YONGNUO YN560Li – Li-ion Speedlight Now Available

YongNuo YN560Li

YongNuo have released the YN560Li, Lithium-ion powered speedlite, being the latest edition in the YN560 series of Remote Manual speedlites with 2.4GHz radio transceivers built inside.

Interestingly the YN560Li are powered by 2 non-proprietary 18650 Lithium-ion battery cells, rather than a proprietary battery as most other Lithium-ion powered speedlites require.

And with a pair of compatible 18650 priced around the same as a set of AA Eneloop, this should make the YN560Li quite economical to run, not to mention the batteries being far more widely available than proprietary alternatives.

Recycle time is approximately 2 seconds at full power, which is a good improvement over the 2.8 – 3 seconds of AA powered YN560 speedlites, though not quite as fast as the 1.5 second recycle time speedlites with proprietary Li-ion battery generally provide.

Capacity is up to approx 500 full power shots, which is around double that of AA powered YN560 speedlites.

The YN560Li do not provide any external HV battery port, though they have added a micro USB port for firmware updates for the first time, and a lever locking hotshoe foot.

YongNuo YN560Li

The YN560 range of speedlites are Remote Manual only, they do not provide TTL or HSS. Though they do allow for Remote Head Zoom Control.

The YN560Li provide both radio Transmitter and Receiver modes, and like the YN660, also provide 6 Groups in Transmitter mode, where the previous YN560 IV only offer 3 Groups.

Compatible Receiver Flash / Receiver units include –

Compatible Transmitter Flash / Transmitter units include –

YongNuo YN560Li

YONGNUO YN560Li FEATURES

• GN 58m (ISO 100 / 105mm)
  • Flash Mode – M / Multi
  • Manual Flash – 1/128 – 1/1 output control (1/3rd increments)
  • 24 – 105mm Manual Flash Zoom
  • Built-in Radio Master Modes – YN-560 / RF-603 (2.4GHz RF Systems).
  • Built-in Radio Slave Modes – YN-560 / RF-603, and RF-602 (2.4GHz RF Systems).
  • Supports 6 Flash Groups
  • 360 Degree Swivel and Tilt Head
  • Fast Clamping Metal Foot
  • Micro USB Port For Firmware Updates
  • PC Sync Port
  • Power –  2 x 18650 Li-ion Cells

YongNuo YN560Li

The YN560Li do not provide any external HV battery port, though they have added a micro USB port for firmware updates for the first time, and a PC Sync port is again supplied.

YongNuo YN560Li

Being a single firing pin speedlite the YN560Li are universal for use on any camera, though they provide only manual power levels when used directly on the camera hotshoe (no TTL or HSS etc).

YongNuo YN560Li

The YN560Li are available as a Kit, supplied with a pair of Samsung 18650 batteries, and an AC / DC powered charger.

YongNuo YN560Li

YongNuo YN560Li

The YongNuo YN560Li Speedlite Kits with batteries and charger are available now from $95 –

Amazon, UK, B&H Photo, Ebay, Adorama

YongNuo – Website

1. georgep 1 month ago

Neat battery solution , love the idea

2. Ryan Lindsey 1 month ago

Definitely a cool way of doing the batteries, since 18650 cells are used for lots of things. I kind of thought one of the big plusses of having lithium batteries was not having them fall out when you open the battery door, and not having to remember the correct orientation, or not having so many batteries to need to charge.

This reduces the number of batteries a bit, though I think I still prefer a battery pack.

Had I ever jumped into using 18650 cells for my bike lights, and if I had any of the accessories, and if I wasn’t already invested in Godox, I might be more enthusiastic.

3. mmmfotografie 1 month ago

NICE!!! Standard batteries and also lithium Ion.

More shoot follow this way of listening to the users of equipment.

Those batteries by Godox kept me from getting me a speedlite from Godox.

4. DevonSloan 1 month ago

There is nothing “standard” about an 18650 battery. There are at least 4 different types and only one of the four will work in these flashes. A lot of battery buying mistakes will be made. Also, lithium batteries – especially cheap lithium batteries – are highly unstable, and the heat from use in a flash will certainly cause combustion or worse.

I’m not a fan of proprietary batteries, but this is not a good solution.

FLASH HAVOC 1 month ago

Hi Devon,

Thanks for that. I’ve updated the post to read “non-proprietary” instead of standard.

YongNuo are obviously going to have to state which batteries are compatible, and what CDR (Continuous Discharge Rating) the cells need to meet. I would imagine that should be stated in the user manual.

The images show Samsung ICR18650-26J, which are 2600 mAh, and CDR of 5.2A.

From what I read the main issue has been with cheap knock off cells, so the solution has been to purchase direct from manufactures stores on Amazon etc.

A lot of gear appear to use these now though, so they all have to deal with the same issues and precautions.

• DevonSloan 1 month ago

I gave up on trying to get a good deal on 3rd party (even high quality 3rd party) and now just buy the replacement batteries labeled by the product manufacturer that I am using.

Once you find the correct 3rd party battery, you can just keep reordering it, but after I bought the third wrong type of 18650, I gave up.

• GRUBERND 1 month ago

18650 is a standard of size, just like 2032 or 14500 – the latter are more commonly referred to as “AA”. and they also come in a variety of chemicals, voltages and other specs. be it Alkaline, NiCd, NiMH, LiFe or LiPo. it’s just another case of rtfm. and someone will surely burn down something and blame the manufucturer for his/her own stupidity.

• DevonSloan 1 month ago

Unfortunately, only the diameter is spec’ed. There are different lengths.

• Ivan Arnaudov 1 month ago

@DevonSloan You are incorrect regarding the standard. 18650 as a size is as standard as it can be, because it is literally a definition of dimensions. 18mm is the diameter, 65 mm is the length. 14500 (AA) cells are 14mm wide and 50mm long. Old R20/Mono D cells are called 33600 and are 33mm wide and 60 mm long.

There are 18650 cells that have a protection circuit and a button top, and the dimension of the whole package will indeed then be longer. But a plain 18650 cell is always 18mm in diameter and 65 mm in length, with a 0.254mm tolerance in each direction, and it is clear that the YN-560LI requires flat-top, unprotected cells.

There are different chemistry types that use the same 18650 form factor but have varied performance characteristics. There are some that have bigger capacity but can yield a (relatively) small current, others that can provide many amps but have (relatively) small capacity, and yet others that may hold charge longer. In this case however that any of these will do, considering the power requirements of the flash.

The claim that 18650 li-ion cells will overheat when used with a flash is also not substantiated. Flashes generally draw 3-5A from the 4 alkaline batteries or NiMH accus that are plugged in series, and this may be enough for them to become warm or even hot in the summer during prolonged use. But 3-5A in pulse mode is nothing for an average *quality* 18650 cell. The Samsung 26J is specced to provide 5A in constant mode, and will not even feel that draw in pulse mode. Moreover, two of these cells in series will have 7.4V nominal voltage, which is 50% more than 4 NiMH cells in series (4.8V). Hence the current draw will be 1/3 less than what is demanded from the NiMH cells, for the same power output. Knowing how the YN560 series works and without even seeing the new model I will bet $1000 that the temp sensor in the YN560LI head will block the flash from overheating a long, long time before these cells even begin to get warm.

What IS dangerous however is that these cells are unprotected. Any kind of shorting them can cause fire or explosion. These have to be handled with EX-TRE-ME caution and kept away from humidity at all times. Also, they are sensitive to charge and can catch fire or explode if not charged in a proper charger that monitors voltage and limits the current.

For any potential user of the new YN560LI, if you have a friend who smokes e-cigarettes (vapes), you can ask them about care and usage of 18650s.

• DevonSloan 1 month ago

“it is clear that the YN-560LI requires flat-top, unprotected cells.”

To whom? To someone that understands all the differences in 18650 batteries? Sure. To a battery retailer commenting on a website? Certainly. But not to any average person that has this as their first 18650 powered product. Say “it takes AAs”, and you can literally buy and use any AA battery you find anywhere. Say “It takes 18650” and you have a 25% chance, or less, of getting the correct cell.

You say that them overheating is “unsubstantiated”, yet you have no substantiation of them NOT overheating. Every type of battery I have used in a flash – AA Alkaline, AA NiMh, AA Lithium, and proprietary lithium packs have heated to dangerous levels. Maybe you are right about your prediction. Maybe you aren’t. I tend to rely on practical experience.

But, we’ll see. I’m not saying I know, I’m saying it’s something to look out for.

• Ivan Arnaudov 1 month ago

@devonsloan
          “Ah… So they are 65mm long… except when they are not. Thank you for reinforcing my point.”
          The YN560LI will require unprotected cells because protection chips will limit the current. So long as the user manual says ‘18650 flat top unprotected’ this can mean only one thing. If they fail to mention that, they will suffer the consequence as many people will return their strobes as not working. Yongnuo are not stupid, I assume they will just provide a list of compatible brands and models (or even maybe just say ‘compatible with Samsung 26J’ and leave it at that).

“yet you have no substantiation of them NOT overheating.”
          But I do. I import and service Yongnuo flashes since 2010 and I also run a store that sells 18650 cells, Samsung included.

Since I don’t know whether the comment system will allow me to post links, I want you to do something instead. Type into Google ‘lygte-info Samsung 26J review’ and click on the first result which should be an article called ‘Samsung ICR18650-26J 2600mAh (Pink)’. Scroll down to the chart called ‘Discharge 10.0A: Samsung ICR18650-26J 2600 mAh (Pink)’ and have a look at it. It shows how a pair of 26J cells are being discharged with 10 Amps constant current and how their temperature raises during the process. The maximum they reach is 35°C (that’s about 95°F) or about the same temperature as that of your extremities in the summer.

I hope it is apparent to you and anybody else reading this that discharging with 10A constant current is much more stressful than discharging in pulse mode with 3-5A and that if the former barely heats up the cells, the latter will not influence them noticeably.

Comparing a quality, industrial grade 18650 cell with any kind of AA Alkaline/NiMH, AA Lithium or a small size proprietary lithium pack is not adequate. Alkaline cells are principally not suited for powerful flashes due to their huge internal resistance. A quality alkaline cell will have twice the capacity when discharged at 150 mA than it does at 500mA, and for larger currents they drop even faster. These will always overheat in a rigorously used flash as powerful as the YN560.

Disposable Lithium AAs and NiMH are much better at handling current but again they are operating at the top end of their performance envelope. Custom lithium-ion rechargeable batteries are not much better because they usually use much smaller cells that both can’t give away large current and have small mass and surface that can’t disperse heat properly.

When it comes to working under such conditions as in a GN58 flash, 18650 cells are in a class of their own compared to any AA-sized cells, single-use or reusable.

The only thing that keeps me worried – and I will not get tired repeating this to anybody who is listening – is that unprotected Li-Ion cells are DANGEROUS; they are not meant to be operated by hand.

All of us are used to handle AA cells in a certain manner: we pick them with wet hands, we throw them in our pants pockets or at the bottom of the camera sack, and we don’t care. We also have healthy respect for AC current and know not to lick the power outlets, and to make them safe when we have toddlers in the house.

But we are not used to handle 18650 and are generally unaware of the dangers associated with shorting them or charging them in bad chargers. To every fellow photographer who might read this: please do yourself a service and learn how to store and handle Li-Ion cells if you decide to buy a Yongnuo YN560Li (or another 18650-using strobe which will inevitably appear shortly afterwards…)

• John Wilson 1 month ago

Excellent information, Ivan.

I payed around with these batteries a year or so ago. Initially in torches and latterly with some single board microprocessor systems which use than as battery backup. I didn’t have a clue about them and didn’t understand the difference between the flat top and non flat top devices. I even managed to buy some Thorfire fakes on Amazon (a couple of week after the purchase i got an email giving me a refund and telling me not to use them). The flat top ones frighten me a bit!

Are fakes still common?

I suspect some of the photographic community will learn the hard way that these cells are not to be messed with.

5. mmmfotografie 1 month ago

Ivan wrote a clear and understandable posting. To me it is clear that there should be a list of recommended brands and types.

The diameter would limit but the length could easily be compensated by as spring coil.

I prefer cells with protection inside besides the protection in the speedlite itself.

Is still in love with is happening despite it a bit late!

6. Canonbowl 1 month ago

By the way, (manual) 560 are great. Got a bunch of Mk 3. Never failed on me. Cheap. Solid. Trigger receptive. Recycle as expected. I have a few spare ‘Nuos in the bag and when batteries go down on a set, I just fish for another flash and voila.