The YN-E3-RT, and coming YN-600EX-RT flash unit, are the first and only third party radio trigger and flash units to be directly compatible with Canon’s own 600EX-RT and ST-E3-RT radio enabled flash and transmitter.
NOTE – FIRMWARE UPDATES ARE NOW AVAILABLE
FIRMWARE UPDATING DETAILS HERE - Click to Expand
Updating Firmware -
Firmware download links are found at the bottom of the page here –
A number of firmware versions have been released since the YN-E3-RT was first released. These updates resolve a number of bugs and also add some features.
You can check the firmware version in Menu 4 on the transmitter to see if its up to date with the latest version. If not, its generally a good idea to update.
The update software is currently for Windows only.
You need to download both of the links – “Driver & Software:” and “Firmware v1.XX:”
Unzip both packages to a folder on your computer (for windows Vista and later – right click on the folder, and “Extract All”)
The YN-E3-RT transmitter includes all the features of the Canon ST-E3-RT, as well as extra features including –
- AF Focus Assist light
- USB port for firmware updates
- Second curtain sync (in manual only)
- Full Group Mode with pre-2012 cameras
- Remote Manual Power Control with Non Canon cameras
- Slave flash charge status does not stop other flashes from firing
- Full sync speed maintained for pre 2012 cameras
YN-E3-RT features –
- Two-way 2.4G radio communication, fully compatible with Canon ST-E3-RT/600EX-RT
- Control up to 5 groups (15 units) of Speedlites
- 15 Physical Channels, 1 Auto Channel, Up to 10,000 customizable photographer ID
- Transmission Range: 100M
- Multi YN-E3-RT can share slave flashes
- Display group/charge status of slave flashes
- Firmware can be upgraded via USB
- High resolution Dot-Matrix LCD, Backlight for LCD/keys
- Fast lock mechanism
- Built-in AF assist beam emitter, buzzer
- Remote shutter release, Linked Shot
- Flash Mode: ETTL/M/Multi/GR 4 flash modes
- A/B/C/D/E 5 groups
- Supports 1st Curtain, 2nd Curtain (Only in M mode), High speed Sync
- Supports ETTL Ratio, Flash Exposure Compensation,
- Flash Exposure Lock, Flash Exposure Bracket, Modeling Flash
- 9 Custom Functions
- Settings saved automatically
- Dust and water resistance equivalent to EOS-1D series cameras
Until the YongNuo flash arrives, the original Canon 600EX-RT would currently need to be used with the YN-E3-RT transmitter.
There has been no indication as yet of when the YN-600EX-RT flash will be available.
Separate Receivers -
There is also currently no word on whether separate receivers will be available later to accommodate other current and previous Canon or YongNuo TTL flashes, or manual studio lights etc. UPDATE – YongNuo have now announced the YN300W TTL studio light.
Price and Availability -
The YN-E3-RT transmitter is now available now from around $120 –