YONGNUO – YN600EX-RT Now Available!

YN600EX-RT_300

The very long awaited YongNuo YN600EX-RT flashes are now available from around $105 on Ebay, and from the YongNuo Store on Ebay.

Like the YongNuo YN-E3-RT transmitter, the YN600EX-RT flashes are directly compatible with the 2.4GHz RT radio system built into Canon’s own 600EX-RT flash, and ST-E3-RT transmitter units.

YN-600EX-RT

Features –

• Guide Number 60m (ISO-100, 200mm)
  • Canon RT Wireless Support (Master and Slave Modes)
  • Electronic zoom head 20–200mm
  • E-TTL and Manual Power Control
  • HSS (High Speed Sync) to 1/8000 Second
  • Canon and Nikon Optic Wireless Slave Modes
  • S1 and S2 Optical Slave Modes
  • PC Sync Port
  • External High Voltage Battery Port
  • USB firmware updates

Also like the YongNuo YN-E3-RT, the YN600EX-RT flash units provide most of the major functions of the original Canon flash.

And over time there may even be extra functions added. Already Optic Wireless Slave modes for both Canon and Nikon flash systems are supported in the YN600EX-RT flash.

The YN600EX-RT are also YongNuo’s first flash unit available with both HSS (High Speed Sync) functions and an External HV Battery Port in the same flash.

YN600EX-RT

YN-622C –

PLEASE NOTE – The YN600EX-RT flashes are not directly compatible with the radio system used by the popular YongNuo YN-622C TTL triggers.

Though the YN600EX-RT will still function with the YN-622C system, provided a YN-622C as receiver is also attached to each YN600EX-RT flash foot.

PRICE AND AVAILABILITY –

The Yongnuo YN600EX-RT are now available from around $105 –

Amazon, UKEbay, YongNuo EbayAdorama, B&H Photo

YongNuo – Website

YongNuo – YN-E3-RT

1. Cristian 2 years ago

Vincent,

I had to return my flash back because I was having some of the same issues that you were. I think Yongnuo should have waited to release this flash since many of us are having problems. Also as mentioned before, the YN-600ex rt can not be a master flash for Canon’s 580EX II, 580EX, 430EX II. Many sellers claim so but Yongnuo’s manual doesn’t say anything about this.

I would advice people to wait a few months before buying this flash.

2. Vincent 2 years ago

Update to my previous post about the complete and utter failure using YN600EX-RT V1.8.1 on-camera with Canon 7D.

Today I managed to revert back to firmware V1.8 (back from V1.8.1) . Thank god I kept an archival copy just in case as it is no longer available on Yongnuo’s site.

With this older firmware everything works OK – no missed shots, no out-of-sync firing, no strange behavior of the focus assist light, everything is back to normal.

So definitely not a malfunctioning flash – just completely messed up firmware V1.8.1.

I couple of points to note:
    – The Version Query menu now again shows firmware version “1 2 3”, although I flashed V1.8 – the same as when I received the flash in factory condition. So I guess version “1 2 3” in the camera menu is actually V1.8 that was previously available on the product page on Yongnuo’s site.
    – I used the new, second version of the Updater software running on Windows 7 64-bit. When prompted to choose the firmware file, I used the drop-down menu to change to “.hex” file instead of “.yz” file.
    – Using the same updater version on Windows 7 64-bit, the flash gets recognized even with firmware V1.8 (I mean I get the “Device successfully opened” message in the updater. Strangely this was not the case when I first tried this new updater a couple of days ago.

I am glad my flash is back to normal functioning – “normal” in the case of YN600EX-RT is a relative notion 🙂

Hi Vincent,

I’m not sure what you have done there, but the Firmware Upgrade Instructions specifically say that you need to use a 32 bit system if the flash is not already installed with V1.8.1 or higher.

So that is what I did and it worked fine.

Now that you are back to V1.8 you will very likely need to use a 32 bit system again to get back to V1.8.1 correctly.

I’m also not even sure what the .hex file you mention is? The instructions specifically say to use a “.yz” file. And that is the only file in the V1.8.1 zip download.

Also it mentions in the V1.8.1 change log that the file number display mode has been updated (now reading 1.8.1 instead of 1 2 3 etc).

I guess its up to you if you want to try and update to V1.8.1 again, but you should be able to do it.

I was only going to update one flash so I had the other as previous reference, but I did both so I don’t have to mess with the 32 bit system anymore from now on.

• 6D-user 2 years ago

I have to flashes with the serial number 05xx and 42xx. I updated the firmware on both flashes today to 1.8.1.
      I tested it on a 6D and a 60D (both camera bodies are running the latest firmware available).

The one with the 0525 serial number seem to work fine, but the other one became useless. It flashes small
      at power by itself (no triggering happened, no pilot button pressed) and on camera it doesn’t flash at all.
      It changes modes randomly and unexpectedly. I will try to revert it to firmware 1.8 hope it will solve the problem.

I hope YN will release a new firmware soon fixing these bugs…

• YIKES 2 years ago

Do you still happen to have that copy of the firmware 1.8 and the updater software by any chance??? Yongnuo’s links are down/broken as well as my flash…. it was working however only trigggering 60% of the time and after plugging my flash into my laptop it stopped working completely… it wont respond to anything i press even after turning it off on on unplugging, removing battery, holding buttons etc….. I want to see if the 1.8 update might get me going again if you can send, can you can email me at bornunderabridge@gmail.com

3. Vincent 2 years ago

The V1.8 firmware file has an extension of “.hex”, the V1.8.1 firmware file has the “.yz” extension.

Obviously I needed the former. The latest updater is searching by default for “.yz” file but apparently I was able to flash the previous “.hex” format with it by selecting “.hex” file in the “File” (where you choose your firmware file) dialogue box of the updater. Just wanted to let you know that it is not constrained only to “.yz” files.

I am not going back to V1.8.1 because my experience shows it causes severe functionality issues with the Canon 7D – YN600EX-RT combo. At least until Yongnuo respond to my email or release a new firmware.

Hi Vincent,

Ok thanks. The 7D combination is not the issue though as I use the 7D most of the time now and I’m not seeing any of those issues.

I think for some reason your firmware may not have loaded properly the first time.

4. Vincent 2 years ago

Can you please tell me what firmware version your 7D is running ? Mine is running the latest 2.0.5.

Also, I used Win XP 32bit running inside VMWare Workstation 11 to update to 1.8.1 two days ago. Maybe that’s an issue ?

Also I followed your advice and updated to V1.8.1 again a few moments ago – as you said maybe the firmware did not upload properly the first time. The result is the same – complete failure to use the flash mounted on the 7D. After that I went back for the second time to V1.8 and all is good. I am very confused.

Hi Vincent,

My 7D is on firmware 2.0.5. I don’t think I have updated it at any time.

Yes that VMWare Workstation could be the issue then.

I don’t know if 32 bit is still common on tablets or something like that, but its a real pain to have to find a 32 bit PC at this stage otherwise.

I’m guessing there will be more firmware updates to come yet, possibly even feature updates, so I wouldn’t like to be stuck on old firmware. I was ready to send both flashes to YongNuo to update if I couldn’t get the firmware loaded.

5. niavuli 2 years ago

I searching for additional information on the flash, and cannot find anything clear.

Would this flash work with a nikon camera?
    Especially supporting HSS with a nikon camera?
    And would it require a specific trigger then?

Thank you in advance for the information 🙂

Niavuli.

6. John 2 years ago

Can the just release a normal win7 64bit firmware update. PAHLEEEESE!!!!!

That would be nice, but I doubt its going to happen for flashes with pre V 1.8.1 firmware.

Fixing the issue via the flash firmware was their solution.

7. Gantcho Beltchev 2 years ago

The 600 can be a master For the 560|||?

Hi Gantcho,

No the RT system is not compatible with the YN-560 system.

You would need either the YN560-IV flash or a YN560-TX transmitter to act as master to the YN-560 III flashes.

And the YN560-IV is just a manual flash on camera, no TTL or HSS etc.

8. George 2 years ago

Can you use Eneloop XX Pro batteries with this flash?

Hi George,

You can certainly use regular Eneloops. I’m not aware of any special needs for the Eneloop XX Pro, so unless there are some issues with those that I’m not aware of they should be fine.

• George 2 years ago

Those batteries are about 6mm longer than the regular ones. I’m thinking about buying those if they fit.

Thanks George, I had no idea about that extra length.

I can’t see how they would fit though? Theres just not 6mm extra travel in the springs.

They YN-600EX-RT battery compartment appears to be very similar to the Canon 600EX-RT though, so that should be a good indication (I can’t see how they would fit 6mm extra though either?).

• George 2 years ago

I did some research. Regular batteries are 48mm long. The Eneloop XX Pro are 54mm long. It looks the max length that fits into the battery compartment is approx. 50mm. The battery compartments of the YN-600EX-RT, Canon 580EX II and the Canon 430EX II all look exactly the same.

What confuses me is that a lot of people seam to use those batteries for their flashes. The length of those batteries is only mentioned on very few websites. Does anyone know if there are different versions of those Eneloop batteries with 2450mAh?

• George 2 years ago

Sorry, I just noticed that i measured only the body of the batteries and that I made a mistake when i checked the size of the Eneloop XX Pro batteries. They mentioned the size including the plus pole. So normal batteries are about 50mm long.

The normal Eneloop and the Eneloop XX Pro are exactly 50.4mm long according to the data sheets from Panasonic. So the Eneloop XX Pro must fit the YN-600EX-RT.

Hi George,

Thanks, no worries, I thought they would have to be pretty close to standard length or they simply wouldn’t fit into most devices.

The should be fine with the flash then.

9. christopher 2 years ago

is it possible that this function is missing

does the Ext.A mode works in the 600EX-RT?

Hi christopher,

The YN600EX-RT does not have an Ext.A function, or an auto sensor on the flash for this purpose.

10. daytrader 2 years ago

version 1.8 is still available here:

11. Xkey2 2 years ago

Is the YN600EX-RT now refined enough? Did badge two from december (what are the production numbers again or something to identify the batch if I buy a flash) resolve the issue of the loose tripod mount and the non zoomable flash head and the battery drain?

Should I buy the flash from the UK (I’m in germany) through EACHSHOT or on german Amazon through “yongnuo” (doubt it is the real company)

Any known compability issues with 6D or 60D?

• John 2 years ago

The price has dropped dramatically so sellers are probably panicking that they have crap on their hands are trying to sell it off. Yongnuo only have themselves to blame, all these teething problems should have been sorted with test models before they went into full production.

12. niavuli 2 years ago

Are they compatible with nikon?

Hi niavuli,

As an on-camera flash the YN600EX-RT will only provide manual power levels when mounted on a Nikon or other non-Canon camera.

If using the YN600EX-RT as a radio slave flash off camera, then you would have remote power manual power levels from the camera if using a YN-E3-RT transmitter.

Otherwise there is no TTL or HSS etc available on non-Canon dedicated DSLR’s.

• Karl 2 years ago

So If I am a Nikon shooter and I use the YN-E3-RT on camera to trigger a YN600ex-RT there is no TTL or HSS?

13. steve 2 years ago

Just sent last one of 2 I ordered from Amazon. Had auto focus light go out on it. Was from the second batch. Also recycle time kept climbing. Will wait a few months and see if they get any better. As far as I am concerned right now they wouldn’t even make a good fishing weight!

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the feedback.

I’m really not sure about these because my two version one flashes are completely fine as far as I can see. And apart from the battery issue which appears to have been addressed by the firmware update, there have only been a handful of complaints.

So I’m not sure what to make of it, will just have to keep watching how this progresses.

14. jeyjey 2 years ago

hello i want to buy a YN600EX-RT. I read some reviews that there some problem functions with flash . Is this ok at this time?What you suggest to go for another YN-568EX II?

Hi Jeyjey,

I’m not really sure. There has been half a dozen various reports of issues here, though most seem to be fine.

I get the feeling YongNuo would be updating any common issues found for the next productions though, so if you are not in a hurry waiting a while may be the best option.

I have 2 of the very first batch and they are fine from what I can see so far.

I’d try and make sure with the seller they have the latest firmware installed already though. Or buy from the Yongnuo Store on Ebay.

15. Peter 2 years ago

I have a YN-E3-RT and several YN600EX-RT. They all work very reliably. In fact they are much more reliable and convenient to use than Canon flashes with their optical triggers.

Can I somehow remotely trigger the shutter using my equipment? There is a cable for the YN-E3-RT which I can connect to the shutter release of my EOS 650D.

Hi Peter,

Yes you need either a YN-E3-RT or YN600EX-RT on the camera hotshoe, and another in hand as the trigger. A shutter release cord is neededed for pre 2012 cameras.

Best to go to the Canon site, or download the Canon 600EX-RT or ST-E3-RT manuals for more detail on this set up.

• Peter 2 years ago

I can put the YN-E3-RT into linked shot mode but I could’t figure out how to do the same with the YN600EX-RT. The manuals didn’t help. Can someone describe how to do that with the YN600EX-RT?

Ok sorry, I’ll have to run through this again as it may not actually be possible with the YN600EX-RT then. I’ve only tried this briefly and with the Shanny flash in the mix as well, so I’m not sure now which combinations work.

16. Andy 2 years ago

I have simple question. Will the following setup work with Canon 600EX-RT (currently owned)?

(3) YN600EX-RT (as slave)
    (1) YN-E3-RT (i need this to control power M/TTL on YN600EX-RT)

I still need and rely Canon 600EX-RT on camera and to control power level of YN600EX-RT (wireless off camera).

Thanks.

Hi Andy,

I don’t really understand what you are asking there.

The Canon 600EX-RT and the YN-E3-RT can be used to control YN600EX-RT as slave flashes in Manual or TTL.

As far as the RT radio system goes, the Canon or YongNuo RT flashes or transmitters are basically interchangeable. YongNuo can control Canon, and Canon can control YongNuo.

The YongNuo YN-E3-RT transmitter does have a few extra functions though, as it can allow Gr Group mode on pre-2012 cameras, and allows second curtain sync in manual. It also allows manual power level adjustment even when used on non-Canon cameras.

17. Andy 2 years ago

Your answer is what i’m looking for. Sorry for unclear questions. Basically, i just want to buy only one Canon 600EX-RT and three YN600EX-RT and YN-E3-RT and make sure they work together.

THanks.

Hi Andy,

No worries, that is a good combination.

The YN-E3-RT are meant to have some update from mid December 2014 build (Jan 2015 to be safe). I’m not sure what the update is, but hopefully it is to address the range issues which would be the one main downside to the YN-E3-RT over the Canon transmitter.

How to get hold of the later build models is the question though, I’m not sure if the YongNuo store are selling them yet themselves.

• Andy 2 years ago

Thanks, Flash Havoc.
        I don’t really understand why Yongnuo didn’t have any means to update firmware for their equipments, instead of creating different build models. In saying that, however, their YN600EX-RT is promising.

Sorry I should have said a hardware update.

You can update the firmware on the YN-E3-RT, but as with the YN-622C-TX that has not been enough to make any substantial improvement in range. For the YN-622C-TX at least there is a new circuit board.

18. Andy 2 years ago

Anyone has problem of downloading firmware, manual from this page http://www.hkyongnuo.com/e-detaily.php?ID=337 ?
    The page states that page has timed out! I can’t even download other links. Not sure what i need to do …
    thanks.

Hi Andy.

Sometimes the server in China is quite slow. It appears to be running ok now though.

If you still can’t get through let me know and I will upload the files myself. I’ve been trying to avoid that because chances are YongNuo will update the files at times without making any note of it.

19. Andy 2 years ago

Thanks Flash Havoc.
    I don’t have flash yet. I just want to read thru some manual in pdf format first. However, the link is not working.
    I’ll try again tomorrow during the day time (USA time).

20. Adrian 2 years ago

My YN600EX-RT will not work with my Canon 600EX-RTs. I bought it a while back and it would not play nice so I waited for a firmware upgrade. I finally got around to upgrading it today but they still will not work together. I have tried the YN as the master and the Canon as the Master, Neither worked. Any suggestions?

If I restart both flashes, The slave will fire once but not show up in the photo, So I am assuming that it is a preflash. After that the slave will not fire again until I reset everything.

Hi Adrian,

Are you already familiar with using slave flashes with the Canon RT system?, as its sounds like you could possibly have the wrong mode set there.

Are the flashes linking up, Link light goes green on the Canon and YN flashes?

• Adrian 2 years ago

I have 9 of the Canons and use them daily, I even teach classe on how to use them.

With the Cnaon as the master, they do link up on startup and the slave fires what must be a pre-flash on the first shot but no lighting from the slave appears in the image. Then on subsequent images, the slave will not fire at all but the green link light is still on. I have double checked the channel and ID.

With the YN as the master everything seems to be the same except the link light on the Canon (slave) goes red after the first or second shot. In no shot does the slave lighting show up in the image.

Ok thanks Adrian.

Unfortunately I’m really not sure what would be causing that if its not faulty unit. I think you may have to return or exchange it.

21. Michael Mowbray 2 years ago

I am definitely jumping off the bandwagon for these flashes. After buying 3 around the first of the year and testing them to quite good in-studio results alongside the Canon 600EX-RT, today I decided to give them a moderate stress test. I set them to manual 1:1 power and triggered with the YN-STE3-RT. After about 50 flashes (I kind of lost accurate count in my stupor of triggering the fire button over and over) flash number one blew. Powers up, but the tube is out. Nada. Flash number 2 lasted 35 full power flashes. Flash number 3? Let’s just say that I got to 35 and decided to quit and not tempt fate. To me, this is a moderate stress test compared to a wedding day in full sun and needing to rely on these flashes in HSS. The remote is wonderful. The features are wonderful for the price. But features and a low price mean nothing if the tube going to fry that easily. I had high hopes for this flash. 🙁

• Peter 2 years ago

Have you tried the same with your Canon flashes? Make it 100 flashes at full power since they’re a lot more expensive. You should use a battery pack because they recycle slower using normal batteries. I’m looking forward to hear about the results.

Hi Peter,

I’ve tested this many times with the 600EX-RT, and although you can get them pretty seriously hot, the heat protection slows and stops them firing before you can do any terminal damage.

They will do around 45 to 60 shots in a row though before being slowed.

Thanks for the update Michael.

Obviously that’s not good news, and I don’t really want to kill my flashes now to confirm this.

Its strange that this would appear now in the new flashes though. If this does turn out to be common then surely YongNuo can revert back to whatever flash tube etc was working fine in the previous flashes.

Will keep an eye on this though thanks. If there are more failures (not just from pushing them hard) it may well be the flash tube then as well.

22. Ben E 2 years ago

Hi I just want to let people know that I upgraded to 1.8.1 firmware today and the flash would not fire from my 650d. All buttons and functions would work but no flash when shooting. After an evening of scratching my head I came here and saw one user had rolled back to 1.8 Once I did this the flash was working fine again.
    1.8.1 said it installed successfully on the led screen so I think there may be a few bugs (some say they have no issues with upgrade but I did).

So I guess it just means waiting around to 1.8.2 to see if that fixes it.

If anyone needs to roll back to 1.8 it can be found here http://www.135shot.com/yongnuo-yn-600ex-rt-speedlite-transmitter-for-canon.html down the bottom of the page

Hi Ben,

Thanks for the feedback. I just tried my YN600EX-RT’s with V1.8.1, and they are firing fine with my Canon 600D.

So it sounds like there must be some different hardware versions of the flash having issues with V1.8.1.

• Peter 2 years ago

#Ben
      I have an EOS 650D as well. I’ve used several YN600EX-RTs with firmware version 1.8.1 and an YN-E3-RT. They were shipped from HK in the end of January. All devices work flawlessly.

With firmware 1 2 3 the flashes showed overheat warnings which disappeared after upgrading.

23. John 2 years ago

Jut for future reference, is there aywhere to get spare bulbs for this in case they blow? Thanks.

Hi John,

If you search for Xenon flash tubes on Ebay you will find various sellers.

I don’t think any would have the YN600EX-RT tubes just yet though. I’m not sure if the YN-568EX II could be used instead.

There is also an online store called xenonflashtubes.com

Just a general warning though, you have to know what your doing pulling speedlites apart, as the capacitor needs to be discharged first or they can be very dangerous.

24. John 2 years ago

Thanks FH, I usually just get the tube and have someone else do the replacing. 🙂

Thanks John, no worries. Its not something that hard to do yourself, just as long as you’re aware that you need to take certain precautions. There are lots of tutorials on the net for doing this.

25. andy 2 years ago

After reading the conversations here, i have the feeling that YN600EX-RT is not matured yet as difference issues arrived.

Updating firmware is only working for windows 32 bit (all of my laptops, PC …are 64bits), that not including the problem of downloading from Yongnuo website ( I have tried many times but the connection is out). Very frustrated!

I shoot event, weddings, so i thought i would give YN600ex-rt a try even though i only use it as slave flash. I think i will wait and see. In the meantime, I still need to rely on Canon flashes .

26. keano 2 years ago

Any idea when they will have a release for Nikon? I was going to get Phottix Odin and Mitros+ but prefer to wait my budget would thank me.

Hi keano,

Sorry no, I have no idea when YongNuo will provide a radio flash for Nikon.

The YN-568EX II for Nikon is long overdue, so hopefully YongNuo may be heading straight for a flash with YN-622N built in instead.

27. andy 2 years ago

How can we tell YN600EX-RT is the second batch? Is it possible that we can tell by serial number?
    thanks.

Hi Andy,

Sorry I’m not sure about the serial numbers for the second batch.

The firmware version would be a good indication though. Though again I’m not sure what the first firmware version is that the second batch shipped with either.

The 2 first version flashes I have here are very easy to pick though, as they are very loose in the camera hotshoe (if you swivel / twist them back and forth in the hotshoe).

I doubt there would be any first versions still available for sale though. I paid something like $250 for one as they were all sold out everywhere else.

If you’re only after a slave flash though, the Shanny SN600C-RT should be available again soon. Provided they have fixed the radio range they make a lot of sense as an inexpensive RT slave flash.

• creationsh 2 years ago

If you turn the flash head to the left or to the right, there should be a production sticker listing the date of the batch. My sticker says 1/15, firmware 1 2 3

28. Andy 2 years ago

Thanks Flashhavoc and Creationsh.
    I initially plan to get 2 yn600ex-rt, but i now have 2 Canon 600EX-RT. I think i may change the plan to get YNE3-RX for my canon 580EX II as i only need this as slave. However, i order YN-E3-RT. I hope that we’ll have review YNE3-RX soon since i have no idea how good it is considering Yongnuo has history of problem on their 1st batch on some of the things they design.

SN600C-RT is about $130 and not much cheaper than YN600EX-RT which i can get around $150. But i’ll wait and see as i will need 2 or 3 more slave flashes.

29. eamaro 2 years ago

Folks… looking to buy this unit to use totally off camera, triggered by a yn-s3-rt (I already have a Canon 600ex-rt, looking for a 2nd flash).

It looks like it could be a problem due to the issues you’ve been reporting, right?

Hi eamaro,

I’m still not sure what to think, as there’s really only been a handful of issues reported, and they are varying ones.

I haven’t tested the flashes I have in detail yet for a review, but from all the things people have asked me to check they appear to work fine.

No doubt YongNuo will make improvements in subsequent versions, though at this point I’m not even sure what common issues they need to address. Micheal’s issue of the flash tubes blowing has not been commonly reported here or elsewhere I have seen. I don’t really want blow mine to find out though at this stage either.

I can only assume the vast majority are still working fine, but its hard to gauge at this stage.

30. Andy 2 years ago

Some people have a good luck with YN600EX-RT, some don’t

I bought 2 and return them (their firmware version is 1.8.1) due to the followings:
    1. YN600EX-RT does not sit tight and wiggles on camera hot shoe
    2. 600EX-RT does not work with my camera 1Ds III in wireless ETTL mode.
    3. One of the YN600EX-RT does not produce consistent exposure.

So make sure you buy it from some places that you can return if it does not work for you.

31. Creationsh 2 years ago

Got my 2nd flash today, this time it came with 2/15 sticker with a firmware of 1.8.1 pre-installed. So it works just like the first one(firmware 123).

One thing I do find strange is that they both make this rapid ticking sound, not loud but i can hear it if i put my ear up to it.

32. Eshan 2 years ago

hello, i just wanted to know if this is compatible with canon 600ds custom wireless mode. what i mean to say is that, can my camera act as a commander for the flash and achieve remote ettl like 568 ex ii

Hi Eshan,

If you’re referring to the Optic Wireless function (using the cameras pop up flash as the master) then yes the YN600EX-RT has Optic Wireless slave modes for both Canon and Nikon.

The YN600EX-RT do not have an optic master mode though like the YN-568EX II has. So you can’t use the YN600EX-RT on your cameras hotshoe to act as an Optic Wireless master to fire the YN-568EX II. Though you can do that the opposite way around with the YN-568EX II on camera and YN600EX-RT as the slave.
      _

Ideally the best option would be to try and pick up a radio transmitter later like the YN-E3-RT.

That would fire and control the YN600EX-RT without any radio receiver needed on the flash, and the YN-568EX II with the new YNE3-RX receiver attached.

33. hector 2 years ago

Wow, all this bad reviews, well I must be lucky I purchased 6 of them last week. Working flawlessly. Buying 2 more and shot a wedding with them rock solid !!

Hi hector,

Thanks for the feedback. We could do with some good news 🙂

Really there has only been a handful of issues reported, considering YongNuo would have sold many thousands of these by now.

Hopefully YongNuo have been making improvements and refinements along he way though.

34. keano 2 years ago

Any idea on a Nikon version. 2015 summer?

35. John 2 years ago

a new day, a new problem!

Flash comes on fine and when I press the test button , it fires fine, but when I put it on a camera, nada, zilch. I’ve checked the camera with another flash, so its not the camera, definitely the flash, but the shoe on the camera looks fine, so no idea what the problem is.

I bought this on ebay fro a seller, but can’t remember who now. Would Yongnuo HQ take it back if I sent it back to them and replace it?

Hi John,

I’m not sure what the issue may be there. I think YongNuo will exchange the flash if its less than 12 months old as shown on the manufacture date sticker (swivel the flash head to see). Though you have to pay postage both ways.

I don’t know if they will want proof of purchase etc or not. Its a bit hard to forger who the ebay seller was when all the records are in your ebay account 🙂 So I’m guessing you probably bought the flash second hand or similar, though I don’t know if YongNuo are concerned or not.

36. John 2 years ago

edit to above, I mean the shoe on the flash looks fine.

37. John 2 years ago

yeah forgot about searching through ebay purchase history

38. Sunny 2 years ago

Do you have an idea where I can purchase a replacement case/pouch for the YongNuo YN-E3-RT and the YN600EX-RT?

39. Thomas Geist 2 years ago

I am not sure what camera John is using, but I found that the YN600EX-RT would not fire if triggered with a YN-E3-RT on a NON Canon hotshoe.

Radio GRP mode – even just bridging the hotshoe wouldn’t fire it, yet the Test button will. A Canon 600EX-RT however will fire.

YN-E3-RT firmware 1.14
    YN600EX-RT firmware 1.8.1

This makes the promise of using the YN-E3-RT for manual power control with non-Canon cameras kind of half hearted. This plus the YNE3-RX’s inability to turn off groups when triggered via a YN-E3-RT on a non-Canon camera unfortunately reduce the system’s usefulness outside of the Canon ecosystem.

Question: Is there a way to forward these findings to Yongnuo? This all seems to be solvable via firmware upgrades.

Hi Thomas,

Thanks for that, I haven’t had a chance to really study either unit yet, though I just tried this and can confirm both issues.

You can let YongNuo know of any issues via service@hkyongnuo.com

Don’t worry if the customer service person gives you some irrelevant suggestions for a solution, just let them know the engineer will be interested in this. Thanks.

40. John 2 years ago

Ok, problem solved after I messed around with the modes on the flash, M, Ettl etc and noticed that I could only control them from the external flash settings on my canon 5d mk2. But I switched between them and finally the flash worked. There’s regular M mode and the like a M group mode. Headache!

Thanks John,

I’m not sure I follow what the issue and resolution was there, though good to hear its working ok now thanks.

41. Ayush 2 years ago

I am Nikon user so will YN600EX-RT function with the YN-622N system

Hi Ayush,

No not with the YN-622N system.

Yongnuo haven’t released a flash for Nikon for quite a while, so hopefully they are working on a flash with YN-622N transceiver built inside.

42. Ben E 2 years ago

Hi Just want to give an update. I purchased my unit directly from Yongnuo. It had some issues such as batteries dying if left in overnight and couldn’t upgrade to 1.8.1

I sent them an email and told me the unit was faulty so send it back. I just got replacement version 13/04/15 with 1.8.1 and it seems ok. Batteries don’t go flat overnight so appears they are ironing out some of the issues.

If you do have a unit where batteries die overnight it would be best to try and send it back for exchange. They are pretty good and I dealt with Abby there and she is pretty helpful

43. Aaron 2 years ago

Does a YN600EX-RT communicate with a YN560 IV? Also, when will Yongnuo make copy of the Godox Witstro AD360 with built in radio triggering that would communicate with a YN560 IV and YN560TX? The icing on the cake would be if it would also communicate with the YN600EX-RT!!

Hi Aaron,

No the YN600EX-RT and Canon RT system are completely different systems to the YN560 IV and YN560-TX transmitter.

Its only recently that YongNuo have started to provide some compatibility between the YN-560TX and their YN-622C system. Its very unlikely the RT system will be compatible with the YN-622C or YN560 systems at any stage though.

I don’t know if YongNuo have any plans for an AD360 like flash, though you’re right there would be a huge demand if they made an RT compatible version.

44. Nav 2 years ago

Hi All,

Has anyone tried using an external battery for they Yongnuo YN600EX-RT I’m looking for one but not sure what to buy.

Regards,
    Nav

45. 6D-user 2 years ago

There’s a new firmware update published (1.8.3), but according to the change log there has been also an 1.8.2 earlier. What do we know? I’m a little bit pessimist about preforming any firmware upgrade.

V1.8.2:
    Repair the compatible problem of some old models;
    Repair the out-of-control problem of focal length when used with the YN622;
    Repair the abnormal display problem caused by low battery;
    Optimize the accuracy of the battery display;
    Optimize the overheating protection function.

V1.8.3:
    Repair the focal length error problem when using with the telephoto lens.

46. Rocky's Photography 2 years ago

I bought 3 of the YN-600’s a few weeks ago and did some testing with them in my living room and on one shoot. Everything seemed to be working fine so I ordered 2 more of them so I can do multi light setups at events. I shot my first event where I used these for extended periods of time with my 6D and had some strange things start happening. I had 2 OCF in manual mode and my on camera master in ettl using the Group mode. The on camera flash started randomly switching itself from ettl to manual mode and part of the time the image I took when it switched would have a bad green color cast. The download links for the updated firmware on their site isn’t working. Anyone have any advice for fixing this?

47. nixland 2 years ago

Finally got this flash and also the E3RX.
    The problem I have is that if I use the E3RT in Gr mode with E3RX, it can trigger my 580EXII with no problem in ETTL.

But if I use this 600RT in Gr mode with E3RX, when I set the mode of the group (let’s say A) for the 580EXII to ETTL, as soon as I half press the shutter button , the mode immediately changed to M.

And the second thing is, I check the firmware of this flash in YN web site and it says the latest one is version 1.8.3. But when I check the firmware version in the flash via function menu, it says, Firmware : 2. Does it means firmware 2 or 0.2 ??

Please help

• nixland 2 years ago

Any info?

Hi nixland.

I haven’t had a chance to look at the group mode issue, though I think you will need to update the 600EX-RT firmware first anyway, as the short firmware number displayed on the flash was from early firmware.

In later updates it now shows the 1.8.3 version number as you would expect to see.

• nixland 2 years ago

Thanks Elv. I’ll update the firmware soon.

48. Geert Suidema 2 years ago

Hi, I own two YN600EX-RT’s and a YN-E3-RT. Im having a hard time with the highspeed sync. It looks like it doesn’t work in manual mode but does in ETTL.

Anyone here having the same problems or any tips?

Thanks in advance.

49. Phil 2 years ago

Hi FlashHavoc,

I suggest adding the “NO SUPPORT FOR NIKON TTL” at the top of the article. Finding it down here at the comment level is too late. (At least it was for me).

The current Ebay Listing from hkYongnuo company actually list TTL Support for SB910! The manual that came with it proceeded to explain the use of SN mode for TTL support for Nikon Cameras. In the advanced section of their manual, they even have an FV(lock) Nikon Setting.
    In addition, the SN mode on the flash itself is called : iTTL.

All adding up to a costly misleading advertising by yongnuo to buyers like me. I am pretty annoyed. I bought 3 of them for my Nikon.
    It does not do TTL, as you said, no matter what their ebay says or their manual or even the flash menu setting.

50. Prateek khanna 2 years ago

Does firmware 1.8.3 fixes the issue with this flash and can i use it with my existing yn622c and yn 622c tx units…pls help