YONGNUO YN-622N-TX – Flash Controller for NIKON – Now Available!

YongNuo have released the long awaited YN-622N-TX Flash Controller for Nikon, and they are available now from just $63.

The YN-622N-TX transmitter acts as a master control unit to the popular YN-622N ITTL and Remote Manual transceivers, providing more functions and a far more user friendly built-in LCD user interface.

Also adding a USB port for firmware updates, which is major advantage over the current triggers. The improved YN-622N-TX also enhances stability, as well as improving information transmission speeds.

YongNuo YN-622N-TX

• Remote Shutter Release Function
  • Dedicated Buttons for Fast Adjustments
  • Battery Level Indicator
  • PC Sync Port
  • Improved Stability and Transmission Speed
  • SuperSync Manual Timing Adjustment by Group
  • Flash Value Lock function (FVL)
  • Modeling Flash & Red-Eye Reduction flash
  • Settings Saved Automatically
  • PC Port Input
  • Up To 100M Range
  • Basic Trigger Mode for Non Nikon Cameras (with standard hotshoe, max sync speed is 1/250s)

YongNuo YN-622N-TX

The ability to mix TTL and Manual groups is a major advancement, and puts the YN-622-TX up there with the Phottix Odin and Pixel King Pro for functionality.

Improved stability and transmission speed is another upgrade, and should also help with the Nikon SB-800 flash, which has had some issues with the YN-622N previously due to its slower processing speeds than later Nikon flashes.

SuperSync Manual Timing Adjustment by Group is another significant new feature, allowing different studio lights to be used together at sync speeds above the camera X-sync.

The YN-622N-TX includes both N1 and N3 shutter release cables –

• 1 x LS-2.5/N1 Shutter Connecting Cable
  • 1 x LS-2.5/N3 Shutter Connecting Cable

YN-622N-TX Shutter Release Cords N1 & N3

A nice video review here by David Carrico.

Compatible cameras -

Nikon: D70, D70S, D80, D90, D200, D300S, D600, D700, D800, D3000, D3100, D3200, D5000, D5100, D5200, D5300, D7000, D7100,

Although not listed (or tested) by YongNuo, a number of reports have confirmed the D3s and D4 are also working well.

Compatible Slave Flash Units

There are currently no flashes with YN-622N-TX compatible receiver built in. Any slave flash fired via radio will require a YN-622N attached as a receiver unit.

UPDATE – The YN685 For Nikon with YN-622N compatible radio receiver built inside are now available.

Nikon ITTL compatible flash units SB-400, SB-600, SB-700, SB-800, SB-900, SB-910.

YongNuo Compatible flashes are any of the EX series for Nikon (except the YN-560 EX) –

YN685 – ITTL and HSS, with YN622N compatible radio receiver built inside.
YN-568EX
 – ITTL and HSS – (but no HV Battery Port)
YN-565EX – ITTL and HV Battery Port – (but no HSS)

Firmware Updates -

There have been a number of firmware updates tweaking small issues and adding features.

Please see the YongNuo Website here (bottom of the page) for the latest firmware and updater software.

PRICE AND AVAILABILITY -

YN-622N-TX for Nikon are available now from around $45 –

YN-622N-TX – Amazon, YongNuo AmazonUK, Ebay, YongNuo Ebay, Adorama, B&H Photo

YN622N II – AmazonYongNuo Amazon, UK, Ebay, YongNuo Ebay, Adorama, B&H Photo

YongNuo – Website

1. Robert 3 years ago

Can I use the YN 622N Tx and YN 622N with a Phottix Mitros for Nikon?

Hi Robert,

There have been some reports of the Mitros working with the YN-622N. I’m not exactly sure about the YN-622N-TX though.

The Canon versions don’t work together though, so I’d still be a little wary with Nikon as well. If you’re looking at buying the flash for use with the YongNuo triggers, it would likely be safer to stick with Nikon or YongNuo flashes if possible.

2. Baris 3 years ago

Can we use these triggers to fire YongNuo YN-560 III? I have Nikon D800 and sb910 will be getting YN 658EX or YN 656EX but like to have to be able to fire the YN560 II if you could kindly reply will be appreciated. really good articals keep up the good work and many thanks :)

Hi Baris,

You can simply fire a YN-560 II or YN-560 III using a YN-622N as receiver connected to the flash. There is no remote control of the flash at all though.

If possible it would be more convenient to trade the YN-560 III for a YN-565EX. Thanks.

3. gushendra 3 years ago

I have purchased yn622tx, run a quick test on d7000 using 50mm 1.8g lens and a sb 900, it works as described in the manual, for both ttl and manual power setting. I did another experiment with yn 560 sitting on yn 622n trying hss on that flash, well it works, but only at full power.

• gushendra 3 years ago

I mean yn 560 II :D

Hi gushendra,

Thanks, yes that is quite normal. As the YN-560 II are not a HSS enabled flash, you’re using the Long Duration Sync method, or Supersync as YongNuo call it.

Supersync will only work at full power with speedlites as that is where they have the longest flash duration. You can see an illustrated description of HSS and Long duration Sync here. Thanks.

• gushendra 3 years ago

Thanks for the explanation :)

4. Larry 3 years ago

I recently purchased a YN622N-TX and YN622N for my D7000 and my SB600. It was my understanding that the SB600 was fully compatible, are you saying it isn’t? Other than turning the flash on, will I be able to remotely adjust the flash power.

What third party flash do you like that will work with the YN622N-TX, YN622N and D7000.

Thanks – Larry

Hi Larry,

As far as I am aware the SB-600 should be fully compatible. Yes you should be able to adjust the flash power quite easily through the YN-622N-TX interface on the camera hotshoe.

I possible the best option for third party flashes would be to stick with YongNuo. That way you can at least be sure they will remain compatible with future firmware updates for the YN-622N-X etc.

The YN-568EX is the best option if you want HSS, otherwise there is the YN-565EX.

The YN-565EX has an external battery port while the YN-568EX does not. Thanks.

5. Rick 3 years ago

I have purchased 4 Yongnuo YN-622N transceivers and a YN-622N-TX to use as iTTL wireless triggers and receivers. The system seems to work well on my D600 with my SB-700 and YN-568EX
    flashes, but will not work at all with my SB-910. I tried to download and install the latest driver and firmware on the TX but my computer would not recognized the TX and it failed to install. Do you have any help in fixing the issue? The firmware on the TX is 1.05 which seems to be the latest available.

Hi Rick,

Yes I think 1.05 is that latest version anyway. I haven’t heard of any specific issue with the SB-910 before. Have you tried doing a factory reset on all the triggers? Thanks.

6. Rick 3 years ago

Thank you for your response. Yes I tried resetting both the transceivers and TX. No firing from the sb-910. The sb-910 does fire when the TX is set to M mode, but does not seem to be responsive to power setting or zoom commands. Any further suggestions?

Can you try using the YN-622N as both transmitter and receiver and see how that goes?

• Rick 3 years ago

Tried this but it does not work either. Is there someone at Yongnuo that That I should connect with?

Hi Rick,

You would have to contact service@hkyongnuo.com

I don’t think there is much they can do here though. Its very unusual that you are just having issues with the SB-910.

Are you sure the batteries in the SB are well charged, and you have the flash properly seated all the way on the hotshoe? That’s a lot easier than it sounds to miss. You could also try cleaning the contacts on the SB-910 foot with some Isoproply alcohol or contact cleaner.

Ideally I would want to try another SB-910 if possible. Its not possibly a setting on that flash? Can you set that back to default settings?

7. Rick 3 years ago

I have checked batteries and contacts with the transceivers and still no flash on TTL. The SB-910 works fine on my D600 hotshoe. Have also tried cleaning the contacts on the SB-910 and no success. I will have to investigate how to do a factory reset on the SB-910 as I have never had any issues with it. Will let you know the results

• Rick 3 years ago

An update on my issue with the Nikon SB-910. Was finally able to reset it to factory. It now works with the YN-622N-TX in TTL mode. Hurray! Have not tried additional modes, but will post issues if they occur. Thanks for your help a while ago.

8. JR 3 years ago

I’ve been reading the manuals but I’m having a hard time understanding how the HSS works here. Does it work like the Cactus V6s where a TTL/HSS capable flash must be mounted on the camera as well to fire off pre-flashes?

Are pre-flashes used at all and considering that will HSS work if the intended flashes are contained in a softbox that is entirely enclosed?

Thanks.

Hi JR,

No the HSS function here is really nothing like the Cactus V6. The V6 being fully manual triggers don’t really have their own HSS function, and they need to piggyback off a TTL flash or trigger like the YN-622N-TX that does.

The YN-622N-TX are basically like placing a TTL and HSS enabled flash on your camera hotshoe. The YN-622 act like they are a dedicated TTL flash on the camera hotshoe, but then send the signals via radio to the remote YN-622 receivers and flashes mounted on those.

There are still pre-flashes, but apart from the ones used for the camera to take a meter readings (when using TTL exposure) the pre-flashes are basically redundant. The communication between camera and receivers is all now done via radio. The pre-flashes can’t easily be removed, so they are still there, but they are no longer being used for communication purposes.

I hope that makes some sense. Thanks.

• JR 3 years ago

That makes a lot of sense…thank you so much for explaining.

I’m happy to hear that the radio signal is actually being used to trigger/sync the remote HSS flashes and that the pre-flashes are more or less just a side-effect. I think this feature gives the YNs a slight edge over the Cactus in my opinion…I was debating between the two. The Cactus have a really nice design and clear smooth implementation but I don’t want to have to “waste” a TTL flash being put in my camera just to trigger the other ones.

Beyond that, until someone comes out with the actual triggers inside of the flash doing all this same stuff I think these particular Yongnuo models are the way to go here. So much bang for the buck.

No worries, Phottix do already have a Nikon compatible radio flash with the Mitros+. YongNuo will likely put the YN-622 inside the flash units at some stage. They are just a bit slow with new products now.

Yes the TTL systems like the YN-622 have significant advantages over manual systems like the V6, if you require TTL, HSS, SCS, AF assist lights etc.

Though remote manual systems like the V6 have their advantages as well. They are generally more universal to work on any camera, and generally have greater range and consistency, as they are not sending a lot of information back and forth and processing all that, its mainly just a simple fire signal.

9. Keith 3 years ago

What is the latest word on the Canon version? I cannot wait for this functionality.

Thank you.

Keith

Hi Keith,

Provided there are no major hiccups they should be available pretty soon.

10. Matthias 3 years ago

Hi
    Can i use YN-622N-TX and another YN-622 to trigger a old Nikon SB-24 in manual mode?

Hi Matthias,

Yes you can trigger the SB-24 or other flash units, but there will be no remote power setting possible. Thanks.

11. Paul Richards 3 years ago

I am using a TX with 622’s and 568ex flashes and my Nikon D800. All works fine in TTL, but when set the TX to manual mode I have a problem. 1/1 on the TX is 1/1 output from the 568, but 1/2 and 1/4 also output at 1/1 from the 568. Its only when I get to 1/8 do I get a power level difference from the 568. I have tried it with a couple of 568’s so I know the problem is with the TX unit.
    Any ideas how I can fix this?

12. Richard Smith 3 years ago

Not sure if anyone else has noticed this but I’m getting these issues across two YN622NTX’s, eight YN622N’s and a bunch of flashes. (And multiple cameras).

If I set the power level on the flash (whilst its in M mode on the receiver) I will get a certain flash output. When placing the flash I to TTL and setting the power level on the YN622NTX to the same as manual output as previously used the brightness will be a stop or two higher.

Anyone else getting this?

Cheers :)

13. Bruce Weber 3 years ago

I just bought a Polaroid PL190 for my Nikon D610. I am very satisfied with it. It appears to be a Yongnuo product. It has the radio master/slave function. Wondering if I can mix this with Yongnuo flash units. I am waiting on delivery of the 622N-TX and a couple 622 triggers. I would have 190 off camera on a 622 and set as a master to send signal to two Yongnuo units (maybe 560) used as manual fill flashes – if possible. I would use the other 622 as a remote shutter button. Of course if the Polaroid will receive the 622N-TX signal that would be a plus! There also seems to be two control layouts for the 190 according to images at vendors. Can’t find much info on the 190 – not even on Polaroid site.

Hi Bruce,

The PL190 will be an Oloong flash.

As far as I know they do not have any radio receiver built in though, only Optic Wireless master and slave modes.

The Oloong have been similar quality to YongNuo, and they started out as a Nikon compatible and styled alternative, where YongNuo used Canon styling and focused on Canon versions originally.

The main reason I have not done much with Oloong at this point is that they do not have their own radio TTL triggers, and using them with YongNuo triggers adds an extra layer of possible incompatibility. They may work mostly fine, but I wouldn’t be surprised if you come across some quirks (hopefully minor). Thanks.

• Bruce Weber 3 years ago

The 190 definitely has radio master and slave functions. The PL190 control layout is almost identical to the YN560III but 190 has an extra button. I took a picture of it in radio master iTTL mode but see no way to send it to you. Went to Oloong site and did not see any product that looked like the Polaroid. Instructions say it is distributed by C&A LLC from New Jersey. I did find a Polaroid technical support number. Will give that a try. Thanks

Hi Bruce,

What makes you think it has a radio master? Does it say somewhere it has 2.4GHz radio transceiver built in? I can’t see any mention of that, and it would be a small miracle for $130 (from B&H). Your likely just using the Optic Wireless master.

Also it is an Oloong flash almost for sure. You can check out the Chinese site for more models. Thanks.

• Bruce Weber 3 years ago

The Polaroid PL190N specifications in the instructions sheet says “Wireless TTL Radio Master and Slave – YES. The instructions include paragraph 9 – “E-TTL mode with radio triggering (Master)” and paragraph 10 – “E-TTL mode with Radio Triggering (slave)” ( It actually says I-TTL on the LCD)

As you go through the functions it shows S1, S2, off, then a radio antenna shows up and a little icon that is a “Z” with an arrow pointing out, and an icon of a flash unit identical to the one I see on your image of the YN568EX LCD, and it says “Master”. Then the next mode shows radio antenna, flash icon, and “Z” icon with an arrow pointing in and it says “Slave” I can find no details about the actual frequency, but you can also cycle through three channels in radio mode, and as a slave there are three groups as well.

B&H sold me the flash, but their image does not match what I got. (I have them checking into that now – the their image is old or my flash has seen a model change) If you go to Cameta Camera, their image shows my flash, and in fact shows the LCD in radio Slave mode. The controls on the PL190 are actually almost identical to the YN 622N-TX control layout! Even right down to the “CLEAR” function when you press the two center buttons at the top. On the PL190 that resets everything to default settings, indicating to me that it is based on the same processor and firmware.

It would be a great selling point for Polaroid (C&A LLC actually) if this actually works directly from the 622N-TX. I won’t know until Tuesday. I have no other radio flash equipment until I get the YongNuo 622 series that I ordered from Amazon.The Polaroid (C&A) rep says she could not get an answer about the manufacturer from their buyer other than it comes from China. Don’t understand their attitude of secrecy.

Hi Bruce,

Ok, sorry, yes I see thanks, its actually very likely a Triopo flash then.

I should have clicked when you said Polaroid, because they also re-badged the Triopo bare bulb flash.

Yes Triopo do have some radio enabled flashes, but the quality is really questionable (and that’s why they are very cheap). That’s why I never considered those when you mentioned B&H (Oloong is understandable). Polaroid are obviously first again to release a new Triopo model with the TTL version.

That’s interesting though thanks. They definitely won’t be directly compatible with the YN-622N via radio though. They may work ok mounted on a YN-622N receiver.

It would be interesting to see how well the flashes work together though with their own radio system. The reason the manual version has not gotten much attention is because there is no stand alone transmitter unit. These may be a little bit the same.

• Bruce Weber 3 years ago

The case of the Triopo is exactly the same as the PL190; location of ext power plug, PC connection, shape of IR lens etc. Not enough English on the site to figure out much. Their two flashes, 960 and 980 did not seem to have any radio functionality according to the images. The control layout looked like what I assume is the old version of the Polaroid flash, which also looks very much like YongNuo. Guess I will just have to try out the YongNuo triggers and see what happens.

Thanks, yes the Polaroid branded version of the Triopo bare bulb flash was out a year before Triopo finally started selling their own branded version. Polaroid have obviously done it again with the radio TTL flash. Triopo announced it was coming a long time ago so we knew it was coming eventually.

Unfortunately they are difficult to communicate with. Their facebook page stopped dead quite a while ago, to they may not have anyone to deal with enquirers in English anymore.

Let us know how the YN-622N go. Thanks.

• Bruce Weber 3 years ago

On the Amazon site page for the 622N-TX it says to download the latest driver and software package before “upgrading”. But the Yongnuo site has only been up once in the last week. And when I did get on, I found no download area. . Is customer service going to be a nightmare?

14. Bruce Weber 3 years ago

The Yongnuo site was up and I was able to get the English version loaded, and also download the software and manual!

15. Jonathan 3 years ago

Hi, the 622-TX doesn’t work correctly with Nikon D800. Body exosure compensation influences flash output much more than CLS. Too bad :-(

16. James 3 years ago

Need help please. I just purchased the 622n -TX and 2 of the 622n transceivers. I am using them with my Nikon D7000 and SB-700 flash. When I mount the TX to the camera hot shoe, the camera doesn’t recognize it. For instance, when I press the flash icon button to make flash changes, the pop up flash goes up. With a transceiver mounted to my flash the TX recognizes it when I press the test button. I have verified group and channel is the same. Everything works great with transceivers mounted to both camera and flash. I looked over the manual and even tried putting one of the supplied cables from the TX to the camera body. I can’t understand what could be wrong. Any ideas? Thank you.

• James 3 years ago

I just solved my own problem with my 622N – TX. I took it off of the camera again and noticed a small piece of plastic on the hot shoe contact. The plastic was from the packaging bubble wrap. Took it off and remounted. Now it works like a charm!

17. Linus 3 years ago

Hi.

I’ve made plans about getting the Yongnuo YN-622N-TX and two YN-622N transcievers. Will this setup work with the meike mk-910 flash? If not, which flash with similar functionality and price (88£, 150$) is the best choice?

My current setup is a Nikon D600 and a SB-400.

Hi Linus,

I’m really not sure about the mk-900, though maybe others have experience with this.

The main safe option as far as compatibility goes, and if you want HSS, are the YongNuo YN-568EX, and if you don’t need HSS the YN-565EX II. Thanks.

• Linus 3 years ago

Thanks for the quick reply. I asked Yongnuo on their FB page and the answer was that they hadn’t tested the Meike MK-910 flash and couldn’t confirm compatibility. I’ll probably get the YN-568EX or try to get a cheap used SB-700 (if there is such a thing) instead.

18. Ann 3 years ago

Synchronizing multiple cameras:

Has anyone tried putting a YN 622n-TX on each of two cameras and firing both simultaneously from a hand-held YN 622n transceiver using the same channel?

And does it work?

• degeost 3 years ago

Tried it? Yes. Work? Yes. Work well, consistently? Not to the point where I would risk income.

Worked best when I set the each TX to same channel, and set groups A,B,C to nothing ie not TTL, M, nor SS, which means no flash controlled. TXs mounted on D600 and D610, and fired TXs with 622N on same channel. I pressed and held test button on 622N until each camera “settled” (auto focus), then released test button. Worked probably 9 out of 10 times in daylight conditions indoors. In the 1 out of 10 times, one or both cameras fired as soon as I pressed the test button on the 622N but before I released the test button. So in good light, without flash it works, mostly.

Worked OK (for my purposes) 5 out of 10 with flashes (SB700s) when I set 1 or 2 groups on one TX to TTL with flashes on 622Ns and the third group on the second TX with one or more SB700s in that group. This gave each camera its own flash to use to meter light for exposure. Both TXs and all 622Ns must be on same channel.

Worked poorly with both TXs trying to control the same group or groups, as expected. Almost always fired both cameras, but one or both cameras produced a badly underexposed image.

Didn’t try M settings on the TXs because I mostly use TTL. Note that if the TXs are set to AU (auto) for zoom and the flash units are used without the diffuser cap (again SB700s) and each camera has a different focal length, you get a momentarily amusing flash zoom war as each TX tries to adjust the zoom feature on the flashes.

Anyway, something I tried on a rainy day!

19. Litttle Mick 3 years ago

Finally – a site that is based on knowledge and expertise!

I am branching out from the Nikon CLS which, in all fairness, is pretty good to using some studio strobes which is where the CLS system fails. Has anyone had the success of syncing 2 SB800 and a pair of Metz BL400 using a YONGNUO YN-622N-TX i-TTL as the trigger and a bunch of YONGNUO YN-622N-transceivers? Or is their a better way of doing this? Forgive my ignorance I am at the base of the knowledge cliff!

Keep up the good work

Hi Mick,

Thanks, yes that should work fine. There is no remote control with the BL400 strobes though, the YN-622N receivers will just fire them in sync with the SB800’s (which can use remote manual or TTL etc at the same time).

There is not really any better way to go about it, other than possibly higher end / quality triggers like the Phottix Odin. The YN-622N do a pretty good job though. Thanks.

• Litttle Mick 3 years ago

That’s brilliant! Thank you for your most speedy reply.

Best to you all.

20. George 3 years ago

Hi Guys, is there is any way (hack) to use YN622n TX with an on camera flash ?

21. Alan 3 years ago

just a quick info/warning for anybody who wants to buy the YN-622n Units:

Flash value lock does not work!!! (Tested both with D800 and D810.)

Very disappointed by this as this is a very useful feature (expecially when using TTL), not only combining the best of both worlds TTL and manual flash, but also preventing eye blinking of some fast humans, saving batteries and allowing faster release.

Mailed them two times. First they denied the problem (though it is obvious and tested with several bodies) then they just didn’t feel the need to answer. Their products might be cheaper than the competition, but they are obviously not tested thoroughly and there’s no proper customer support. :-/ (FVL works flawlessly on more expensive products of the competition)

Hi Alan,

Thanks for the feedback. I think this is the first time I have heard of that issue, so I’m not sure what’s happening there. Maybe others can confirm if this is not working with other cameras as well.

The Flash Exposure Lock definitely works with the Canon version though.

• Alan 3 years ago

Yes, it seems in general, that the Yongnuo technicians know more about the Canon system. There were (and still are) bugs concerning exposure compensation, depending on the body, seems they are not really into the Nikon CLS :-/ But that’s another topic.

We tested flash value lock both
        (1) with the newer YN622N-TX sender and
        (2) a SB-910 as a master on top an ordnary YN622N unit

We tested several units both with Nikon D800E and D810. -> FVL simply doen’t work (only the first exposure is correct). As it doesn’t work with constellation (2) I guess this problem can not be fixed via firmware upgrade. Seems they simply forgot to implement FVL when designing the protocol of the 622-units.

In my personal view this is a deal breaker. Would like the units otherwise.

Apart from that I really don’t like that Yongnuo didn’t respond to emails concerning this topic :-/

• Mike Lubchenko 2 years ago

I made this video about the problem, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_ns6qpaIoY partly to warn others (as I did not know about the flash value lock problem before and now own one YN622N-TX and five YN622N transceivers, all of which I consider to be mostly useless without a proper functioning FVL), and partly in the hopes that Yongnuo will 1. understand the problem, 2. fix it.

Then Yongnuo can move on to fixing the inability to use a flash meter with YN622’s when the flashes are set to TTL and YN622N-TX set to TTL or Manual. Next, they can fix the problem with the flash output difference between when the flash is set to manual (with the YN622N-TX set to manual) vs. flash set to TTL with the YN622N-TX set to manual (seems to be nearly 3 stops difference even when set to the same flash output numbers/values).

Thanks Mike and Alan.

Can you please report this to service@hkyongnuo.com

They should be able to fix this with a firmware update eventually.

Variation in the pseudo manual power levels is not unusual, but they should be able to tweak and refine those as well.

• Mike Lubchenko 2 years ago

I’ve written to Yongnuo a couple of times, and it’s actually part of why I made the video. Yongnuo’s email responses seemed to indicate they were unaware of the FV Lock problem, and that the service rep didn’t really understand their own product, my questions, the problems, etc. So I made the video demonstrating that while their YN568EX works perfectly with my D800 using FV Lock, as soon as you put the YN622N-TX and YN622N in between the YN568EX and D800, you can only take a single shot using FV Lock, and then you have to reset FV Lock each and every time (mostly defeats the purpose of FV Lock if you have to reset it every time). Unfortunately, what I forgot was that China blocks all (legal) access to Youtube, so the Yongno rep can’t even watch the video. I may try posting it to Youku.com instead, it’s just that it would be a challenge navigating all the Chinese text in order to post the video.

As for the real-manual vs. pseudo manual power differences, it’s lower on my list of YN622N-TX complaints. I’d have to rank things as:

1. fix FV Lock problem.
              2. fix the annoying pre-flash when speedlight set to TTL, but with YN622N-TX set to manual, so that I can meter with a flash meter (yeah, that’s a problem with almost every wireless system available).
              3. fix the real-manual vs. pseudo manual power differences.
              4. ? There are probably other problems too, just haven’t found them yet.

Thanks Mike,

I wouldn’t worry about battling too much with the customer service, as long as the report gets to the engineer they will sort it out. If anything just ask to please forward this to the engineer as he will understand this is a genuine issue.

Regarding the pre-flash with pseudo manual power levels, its highly unlikely these pre-flashes will be removed, as most TTL systems that work this way have not been able to remove these pre-flashes. Its only PocketWizard TT1/TT5 that don’t have them with Nikon, and I’m not sure why their system has been able to avoid this.

The only other one is the Phottix Odin when using the Mitros+ flash. Because Phottix built the flash as well, they can design that not to pre flash when using radio. Where they can’t change the design of Nikon flashes etc.

• Mike Lubchenko 2 years ago

After writing to Yongnuo’s customer service four times about the flash value lock problem, I got this reply today, “We have report[ed] this issue to the relevant department, please be patient waiting for our reply.” So maybe this is progress.

• mustafa 2 years ago

Hi. I also cant use properl on my d810 :(

22. Mike Lubchenko 2 years ago

Re: pre-flash and flash meters. If I had to guess, the problem does stem from the flashes (regardless of brand) automatically pre-flashing as long as they’re set to TTL and receive the fire signal. . . although, the exception to that seems to be that when I press the Test/Pilot button on the YN568EX or my SB-800, both skip the pre-flash even when they’re in TTL mode. Maybe the Test/Pilot button is using a different (more direct) signal than what the flash gets through the hot-shoe or port when triggered any other way.

I too am not entirely sure how PocketWizard manages it, but the fact that only the Sekonic L-758 works with it, leads me to assume it’s actually the flash meter that’s the key, not the transmitters. Since I don’t own a PW system, I’m only guessing that the pre-flashes still do occur, it’s just that the L-758 has probably been programed to ignore the pre-flashes and only measure (or at least only store) the final flash when working with the PW transmitter module.

Re: Yongnuo engineers. In my latest letter to the service rep, I did ask that the engineers try two tests: one test with a YN568EX directly mounted to a Nikon camera with Flash Value Lock capability, and the second test repeating the actions of the first test but using a YN622N-TX and YN622N in between. I asked that they activate the FV Lock, and then take two photos for each test. If they follow the instructions properly, it should work both times in the first test, and then only once in the second test.

• Greig 2 years ago

Hi Mike
      Just found your issue when I was looking for a solution to eliminating the TTL Pre-flash so that I could use a light meter and not confuse it with Pre-Flash. I also have basically your exact system, however, I’m not as blessed as you, only having a D7000 (am looking at the D810 and D750 when the wife isn’t looking). Finding out about FVL is great for metering situations but you got me worried so decided to test my system after seeing your video and comments above.
      I have the YN-568EX flashes and YN-622n and YN-622TX triggers as you have. I have set them up exactly as above in your tests and the FVL works perfectly with my D7000.
      Initially I had the 1.04 firmware on the 622TX and no problems with FVL, use it to get the FV and then take a shot and I can keep taking shot after shot. I’ve since updated to firmware 1.05 (note the beta, could this be your problem?) I’m in TTL on everything as FVL doesn’t work with manual anyway.
      I also tried FVL with just YN-622 triggers and YN-568EX flashes one on top of the camera and one off-camera. FVL works perfectly.
      Have you tried another camera to see if you get your issue above.
      The only difference that I see with our setups is that you are suing a D800 and I’m using a D7000. These bodies are quite similar in the internal workings and button layout, batteries etc, even though the D800 is vastly superior in all aspects (note drooling over my keyboard), but this is the only not common denominator
      I hope you find a solution, however FVL with the 622TX does appear to actually work.

• Mike Lubchenko 2 years ago

Greig, thanks for testing it out. Following your results, I dug out my old D7000 and repeated the tests, however I’m still getting the same results as with my D800. Triggering FV Lock fires the pre-flashes, the camera stores and locks the data, I can take one shot and the flash fires, the FV Lock symbol remains on the camera screen, however any subsequent shots do not result in the flash firing any more until FV Lock is reset. As for firmware V1.05, I doubt mine has a Beta version, since it’s the one that shipped with the unit and it was new when I got it. Just in case, I attempted to download the V1.05 from the website, but the website consistently times out so I can’t get it.

Extra summary details: I’ve tried these tests with different YN622N transceivers, different YN568-EX flashes, as well as a Nikon SB-800, and now different camera bodies, and the results are always the same. The only unchanging hardware in my test is the YN-622N-TX since I only have the one controller.

Update to the (lack of) progress: it’s been nearly five weeks, at time of posting, since Yongnuo first said they would work on the issue, and I’ve written to Yongnuo twice since then without receiving any additional responses other than the automated reply.

Re: D800 and D7000 similarities (not to get too far off topic). Having used each for more than a year, they’re really not all that similar. In almost every way, the D800 (and of course D810) is vastly superior to the D7000. My only complaint with the D800 is really that the custom memory function is virtually useless, whereas it’s pretty much perfect on the D7000 (U1, U2, only thing I could want is several more) and that I would have preferred the double SD slots of the D7000 over the single SD and single CF slot on the D800. OK, one more, I’d personally like another programmable button on the body since I’m using everything available already. Anyway, I’d recommend the D810 if you do pro work, otherwise the D750 should be more than enough, though it’s probably going to cost you a lot more than just the body. You may end up needing to replace DX lenses with FX lenses, and they really have to be the best quality ones otherwise the image quality suffers on the D800/D810.

• Mike Lubchenko 2 years ago

Greig, I just tested the transceivers, without the TX unit, as you described and if using a flash on top of the transceiver while mounted to the camera, the FV Lock does work properly on my D800 allowing all the other transceivers to fire repeatedly while the FV stays locked. However, if attempting to just use the transceiver on the camera without a flash mounted on top of it, then the other transceivers do not pre-flash (or even receive any signal) when FV Lock is activated on the camera. Meanwhile in repeated tests, with some testing parameter variations, my YN-622N-TX continues to only work for the first FV Lock until the lock is cleared and reset.

23. AJ Luna 2 years ago

First a disclaimer: I don’t have experience with flash trans-receivers that allows me to remotely change powera and zoom settings. So far, I only used Godox Reemix for radio triggering. So that’s about it.

I’m actually looking to transfering to the Yongnuo system because Godox products are really hard to come by in my country. I would like to ask if:
    1) Can I actually mix Yongnuo 622N with my Reemix? Like if I attach a 622N transreciever on my camera, can it fire the flash attached to a Reemix provided that they are on the same channel? (Sorry for my ignorance.)

2) If anyone has experience to confirm this, can the YN-622N-TX work with Godox/Cheetah/Neewer tt520 and TT660 flash units? Those are manual flashes with no LCD screen, I’m wondering if I can adjust the power and zoom settings on those Godox flashes remotely using YN-622N-TX.

Thank you for your insight. :)

Hi Aj Luna,

No unfortunately you can’t fire Reemix triggers via YN-622N transmitters. Its very rare for any third party radio triggers to be compatible with each other.

You could place a Reemix transmitter on top of a YN-622N, on the camera hotshoe, and fire both Reemix and YN-622N receivers then. You can’t do that with a YN-622N-TX though as it does not have a pass through hotshoe on top.

The YN-622N will only fire the TT520 and TT660 at most, no remote manual power control or any remote control or HSS etc. If you are only using manual flashes like this it may be better to go with the YN-560 system, and RF-605 receivers for your existing manual flashes (and YN-560 III for any new flashes).

24. Patric 2 years ago

Hey, newbie question..

I have a Nikon D7100, bought myself a Yongnuo YN-565 EX flash and want to use that as an off-camera flash. I can, aslong as I’m also using the on camera flash..Now, I don’t ant t use the on-camera flash, so how do I go about this ?

Am supposed to buy one YN622-N TX to put on the camera, and then one YN622-N transciever to put my YN-655 EX flash on ? Or is it really enough to buy the TX and the flash will recieve by it’s own ??

Don’t actualy know weather I need the TTL function and if I don’t could I instead go with something else, like those RF-602/603 thinges ??

Please clarifythe set up for me, and also if possible, if I were to buy an additional YN-565 EX flash…

Regards Patric

Hi Patric,

Yes if you want to fire and control the YN-565EX in TTL, or with remote manual power control, then you would need the YN-622N as transmitter and receiver. Preferably the YN-622N-TX as the transmitter though as that has a better interface, particularly for manual power control.

If you don’t need TTL or remote manual power control (or HSS, or Rear Curtain Sync), then yes you could use basic manual triggers like the RF-605, or RF-603 II.

If you’re sure you don’t need TTL (or HSS, or Rear Curtain Sync), then you may want to look at the YN-560 III for your next flash. As they has a radio transmitter built in, which can be controlled by the YN560-TX for remote manual power control and zoom control.

The YN560-TX will then fire the YN-565EX flash if it has an RF-605 / 603 / 602 receiver attached. The best option would be the RF-605 though, as they have a group feature allowing the YN560-TX to at least turn that flash group on and off remotely (no other remote control).

The YN-560 and YN-622 systems are not really directly compatible though, so it would be a good idea to decide which way you would prefer to go, and stick with the one system as much as possible. The YN-560 system is very inexpensive, compact and convenient for a remote manual system, though it has its limitations.

25. HSS Beginner 2 years ago

Yongnuo 622 and Sony a6000 – a7:
    I am considering buying a Sony a6000 or an a7r. However, I need it to do HSS. I understand that the Phottix Odin does that with these cameras. However, I don´t know if the Odin does this with native Sony speed lights, or if you can use any HSS capable flash for the Odin, on the Canon or Sony versions respectively. I have seen a video on YouTube of the a7R being used with a lot of non-Sony flashes, I guess its hotshoe can trigger just about anything. Now, I understand that the Nikon version of the Yongnuo 622 / 622 RX just receives the trigger signal from the camera, and the control between the RX and the TX- and then to the flash – happen in a simulated TTL protocol, even if you set the power for that group manually on the RX. My hope – Please, tell me that it is so – Is that this makes HSS possible on these Sony cameras, as long as the receiving flash is HSS capable.

Or am I wrong?

Regards, the beginner.

Hi HSS Beginner,

No, you will need a Sony dedicated TTL trigger like the Phottix Odin, or Pixel King for any HSS to work off camera via radio using the Sony camera.

These triggers will also be compatible with original Sony TTL flash units, and in some cases some other 3rd party brand Sony TTL compatible flashes (though mixing 3rd party gear can often have issues).

You can’t use other Canon or Nikon dedicated TTL flashes for HSS with Sony. Unless you want to make some big compromises and fire them at full power all the time, using Long Duration Sync (or Hypersync / SuperSync) etc.

You can read more about HSS and Long Duration Sync here.

There are other third party manual flashes with a HSS sympathy mode, like the Godox V850, or Cactus RF60, or any of the new Shanny flashes. These are limited in the number of shots they can do in HSS though, and still require the Sony compatible TTL trigger to fire them with the early pre-sync signal needed for HSS.

So in generall they are not a great solution either, unless your looking at bigger lights like the Witstro, or even the Adorama Rovelight. In which case having any HSS with those more powerful lights can be very useful. With speedlights Sony dedicated TTL units will be the most convenient.

26. David 2 years ago

Has anybody successfully fired a Nikon SB-400 with these things? I can get the YN565EX to work fine, but the SB-400 doesn’t fire at all.

27. Photonix 2 years ago

Yongnuo claims having fixed the M output issue by +1 stop in FW v1.05
    (and AF-Lamp in v1.04). (YN622N-TX NIKON!)

Can you confirm this? Or didn’t it match with the issue discussed above?

But I’m interested in the Free Mask support coming with FW v1.04.
    Have I really to fumble at the (camera mounted) 622TX between the two shots?
    Or I’m wrong?
    It’d be more convenient to chose the cams Continius Release and a nd a limit of 2 shots.
    The 622TX needs only to switch from group A/B (object lightning) – first shot
    to to group C (background lightning) – second shot.
    This should be a simply exercise.

Text of ChangeLog_EN.txt

“Please download the driver/software from: http://www.hkyongnuo.com/e-detail.php?ID=339

v1.05:

Fixed: corrected M output by +1 stop.

v1.04:

Added: Free Mask support. Holding Gr key for a few seconds to disable A/B group. Holding again to restore.

Fixed: Improved AF Lamp.”

28. Aurel 2 years ago

I have the same problem like Paul Richards has mentioned up:
    I have 1 trans. 622n one 622n-tx and one flash 568ex for Nikon. When I set the output power on the TX (in pseudo-manual mode) the flash fire at max power whichever I set 1/1, 1/2 or 1/4. After that: 1/8 = real 1/2; 1/16 = real 1/4 …. I tried a reset, update firmware to 1.05, also change camera…but always the same problem. I have written to Yongnuo and they said that perhaps my flash is faulty. I tried with a 565ex and all works perfect! Does anyone have the same problem? Any solutions?
    Thank you!

Aurel

29. Gina 2 years ago

I currently own a Nikon SB-600, but I would like to add a Yongnuo flash unit AND be able to fire both flashes wirelessly using a Yongnuo transmitter. TTL would be a plus, HSS not essential but I wouldn’t turn up my nose at that.

What I’m looking for is a buying list for one (to start) Yongnuo flash, and a transmitter that will fire both the SB-600 and the Yongnuo unit. If I need an additional receiver for the SB-600, that information would be valuable as well.

My inquiry is similar to one I saw above, but different enough that I thought I’d post my question anyway. Any assistance is appreciated!

Gina

30. Craig 2 years ago

Have ordered several yn -622n, one yn -622n-tx, and a couple of yn-568ex to compliment my D600 and SB-910. While doing some research, found this site and article, and am a bit concerned. Will these work correctly or is the problem described above render the system useless? This will be used primarily for architectural applications. Am sort of confused as to whether the problems described are a special case or flaw affecting everything.

Neat site, btw. Thank you for any input.

31. Mike Lubchenko 2 years ago

GENERAL REQUEST: Please TEST YN-622N-TX and Flash Value Lock

This is a general request to as many people as possible who have the YN-622N-TX and Nikon cameras that are capable of Flash Value Lock (FV Lock): as mentioned in some of my previous posts and video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_ns6qpaIoY my YN-622N-TX does not perform FV Lock properly. I believe that the problem lies in the firmware and all of the YN-622N-TX’s are defective, however a test done by Greig contradicts that, so I would appreciate other people testing their units to see if the problem occurs. BTW, my YN-622N-TX came with V1.05 firmware installed. When I’ve tried to download another copy (just in case) from Yongnuo’s website, the downloads always fail.

I’m currently getting a bit of a run-around with Yongnuo tech support. Although over a month ago they claimed, “We have report this issue to the relevant department, please be patient waiting for our reply.” I got a reply today that seems to indicate they have done nothing at all and they suggested I return my YN-622N-TX for “maintenance” however rather than waste the time and shipping cost on what may be a pointless endeavor, I’d like to know if many other people are having the same issue with FV Lock.

Testing procedure:

You need a Nikon camera that’s capable of FV Lock, and you need to assign the FV Lock function to a button if you haven’t already.

Set your Yongnuo controller and transceiver as you normally would for TTL use.

Pick a subject to photograph, line up your shot, press your assigned FV Lock button.

The flash should fire a couple of pre-flashes and the FV Lock symbol should appear on screen.

Take one photo, the flash should fire.

[The important part] Now, (without pressing FV Lock again!) take another photo.

In my experience, the flash fails to fire after the first use because the YN-622N-TX doesn’t transmit the signal.

Please post your results as a Reply to this posting. Thank you!

Note: I have done the test using a YN-622N-TX, D800 camera, D7000 camera, SB-800 flash, several YN568-EX flashes, and several YN-622N transceivers with no change in results.

In a test using just YN-662N transceivers (without a TX controller), and two flashes (one mounted on top of the YN-622N, on the camera, as a pass-through) the FV Lock DOES function properly, repeatedly firing the flashes with the FV locked. However, if I don’t mount a flash as a pass-through on top of the transceiver on the camera, the FV Lock doesn’t even fire the pre-flashes. I really don’t want to use a dead-centered flash since it kind of defeats the point of multiple external flashes, plus it would also make the controller pointless if I can’t use it.

• Paul 2 years ago

I have tested with a TX mounted on my D200 and 2 SB800s mounted on 2 YN622Ns. TTL and FVL worked great! I could not be more pleased. When I ran the same test with my D800, the FVL worked only for the first shot and TTL greatly underexposed the image. I could not be more displeased.

Paul

• Paul 2 years ago

I need to add that I did not shut down all my YN622Ns when I switched from the D200 to the D800 and therefore created the TTL issue. After the initial test, I shut down all the units. However, I did retest later in the evening and TTL did work correctly. I’ve come to the conclusion that if you are swapping cameras or are experiencing exposure issues, you need to shut down all the units and start them back up in the proper order. These YN622Ns appear to have a memory and that memory needs to be flushed when switching cameras. FVL still does not work correctly on the D800.

Paul

• Mike Lubchenko 2 years ago

Paul, thank you for doing the test. Since my previous post, I’ve corresponded with Yongnuo several times, and received several conflicting replies. The reply that seemed to be from the only slightly knowledgeable person at Yongnuo (so far) said that the YN622N’s that I have were made with the old firmware and that they need to be updated to a newer version. However, since Yongnuo did not put USB ports on the YN622N’s, I will have to send all five of my YN622N’s back to China. . . at my own expense! This, and my many other experiences with Yongnuo have led me to conclude that they are a horrible company. Had I known what I now know, I would have never purchased anything from Yongnuo.

The representative claims that the YN622N’s manufactured after October 2013 have the new firmware. Of course, I bought all of my YN622N’s long after that, in fact my first set was purchased in June 2014. Nevertheless, Yongnuo refuses to take responsibility for their defects and still says I have to pay for shipping. Actually, that was only one of their suggestions, they had the nerve to suggest I simply buy new replacement YN622N’s because the shipping costs are so high. Considering that I never want to spend another dime on Yongnuo products, this isn’t an option I’d really consider. Nor is there any assurance whatsoever that any replacement YN622N’s wouldn’t have the exact same defect since Yongnuo won’t tell me how to identify the “new” YN622N’s from the defective units before purchasing them.

What’s worse is that I’m not entirely convinced that the Yongnuo representative is even correct about this whole firmware solution. One thing that I discovered is that if I take the TX out of the equation, and simply mount a YN622N (with the defective (?) firmware) on top of my D800, and attach a flash to it (as a TTL pass-through), then all of the other YN622N’s can perform Flash Value Lock correctly (at least they fire repeatedly, didn’t check for light output levels or anything like that). Oddly, if I don’t put a flash on top of the transmitting YN622N, then nothing happens at all when I fire the shutter. Anyway, the fact that the YN622N can be successfully used for FVL as a transmitter, while the TX cannot, makes me think that the Yongnuo representative is incorrect and that the problem still lies in the TX firmware. I would absolutely hate to send my YN622N’s all the way to China and back only to find that it doesn’t solve the problem at all.

Ultimately I’m very close to getting rid of all of my Yongnuo hardware. I think I’d prefer to get a better transceiver system now, even if it costs far more, than put up with Yongnuo any more. It’s been months and months of waiting and arguing with a company that really doesn’t seem to care about anything but profits. My biggest barrier to switching systems is the enormous loss of money since I have five YN622N’s, one YN622N-TX, and four YN568EX’s. So far I haven’t found any other transceiver brand that can reliably work with the YN568EX’s in TTL, and the 568’s are the bulk of the cost of the collection I have. The YN568EX’s, when not used with Yongnuo transceivers, seem pretty good and I’m mostly happy with them alone. It would be nice to be able to reuse them with a different brand of transceiver, it just seems unlikely to happen.

• Andre Everett 2 years ago

Mike, I purchased two YN622N and 1 YN622N-TX I have a SB600 and a SB-28. I shoot with a Nikon D200 and D600
      I purchased these tigers because Ive read good reviews and the cost. I have a big shoot in April and I thought I’d better get the operations of these controlers under my belt. So I set up my SB-28 with my D200 and the YN622N and YN622N-TX. I took a bunch of pictures and everything worked great BLAM BLAM. I was so happy to find such an good controller for the price. I ran through three operational checks and without fail it was dead on.
      So I decided to head out to my Wednesday cigar Fellowship with the boys. I thought,I’ll take a few pictures with my new setup just to be sure I was good with the gear. I took a shoot through a stand the SB600 and my D200. I setup as the boys watch and got ready for a free photo shoot with their favorite cigar. AS soon as I started shooting, I couldn’t believe it, my gear started screwing up. The SB600 would not fire and I couldn’t figure out for the life of me why. I changed cards in my camera and batteries. I would get the pre-flash, however, not when I took a picture. I was so frustrated because I knew that I was doing something incorrectly, it wouldn’t be the first time. So I packed everything up and called it a night. First thing Thursday morning I was on my computer searching for answers when I came across this site and your review. SO. . . .I ran the ops check and the SB-28 worked fine no problems. However, the SB600 did not. It only operated correctly when I pressed the Function button prior to taking the picture, so disappointing, any answers?

Thanks you for going through the trouble.

32. Ozkan 2 years ago

Hi
    I have a Nikon D7000 and several YN560III and a YN568 EX. I also have a Nikon SU800 (trigger). Now, I have two questions:

1) can it be true that it is not possible to use the TTL on the YN568EX with neither the SU800 nor the internal CMD of the camera when using the flash remotely?

2) I think the YN560III and YN568Ex has the receivers built-in, so I guess if I use the YN 622N-TX I can control all aspects of the flash (HSS, Zoom, Aperture etc)? Or do I still need a receiver (622N)?

3) I guess I still will need a receiver for the 560III, but since they do not have TTL, I would still need to make a manual setting? And I currently can use the SU800 on these still – or as a slave.

4) what trigger will you recommend to but if I should be able to use it for both 560III and 568EX?

Thank you very much.

• Ozkan 2 years ago

ps just a correction. I have a 568EXII :-)

Hi Ozkan,

Firstly, there is no YN-568EX II available for Nikon yet. You don’t have a Canon flash there by any chance?

Unfortunately you seem to have this all very mixed up.

1) No that is not true. You can use TTL with both the SU-800 and the cameras internal Commander. These are both optic wireless systems though, not radio. The YN-568EX has a full optic wireless slave mode, just no master.

2) No the YN-568EX does not have any radio receiver built in. So you need a YN-622N attached to the flash foot. That will allow full TTL, HSS, Remote Manual and Zoom etc.

The YN-560 III only has a radio receiver built in that is compatible with the YN-560 system. Its not directly compatible with the YN-622N system at all.

The YN-560 system only provides remote manual power levels and remote zoom. No TTL, HSS etc.

3) Adding a YN-622N receiver to a YN-560 III flash would only fire the flash nothing more.

I don’t understand what you mean about using the SU-800 here, again that would only fire the flash.

4) The YN-560 and YN-622 systems are not directly compatible. So its best to try and use just one system or the other. You can try and combine the systems, but its going to be a less than ideal workaround one way or another.

So if you have a number of YN-560 III already, it may be better to just get a YN560-TX transmitter to control those with their built in receivers.

That is a very simple and convenient system with no extra radio receivers etc. You have remote manual power control of up to 6 groups, and remote zoom control.

You could then fire the YN-568EX as well with an RF-605 receiver if you wanted to. But it would be more convenient to just get another YN-560 III flash, and save your YN-568EX for on camera TTL work.

If you want off camera TTL and HSS as well as remote manual, then it would be best to get all YN-568EX and YN-622N receivers, and a YN-622N-TX transmitter.

If you really wanted to try and combine systems, you could mount a YN560-TX on top of a YN-622N transmitter on the camera hotshoe.

The YN-622N would then fire and control the YN-568EX, and the YN-560TX would fire and control the YN-560 III flashes.

The YN-622N does not have a great interface though, but it should be ok for one flash in remote manual or TTL.

Ideally the best option is to just go with one system or the other though.

Another manufacturer will have a system coming in a few weeks, which is basically like the YN-622N transceivers built into the flashes. So if you really want TTL and HSS as well as remote manual, then for Nikon users this is what I would personally be waiting for. That would likely mean selling your current gear though.

• Ozkan 2 years ago

Thank you very much. I have currently just bought 3 x 560III so….. :-) Which manufacture should I be looking for for the new flash? When I bought the 560III and 568EX (sorry I was mistaken, it was not an EXII) the seller said, that it was for Nikon. I think maybe, they can be used for both Canon and Nikon, but I think Canon would be able to use more features on the flash than Nikon. Maybe the remote TTL is one of them.

I still do not quite understand how to work the TTL via the SU800. I do think, the HSS works, but not the TTL. The flash does not seem to react when I zoom with the camera – no F/ reaction or zoom reaction. Only the HSS reacts. If I take he flash onto the camera, then everything works.

Some friend said, that the 560TX would also work for the 568EX, since the EX has a built in receiver. So no need for any receivers. I this this is not correct? The friend said, only the TTL and HSS would be disabled .

Thank you very much.
        Best
        Özkan

Thank you very much.

Hi Ozkan,

The YN-568EX will only work as an On-camera TTL flash when mounted on a compatible Nikon Camera.

The YN-568EX does NOT have any radio receiver built in. So no the YN560-TX or any other transmitter can not fire the YN-568EX directly via radio.

I’m not sure what issue you are having with the SU-800, but you need to set the YN-568EX to the Nikon Optic Wireless slave mode. Check the YN-568EX manual on how to do this. Channels and groups must match as well. Once communicating there should be TTL.

I can’t say too much about the new flash with transceiver built in yet, but keep an eye out over the next few weeks. It a brand that’s been mentioned a number of times here recently. Thanks.

• Ozkan 2 years ago

Thank you for your responds. I am surprised when you say, that the 568EX will only work as TTL flash on-camera. When I read your review of the 568EX (http://flashhavoc.com/yongnuo-yn-568ex-review/) you say, that :
            “The YN-568EX has both Canon & Nikon Optic Wireless slave functions built in. This means it will operate as a full TTL/HSS slave unit off camera, controlled by the master (or commander) units built into all recent Canon and Nikon DSLR camera bodies (as well as external master units like the ST-E2 and SU-800). – See more at: http://flashhavoc.com/yongnuo-yn-568ex-review/#sthash.3tgn61Ci.dpuf
            I understand this as it actually is possible to use the full TTL off camera with a Nikon D7000 and a SU-800. Do I misunderstand something here? Please help. Thank you.

Hi Ozkan,

I’m not saying that, all I am trying to say is that a Nikon version YN-568EX will not provide TTL when used on the hotshoe of a Canon camera.

As I stated above – “The YN-568EX has both Canon and Nikon Optic Wireless slave modes. This provides full features to either the Canon or Nikon Optic Wireless master including TTL.” Thanks.

33. Ozkan 2 years ago

Hi

Sorry for the misunderstanding :-) As mentioned in the beginning I have a Nikon D7000, so I think the TTL should work of camera wireless :-) I have actually tried it, and it does work – at least it seems to work – but it does not change the zoom automatically when used of camera. Is this correct?

Can I ask for one this more regarding the 568EX. Today when trying different settings, I encountered a strange kind of sound when flashing. It happened when using 1/1 – 1/16 power burst in HSS mode. A kind of strange draging sound – not at all pleasant…this is the first time for me. Maybe I should review the batteries I think, or I have used it too much rapidly? Thank you very much for your input. :-)

34. Mike Lubchenko 2 years ago

SUGGESTED READING, this response from Yongnuo’s service rep. Even if you don’t care about the FVL function, it’s good for insight into Yongnuo’s customer relations.

Finally, after nearly three months, a real response from Yongnuo!

In response to my most recent complaint, via video, about Flash Value Lock not working with the YN-622N system [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_ns6qpaIoY and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_VksjdhVgA, Yongnuo replied,

Dear User,

Thanks for contacting us!
    When using YN622N-TX FVL works for one time, this is not a problem of YN622N-TX, it’s a problem of the old YN622N and this problem exists only when YN622N is used as a receiver. This problem is no long existing on YN622N since October, 2013. For the firmware of YN622N can’t be updated personally, if necessary, you can send your speed-lite back to YONGNUO for firmware update and please note that you should pay the postage back and forth. Or, you can purchase another YN622N as receiver. The old YN622N can be used as transmitter as usual.

Best regards,

YONGNUO

1. I’m glad to see at least some understanding of the problem, since prior to this they wouldn’t even admit anything was wrong.

2. Although the English isn’t perfect, it’s much better than most of the other responses I’ve received, and I get the general idea of what the representative is saying, even if I disagree with a number of points.

3. OK, so I need post-October 2013 units, except I bought all five of my YN622N’s in the last six months (2014) and from three different vendors, and that would mean I was getting some pretty old stock. Not impossible, but what are the odds?

4. If this is a known issue, where’s the posting/warning about it on the Yongnuo website?

5. I’m assuming the rep meant “YN622N’s” where he/she wrote “speed-lite” since otherwise I’m really not sure what’s going on.

6. They expect me to pay to ship five YN622N’s to and from Hong Kong to fix the defect they made? They’ve got to be kidding me?!? [Side note: absolutely asinine for companies to be producing products that can’t be updated by users. Not just Yongnuo, but every company that makes the same oversight. We’re talking about extremely small costs per unit to add a USB port and an update capability, yet so many still omit it.]

7. “…purchase another YN622N as receiver…” yeah, sure, that will solve the problem, because there’s NOOOO chance that I’d get any units that have the same problem as the ones I already have. Hmmm, I don’t remember the boxes have a printed, “Best if used by” date. Plus, let’s see, at about $36 per unit, times five, that’s another $180 wasted. No thanks.

8. “The old YN622N can be used as transmitter as usual.” Right, did they forget that I own a TX? Should I throw the TX out along with my five defective transceivers? If I’m going to follow the “replacement” advice, I’d surely just buy a different brand altogether. [Yes, I’ve been looking.]

9. Worst of all, I suspect the representative may only be partially correct about the whole solution. When you set FVL with the camera, the indicator LED on the TX turns red. Then when you fire the first shot the LED turns green. It then only quickly flashes red on the second shot, and then returns to green. The transceivers don’t react at all to the second firing of the shutter. The TX’s LED color change from steady red to steady green makes me suspicious that the TX is the unit that has the problem. Furthermore, if I skip the TX entirely, and just mount a transceiver on the camera with a flash on top so that the transceiver is also acting as a pass-through, FVL works perfectly (at least in terms of triggering). So transceiver to transceiver functions for FVL, while TX to transceiver doesn’t. Oddly, if I take the flash off of the pass-through transceiver, then the transceiver on the camera no longer performs FVL at all.

I have responded to the representative, pointing out that I bought my transceivers long after October 2013, and complaining that I shouldn’t be the one paying shipping expenses for a defect they made, particularly since they advertised the product as being capable of FVL.

Please understand this, in the grand scheme of things, the shipping charges probably aren’t much of a concern. It’s really that I’m afraid that if I send them my five transceivers, they’re going to come back without having solved the problem since the problem might not be with the transceivers to begin with.

Ultimately, because of all the frustration and time I’ve wasted dealing with Yongnuo, I’m never going to be happy with the company. If they can fix the transceiver system, then at least I’ll be satisfied with that. I’d certainly be very hesitant to ever recommend their products to any friends simply because if you do have a problem it may be very difficult to get it resolved. Customer service is part of what you’re supposed to be getting with your purchase. It seems that this is one of the areas where Yongnuo’s low prices have a negative consequence.

35. Willem 2 years ago

I bought one YN-622N-TX Controller and three YN-622N Transceivers. The YN-622N-TX Controller is mounted to camera’s hotshoe and has sync cable from controller to camera’s 10-pin connector. Two of the transceivers are for flashes mounted on top of the transceivers and all flashes are set to TTL mode. The third transceiver is used as a wireless remote shutter release. For stationary shots: I want to use this setup in Mirror Up (Mup) mode and if possible with a camera menu 2 second shutter delay setting so to prevent camera vibration on tripod when activating shutter. The third transceiver works fine for triggering shutter release in AF-S non-Mup mode, but won’t trigger shutter release in AF-S Mup mode. Please advise how I can use YN-622N transceiver to wirelessly trigger shutter in Mup mode.

It would be very unfortunate if I can’t use the extra YN-622N transceiver as a wireless remote shutter release in Mup mode as this would force me to purchase another wireless remote shutter release or complicate/slow down workflow by having to use the camera’s timer for each shot using the YN-622N set up with flash photography needing Mup control.

36. mark shirley 2 years ago

I own a Nikon D700 will a YN-622N-TX with a YN-622N and a YN-568EX flash will give me ttl hss and i can change power.

• Przemek 2 years ago

Hi Mark, Can you also change zoom then?

Best regards,
      Przemek

37. Cedric 2 years ago

I have a nikon d7000 a yn568 , a yn622 tx and a yn622

Here is the issue i m experimenting.

I put the 568 on a 622 and the 622tx on my d7000.
    The flash is set on ttl and the 622tx is set on Manual.

I can “see” an output difference between 1/1 and 1/128 :-)

But the flash still “preflash” and i cannot measure the light with a lightmeter. At 1/128 or 1/1 all i will measure is the preflash and not the flash itself.

I don’t want to use ttl. I want to set my flash output from a distance and avoiding to open my softbox when i need to change my settings.

Did some one experienced this issue ? Is so, is there a workaround or something i m wrong with ?

Cedric

• Mike Lubchenko 2 years ago

Cedric, this is one of the many quirks/(defects) with the YN622N system. The problem is actually that the flash is in a pseudo-manual mode (TTL on the flash, manual mode on the transceiver) in order for the transceiver to still remotely control everything in addition to firing it. As a result, even though the TX is set to manual, the flash produces pre-flashes because that’s what the flash is supposed to do when it’s in TTL mode. To be clear, it’s not that anyone wants the flash to do this, but it’s what the flash must do because it was programed so that when it’s in TTL mode it has to pre-flash before firing, even if it doesn’t receive any actual feedback about the results of the pre-flashes. In this case, the real pre-flashes are ignored by the camera and the TX, and the TX is substituting the signal for the manual value you’ve chosen, and sending that information to the flash as a TTL return signal right before the actual flash fires.

Work-arounds: there’s nothing good that I know of. You would think that you could just set the flash to manual (true-manual, flash is on manual and TX is on manual), use the flash-meter, get a reading, and then set the flash back to TTL (with TX on manual) however that doesn’t work either. Yongnuo made yet another mistake in that the output when in pseudo-manual mode is not equal to true-manual. Specifically, it’s off by at least a stop, meaning that if you set the flash to 1/64th power in true-manual, get a flash-meter reading, and then change the flash to pseudo-manual and set the TX to 1/64th, the light output will not be the same. It’s also possible it’s not a consistently different value. So even if 1/64th in pseudo-manual was off by one stop, it may be that 1/8th is off by two stops, but that’s all speculation, I haven’t mapped it all out.

If you happened to get a YN-622N with the newer firmware factory installed, the Flash Value Lock function might work [please let me know if it does] and you could use that to at least limit the pre-flashing to just once when you lock the value. However, this still won’t help you use a flash-meter because even though you might get a reading on the flash meter, the flash, camera, and YN units won’t be displaying a flash output number that you can then use in manual. So you’d get your F-stop number, your shutter speed/ISO from your meter, but you would have no idea what the manual equivalent number is for setting the flash output. Also, just an added annoyance, if you try to use the method described above, you have to take an actual photo in order for the flash to fire after Flash Value Lock is set, since the Test button won’t work at that point.

• Anne 2 years ago

I’m having this exact same problem! My readings were completely off on my light meter. No work around…hmmm. So annoying!

38. Paul 2 years ago

Anybody know if this works on the D750?

39. devyan 2 years ago

make us two that asking , Anybody know if this works on the D750?

• degeost 2 years ago

The 622n-TX works with my D600, D610 and D750 except for the flash value lock problem described above. The 622N works with my SB910, SB700, SB600, and METZ 44AF flashes. The SB600 can be a bit quirky, but does work.

I found that I could use the TX to trigger a MUP exposure if I manually pushed the shutter button down half way to lift the mirror, then used the 622n test button to trigger the shutter and flashes. Note that the flash fires when the shutter button is pressed down half way (pre-flash?), then again when the 622n test button is pushed. It seems to work like that even when I use only the shutter button in MUP mode with a flash directly on the hot shoe.

BD

• Mike Lubchenko 2 years ago

As always, I’m interested in any findings about Flash Value Lock. Yongnuo claims (lately) that my YN622N’s (not the TX) need a factory firmware update to fix the problem. What I’m wondering is, since yours aren’t working either, when did you buy your YN-622N’s? [Assuming you bought them new.]

• degeost 2 years ago

I have four(4) 622N units manufactured in 2013-08, and four(4) 622N units manufactured in 2013-11, all purchased in February to March 2014 through Amazon here in Canada. I tested all 8 units using D600, D610 and D750 cameras for flash value lock function and all behaved the same way as noted in your tests. This FVL problem isn’t a concern for me as I don’t often use the feature and I can revert to the basic IR method using a SU-800 or a SB910 as the commander if I really need it. I thought about getting a new pair of 622N units for testing, but I can’t be sure that I will get “new” stock.

• Mike Lubchenko 2 years ago

Thanks Degeost! Where did you find the dates? I previously couldn’t find any dates at all, however because you mentioned it, I looked over the units and found the tiny quality-control inspection stickers inside the battery chambers. This is very useful, though not an absolute guarantee of when the units were made as it only pertains to the inspection. However, it is very unlikely that Yongnuo would manufacture them and then leave them sitting around for months before being inspected, so it probably is as good a piece of information as we’re likely to find.

That being said, then the news is very bad for me. ALL five of my units have inspection stickers from 2014. The oldest being March 2014, and the newest being June 2014. The problem with that is that this means that they almost certainly have the newer firmware. . . and that it obviously doesn’t work. Of course I have long suspected that the problem lies in the TX not the transceivers anyway, but Yongnuo continues to deny this. The biggest clue supporting my hypothesis is that the LED on the TX changes color after the first shot is fired with the Flash Value locked. If FV Lock worked properly, I’d expect the TX’s LED to stay the same color as long as the lock was set. This is a link to the shorter/simpler/lower-quality video I made so that it could be emailed to Yongnuo since they couldn’t watch my longer video on Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_VksjdhVgA I pointed out the LED issue in this video, as I didn’t even notice it before when I made the first video.

After multiple letters to Yongnuo, a customer support representative said, “We are sure that the firmware update of YN622N will fix the defect with the FVL function.” I very much doubt that now. It would have cost me about $60, to send the units to China and back, and I would have been extremely mad to find them still defective had I sent them in for updates. I too had considered simply buying another new YN622N for testing, however despite multiple requests to Yongnuo, they haven’t told me how to identify the new units from the old units (while boxed), since I assume that the UPC and serial numbers offer some clue as to how old they are.

I think it may be time to sell all my Yongnuo equipment and switch to something better.

• keano 2 years ago

Yes it works with the D750. I have the 622N-TX and the 622N attached to a 568ex. Does TTL off camera and works good. Only issue is with the D750 the hot shoe is a bit deep. Not fault of Yongnuo. It works tho.

40. debut 2 years ago

Bonjour ,
    est il possible de mettre ce YN-622N-TX ou YN-622c-TX avec un adaptatteur sony adp-ama sur un sony a77 sans perdre la hss et autre ? ….
    Merci .

Hello,
    is it possible to put this YN-622N-TX or YN-622c-TX with adaptatteur sony adp-ama on a sony a77 without losing hss and other? ….
    Thank you.

Hi There,

Sorry no, you will need a dedicated Sony TTL transmitter like the Phottix Odin or Pixel King to retain HSS with the Sony cameras.

41. soumil 2 years ago

Hi

i like this artical , i just have a quick question , i am having YN565EX Flash does it work with YN622N-TX without YN622 receiver?

i am looking for wireless TTL trigger for YN565EX Flash , I am having Nikon D5300 DSLR, Can you suggest me best Flash options with TTL and HSS

Hi Soumil,

No you would still need a YN-622N as receiver attached to your YN-565EX.

The main option with HSS is the YN-568EX.

At the time of writing this there are no flashes available with YN-622N receivers built in.

42. Nel 2 years ago

Hi
    Any body tried the off camera fv lock using yn622n and yn622n -tx triggers?

Hi Nel,

If you have a look a few comments above (particularly the longer ones) there is quite a bit of discussion on this, as there are currently some issues with FV lock unfortunately.

43. Jerry tioaquen 2 years ago

Hi, I just bought a YN 560 IV, Can I use a YN-622N-TX as trigger? thanks

Hi Jerry,

No the YN-622N-TX is not directly compatible with the radio receiver built into YN560 IV flash.

The transmitter which can control them manual power levels and zoom of the YN560 IV is the YN560-TX transmitter.

The RF-602, RF-603, RF-603 II, and RF-605 can simply trigger the YN560 IV flash, but not control power levels etc.

• keano 2 years ago

Flash Havoc,
        I have my 622N-Tx, 622N and 568ex working. My question is do I control everything from the 622N-TX only? Meaning I have the flash in TTL mode. If I decide to go to manual do I make that change only to the 622N-TX and the flash will change accordingly?

Hi Keano,

Yes, with the Nikon version YN-622N you will need to always keep the flash in TTL mode, even when using manual power levels on the transmitter.

The Nikon system doesn’t allow for manual power levels to be set remotely on the flash, so the triggers make their own pseudo manual power levels using TTL.

So you won’t see any manual power levels displayed on the flash, though the exposures should change as you adjust the power levels on the transmitter.

44. Subh 2 years ago

I have two 622N-TX but the PC sync port does not seem to work on any of those. Whereas my multiple 622N’s PC sync port works flawlessly.
    So while using the 622N-TX on camera and a flash on the L-bracket attached to the camera, I have to waste a 622N to trigger the flash on the bracket. Instead I just want to use the PC Sync cord to trigger the flash on the bracket attached to the camera and control other remote flashes on lightstands from the 622N-TX.
    What might be the issue?

45. Sam 2 years ago

I have a YN-622N-TX on my D5100 connected via the sync cable.
    I can use a YN-622N to focus and then release the shutter when using Auto, Scene, Effects etc, but it will only focus when in A,P,S or M mode on the camera.

Anyone else had this issue or know how to get around it.
    I have factory reset both units, and still the same issue.

Thanks in advance

Hi Sam,

Sorry I’m not sure about that one. You’re saying in A,P,S or M mode on the camera is focusing, but won’t then release the shutter?

If so that’s generally because the focus has not locked on to anything. Though I don’t know why it would have been working for you in the creative modes (if the set up was the same).

Will the shutter release if you use manual focus?

• Sam 2 years ago

Yes, in A/P/M/S mode whether I manual focus or auto-focus, it won’t release the shutter.
        In auto-focus it will definitely focus lock just refuses to release the shutter.

In creative modes, focusing on the same area works just fine… it focuses, locks and releases the shutter as expected.

I have sent an email to Yongnuo to see if they have any insight on this, hopefully just a dodgy(?) TX or cable and nothing else.

Be interested to hear if there are any other tests I can try or anyone else had the same issue

Ok thanks. I don’t have a D5100, though I’ll have to try and test this later with my D7000, and at least try and see if this is what commonly occurs.

• Sam 2 years ago

Hi Flash Havoc

Any chance you have tried this on your D7000 yet?

46. Anne 2 years ago

I have noticed that my semantic l308 and my gossen light meters do not read the flash correctly when the flash (Nikon SB600) is attached to the YN622n. When I take the flash off the YN 622n it both light meters read the flash output correctly.

I can only imagine that there is some sort of pre flash that the meter(s) is reading. The flash is not set up to give a pre flash on its own, and gives the meters a correct reading when off the YN 622 trigger/receiver.

I have tested the flash in manual mode, TTL and using the cord. None give the light meter(s) enough light to read (or sets out a pre-flash I suppose).

Has anyone else experienced this problem? Any solutions?

Ps. I have a D800

Hi Anne,

Yes its a common issue, and it is due to the TTL pre-flash.

I don’t know of any solution unfortunately.

Phottix provided a work around with the Odin TTL triggers which had the same issue. They simply separated the pre flash from the main flash by a few seconds when you press the test fire button on the transmitter. So the light meter can read the main flash separately.

YongNuo have not implemented any fix like this though unfortunately. You could drop them an email for a little extra encouragement towards a firmware update (to the YN-622N-TX).

• Mike Lubchenko 2 years ago

Anne, I can confirm Flash Havoc’s reply, the problem is indeed from the pre-flashing. In general, this happens with Nikon flashes, when they’re used with transceivers, because of the Nikon flash protocols. As long as the flash is set to TTL, even if the trigger is set to Manual, they will pre-flash. The only work-around that I’ve heard about, and it’s actually because of a programing bug by Yongnuo, is on the SB-800. To make an SB-800 flash unit stop pre-flashing in pseudo-manual mode (while the flash remains in TTL and the YN-622N-TX controller is set to Manual), go into the flash menu and turn off the AF-Assist light. By what seems like a serendipitous programing error on Yongnuo’s part, this setting change results in no pre-flash, despite the AF-Assist light having nothing to do with pre-flashing at all. Don’t know if this will work with your SB-600.

As for asking Yongnuo to fix it. . . I did that about six months ago and they (in their typical ever-so-helpful way) suggested I switch the flash to Manual. Of course, if I wanted a manual flash trigger system, I would have just bought that in the first place and saved a lot of money. Also, before you waste any time on it, you can’t even use Manual to get a flash meter measurement with the intention of then switching to pseudo-manual mode (using the same number value) because the numbers don’t have the same results. That is, 1/64th in true-manual isn’t the same as 1/64th in pseudo-manual because Yongnuo screwed something up.

47. moshe samuel 2 years ago

do you know if the nikon tansmitter version van control canons receivers?

Hi moshe,

No the YN-622N and YN-622C are completely separate systems.

The Nikon and Canon TTL systems work very differently so that is understandable.

• moshe samuel 2 years ago

I guess they dont support each others ttl, i’m asming only about the manual modes: if i have a nikon unit on my fuji, can i control flash power on a Canon flash that is paired with a 622c? No ttl is needed.

If by “nikon unit” you’re meaning a YN-622N or YN-622N-TX as transmitter, then no you still can’t fire a Canon YN-622C receiver.

The Canon YN-622C-TX can be used on any camera (like the Fuji) and still provide remote manual power control with compatible TTL flashes attached to YN-622C receivers.

You can’t directly mix the Canon and Nikon YN-622 though. You could possible stack a YN-622C-TX on a YN-622N or YN-622N-TX transmitter, or possibly on a YN-622N receiver to try and provide both Canon and Nikon transmitters. I haven’t experimented with this though.

At this stage YongNuo have enough work to do just trying to make their YN-622, RT, and YN560 systems more inter-compatible. So its unlikely YN-622C and YN-622N compatibility would be on the cards.

• moshe samuel 2 years ago

Just to make it clear, i can use the yn622c tx on my fuji?

Yes, for remote manual use only though. No TTL or HSS.

48. Sathish 2 years ago

I have 622N TX and 622N transceivers used with Nikon D750 and SB 800. The iTTL is a big mess and doesn’t work at all. Every exposure under same settings is either over exposed or under exposed. (i checked my bracketing and it is off! ) I checked the firmware version on 622 TX and it is running the latest version 1.05.

The camera is not in list of supported cameras for 622N TX. I am looking for inputs from fellow members whether something wrong with 622N TX and i should get it replaced. Or, the problem is with SB 800 being old flash. I have SB 900 and didn’t test with it yet. Please help!!!

Sathish

Hi Sathish,

The D750 appear to be having issues with a number of radio triggers due to the hotshoe design, as discussed recently here.

The SB800 flashes also struggle the most with the YN-622N system due to their slower processing speeds, so that choice of flash is likely not helping either the situation either.

The SB800 are generally ok as a slave flash, though they can not be used as a master on top or a YN-622N transmitter on the camera. Though combined with the D750 issues the slower SB800 could be complicating things further.

49. AnDi 2 years ago

Which constellation do you use? N-622N with N622N-TX? With Nikon D750
    Or you can use the CLS?

50. Santosh Kumar 2 years ago

I am using Nikon 5200, I recently bought YN565EX for Nikon and YN622n-TX i TTL, understanding that it works and are compatible with Nikon D5200, surprisingly tried all setting but its not working.
    Please help me as I am loosing and already lost many shoots without this.

Pls help ASAP.