YONGNUO YN600EX-RT II – Speedlite Now Available

YongNuo YN600EX-RT II

YongNuo have released the YN600EX-RT II Speedlite, once again providing both radio Master and Slave modes directly compatible with the Canon RT radio system.

With the main upgrade from the original YN600EX-RT being the addition of a Canon Optic Wireless Master mode.

Canon and Nikon Optic Wireless Slave modes are also included, as the original YN600EX-RT also provide.

YongNuo YN600EX-RT II

YONGNUO YN600EX-RT II FEATURES

• Guide Number (GN) 60 Metres at ISO 100 and 105mm
  • Flash Mode – ETTL II /M / Multi
  • 1st Curtain Sync / 2nd Curtain Sync
  • FEC – 1/3rd Increments
  • Manual Flash – 1/128 – 1/1 Output Control (1/3rd increments)
  • 20-200mm Auto and Manual Flash Zoom
  • USB Port
  • PC Sync Port
  • Weight – 430g
  • Dimensions – 62 x 78 x 205 mm
  • Power – 4 x AA Batteries

YongNuo YN600EX-RT II

The YN600EX-RT II are directly compatible with the 2.4GHz RT radio system built into Canon’s own RT Speedlites like the 600EX-RT II and 430EX III-RT, and ST-E3-RT transmitter units.

As well as YongNuo’s own increasing range of RT products including the YN968EX-RT Speedlite, YN-E3-RT transmitter, and YNE3-RX receiver units.

PRICE AND AVAILABILITY –

The Yongnuo YN600EX-RT II are now available 0n Ebay from around $114 –

Ebay, YongNuo EbayAmazon, UKAdorama, B&H Photo

YongNuo – Website

1. Noi 4 months ago

What is the difference to the YN600EX-RT I?

2. Michael Quack 4 months ago

The difference is the added optical master mode, and compatibility to both
    Canon and Nikon as wireless radio slave.

Very likely it will also have added compatibility to Canon Cameras introduced
    Jan 2015 and after. The YN600EX-RT was incompatible to those flashes as
    radio master, and AF help light did not work on some camera models, namely 80D.

Some users reported to have received mail from Yongnuo stating that
    the need to send in ther units for factory modification, which indicates
    a hardware incompatibility.

Yongnuo claims that YN600EX-RT units built August 2016 and after are now
    fully compatible. Can’t second that, as mine are dated September 2016 and
    they are incompatible.

They still do work as radio remotes, but they can’t fire each other as master
    when mounted in the hot shoe, and the YN-E3-RT can’t fire them as well.

Funny enough, the Canon ST-E3-RT fires both Canon 430/600 RT speedlites
    *and* Yongnuo 600-RT flashes absolutely fine.

I never use flashes in the hot shoe, so I might take the risk of getting one
    of the YN600-II – it should work as just another radio remote, and one can’t
    have too many of them anyway.

3. Andy 4 months ago

I hope YN600EX-RT II fixes the following , IMO, the issues:

1. locking hot shoe wiggles a lot on camera.
    2. YN-ST-E3 cannot trigger YN600EX-RT when using Non-Canon camera (only works with original Canon 600EX-RT)

• Michael Quack 4 months ago

It was worse than that – the YN-E3-RT (at least the unit I own and the
      two others I could lay my hands upon) does not fire even the Canon 600EX-RT
      or the Canon 430EXIII-RT – and not even their own YN600EX-RT on Canon
      Cameras introduced after Jan 2015. This includes EOS 750D/760D, 80D,
      5D MkIV, M3, M5, 1D-X MkII, 1300D . On all these cameras, the original
      ST-E3-RT fires the same flashes fine.

For Canon E-TTL2, the brain sits inside the camera and not the flash.
      Trigger transmitter and flash can modify control settings, but the main
      controller is inside the camera. This is the reason why the YN-E3-RT or
      the ST-E3-RT will never work with non Canon RT cameras.

However, since the YN600EX-II now supports Nikon flavor radio remotes
      as well, there is a chance that a Nikon flavor trigger or a potential neutral
      trigger could work with cameras other than Canon/Nikon.

4. Alexander 4 months ago

According to tech support YongNuo:
    YN-E3-RT after August of 2016 support a new model Canon cameras

Quote:
    Dear User,
    Thanks for your email.

Since 80D is a new release camera, YN flash and trigger produce previously is not fully compatible with 80D(AF beams and camera external flash control menu not working). YN flash and trigger produce after August can fully compatible with 80D. For the flash and trigger not fully compatible with 80D, you can send it to our factory for revise. We are sorry that firmware update can not solve this problem, the hardware needs to be revised.

In that case, if it is indeed needed, you can send it to us for revising, but you need to undertake high postage. (Please note that you should undertake the shipping cost back and forth, and the postage sending the item back to you is about $25USD or more)

So we advice you to contact the seller for return or refund according to the purchase agreement. Or you can ask the seller for help of sending.

Thank you very much for your great support for YONGNUO products!
    Best regards,

• Andy 4 months ago

I’d rather buy a new flash. For $250, i can get 2 flashes. Since I stuck with YN600EX-RT (only use it as slave flash during the wedding reception), I have to live with it until it dies.
      If I have to do it again, I’d buy Godox (much better quality and Adorama carries them with re-brand as Flashpoint).

• Galen 3 months ago

This is great news. Thanks for forwarding this message. I’m using the older YN 600 flashes with the older commander – it works with the 5D4 but only after ignoring error messages. I shoot in Group mode.

5. jim 4 months ago

Last night I brought 2 flashes to a club, the trusty canon 580ex2 and my back up, the disaster that is the yn 600 ex. I was shooting people etc and someone waved their arm accidently and bashed into my 580 ex2, ripping the bottom half below the AF lights. , wires hanfing everywhere etc. I panicked but thought ok, i have my back up.

Stuck on the YN600 and away I went, for 5 minutes! After that the battery indicator started flashing batteries empty, so ok, i was shooting for 2 hours, even though they were fully charged, i stuck in a fresh pair. After 5-10 minutes, she died. I had to switch it on and back on again and I could only do that a few times before she REALLTY died. Jesus could raise Lazarus, but asking him to resurrect a YN600 might be asking too much.

So, i had to find a way of fixing my broken 580ex2. Luckily I had a mini screwdriver set and began to try and reassemble the bottom half back to the top. The washers were missing so I had the 4 scrrews. I re attatched the white panel back into the slot, managed to temporarily get the 4 screws back in and voila, she worked, but on and off, but it was something to get me through the night.

I am resolutely pissed off at Yongnup right now. DONT BUY THIS FLAS ubless it has a seriously powerful AF light for low light situations, club etc, and 2, it doesn’t die aftr 10 minutes.

• Andy 4 months ago

I have 4 YN600EX-RT, but I have never experienced something like you have. Being said, I only use YN600EX-RT as slave flashes and my backup is always Canon flashes.
      If you don’t like Yongnuo, take a look at Godox lines. I think Godox is getting good

6. Michael Quack 4 months ago

To be fair, no Yongnuo flash ever failed on me, and I have more than a dozen.
    Yes, my YN-E3-RT does not work with cameras introduced 2015 and after, and
    the YN600EX-RT can’t master on top of one of those cameras.

In my world, flashes don’t belong into hot shoes anyway, and the YN600EX-RT
    works fine as a slave The remaining damage is the YN-E3-RT, but I use that on
    a 1D-X ( introduced pre 2015), and fresh cameras are used with the original
    ST-E3-RT.

7. jim 4 months ago

Just about to DUMP the original yn600 I had. It was absolutely crap and let me down big time at the weekend. 4 charged batteries and it showed zero power and kept shuitting down or was overheating. NEVER AGAIN.

8. Frank 4 months ago

I own a 5D4, YN-E3-RT, 2x YN600ex-rt and 1x Canon 600ex-rt. I bought a second YN-E3-RT, manufactured December 2016, but the same with my “old” YN-E3-RT. AF beams and camera external flash control menu not working. Eveything is ok in full manual mode, flash fires as it should be

9. Kirill 4 months ago

I own several YN600EX-RT and they have turned out not be be compatible with my new Canon 5D Mark IV.
    Ihave written to Yongnuo and have got the same answer, that flashes bought before Aug. 2016 are not compatible and have to be sent “for revise”, but I’d rather have to contact the dealer, which was Ebay dealer in my case. I have written to two dealers, where I have bought may recent flashes separately. Only one answered. After much back and forth the dealer has agreed to receive my old flash and send it to Yongnuo “for revise”, charging me 52 Euros (a new YN600ex-rt can currently be bought below 90€). I had no choice, have sent it and got the new one, obviously produced after August 2016. UNfortunately IT DOES NOT function properly with 5D Mark IV either (TTL in group mode, to be particular), so I am no step further.

The YN600EX-RT has a very weird issue to reset the settings while shooting, changing all Groups from TTL to manual. I have written to Youngnuo and it have had a weird answer, like it is “normal” and Original Canon would do the same (which I doubt).

Anyway, if I want to stik to Yongnuo, I can just hope that at least the compatibility issues have been solved with YN600EX-RT II.

• Michael Quack 3 months ago

Kirill, have you tried the original ST-E3-RT in combination with the YN600 as remote radio flash?
      I have obtained good results that way.

The YN-E3-RT works okay on cameras pre 2015, but not on cameras introduced after that.

• Kirill 3 months ago

Thanks, Michael! Good to know, but the solution is not for me: I sometimes do need a flash on the camera for bounced light, but if Yongnuo functions well as slave with the original Canon equipment, perhaps I’ll have to buy at least one original canon 600RT as a master.

10. pizzetta72 3 months ago

What I noticed respect the YN600EX first release is that the version II has GN60 at 105mm instead 200mm, so it should be less powerful.
    Also I expected that version II had the led lights mounted below the head as done for YN968EX. Do you think that is better to have these led lights when you use the bounced flash or not?

11. Frank 3 months ago

As i told some postings above i own a YN-E3-RT, mfd date December 2016, not working correctly with the 5D4.
    Here is some clearance :
    We have take your video double confirm with Yongnuo. They say this is the system problem and need to back to the factory upgrade. We feel sorry for this situation. We also confuse that why Yongnuo still send us the items not upgrade yet. For now we are not sure that how many items in the stock still not upgrade.

12. Galen 3 months ago

Here’s a break down of compatibility that I’ve tested with my units and the 5D4
    (I use a mix of Canon 600ex-rt, YN 600, YN 600 II).

USING THE CANON COMMANDER UNIT (ST-E3-RT):
    – commander set to ETTL: both Canon & YN I flashes fire normally, but YN II failed to fire
    – commander set to M: both Canon & YN I flashes fire normally, but YN II failed to fire
    – commander set to GR: all flash types worked when individually set to M or ETTL

USING THE Yongnuo Commander unit YN-E3-RT (purchased several years ago):
    (but, there was an error message indicating that attached flashes were not compatible when changing the settings. simply ignored, the setting changes did take effect but the error message slows down the effeciency of these units for field use)

Using a newer Yongnuo Commander unit (production date 12/16) I had the same results as the older YN unit.

I will be retesting my findings with other camera bodies. If I can’t get the system to function reliably I’ll be selling the 15 flashes & 5 commander units I currently own!

I have yet to test the YN 600 II flash unit as the commander. This set-up is not how I use these flashes in the field.

• simon 2 months ago

what ‘re the software version? I can’t reproduce the same issue you met on YN600EX RT II.

13. Kirill 3 months ago

I have just received a brand new YN600EX-RT II and it starts with a major disappointment: on 5D Mark IV there is still a major compatibility issue – the flash fires in full power, when set to TTL in a group mode. It would also fire all group slaves, set to TTL with full power. Interestingly, the problem is only in radio wireless mode. With the new optical wireless mode TTL seems to work correctly, but who wants to use it?! Compared to redio it is very unreliable.

So now I have 5 Youngnuo flashes, which are not fully compatible with my new camera! The only good news is that they have cost me not much more than a single original Canon flash, but I guess I am at the point to be done with Youngnuo.

HAS ANYBODY ANY SUGGESTION of other generic flashes (similar to Canons 600RT, but cheaper), which would fully support Canon’s 5D Mark IV??

14. Fritz Nordengren 3 months ago

Kirill and Galen, thanks for these updates. This is the forum I find most helpful thanks to users like you. A 5D mk IV is in my late year future, nice to know what to expect.

15. dslrpundit 3 months ago

I have heard about a lot of compatibility issues of this flash with latest canon mark IV dslr, is that true? One of my friend recently bought mark IV and was disappointed with flash not working properly with latest canon firmware on Mark IV. Anyone wants to put some more light into this matter? I am asking because I am thinking to buy this flash too.

Hi dslrpundit,

Please see the comments above from Kirill, Galen, Frank, etc. (Its been the main point of discussion here).

• simon 2 months ago

Hi, YONGNUO has release a new firmware (V1.16) to improve compatbility with 5D MARK IV.
      Here’s the link to download the latest firmware http://yongnuo.com.cn/app/yn600ii_offical_fm_V1.16.zip

Thanks for that Simon.

16. Frank 2 months ago

Yn600 from 2015 and YN600 II are fine with my 5D4, although YN600 no Af light and menue bug, but no problems with ETTL. But it’s not the latest firmware on my 5D4.

17. Iosif Kapa 2 months ago

I received two of these yesterday, to switch from Canon’s ratio system (which I used via 622s) to the RT.

GREAT flashes, great system. I don’t know how well-behaved the version 1 was, but these two linked effortlessly, fired consistently with no exposure errors, I had no disconnects and no misfires.

Unlike with the 622s which I was getting fed up with, every single shot in Group mode (mixing TTL and manual groups) came out as expected, and every shot in full auto (both flashes – one master, one slave) came out correctly exposed – I’m impressed with the difference in reliability and predictability.

They seem of good build quality – positive buttons, good locking of the hot-shoe with minimal “play”. I would like a brighter LCD (unless there is a setting I missed) – and, Yongnuo, it’s time to step-up your game to a better AF assist light – it’s the only thing that MATTERS that you’re behind Canon. I didn’t push the flashes, so I can’t comment on recycle times and possible overheating yet, but I will be ordering one more flash and the transmitter.

• Iosif Kapa 2 months ago

I received my 3rd unit, and did some more tests. A few more comments:
      – The AF assist light is still useless, causing backfocus when used; not a problem of the first two units.
      – The LCD’s brightness & contrast are actually adjustable. Still, I would like it brighter than the brightest setting.
      – I noticed that, when in Group mode, turning groups on/off only works on the camera menus, not on the master flash. I thought maybe I was doing something wrong, but the latest firmware (1.13 – http://www.hkyongnuo.com/e-detaily.php?ID=389) acknowledges and fixes this exact problem – will try it.

One more comment: I find it easier to do the initial setup in the camera flash menu, but I think that changing group settings (ETTL/manual, EV, power, on/off) is actually faster to do on the master flash’s interface.

• Iosif Kapa 2 months ago

Another update:
        the firmware upgrade worked like a charm. 3 flashes got upgraded to v1.13 in less than 3 minutes total, and the groups now switch on/off from the master unit as they should. Very-very easy procedure, felt very safe, with only a minor annoyance that all settings get reset after the firmware upgrade.

• Iosif Kapa 1 week ago

I received my 4th flash 2-3 days ago, and I would like to clarify something, since editing my previous comments doesn’t seem possible =>
        the AF-assist laser on these units works GREAT. Despite that it seems to be the same “grid” type that all the previous versions used, this is the 1st time it seems to works accurately.
        The problem I had with back-focusing (only with the flash attached) was apparently due to the combination on my lens (Tamron 24-70) and camera (5DmkIII), and is now resolved after a visit to Tamron’s service.
        To summarize: the AF-assist feels very solid.

18. David 2 months ago

I have Canon 430 and 580-series Speedlites, and have the YN622C-Tx and Rx units to make them wireless. If I wanted to go to the new Yongnuo RT series, would the on-camera Tx control unit work with these flashes? With the reasonable price of these flashes AND the addition of the battery port, I am considering making the change. I have experience with the Yongnuo YN568EX II, and it perform well. Can anyone help me solve this? Thanks!

• Iosif Kapa 2 months ago

David, the 622 and RT systems are not compatible – they don’t communicate. Mounting the 600s on the 622s receivers and controlling them from the Tx should work as usual, but the 622-Tx alone cannot control the 600s. There is of course an RT transmitter by Yongnuo, which will allow full control of the remote 600s.

19. David Spillane 1 week ago

I have just purchased a YN E3 Rt and a YN 600 EX-RT ii. I have an issue with the speedlite. All initially worked well. The second time I went to use it the shutter button on my 60D wouldn’t fire the YN 600 EX-RT ii. It would fire my Canon 600 EX-RT. When I push the test button on the transmitter both flashes fire. I have tried looking for firmware updates. The link on the Yongnuo site wont work. I could download the updater software but not the firmware update.
    Is there a fix for this or is the unit faulty?

20. Jeremy 6 days ago

I have used the YONGNUO YN600EX-RT Wireless Flash Speedlites with my Canon 5D3 and had no issues at all. I switched to a Canon 5D4 and realized that I need to upgrade to the YONGNUO YN600EX-RT II Wireless Flash Speedlites and a new set of YN E3 RTs (new ones date Feb 2017) – so I did. I have upgraded the entire new kit to the newest firmware and have run them through two long wedding days. It really is a mixed bag. The units (flash and transceiver) both use the autofocus beams on the 5D4 correctly, but what I am finding is that after a few moments of use inevitably the camera loses connection to the flash and doesn’t fire. I have made sure that the battery power is fresh and flip the power switches to the camera, transceiver and flash on and off again with no improvement. The channel is clear as a bell too. I have four of these flashes. Two or more of the four went down at multiple points throughout the night. Later the flashes seemed to “reconnect” and fire for a few moments and would then fail again. Anyone else experience this or have any ideas for a solution?

• simon 6 days ago

how about change the wireless channel and ID ?