YONGNUO – YN600EX-RT Now Available!

YN600EX-RT_300

The very long awaited YongNuo YN600EX-RT flashes are now available from around $105 on Ebay, and from the YongNuo Store on Ebay.

Like the YongNuo YN-E3-RT transmitter, the YN600EX-RT flashes are directly compatible with the 2.4GHz RT radio system built into Canon’s own 600EX-RT flash, and ST-E3-RT transmitter units.

UPDATE – FEB 2017 – The YN600EX-RT II are now available.

YN-600EX-RT

Features –

• Guide Number 60m (ISO-100, 200mm)
  • Canon RT Wireless Support (Master and Slave Modes)
  • Electronic zoom head 20–200mm
  • E-TTL and Manual Power Control
  • HSS (High Speed Sync) to 1/8000 Second
  • Canon and Nikon Optic Wireless Slave Modes
  • S1 and S2 Optical Slave Modes
  • PC Sync Port
  • External High Voltage Battery Port
  • USB firmware updates

Also like the YongNuo YN-E3-RT, the YN600EX-RT flash units provide most of the major functions of the original Canon flash.

And over time there may even be extra functions added. Already Optic Wireless Slave modes for both Canon and Nikon flash systems are supported in the YN600EX-RT flash.

The YN600EX-RT are also YongNuo’s first flash unit available with both HSS (High Speed Sync) functions and an External HV Battery Port in the same flash.

YN600EX-RT

YN-622C –

PLEASE NOTE – The YN600EX-RT flashes are not directly compatible with the radio system used by the popular YongNuo YN-622C TTL triggers.

Though the YN600EX-RT will still function with the YN-622C system, provided a YN-622C as receiver is also attached to each YN600EX-RT flash foot.

PRICE AND AVAILABILITY –

The Yongnuo YN600EX-RT are now available from around $105 –

Amazon, UKEbay, YongNuo EbayAdorama, B&H Photo

YongNuo – Website

YongNuo – YN-E3-RT

1. Dave Rader 3 years ago

I had originally thought I’d jump on this long awaited unit, and I may still. But for now I’m going to wait to see what the Shanny SN600EX-RT ends up looking like in production form. It’s hard to tell right now which will end up being the better choice. Decisions, decisions…

2. kris 3 years ago

Would it really be that difficult to incorporate both ex-rt and yn622 functionality in the same unit.

Then, you have one top end yn flash that satisfies all yn users and give people an upgrade path to ex-rt in the future without further expense.

• mark 3 years ago

Yeah, it seems to me that Yongnuo has too many products that are half way there.

• kris 3 years ago

While I like the flash, HSS and a hv port for example, I don’t see why I should pay for technology (rt) that I will not be using.

Hi Kris,

That’s why Shanny have been very clever to offer cheaper alternatives for YN-622C users.

You can get the SN600C now for around $80 !

Used with the YN-622C that really has no disadvantage over the $180 YN600EX-RT.

If you’re not sure if you want to move to the RT system later though, then you can pay around $110 for the SN600SC model, which has the option of transforming to a slave for the RT system later with a receiver module.

No doubt this will push YongNuo to provide similar models eventually, but as we have seen they can be fairly slow with new gear now.

• Ivan Singer 3 years ago

I’m just hoping this is a sign that Yongnuo have finally seen the value of incorporating built-in wireless, HV and USB ports as standards in higher end iTTL products. I’ve already resigned myself to the fact that 622n’s have to be outboard and that they will never be compatible with the RF-603’s. But I agree, too many products to get you just half-way there.

Hi Ivan,

YongNuo have been very slow with a YN-568EX II for Nikon, so we can only hope they are planning to drop a YN-622N transceiver module into a flash like the YN600EX-RT.

Again Shanny will likely push them along with this now anyway, if they weren’t planning this already.

3. Robert 3 years ago

I have purchased the great 622n’s and 622n tx and the 565ex, my question is will Yongnuo acknowledge the faulty 565ex’s faulty internal components. I like Yongnuo products, but my experience with the 565ex have not been good when it failed during an event, when the flash would not fire, and strobe, I did a search and found this is a problem with the 565ex. Will Yongnuo off a refund or address the issue. I have purchsed the Meike MK910 to replace the 565ex, I do hope that Yongnuo has addressed this problem because they are in a huge fight with Shanny and must ensure the end users that their products are 100% reliable.

• Tony M 3 years ago

That’s exactly what turned me off of Yongnuo products to begin with. Of course, the one time you get a failure is on a big job, right? With lots of witnesses. That’s why I invested in Canon 600EX-RT’s. They will never embarrass me like the 565EX did. I did get a YN-E3-RT, but if it decides to fail, I’ve got a backup in one of my flashes. Still, so far so good.

However, Shanny is even more of an unproven commodity than Yongnuo at this point.

I’ll probably try out one of these, but right now it looks as if Shanny is addressing many issues Yongnuo still hasn’t, such as their AF assist light pattern. Still, I don’t know if I would ever trust any of these guys enough to put them on the front line. They’ll always be second string, and will have to prove themselves in the coming years.

I tell you though, I’d love to see one of these guys come out with a regular receiver that’s RT compatible so the rest of my flashes/strobes/monolights can play without an extra set of triggers.

4. A A 3 years ago

Would you please review this thing comparing it to the Canon and Shanny versions? would be great. I own a Canon 600EX-RT and the YN-E3-RT (they work well together) and want to add at least a couple of slaves to my system that are affordable and function properly.

Thank you!

AA

5. David M 3 years ago

I wonder how future proof these third party RT products will be. Canon AF has also been reverse-engineered, but over time the lenses need to updated as Canon has tweaked the standard.

Hi David,

At least these do have USB ports. So firmware updates are possible.

And with how popular these will be its hard to imagine they won’t be getting a lot of attention, if not first priority.

6. schabu 3 years ago

Anybody knows how the AF assist light pattern looks? If like in 600ex from Canon, that would be great. Please check this Havoc when you will be able, thanks.

• Alexander Loff 3 years ago

Most likely it is the same laser emitter.
      This can be seen from the available photos of the new flash.

7. Gabor 3 years ago

Hi Everyone,

what do you think if you should your flash gear from scratch for canon system which way you should choose?

A. Phottix Mitros+ with Odin or Odin 2 transmitter
    B. Yongnuo YN-600EX-RT line
    C. Shanny similar model like yongnuo

I plan to start invest in flash, but I dont know which brand shoould I choose… 🙂

thanks for your help guys!

• Ahmed 3 years ago

At this point i would go with the phottix mitros+ because it has receivers that you can use with other flashes, strobes, etc. If/When Yongnuo makes a receiver for the YN-600EX-RT then it will be a true player.

• Gabor 3 years ago

yes, Mitros+ is the most universal version with odin, but a lot of negative experience out there on the net with inconsistency, and lot of flash gun dying, have to replace. So im worry a bit abut mitros+ till they fix the issues, but i dont know wether these issues affected only nikon versions or the canon versions too. But in the same time phottix line is the most expensive one.

But what if i dont need the universalty of phottix? I dont have any other flashes, i start to build my gear actually from 0. So if i buy 3pcs from yn600exrt and 1 pc of yne3rt, than could it be a complex system? Similar like phottix combo? Yongnuo is more stable like actual phottix mitros+?
        What about brand shanny? I dont really know this new manufacturer. There are still not in my country hungary. The quality is similar like yongnuo?

Hi Gabor,

The Phottix Odin are really a stand out if you need a simple professional reliable system, and the Odin II should make that even better.

The main issue with the Canon version Mitros+ has been the overheat protection limiting recycle times. Some people have no issue with this at all (using high ISO / low power etc), but others are not happy with it.

Phottix are also still closest to a complete system. The Indra 500 if working as advertised should be a game changer for many wedding photographers etc.

With the YongNuo or Shanny RT systems, if you need a master flash on-camera, what I would do is use an original Canon 600EX-RT as the master flash on camera.

Then use the cheaper YongNuo for Shanny flashes as the wireless slaves, where they don’t get as much handling and abuse as the flash on camera.

That is the advantage of being directly Canon RT compatible, you can use original Canon gear for anything critical, and complement those with cheaper units for extra lights etc.

• Gabor 3 years ago

first of all thanks for your help with your replys.

Secondly: ouch.. I thought all of the modern ttl flashes which has internal radio could control 100% each other, even an on camera flash as a master can control a similar model as a slave..

I can see clearly now the phottix systems advantage. Go for phottix, and yep odin 2 is awsome now i only plan to buy one mitros+, and wait till odin 2 and then buy it with bundles with other mitros+ and yep indra is also interresting.

So you are saying its not a big risk to buy mitros+ today for canon? And this overheating issues could be fix with firmware upgrade or only with hardware upgrade, or this issue is not a real failure, its an aptness and thats it?

• Donald 3 years ago

With Odin / Mitros+ for Canon, I’d have no hesitation in recommending them. Perfect? – maybe not quite, but they are reliable and their ETTL exposures are predictable (especially with ETTL II set to Average for Flash). I’ve been using Odins since Nov 2011 – there’s nothing else out there that tempts me at all.

Phottix for Nikon is another thing – I’ve no personal experience, but their Mitros+ might leave some questions ..

• Gabor 3 years ago

than go for Phottix line.

thank you for your help guys!

• Will Chao 3 years ago

For a Canon user I would go for the Yongnuo System, cheaper than Phottix

For a Nikon user Phottix is pretty much the only choice? (Not sure if YN-RT system works with Nikon)

Phottix like Yongnnuo is also a Chinese company but cleverly disguised as European

8. Ricardo 3 years ago

Do you think the mounting portion will be wobbly as the transmitters? That’s the one thing that sticks out in my mind in comparison to the Shannys.

Hi Ricardo,

Yes that’s the main thing that gives me more confidence with the Shanny flashes already.

I’d love to think YongNuo would have improved this over the previous flashes, and especially the YN-E3-RT, but I think its more likely that they wouldn’t have. We’ll have to wait and see though.

Shanny are already saying their EX-RT have more “secret features”, but a solid design and reliable triggering etc are always going to be the biggest priority.

• Ricardo 3 years ago

Agreed. Cool features don’t help when your client is staring at you while you try to get your gear working…. 🙂

• TonyM 3 years ago

You know, I was surprised when I saw this looseness just mentioned in the Shanny review. I put my YN-E3-RT on my 6D just to check, had I never noticed? I But I can only get it to move a little, and that’s rotation only (I actually have to try twisting it) so it’s not really an issue.

I have one of the very first models, but don’t think that has much to do with it. Probably even less confidence inspiring is sloppy tolerances and QA. It’s sounding like it’s more unusual to have a snug unit!

A slightly wobbly controller isn’t nearly as bad as a wobbly flash, so this has me a bit concerned about Yongnuo’s. I hope they’re not ignoring some of these potential problems moving forward.

Hi TonyM.

You have me second guessing there, so I measured the flash foot widths.

Canon 600EX-RT – 18.50 mm
        Shanny SN600SC – 18.50 mm

YN-ST-E3 – 18.32 mm
        YN-586EX – 18.32 mm
        YN-500EX – 18.32 mm

Its not all just about the foot width, but that 0.2 mm smaller is enough to allow a lot of slopping around if the clamping mechanism can’t reduce that movement.

The YN-E3-ST will also spring forward if you push on it. Like you mention, this all doesn’t matter that much with just a transmitter. But if a flash has that much movement to start with, its only going to get worse once you start slapping it around in the hotshoe while tilting and swiveling the flash head.

I’m surprised your YN-E3-RT doesn’t have much movement though. As soon as I try to spin the dial etc mine slaps from one side to the other. Enough to be annoying to start with, but its possible reliability issues with this that worry me more.

• Tony M 3 years ago

Wow, you dont #$*@ around do you?

One possibility is that the actual clamping mechanism might be tighter? Like I said, I can rotate it. I certainly have no problem turning the dial – THAT would have gotten my attention fast!

I put my transmitter on yet again, and yes – I can only rotate it once it’s clamped. But I have to try. No lateral movement is possible. Or do you think the foot itself is thicker? I don’t have any calipers – but if I look on a ruler, it appears I’m at 18.5, but it could easily be 18.3.

However (this is weird) If I put the foot of a Canon 600EX-RT right next to the Yongnuo, I can’t see any difference in width. If I put the 600EX-RT onto my 6D, I can rotate it almost as much as the Yongnuo. But again, I have to physically try twisting it, I don’t think a modifier would be enough to get movement. But what I DO see is that the Yongnuo foot isn’t as thick as the Canon. However, this wouldn’t account for the movement I do get (rotation), but I should be getting it to tilt, correct? What do you get for the depth (thickness) of the feet?

Now I need to get my hands on a pair of calipers and see myself! I find it hard to believe that Yongnuo has different parts bins – but who knows? They might be sourcing parts from different places? That, or indeed the foot is not as thick, and the clamping mechanism is where the discrepancy lies. I’ll get back to you on the dimensions!

Hi Tony,

I couldn’t get a measurement on the thicknesses without taking all the rubber weather seals off.

The level clamps units that rock / spring forward are due to the clamping mechanism not being that solid though. The Pixel Mago feels like it has a spring base if you push the flash forward.

With the YN-568EX and the old locking ring, at least you can crank it down tightly manually. But still plenty of people complain about how loose they are in the camera hotshoe.

YongNuo may have addressed this with the YN600EX-RT though, I don’t know yet. For all we know they could be reading this and thinking we had better improve the foot before releasing the flash now. 🙂 (That may be wishful thinking, but Shanny and competition are going to help improve things).

• Tony M 3 years ago

I ordered a set of digital calipers on Amazon, so by Wednesday (Thurs for you) I’ll be able to get an accurate measurement. I’m really curious at this point. I found a set of regular primitive calipers (like a compass), and the difference isn’t enough to tell on a ruler either. By setting the width on the Canon and then slipping them onto the Yongnuo, it’s only slightly easier to slide over the Yongnuo.

I’m not sure what I’ll think if the measurements come back different from yours. As others have said, the Yongnuo was a slam dunk a few months back. I’d have gotten one or two back in January when I bought the transmitter. But with Shanny coming out – well I’m in no particular hurry, put it that way.

I’d love it if Yongnuo acknowledged some of our concerns, you know they’ve got to be aware.

• Tony M 3 years ago

Hi Elvis,
            My digital calipers arrived today, and here’s what I got for measurements. My 600EX-RT’s were 18.52 and 18.51, pretty consistently depending on which direction I measured them from. The Yongnuo YN-E3-RT was 18.44. So it looks as if there’s either poor tolerances on the Yongnuo manufacturing, or they’re pulling parts from different sources.

As long as I was at it, my YN565EX was 18.43, and 420EX was 18.6 (plastic foot).

So this extra little bit of width probably keeps my transmitter from wobbling as much as you and others are reporting.

Thanks Tony,

That is very interesting. And provides some hope this may not be too much of an issue with the YN600EX-RT at all. We’ll just have to wait and see what the YN-600EX-RT are actually like.

This is all mainly only really an issue for on-camera flash use anyway. A lot of these flashes will be purchased mainly as radio slave units (possibly occasional back up on-camera use) where there is no critical electrical connection needed to the foot, and clamping coldshoes etc will hold the flash firmly anyway.

• robert 3 years ago

wobbly? you mean placing a flash on a transmitter wobbly? I noticed when I place any flash of mine SB700 800 900 910 it wobbles like crazy. and shooting vertically makes it feel like its going to come off. doesnt build confidence in the product. they have a lot to fix yongnuo.

9. Edward 3 years ago

Any update on when the Shanny SN600EX-RT will be coming out? thaks!

10. hussey 3 years ago

What’s the benefit of RT? Just for those who already have Canon RT master flashes?

11. tron 3 years ago

Wow that’s the same that I payed for my YN-568EX a couple of years ago!
    Attractive price, but I think I’m going to stick to the YN-622c system. For an amateur like me 622c is more than sufficient. I’m still struggling to see what advantages the RT-system will offer me other than an integrated receiver. It would be nice not to be dependent on the bulky 622-receiver, but for me it’s just not worth it to convert to another system.

12. John 3 years ago

will the YN 600ex rt work with the 622c as long as its attatched?

Hi John,

Yes as long as you have a YN-622C attached as receiver on each YN600EX-RT that will work.

13. Ahmed 3 years ago

all Yongnuo has to do is make a receiver for this that controls/triggers the yn-622 system.

YN-600ex-rt via RT to trigger. trigger to YN-568ex II via hotshoe foot.

Christmas will be cancelled for all other flash manufacturers.

14. Jason 3 years ago

This is exciting. I am going to reserve judgement and purchase until I see more longevity from 3rd party speedlights. Durability has made significant strides but OEM still has an advantage over the third party. I’ll be following closely. Thank you Flash Havoc for being my goto for all things strobe.

UPDATE –

Surprise, surprise, the YN600EX-RT packaging is actually not ready yet (either is the Shanny SN600EX-RT packaging).

So the race continues! …

YongNuo have also now slashed the prices of the YN-568EX and YN568EX II !

EachShot now have them for just $130.50 – CANONNIKON.

16. kris 3 years ago

The yn300w ttl studio strobe has just updated to include free delivery, making it effectively £50 cheaper than it was yesterday.

Thanks Kris,

Is this from the official YongNuo Ebay store? I don’t see where the price has changed?

• kris 3 years ago

Yes. This UK eBay listing from official HK…

Was charging 88usd yesterday, but is now showing as free delivery. Glad I didn’t order it, as I am tempted. If it was 500 WS, I would have by now.

Ok thanks Kris. That does make quite a considerable difference.

I guess they have not updated the US Ebay listing as the the lights are not compatible with the US voltage anyway.

I have one of the YN300W here, and the ETTL works very well. For $320 I think these would have to be a serious consideration now for anyone owning the YN-622C and looking for a studio light option.

17. Denton 3 years ago

I ordered one of these and just got this email:

Hi friend ,

Originally , YN600EX-RT will be released on oct.16.2014 .

But ,today, our factory told us that the yn600ex-rt will be available about on Oct.29.2014.
    Maybe longer …. They did not give a accurate released time .

I am sorry about that .

But please know that I work in YONGNUO COMPANY, I can get the YN600EX-RT once it is released , as we all know the qty of the first batch of new item always can not meet the need of market . I work in ebay department , our company will meet the need of ebay department firstly .

So I hope you can forgive me and wait several days .

If you prefer a refund , I can make a refund to you next Monday .

I hope our factory would not change the release time again !

Thank you !
    Best Regards,
    Sue

Hi Denton,

Thanks for that. But where did you order from though? Thanks.

• Denton 3 years ago

The ebay link you furnished.

• Denton 3 years ago

In fact if you look at the link now it has been changed to ‘pre-order’

Ok thanks Denton.

My link is just a search to all the YN600EX-RT listings though. If they are really 10 days off still, then we may not see too many more listing for a while.

I don’t think we are going to know what is really going on from either camp now, until the units are actually shipping to customers.

18. Craig 3 years ago

Will these Canon RT type systems work on non-Canon cameras in manual mode? Obviously TTL won’t work, but I’m hoping manual might since the commander (flash/transmitter) would be telling the receiving flashes the power level to spit out.

I’d like to potentially uses these with my Canon system and a smaller system like Fuji or the like.

Hi Craig,

Yes the YN-E3-RT will work on non Canon cameras in remote manual only.

Its likely the other options would follow this. The original Canon units won’t though.

• Craig 3 years ago

Thanks Elvis.

So, the Yongnuo will work, but the Canon ST-E3-RT will not. Good to know.

So, if I had the YN-E3-RT with a Canon 600EX-RT and/or Yongnuo YN600EX-RT, I’d have the full TTL/manual with my Canon camera and manual only with the other system. Sounds great.

19. John 3 years ago

so after waiting for the YN600, the 3 x 622c’s I have at home are no good with it, so I may as well invest in another YN568 ii?

Hi John,

Sorry I missed your question earlier. You can still use the YN-622C with the YN600X-RT, as long as you have a YN-622C attached as receiver to each flash, as you mentioned.

20. Angel 3 years ago

Hi

In this store affirm that they if have the YN600EX-RT for shipment immediate and to a price of
    $ 149,99 USD

Link Removed

Greetings

Hi Angel,

I have removed your link, because that store often lists products that are not available, and generally doubles the price. This time the have lowered the price which I wouldn’t trust either (and I’m sure they don’t have stock).

They have asked me to link to them before, but they are trying to fool people into thinking they are a genuine YongNuo store, and will not put any disclaimer to say they are not affiliated.

21. Jamesy 3 years ago

I have a set of 622’s along with the new 622TX (and a set of RF-602’s) – all of which have been solid performers for me. I have a couple of Canon 580EXII’s I am considering swapping out for Yongnuo 568EXII’s or the new 600’s. The benefits of the 600’s are obviously the integrated radio and zoom to 200mm. The recent price drop of the 568’s on eachshot.com make the decision even more difficult. Does it makes sense to buy the 568’s at this point or should I jump to the 600’s and abandon the 622’s?

Hi Jamesy,

At this point I think the Shanny flashes make the most sense for use with the YN-622C as far as bang for buck goes. And they are pretty obviously the reason YongNuo have dropped the price on the YN-568EX / II.

The RT system has the advantage of built in radio transceivers, but the main limitation at this point is the lack of any stand alone receivers to fire other flashes or studio light etc. So its still a fairly closed system at this point.

Why do you want to swap the 580EX II’s though? (for YN-568EX II of similar).

• Jamesy 3 years ago

Hi Elv,

Thanks for your comments!

I have used 568EXII’s in the past and like them and the build quality – I am sure the 600’s would be very similar, if not better.

I am weighing the options of the closed system that accompanies the 600’s but I sure do like the fact that I could shed the 622’s from my kit.

I consider the 568’s or the 600’s to the 580EXII’s as both YN’s have the S1/S2 optical slaves which I have used in the past very reliably in the studio. If I sold the 580’s and the 622’s it would go long way towards 4 x 600’s and the E3 transmitter or I could keep the 622’s and sell the 580’s.

Decisions, decisions…

Ok, yes its a bit of a tough decision, especially when we don’t know what YongNuo and others may add to each system in the future.

If sticking with the YN-622C, I would personally try and keep the 580EX II’s as they are good reliable flashes. You can get extra Shanny SN600C for $80 so that would be an economical way of adding to the system. Provided they hold up well, they appear to be better flashes than the YN-568EX anyway.

To confuse things further, I still personally think the Godox V850 / V860 simplify gear the most. For wireless TTL you still need YN-622C or similar receivers, but the lack of battery management or extra packs needed makes the biggest difference.

They can’t compete on price now though, and months of dealing with the battery issues has taken some of the gloss of it. For people that use remote manual most of the time though they are still a standout in my opinion.

It will be interesting to see where the RT system may go now though. There is no doubt these flashes will be extremely popular now, so the stand alone TTL triggers for Canon may start to fall by the way side in the near future.

Shanny for example are very familiar with the YN-622C, though they are only interested in developing the Canon RT system now.

22. Brian Hursey 3 years ago

Will the shanny and the yn work together considering its baised off the canon rt system?

Hi Brian,

They may do, but we will have to wait and see to be sure.

Like the other TTL protocols, it will really just depend on how closely each manufacturer follow the original Canon protocols.

23. Jan 3 years ago

AS i se it the canon system is fore the pressent and the feature, old flashen and camera is a no go. Youngnou has changed that with there trasmitter, and we Can hope they wil make otter flashen to the system studio flashen etc. And that otters Will follow like shanny.

But it would be even better if they have made a open system, where the transmitter was the head of the system. A transmitter and some different flashes, cheap manual, studio strobes, eTTL etc. And if you changed or youse different cameras, nikon, canon etc. you just have to change the transmitter. That Would be closer to a perfekt flash system. And have the potential to rooll Them all…

24. Adrian 3 years ago

Shipping is being delayed because the packaging is not ready? Brown box and peanuts baby! Send it to me!

25. karl 3 years ago

i have the canon 600ex rt and the transmitter so I’m trying to work this out. Can i purchase 2 of these instead of another canon 600 ex rt and they will work with what i currently have?
    thanks

karl

Hi Karl,

Yes the YN-600EX-RT should be fully compatible with the original Canon 600EX-RT and ST-E3-RT radio system.

26. Adrian 3 years ago

Yes Karl, they will (should) work with you current Canon 600ex-rt..

I just got confirmation that mine has been marked as shipped. They must have gotten the packaging issue figured out. Or they read my previous post and shipped it in a brown box lined with peanuts. 🙂

Thanks Adrian,

Was that an Ebay order, or EachShot?

27. Adrian 3 years ago

Ebay.

Ok thanks Adrian, keep us updated if you get any more details. Thanks.

28. Alexander Loff 3 years ago

RT products from YONGNUO are not compatible with RT-products by SHANNY
    Confirmed by SHANNY.

Ok thanks Alexander, at least we know then.

• Yuppa 3 years ago

That’s curious. Both the Yongnuo and Shanny 600RTs are reverse engineered from the Canon flash.

They are both supposed to be fully compatible with the Canon….but not each other?

So how exactly does the Shanny KNOW it’s talking/listening to a Canon and NOT Yongnuo?

This will no doubt be confirmed/debunked when somebody acquires both and tests this.

• Alexander Loff 3 years ago

This information I got directly from SHANNY.
        Earlier, their engineer was working on YONGNUO 🙂
        He probably knows how to make the hardware is incompatible.

I was told the following:RT devices by YN can’t control RT devices by SN and Vice versa
        However, they are compatible with the Canon. 🙂

Of course all will be confirmed or refuted in real life.
        But I was immediately warned that the YN-E3-RT is not compatible with devices Shanny
        And also said that Shanny SN-E3-RT is not compatible with the YN-E3-RT but can together with the ST-E3-RT to manage one set of RT-flashes.

I hope I can check it out personally 🙂 But I don’t mind if it will make someone else 🙂

29. Andy 3 years ago

So if one were to have a Canon St-E3-rt on their camera as hotshot, theoretically they could fire a Shanny 600ex-rt flash OCF as well as a Yongnuo YN600ex-rt also OCF, at the same time?

Hi Andy,

I think if you were to mix genuine Canon 600EX-RT and Shanny 600EX-RT, both off camera using the Canon ST-E3-RT as transmitter, that is the way it would be intended to work (but even then we won’t know for sure until this is really tested).

I really don’t know about mixing Shanny and YongNuo RT flashes off camera if Shanny are saying the systems are not compatible.

Because the thing is the RT system has 2 way communication. Both flashes in theory should only be communicating back and forth with the genuine Canon transmitter, though I have no idea if this could cause any quirks with the transmitter receiving slightly different (and possibly conflicting) information from each flash.

In theory this should work, but I wouldn’t bank on it until its really proven reliable.

The YN600EX-RT are now available for $179 in the official YongNuo Ebay Store.

31. Riaz 3 years ago

I tried to purchase this product on Ebay. The item description shows so many available and so many sold. I contacted the seller and he says they don’t have any stock. Now the item has increased from $295 to $700 and still shows as available.

Hi Riaz,

They are available now from the official YongNuo Ebay Store for $179.

The other sellers raising the price very high have run out of stock. They just raise the listing price so people wont purchase them. Because they don’t want to end the listing and lose their sales records etc which keep the listing high in the “Best Match” search results.

• Jamesy 3 years ago

Interesting strategy. I bought some batteries and had them refunded a day later and they jacked the price from $20 to $220. I thought they were being lazy as to not need to recreate the listing but it appears there is more to it than that.

32. Yuppa 3 years ago

@Alexander Loff

Thanks for the info–it looks like Shanny is finally working on their website!

Regarding compatibility between Canon RT and Shanny and Yongnuo RT (above), I was just thinking out loud.

To me, it makes ABSOLUTELY no sense for Shanny to PURPOSEFULLY render their flashes incompatible with Yongnuo–a MUCH better known company with greater market share.

Shanny should know of course. I just don’t get how, if their flash is “listening” for Canon, and a Yongnuo is “talking” Canon, that it will knows it’s not a Canon.

We will see one day.

This is really the same situation we see already with the current TTL triggers and flashes not being compatible between third party units.

If everyone followed the original protocols closely then all products would be compatible across brands. The problem is these protocols all need to be reverse engineered, Canon and Nikon etc certainly don’t offer any help with this.

So the priority for third parties is just to make their products work with the originals. That’s hard enough as it is. Its really more of a conscious decision for one company to try and make their products compatible with another third party, than it is to say we will settle with working with the original.

• Alexander Loff 3 years ago

Shanny said that later they will probably adjust the functionality of their devices with firmware
      All devices have the ability to update the firmware..
      In addition, there has not been tested YN-600EX-RT

Waiting for confirmations

33. Steve 3 years ago

I ordered 1

Make someone\

Description Unit price Qty Amount
    YONGNUO YN600EX-RT YN600-EX-RT HSS Flash Speedlite Radio Slave as Canon 600EX-RT
    Item# 151449765450 $179.99 USD 1 $179.99 USD

Shipping and handling $0.00 USD
    Insurance – not offered —-
    Total $179.99 USD
    Payment $179.99 USD
    This charge will appear on your credit card statement as “PAYPAL *MAXIMAGE”
    Payment sent to max.image@hotmail.com
    Issues with this transaction?
    You have 45 days from the date of the transaction to open a dispute in the Resolution Center.

Questions? Go to the Help Center at: http://www.paypal.com/help.
    On the 24th and by Sunday the 26th they had raised their price to $500.00

Price:
    US $500.00
    Buy It Now

Add to cart
    SquareTrade 3 yr warranty $84.99

• Steve 3 years ago

10 minutes after I posted the above they marked my order as shipped. Will wait and see.

34. jp 3 years ago

Thanks for all the great input. I look forward to hearing feedback once the flashes have been received.

35. Katie 3 years ago

What happens if you mount this on a Nikon? What features do you retain?

I would assume you would lose TTL, but still keep the radio connection between flashes and the radio master mode on the main flash. Would you still get a focus assist beam?

Hi Katie,

You definitely won’t get a focus assist beam, as that requires a Nikon dedicated flash.

I’m not sure about the radio link and remote manual as yet though. The YongNuo YN-E3-RT do actually provide this on non Canon cameras, where the original Canon ST-E3-RT can not.

So there is some possibility the YN600EX-RT may provide remote manual on non Canon Cameras.

Hi john,

They just put the price up so no one will try to purchase the item while they don’t have stock.

That way they don’t have to cancel the listing and lose their current sales tally, and position in the “best match” search etc.

I don’t think Ebay provide any options to help them deal with this otherwise. So there may be no need to avoid that seller once they have stock again, and the regular price is restored.

• John 3 years ago

ah ok.

36. Jose Angel Martin Sanchez 3 years ago

Hi

I bought the YN600EX-RT in Eachshot 10/16/2014 and pay for send it for DHL and they say to me that do not have the product today and they do not know when it can arrive.

I change my order by a Shanny SN600SC and I will already buy the SN-E3-MD as soon as it is available since they say to me that still do not have either it.

Those that offered the yn600ex-rt and received the payment of hundreds of buyers already had it?

Angel

Hi Angel,

How did you buy the YN600EX-RT from EachShot when its been listed as “out of stock” ?

We haven’t seen how well the Shanny radio system works yet. So I’d be a little bit nervous about relying on that yet. The flashes do seem quite good, but I really don’t know about the radio gear yet. And they may not be compatible with the YongNuo RT gear.

The SN-E3-MD may be a couple of weeks away yet.

• Angel 3 years ago

Hi
        I bought the YN600EX-RT in Eachshot on October 16 the first day that was for sale, with send by DHL and in October 21 still they didn´t send it, they say to me that do not have the product and they do not know when it could arrive. I changed my order by the Shanny SN600SC that arrived to me by DHL in four days. I had one 430EX II and one 580EX II whit a 622C-TX and two 622C. The Shanny work fine, it is more powerful that the 580EX II and all the functions work perfectly in the optical mode and in the 622C, to exception of the custom functions 02 and 06 that I can change in the camera menu (EOS 70D) but the flash does not recognize the functions nor realizes them. I hope that in future firmware update this is fixed. I bought another two more SN600SC that I already have here. Thing that I am already married with Shanny and if wish to use to future the RT system will be with the transmitter and receivers of Shanny.

37. Albert 3 years ago

I’m looking forward for the review 🙂

38. Adrian 3 years ago

I am noticing that many of the ebay sellers have bumped the price way up to that of the price of a Canon flash, even the same ebay listing that I purchased from has raised the price. Be careful out there.

What I don’t understand is why the YN store does not have the YN600 ex-rt?

A little worried.

39. Adrian 3 years ago

Oops, I just saw a recent post explaining why. I hope this is true.

40. Loren 3 years ago

Any word on a gel adapter for the yn600ex-rt? I see it has the raised bumps on top of the flash head (similar to Canon), but didn’t see any mention of it in product description.

41. Abbas 3 years ago

Wann wird es in Deutschland verfügbar sein?
    Gibt es bereits eine Möglichkeit, es sicher nach Deutschland zu bekommen?

Hi Abbas,

There are only a small amount available from Hong Kong and Mainland China at them moment.

Its generally safe to purchase directly from China, though you have to pay for return shipping if there are any issues. You can purchase directly from the offical YongNuo Ebay store once they have stock again.

Hallo Abbas,

Es gibt nur eine kleine Menge zu ihnen Moment von Hongkong und dem chinesischen Festland .

Sein im Allgemeinen sicher direkt aus China zu kaufen, wenn Sie für die Rücksendung bezahlen , wenn es irgendwelche Probleme haben. Sie können direkt von der offiziellen YongNuo Ebay Shop kaufen , sobald sie wieder vorrätig haben .

42. Mike Lord 3 years ago

Does anyone know what the range (in ft) is with HSS? I cannot find any data on this. Hopefully its at least 100ft with HSS. Also where can you get the external battery packs? which model is it.

43. Yuppa 3 years ago

@Mike Lord,

Generally speaking, you lose 2.5 stops of power with HSS–each stop is HALF the amount of light. That’s a LOT. Depending on ISO, 100′ is really pushing it.

Why would you need that range? Are you limited by gaps or obstructions…like a cave? You should PLACE the flash close(r) to your subject and CONTROL it at distance.

Regarding the battery pack, it’s right there on their website: SF-18 (assuming it’s compatible, BTW).

• Mike Lord 3 years ago

the subject is usually not that far from the flash. I do action sports photography and sometimes I’m shooting with 200-300mm so I’m at least 50+ feet away from the subject. the yongnuo 622’s have terrible range and especially at HSS the range seems to go out the window. I’ve done extensive range tests at multiple shutter speeds above 1/250 and ive yet to find a reliable configuration that gives me a firing ratio that is greater than 70%. Once you get past 40-50ft the HSS radio reliability goes out the window. I hope the 600EX RT answers this problem that PW and other transceivers have failed to address.

44. steve 3 years ago

Just received my flash today. Ordered it 2 weeks ago. Have checked it out and works just like a canon flash. No light fall off on mine and is just a touch warmer as for what I can see. No light meter to check.

• steve 3 years ago

ordered 2 more at $250. Estimated arrival between Nov 20 and Dec 5

• steve 3 years ago

The company I ordered changed the estimated delivery dates twice and the first email they sent me was in short: ” we will send you you order asap”.
        As soon as i saw that I filed a claim with Paypal and they got my money back immediately. The second email gave me an excuse that they were waiting on another customer to send a flash he was not happy with to fill my order! I don’t know if it was someone with a poor grasp of English or it was what he actually meant to imply !
        On their Ebay listing they say they have 5 available and 15 sold and the estimated delivery is between Nov 25 and Dec 10th. That was the 3rd estimated delivery dates. Also the price is quoted at 250.00. That has not changed.

Thanks Steve,

Mine is still on the way. Hopefully not too far off.

45. D 3 years ago

Is this normally at $250…. wasnit it at 180… -_-

• steve 3 years ago

First one was but needed 2 more by the Dec 10th.

• Jamesy 3 years ago

My question exactly. The cheapest I see any at the moment are $250 whereas they were $180 in the past. Is this a supply/demand thing and when supply comes back to the channel they will pop back down to $180? I hope so, as I was considering getting three or four if the reviews are good.

Yes YongNuo always do a limited first run. Once the next batch are available in week or so the prices will be back to around $180 again.

46. Nick 3 years ago

So I am new to flashes. I have been photographing for several years but always just stuck to available light. Mostly had a focus on landscape photography so haven’t really needed a flash that much. I have borrowed flashes several times but don’t own one myself.
    Recently I started with portrait photography and wanted to get a flash of my own instead of borrowing it.
    I have read up on YongNuo and now Shanny and they seem to be really good for the price.
    My plan was to get 2 flashes and a radio transmitter.

My question that I hope you might help me with is this:
    Is there any point of me getting flashes and the older YongNuo transmitters instead of just these new versions? Seems like it would just be better with fewer parts to have to consider if, as in my case, I don’t have any older parts that I need to connect to.

Thanks in advance

Hi Nick,

I wrote a fairly long comment on this a couple of weeks ago, but can’t find that now myself.

There a pluses and minuses to each system, but in general the built in RT system is going to be more convenient with less gear as you mention.

The Canon RT system is currently limited to RT speedlites only. There are not even any basic manual receivers available a this point to fire other lights like studio lights etc. So that is probably the main difference with the RT system at this stage. (You can always still use a second manual transmitter attached to the camera to fire other lights though).

The RT system does not have remote zoom control available either.

The RT system does have 2 way communication though, so the transmitter is told when slave flashes are recycled and ready to fire for example. And the big advantage is the built in radio transceivers, so no extra triggers and batteries to manage, or cause reliability issues.

The YN-622 system are still a bit cheaper though, particularly now that there are cheaper compatible flashes available from Shanny. The YN-622 can fire any manual strobes as well, and numerous TTL flashes (including lower models like 430EX II / SB-700 etc).

The YN-622 also have SuperSync with a timing adjustment, for HSS with studio lights. And YongNuo even have the compatible YN300W TTL studio lights available.

So at this point the YN-622 and other TTL triggers systems are still more open systems, and can offer some different features than the RT system allows.

The range and reliability otherwise is similar between the original Canon RT system and the YN-622C. We don’t know if the YN-RT will match the Canon RT system just yet though. The current YN-622C-TX has considerably less range than a YN-622C as transmitter for example (hopefull that will be improved over time).

• Nick 3 years ago

Thank yo so much for your answer! A lot if different things i hadn’t thought of.
        Yeah I had read up on the YN-622 system which everyone seem to like and had that in mind when I started looking into flashes. I do want to be able to fire the flash from off camera in an easy way.
        Interesting to hear about the ranges and that they differ, I didn’t know about that.
        Can you control the zoom with the YN-622 system? Seems like a practical thing to be able to do.
        I guess in the end it depends on if you believe the new RT system will be used in general or not. If they will make more accessories for it.

Sorry, yes the YN-622 does have remote zoom control.

With the popularity of the RT system I think its inevitable there will eventually be manual receivers available for the system at least. Whether TTL receivers for other speedlites would even be possible I’m not sure. But that’s not a big issue when speedlites are basically covered with relatively inexpensive RT units anyway.

Where things are getting interesting now is where these systems will expand into compatible larger lights as well. Phottix for example have released the Indra 500WS TTL Strobe. And Godox are heading for TTL bare bulb Witstro units. These radio systems are basically more in line with the YN-622, than the RT system (although not directly compatible with either). A TTL Witstro would likely operate on a YN-622 receiver though.

So it may take a lot longer for other larger RT compatible lights to emerge. With YongNuo producing the YN300W already, its highly likely they would make an RT version of that eventually as well. But they are big heavy mains powered lights, they have a long way to go to match the desirability of the Indra or TTL Witstro etc.

At this stage though we will basically be relying on YongNuo to provide other alternatives like this, which could take a while. For speedlites alone, the RT system will no doubt be extremely popular now.

47. John 3 years ago

Hoping someone does an in depth review on youtube with tests etc..

48. Angel 3 years ago

Hi

There is already in youtube an unboxing of the YN600EX-RT and the comparison with Canon 600EX-RT