike Devlin 3 years ago

Okay…. I believe I have worked it out…. Just place a standard 622n in the hotshoe to get the early fire signal for HSS and just continue using the Godox FT16 for power control…..
      I think this new Unit will be more useful with TTL flashes in the future….

Hi Mike,

Thanks for that.

Your original message appears to have been cut short, (the wordpress comments seem to be having some issues lately) so I’m not entirely sure what the question was.

Though it sounds like you have it sorted out now though anyway 🙂 Thanks.

27. Elmer 3 years ago

My question is: does this unit fire the YN560iii without a receiver on the flash unit. The reason I would make the switch from PW is so I don’t have to connect anything to the flashes themselves but I’m having a hard time finding out what is compatible with what.

So if I have the YN622N TX on my D800 and nothing the YN560iii but have it on slave mode, will it fire? I just want to be able to change channels because with the rf-603 the channel selection is on the inside of the battery chamber. Thank you

Hi Elmer,

Sorry no, the YN-622N / YN-622N-TX are not directly compatible with the radio receiver built in to the YN-560 III flash unit.

If you’re only after manual, or remote manual power control, with the YN-560 III, then the coming YN-560-TX transmitter would be what your after. We don’t know exactly when they will arrive though.

Another great option available now are the Godox V850 and FT-16 transmitter.

Though it sounds like you want to turn groups ON and OFF? And the FT-16 is a little slow with that as you need to turn the power level right down to OFF, to turn a group off. It can still be done but its a little slow.

The other option otherwise, particularly if you need TTL, are the coming YN-600EX-RT, and now available YN-E3-RT. Though again we don’t know when the flash will arrive, and these are twice the price of the Godox V850 or YN-560 III etc.

The other alternatives (of which there are no that many just yet) are listed here.

Thanks.

28. Joe 3 years ago

I noticed that EachShot is showing a version 1.05 as the latest firmware version on their site (http://www.eachshot.com/product/yongnuo-yn-622n-tx-i-ttl-lcd-wireless-flash-controller-wireless-flash-trigger-transceiver-for-nikon-dslr/) However, Yongnuo’s site displays version 1.04. I assume EachShot’s site is in error.

29. Fleace 3 years ago

my unit shows “BL” (for ‘balanced fill’). Is there a way to deactivate this??

(There is the workaround to use spot metering which doesn’t allow BL, but I would like to use matrix metering and NOT the BL mode…)

I didn’t find any info in the manual?
    Thanks a lot for any help!

30. Armin 3 years ago

I”ve tried to update my firmware from 1.03 to 1.05. But the YN Trigger Updater tells me that no device is connected.

Windows has recognized that I pluged in a device and started installing. I tried on three different USB ports and did a factory reset of the 622. Nothing helps. Of course I set the 622 to update mode.

Does anyone face the same problem?

• Dirk 3 years ago

I had the same problem. Windows did not recognize the device, I had to install the drivers manually from the device manager. The drivers are in: Program Files (x86) > Yongnuo Trigger Updater > Driver.

Hope this helps.

• Armin 3 years ago

Perfect, works.

Thanks!

31. Knud 3 years ago

Hi,I just bought the YN-622N-TX and a YN-622N, and in TTL with a Nikon D90 and a SB800 the picture is underexposed by almost one stop. Is that a behavaiour seen by others ?

Knud

32. Snike 3 years ago

Hi, i bought the YN-622N-TX to use with my D700, SB-600, SB-900 and YN-622N. TX is not working! When i turn it on it’s making constant “beeeeeeeeee” sound. I can take 1 picture and then red light comes on on the TX and it’s not working. I have tried everything inc. firmware update. What should i do?

Hi Snike,

That doesn’t sound promising. Apart from trying another set of new good alkaline batteries, you could try a factor reset. It sounds like you may have a faulty unit though unfortunately.

33. Knud 3 years ago

Hi, besides the issue with underexposing (see my previous post) I wonder if the “BL” sign on the LCD on the 622N-TX is a bug or a feature !

On my D90, the BL mode is automatically used by the camera, when I use the pop-up flash as the only flash. When I mount my SB-800 directly in the hot-shoe of the D90, I can select on the flash if I want to use BL or not. When I use the 622N-TX to control my SB800 mounted on a 622N I can’t find a way to select or de-select the BL mode – it seems ot be on all the time. If my obervations are correct, then this is a serious flaw of the 622N-TX, since most people would not want to use BL on an off-camera flash. It does not make sense, and will lead to unpredictable results.

Knud

34. Walid 3 years ago

Ordered my yn622n and yn622 n TX in Feb, i have not received, so furstrated

35. Sebastian 3 years ago

Hi – can you set Manual Timing Adjustment per group? I’m trying to mix Jinbei DC600 with other strobes but the settings seems to apply to all channels.
    Can you help?

Sebastian

Hi Sebastian,

Timing adjustment via group was meant to be the specification for the YN-622N-TX. I’m not that familiar with the Nikon version so hopefully some other users can help. There hasn’t really been much discussion on the timing adjustment as yet though.

• Sebastian 3 years ago

It’s not mentioned on the website…
        After updating the firmware and going to SS adjustment screen I can see 3 rows of data

2.1

Only the bottom line can be adjusted by pushing directional keys from AU (Auto?) to 3.0

36. Sebastian 3 years ago

Right, I got this from YongNuo:

The engineer of our company pointed out that the delay value of YN-622N-TX is the total delay value, that is to say, we can’t set a different Super Sync delay value. If it’s no need to set the delay value of the other groups, please set other groups into other flash mode. The speed-lite will flash normally.

• Sebastian 3 years ago

So basically the delay setting is global.
      I will try to sync my Jinbei DC600 and some speedlites using just one global setting that will utilize the power of Jinbei.

Ok thanks Sebastian.

They must have just meant that Super Sync timing can be enabled for individual groups then, not adjusted separately for each group.

• Armin 3 years ago

I think they meant that you should set the Jinbei in one group which is set to SS mode and then adjust the SS timing. All other flashes should be put in another group, which is set to TTL. In this case only the Jinbei group will have an individual SS timing, all others have standard timing.

37. Fleace 3 years ago

does really nobody have a clue about the “BL” problem?

The TX transmitter alsways shows BL when in TTL mode. So there is no way to use non-BL TTL mode?! This would be a major flaw!

Unfortunately nobody at yongnuo.com responded. Maybe someone of you has some insight into this? Thanks for any help!

• Knud 3 years ago

If you set the camarea to use spot metering, the 622N-TX will go into TTL mode

Knud

• Fleace 3 years ago

I know I can force normal TTL mode by spot metering.

But I’d like to have matrix in combination with normal TTL, not TTL BL.

So it seems this is not possible with those units?

In my opinion this is a massive flaw. I’m a bit astonished why not more users complain about this? Maybe many don’t even understand the exact difference normal TTL versus TTL BL? 😐

I’m sad that nobdoy at Yongnuo likes to comment on this. At least clarifying whether this is a hardware issue (design flaw) or whether there might be some firmware update, would me more than fair in my opinion.

• Knud 3 years ago

I agree – it should be the possible to select what mode to use. But according to some informatioin I’ve seen, the mandatory BL mode may be according to how the Nikon system works . and it seems as if you on newer flashes like the SB700 can’t switch between TLL and TTL-BL as you can on the SB800/900/910.
          Have a look at this site, where a photographer demonstrates why he believes that TTL-BL is used by Nikon when working wireless.

Knud

38. Terry 3 years ago

Hi

I am considering the Yongnuo YN-622N-TX and 622N and wondered how these compare with the Pixel King Pro 3 for Nikon. I will use with a D800 and SB-700’s initially but may buy some Yongnuo flashes.

Hi Terry,

They compare very favorably at this stage, because the King Pro for Nikon appear to need some considerable refinements still. You can read more but that in the comments here.

One advantage to the King Pro would be that you only need one transmitter unit to act basically as both a YN-622N-TX and a YN-622N as transmitter. Though the way Pixel have made you use both side and end buttons on the transmitter I would prefer to have the YongNuo interfaces anyway.

The range is twice as far with the King Pro, which is impressive, though that doesn’t count for much until they have them functioning completely and proven stable.

The other thing is compatible flashes. YongNuo flashes have some erratic behavior with the Pixel triggers, so it depends on what the new Pixel flashes will be like. And again how long it takes to have those fully functional and stable. Thanks.

39. Terry 3 years ago

I will be upgrading from the basic Yongnuo CTR-301P’s
    Thanks for the prompt reply, I guess its swings and roundabouts, however your comment on refinement for the pixel king pro is worrying. The trend seems to be that manufacturer’s are launching flashes with receivers, I assume these are not comparable between trigger manufacturer’s?

40. Terry 3 years ago

Update
    Ordered the Yongnuo’s got the TX and 2 x 622N’s cheaper than the pixel king pro with 1 receiver.
    I am sure they will be fine.

41. JohnJ 3 years ago

Hi, I just got the unit, testing a bit. I fould a behavior I don’t quite understand:

When I set MANUAL (e.g. 1/16) on the 622-TX-Transmitter (but have the flash unit itself in TTL mode), I can still change the flash output by exposure compensation on the camera body. So M 1/16 on the transmitter is not a fixed flash strength?!

I especially don’t undertand why, when setting M 1/1 on the 622TX, I can still make the flash brighter by increasing exposure compensation on the body.

I thought M 1/1 means maximum flash output?!? But I only get maximum flash output with M 1/1 and ADITIONAL exposure compensation?!???

=> So the Manual M mode on the 622TX is a kind of “pseudo M”? And M 1/1 doesn’t mean max output. Very confusing to me.

Hi John,

Do you have the latest V1.05 firmware installed? That was meant to correct the manual exposure levels.

The firmware is available through the links at the bottom of the page here. Thanks.

42. JohnJ 3 years ago

thanks for your reply, yes, I have 1.05. (when pressing mode and switching the transmitter on it says yn/622/1.05 FU).

I have a D800. So it seems the “manual exposure” problem you referred to is NOT fixed?! 🙁

Any ideas? Is there any chance this will be fixed? Is there already a fix but not working with D800? Is there any hope for a fix in the future? Or is it a hardware issue/incompatibility with this body? Does anybody know? Any help very much appreciated of cours! 🙂

[I upgraded from 1.05 beta (posted here in this thread) to 1.05 final. But I guess this can’t be the reason?]

Hi John,

The people reporting the issue originally were using the D800 as well, so that was reportedly fixed with the V1.05 firmware. So no it shouldn’t be the D800 causing the issue now.

So I’m really not sure how or why you would still be having similar issues with V1.05 installed.

I would go through and do a factory reset on all the triggers, make sure the batteries are new alkaline, clean all the contacts on shoe and feet with isoproply alcohol or similar, and be very careful to make sure both the transmitter and receiver are mounted all the way on the shoe / foot properly, and try again.

If that still doesn’t help, let support@hkyoungnuo.com know you’re still having the issue that was meant to be fixed with V1.05.

This is one of those things that could easily be happening to others as well, its just that they would not have tested this to know.

• Mitch 3 years ago

Going along w/ this – The TEST button seems to create a larger flash output than Manual on 1/1. I would think they would be the same.

43. Mitch 3 years ago

When “BL” lights up on the TX, my remote flash no longer works properly!

I have the TX on a D600, and the ‘yn-622n’ remotely on a SB600. RANDOMLY my TX will illuminate “BL” indicating ‘fill-flash’ according to the manual on page4. BUT when it happens – I no longer can get control of the remote flash – power is stuck at what appears to be 1/128th, even if I’m in M mode at 1/1 OR TTL! NO settings on the camera were changed, nor was ambient light. It just turns on randomly, and then i’m dead. Need to power off & on the TX for it to come back to life.

V1.05 of the firmware. Batteries are good. Channel 1 Group A. Any help would be GREATLY apprecaited, guys! magraff@gmail.com

Thanks.

Hi Mitch,

Unfortunately I’m not that familiar with Nikon and the BL fill flash mode. Though it certainly sounds like you are experiencing a more serious issue, but still related to the BL flash mode issue others are having concerns with above.

Please let YongNuo know at service@hkyoungnuo.com . And you might want to reference this thread as to the others having BL related issues.

This may just be a problem with a recent batch, as its only come up as an issue recently. It does sound more like a software problem though. Thanks.

• Mitch Graff 3 years ago

Thanks for the reply. I’m actually experiencing this lack of power control in Manual flash mode really only when I have my Sigma 70-200 2.8 OS attached. The kit lens 24-85 that came w/ the D600 doesn’t seem to have the problem! I’m NOT changing anything on the camera, but randomly I can always trigger the flash BUT its stuck at a low power output, even on M 1/1 (full power) on the TX. NOW – I ordered a 2nd TX, and SAME EXACT ISSUE! If I turn the camera OR the TX on and off, it starts working again, for just a little while, on BOTH TX’s! So strange. And I did try both ‘n’ s too, so its not on the receiving side as far as I can tell. Version 1.05 on the TX.

I did send a note on service@hkyongnuo,com, but they just sent me a ‘standard’ email template telling me how to use them. Not a personal email at all. We’ll see, but for now, (2) txs and (1) set of ‘n’s and I can’t use them at all. 🙁 Very disappointed. Anyone else have some ideas – PLEASE let me know, but like I said, its a random failure (but VERY often w/ the Sigma on the camera.)

Hi Mitch,

Ok, thanks for the update. At least you have narrowed it down to the Sigma lense for now. I’m not sure how much YongNuo will be able to do with that though. Maybe someone else will have discovered a workaround.

A caned response from YongNuo is not great, but at least they will be aware of the issue now. With the ever growing number of customers and complex products, they need follow a procedure with documenting issues, otherwise its going to be a shamozzle.

• Mitch 3 years ago

YES – I sent them some youtube videos I made – you can probably find them easily from me, with a simple search.
            Its very strange – only with the Sigma 70-200 does it stop controlling power of the ‘n’

Even stranger- if I hit the TEST button on the TX – it tests in FULL power, even if I’m set to Manual 1/128! And I tried this on 2 different TX’s (and 2 different ‘n’s) I didn’t even realize its supposed to test in whatever power I have chosen, until I put a Nikon lens on the D600. Then it TESTed at whatever power level I chose.

I can’t understand why the lens would make any difference at all. Still no response from YongNuo. Hopefully soon. Thanks for your past replies – much appreciated.

44. Shoikan 3 years ago

I ordered the YN-622N-TX, a set of YN-622Ns and a set of YN-460 IIs. I own a D3200. Now, I am -very- much a noob, so I am probably going to sound like one 🙂 I am aware the D3200 lacks a ‘commander’ mode, which would require the SU-800. I wondered if the YN-622N-TX will act as such (i.e. mimic the commander mode for the camera), or if I still need an SU-800 to get that functionality? Also, does anyone have a link to a D3200-strobist howto? There are plenty of howtos for normal nikons, but my ‘braindamaged’ D3x00 series is pretty much ignored, considering options in the menus are mentioned that I can’t seem to find 🙂

I’m sorry if I am asking stupid or off topic questions :$

Hi Shoikan,

Yes the YN-622N-TX is the master interface, no need for an SU-800 or other master unit.

But the YN-460 II flashes are not going to be of much help, you need TTL flashes like the YN-565EX or YN-568EX, to have any remote control. They YN-460 II are only very basic manual flahes, and will only simply fire via the YN-622N, no remote function at all.

I’m not sure about the D3200 how-to, but all of the flash control is basically through the YN-622N-TX anyway (provided you are using the compatible TTL flashes). Thanks.

45. Geert 3 years ago

Hi everybody,

i recently bought a set for NIKON (622tx and two 622c)
    when i want to use my elinchrom bxri500 set, the pc port don’t trigger. the receiver receives the signal. tested with the 2 receivers. But when I put a SB800 on top of the receiver, then it works. and now the bizar thing is, when I remove the SB800, it keeps working. when I put the receiver off, and back on, again no working condition.
    strange, strange ……..

I hope someone can help.
    greetz fron Belgium
    Geert

• Michael 3 years ago

I have the exact same problem with the 622n when using the 560 III flash in manual mode connected to the 622n with a cable. Test flash button works on the 622n. When I put a sb700 on top of the 622n and take a picture they both flash, remove the sb700 and the 560 III continues to work until the 622n is powered off. Using a 622n-tx and a D610 to trigger the 622n.

Hi Guys,

Do you have the same issue if using a YN-622N as the transmitter?

If so they may be able to correct this with a firmware update for the YN-622N-TX.

Either way though, it would be best if you can report this issue to service@hkyoungnuo.com. Thanks again.

46. Joe Miller 3 years ago

Hi guys,
    I have something to add about the having pre-flashes when you’re in manual mode – you still need to set one of the groups to TTL, but instead of using mirror-up – you can press you FV lock button(this will send a pre-flash & lock it) – then any shutter press after that will fire your flash at the manual setting. If you don’t want the FV lock to time-out in 10sec – you can increase the standby time of your in-camera exposure.

47. Robert 3 years ago

Can the Yn 622N TX adjust the power output of a manual Flash?

Hi Robert,

No they need to be compatible TTL flashes to have any remote control function with the YN-622N-TX. Thanks.

48. Tony 3 years ago

Can someone please clarify something for me. I have the D5300 what doesn’t have the Auto FP option can i use the YN622N TX with YN-622N and a YN585EX to perform HSS (Auto FP) or is Auto FP required in Camera ?

Hi Tony,

I’m not that familiar with Nikon cameras, though a little Googling appears to support what you say about the D5300 not providing Auto FP mode. If you can’t mount a HSS enabled flash on the camera (like the SB-700 / 910) and achieve HSS, then its not going to work with the YN-622N triggers either.

The D5300 is generally not listed in the YN-622N compatibility lists either unfortunately. So this may be part to of the reason why.

49. Larry 3 years ago

Thought I would post here since this excellent review was what led me to buy the controller and transceivers. I Just spent a frustrating weekend trying to get TTL to work with my 622n and 622tx with a yn565 and my D800. 1.05 firmware, everything works fine In Manual, but TTL fails- grossly underexposed and no change with EV changes on the Tx. Very frustrating. It appears I wasted $150 on 4 622ns and the TX since my $25 Cowboy Studio set up worked flawlessly in manual.

The odd thing is all of a sudden it will inexplicably work in TTL for a couple of test shots , then suddenly stop working for endless shots. When it works, it seems to decrease light as expected as I go from +3 to 2 to 1, but as soon as I enter 0, it fails and will not work again at +1, 2 or 3. This happened 3 times during extensive testing this weekend.

Hi Larry,

I’m not sure if you have done this already, but if having any issues like this do a factory reset on all the units. That often clears up any issues to start with.

Also be very careful to make sure all the triggers and flashes are seated all the way in the hotshoes properly, its surprisingly easy to miss this to start with. But also clean all the contacts and shoe with some isoproply alchohol or similar as well.

And make sure all the batteries are well charged in the flashes, and new alkaline Duracell or Energizer batteries in the triggers.

There have been a few issues reported with the YN-622N recently, though I’m not seeing any real pattern of the same issues (though the D800 is mentioned a number of times). Some people have issues with the Canon versions as well though the vast majority are fine.

• Larry 3 years ago

Thanks for the suggestions, but I have tried all of these ideas, and more, several times with no real luck. Occasionally, after changing channels, resetting, or for no apparent reason, the system suddenly works in TTL, then after a dozen shots, won’t respond to EV changes and stays in an over exposed or under exposed setting. Interestingly, it never locks in a 0 EV state. 90% of the time it is not working.

Hi Larry,

Ok thanks. Have you tried with just the YN-622N alone, not using the YN-622N-TX?

There must be an issue with the units somewhere then. Are you only testing with the one same flash otherwise?

I don’t use the Nikon version to say first hand, but if this was Cannon I could assure you they do work very well when working properly, with very little issue. So I’d have no hesitation there saying to exchange them etc until the issue is resolved.

I’m not completely sure of the situation with Nikon though, as mentioned there have been a few complaints recently, but really not the many overall. A lot more people would be complaining if the issues were widespread.

50. Jeff 3 years ago

Hey guys, just checking out this site after receiving my units.

Waste of 150$

Ive got a D800E and two Triopo TR-982 flashes. The flashes themself on the camera are great, and support high speed sync.

TTL mode doesnt work on my YN-622-TX to the YN-622’s. Manual mode there is no difference between 1/1 and 1/2 power.

I tried the YN-622 alone on the D800E to another YN-622. Same thing.

Ive got the latest firmware, tried every setting, tries seating the shoes in different positions.

No dice…

Like I said , waste of 150$ to me. Going to try sell them on Ebay . I wish I would have came to this thread and did a little more research into these before spending the $$$

Hi Jeff,

I don’t know about comparability with the Triopo flashes. Just because they work on the camera does not mean they will necessarily have any compatibility with third party TTL triggers.

You would need to try some Nikon flashes to see if the issue is just with the Triopos. You may have a hard time finding any TTL trigger that work nicely with those.

Otherwise you can try a factory reset on the triggers, and see my other related comments to Larry above. Thanks.