The YN-E3-RT, and coming YN-600EX-RT flash unit, are the first and only third party radio trigger and flash units to be directly compatible with Canon’s own 600EX-RT and ST-E3-RT radio enabled flash and transmitter.
NOTE – FIRMWARE UPDATES ARE NOW AVAILABLE !
Click below for more information on firmware versions and updating.
The latest firmware version available for the YN-E3-RT is v1.08
Download links are found at the bottom of the page here - http://www.hkyongnuo.com/e-detail.php?ID=337
Fixed: correct ettl2/gr exposure for 1D-X.
Fixed: improved light metering for cameras after 2012.
Updating Firmware -
A number of firmware versions have been released since the YN-E3-RT was first released. These updates resolve a number of bugs and also add some features.
If your transmitter comes with firmware version v1.06 or later, you will be able to check the firmware version in Menu 4 on the transmitter, to see if its up to date with the latest version. If not, its generally a good idea to update.
Download links for Driver / Updater Software at the bottom of the page here -
The update software is currently for Windows only.
You need to download both of the links – “Driver & Software:” and “Firmware v1.0X:”
Unzip both packages to a folder on your computer (for windows Vista and later – right click on the folder, and “Extract All”)
Firmware upgrade instructions:
1. When you prepare to upgrade YN-E3-RT first time, please download the driver and software package YN_Trigger_Updater.zip, uncompress it and run YN_Trigger_Updater_Setup.exe to install the driver/software.
2. Download the most update firmware package and unzip it.
3. Turn off YN-E3-RT, keep pressing mode button and turn on it again. The screen will show “YN-E3-RT Firmware Upgrade”. Connect the device to your PC via a USB cable.
4. Run YN_Trigger_Updater from start menu. Click on “Browse…” Button and navigate to the firmware you download in step 2. Wait a few seconds until the device is detected. Click on “Update” to begin. When is done, YN-E3-RT will be reset automatically and you can use the new version now.
5. If any error is encountered when updating, please turn off YN-E3-RT and try again from step 3.
Previous Firmware Versions -
Version 1.07 -
Fixed: When one of the group is set to ETTL mode, if one of the flash is not
recycled, it may make a full output flash due to incorrect light metering. Now
YN-E3-RT won’t trigger a flash in such a situation. Note: if the group is set
to M mode, a flash will be triggered no matter it is recycled or not.
Fixed: improved flash syncing with cameras after 2012.
Added: Legacy flash trigger (for non canon cameras). Now you can use YN-E3-RT
on non canon cameras with standard iso hot shoe. You need to press test the
test button to transfer the M mode parameters.
Added: allows the firmware version to be checked in menu 4.
Added: compatibility with 5D MKIII and 6D cameras.
The YN-E3-RT transmitter includes all the features of the Canon ST-E3-RT, as well as extra features including -
- AF Focus Assist light
- USB port for firmware updates
- Second curtain sync (in manual only)
- Full Group Mode with pre-2012 cameras
- Remote Manual Power Control with Non Canon cameras
- Slave flash charge status does not stop other flashes from firing
- Full sync speed maintained for pre 2012 cameras
YN-E3-RT features -
- Two-way 2.4G radio communication, fully compatible with Canon ST-E3-RT/600EX-RT
- Control up to 5 groups (15 units) of Speedlites
- 15 Physical Channels, 1 Auto Channel, Up to 10,000 customizable photographer ID
- Transmission Range: 100M
- Multi YN-E3-RT can share slave flashes
- Display group/charge status of slave flashes
- Firmware can be upgraded via USB
- High resolution Dot-Matrix LCD, Backlight for LCD/keys
- Fast lock mechanism
- Built-in AF assist beam emitter, buzzer
- Remote shutter release, Linked Shot
- Flash Mode: ETTL/M/Multi/GR 4 flash modes
- A/B/C/D/E 5 groups
- Supports 1st Curtain, 2nd Curtain (Only in M mode), High speed Sync
- Supports ETTL Ratio, Flash Exposure Compensation,
- Flash Exposure Lock, Flash Exposure Bracket, Modeling Flash
- 9 Custom Functions
- Settings saved automatically
- Dust and water resistance equivalent to EOS-1D series cameras
Until the YongNuo flash arrives, the original Canon 600EX-RT would currently need to be used with the YN-E3-RT transmitter.
There has been no indication as yet of when the YN-600EX-RT flash will be available.
Separate Receivers -
There is also currently no word on whether separate receivers will be available later to accommodate other current and previous Canon or YongNuo TTL flashes, or manual studio lights etc. UPDATE – YongNuo have now mentioned a studio light solution is also coming. Though it is still unknown as yet if that will include separate receivers or not.
Price and Availability -
The YN-E3-RT transmitter is now available now from around $140 on Amazon,
Eachshot.com also offer Flash Havoc readers a 6% discount.
POPULAR - AVAILABLE