The new YN-E3-RT transmitter will provide practically all the features of the original Canon ST-E3-RT, plus a number of important extra features. These include a built in AF assist light, 2nd Curtain Sync (Only in M mode), USB port for firmware upgrade, and added range to 100 Meters.
If you may have missed the original announcement, YongNuo will also have a fully compatible YN600EX-RT flash unit coming at some point in the near future as well.
- Two-way 2.4G radio communication, fully compatible with ST-E3-RT/600EX-RT
- 15 Physical Channels, 1 Auto Channel, Up to 10,000 customizable photographer ID
- Transmission Range: 100M
- Multi YN-E3-RT can share slave flashes
- Firmware can be upgraded via USB
- High resolution Dot-Matrix LCD, Back-light for LCD/keys
- Fast lock mechanism
- Built-in AF Lamp, buzzer
- Remote shutter release, Linked Shot (Need extra shutter cable for cameras released before 2012)
- Flash Mode: ETTL/M/Multi/GR (GR Mode only works with cameras released since 2012)
- A/B/C/D/E Five groups
- Supports 1st Curtain, 2nd Curtain (Only in M mode), High speed Sync
- Supports ETTL Ratio, Flash Exposure Compensation, Flash Exposure Lock, Flash Exposure Bracket, Modeling Flash
- 9 Custom Funtions
- Settings saved automatically
One small exception to the full Canon ST-E3-RT functionality, is that the ST-E3-RT supports 1/2 and 1/3 stop adjustments, according to the custom function set on the camera. While YN-E3-RT only supports 1/3 stop adjustment.
Until the YongNuo YN600EX-RT flash is available, the new YN-E3-RT transmitter will need to be used with the original Canon 600EX-RT flash units (which are also at a fairly good price of $499 at the moment).
The AF assist light in the new YongNuo transmitter will be reason enough for many people to be adding one to their existing Canon flash system.
Price and Availability –
The YN-E3-RT transmitter is now available now from around $140 on Amazon,
Eachshot.com also offer Flash Havoc readers a 6% discount.
Also see more detail in this post.