YONGNUO – YN600EX-RT Now Available!

YN600EX-RT_300

The very long awaited YongNuo YN600EX-RT flashes are now available from around $105 on Ebay, and from the YongNuo Store on Ebay.

Like the YongNuo YN-E3-RT transmitter, the YN600EX-RT flashes are directly compatible with the 2.4GHz RT radio system built into Canon’s own 600EX-RT flash, and ST-E3-RT transmitter units.

YN-600EX-RT

Features -

• Guide Number 60m (ISO-100, 200mm)
  • Canon RT Wireless Support (Master and Slave Modes)
  • Electronic zoom head 20–200mm
  • E-TTL and Manual Power Control
  • HSS (High Speed Sync) to 1/8000 Second
  • Canon and Nikon Optic Wireless Slave Modes
  • S1 and S2 Optical Slave Modes
  • PC Sync Port
  • External High Voltage Battery Port
  • USB firmware updates

Also like the YongNuo YN-E3-RT, the YN600EX-RT flash units provide most of the major functions of the original Canon flash.

And over time there may even be extra functions added. Already Optic Wireless Slave modes for both Canon and Nikon flash systems are supported in the YN600EX-RT flash.

The YN600EX-RT are also YongNuo’s first flash unit available with both HSS (High Speed Sync) functions and an External HV Battery Port in the same flash.

YN600EX-RT

YN-622C -

PLEASE NOTE - The YN600EX-RT flashes are not directly compatible with the radio system used by the popular YongNuo YN-622C TTL triggers.

Though the YN600EX-RT will still function with the YN-622C system, provided a YN-622C as receiver is also attached to each YN600EX-RT flash foot.

PRICE AND AVAILABILITY -

The Yongnuo YN600EX-RT are now available from around $105 –

Amazon, UKEbay, YongNuo EbayAdorama, B&H Photo

YongNuo – Website

YongNuo – YN-E3-RT

1. Julzilla 2 years ago

I just want to add that this flash causes “Error 20″ on a Canon 60D. I initially thought that my camera was malfunctioning and having some mechanical problem, until I’ve read from several forums that the former version of their flash (YN568) had that issue. I do have a 568EXII which works flawlessly on my 60D’s.

Luckily I have another 60D on which I also tried the YN600EX-RT and caused the same error. It happens when you pressed the shutter button while it hasn’t fully recycled. It also inhibits the camera from taking a shot sometimes, pressing the shutter button does nothing.

I have already updated to 1.8.3 from 1.8.1 and still has the same issue with the flash. I’ll use my old 568exII while the issue hasn’t been fixed. I’m looking forward for the next firmware update. Aside from that issue, I love the flash.

By the way, it doesn’t seem to produce the error when using off camera flash via 622C-Tx/622C combinations.

Hi Julzilla,

Thanks for that. That’s the first time I’ve heard this issue mentioned with the YN600EX-RT. Could you please let YongNuo know as well at – service@hkyongnuo.com Thanks.

• Julzilla 2 years ago

Hi, already sent them an email regarding the error.

Ok great, thanks Julzilla.

• VPhotography 2 years ago

So I was reading thru the comments, I am confused between getting the 568ex-ii and yn600 ex-rt. I know I want to get HSS, off (A must) and On camera TTL, a system that could be paired easily with remote triggers and works with multiple flashes and manual flash ofcourse. I guess external batt pack firmware update would be helpful. Which one is better overall for the price? I do not mind spending $20 extra for a better flash…Thanks

Hi VPhotography,

The YN600EX-RT are an overall more updated flash. When you factor in YN-622C / YN-622C-TX triggers for the YN-568EX II the overall price is around the same for a kit of a few flashes.

Unless YongNuo have updated the YN-E3-RT transmitter (I still haven’t bought a new one recently to check) the range was around half that of the Canon ST-E3-RT and YN-622C. (The recent YN-622C-TX range is around 2/3 – 3/4 of the YN-622C). So depending on what you are doing, you may want to factor in an original Canon ST-E3-RT transmitter.

The RT system does not have remote flash zoom, if that may be any issue.

I’m probably going off track from comparing the flashes themselves, though it tends to be the practical factors with the complete system that has more of an impact.

If you go with YN600EX-RT, you can always use them on YN-622C receivers as well. Though I can’t image too many people going that way unless they own the YN-622C system already.

The YN-568EX II have had a lot more time to refine any design and manufacturing issues. Where a range of random issue have been reported from various YN600EX-RT owners. I’m not sure of any common on running issue yet though that needs to be fixed.

YongNuo quality control tends to fluctuate though anyway, so its always possible you could get a faulty YN-568EX II at some stage as well.

Personally I’d be leaning towards the RT gear, if not just for the fact that it is less gear to manage to start with.

• VPhotography 2 years ago

No you are absolutely right! Let see, so here’s what I plan on doing. I am an amateur photographer trying to dip my toes with flash photography. From what I think, I will probably use it mostly on my camera and most of the time off camera. So off camera TTL would be a must. 568ex and 600ex would do both? now for offcamera I read some radio trigger issues with 600EX, are there any? Heading in future, I want to use multiple flashes together so the YN-622C transmitter w 600ex would be used in the future. how are the results of this arrangement? Also, any other recommendations w flashes? also, how useful is the batt pack and firmware update feature?

• Nataly 2 years ago

Yeah…it didn’t work on my 60D too.
      Same error…error 20.

I almost lost great and important moments at the wedding last night!
      Luckly I had an extra flash (canon 580ex) with me

2. Donald 2 years ago

Mine 600ex had a problem with the zoom STUCK in manual 14mm zoom because it thought the diffuser cap was open… I thought it was broken. Turns out the screws at the bottom of the top head needed to be tightened. Quality control, but just heads up if anyone is stuck in manual zoom

• Nigel 2 years ago

THANKS Donald !!! i thought i was going to have to send it back :-) My difuser was out 1mm… <> and i could change the zoom again… WELL DONE THAT MAN :-)

3. nixland 2 years ago

Just found another weak point of this flash.
    I did a test to find how many consecutive frame a flash can do in hss mode at 10 fps mode.
    I use Canon 1D IV at 1/6400 shutter speed.
    I tested the Canon 580EX II, YN 600 RT and Godox 860c.

At 1/4 power :
    – Canon 580EX II : 4 frames
    – YN 600EX RT : 2 frames
    – Godox V860c : 2 frames

At 1/8 power :
    – Canon 580EX II : 7 frames
    – YN 600EX RT : 3 to 5 frames
    – Godox V860c : 2 frames

Since I dont have the Canon 600EX RT I asked help from somebody on the internet to do the test and he just sent the result :
    At 1/8 power : 8 frames
    At 1/4 power : 4 frames
    He used Eneloop battery, not external pack.

So I wonder why the YN 600 RT have a very low frame rate.

I wonder how many frames the YN 568EX II can do.

Hi nixland,

It looks like you found another weak point of most third party flashes :-)

The third party flashes often provide more light in HSS mode though than the original Canon flashes.

They likely pulse the flashes longer than they need to as well, just to be safe (of clean frame). The PocketWizrd Control TL triggers fine tune and trim the length of time the flashes pulse, so they can effectively shoot more.

• nixland 2 years ago

Just tested the YN 568EXII and it’s a bit better :

At 1/4 : 3 frames
        1/8 : 4 frames
        1/16 : 5 frames

4. Wes 2 years ago

Hi. I’ve bought 2 of these units and am having trouble trying to update them to the latest firmware.
    I have downloaded the zip folder and have followed the installation guide which I also downloaded. It won’t recognise the flash when its plugged in.
    Any help is appreciated as I have a shoot tomorrow that I need them for, so its pretty urgent I get these operational asap.
    Thanks!

• Wes 2 years ago

Also, when it says “Please insert device/pull out and insert again!” I can’t turn the two lights off via the switch. The blue and the purple lights are stuck on. The only way to actually turn this off is the open the battery cover after turning the switch to “Off” and unplugging the USB cable. I’ve tried unplugging the USB alone but it has the same outcome.
      I really need help with this and doing -what SHOULD be- a very basic thing like updating.
      Like I’ve been saying for years now…. why can’t they set these devices up so that when you plug the device in via USB and have the program open, it just auto-updates to the latest firmware.

Please help! Thanks

• Julzilla 2 years ago

What’s your operating system and your current firmware?

• Wes 2 years ago

Windows 8.1 and no idea on the current firmware. I assume its the very first. I can’t even find that out?

5. Wes 2 years ago

Seems my problem is this.
    “USB device not recognised.
    The last USB device you connected to this computer malfunctioned and Windows does not recognise it.
    Recommendation- Try reconnecting the device. If Windows still does not recognise it, your device may not be working properly.”

Anyone else have this issue when you plugged your flashes in?

• Julzilla 2 years ago

You can find the firmware on the custom function menu of the flash. If it’s already at 1.8.1 then it should work on a 64-bit operating system otherwise you have to update the firmware via a 32-bit OS.

• Wes 2 years ago

Hey mate. It says “Firmware 123″
        Then has the time and date underneath

2014-12-08

How is the software so old on this that I have to try to find someone who has a 32bit OS?
        I’ve had Windows 7 64bit since 2011….

• Julzilla 2 years ago

Well I believe you have the old batch of YN600EXs, you need a 32-bit windows in order to update them. It will not work on a 64-bit windows 8.1.

• Julzilla 2 years ago

They had corrected the issue regarding the 32/64-bit operating system but for 1.8.1 firmware or later. Your only choice now is to find a 32-bit system. Too bad, they should’ve programmed it for a 64-bit machine from the start.

• Wes 2 years ago

Ok. Maybe an iMac would work? I have no idea. I’m not tech-savvy unfortunately.
              Failing that I don’t know if it would work through my old laptop which runs Windows XP. Once its updated though, I can then use the software which is on my Windows 8.1 based PC and it will work for future updates, correct?

• Wes 2 years ago

Thanks so much mate. The update worked by using a VERY old laptop.
              Its all up to current firmware.

• Wes 2 years ago

Oh, by the way. Plugging the updated firmware flashes into the PC now which runs Win 8.1, it still says all the same things I mentioned before and still doesn’t work.
                The firmware its now running is 1.8.3.

Also, does this update allow me to use my Eneloops instead of 1980’s basic alkalines?

• Julzilla 2 years ago

Yes you can use eneloops. I use them on all of my speedlites may it be a canon or YN.

• Wes 2 years ago

Ok great. Thanks for that.
                    Did you happen to find out why I’m still having the same issue with the software not recognising that I’ve plugged the flash units in via the USB, despite them now having the very latest firmware on them?
                    You were saying it should now work on Win 8.1 64Bit once the latest firmware was installed….

• Julzilla 2 years ago

I said on a 64-bit system, did not say specifically that it will work on 8.1. It’s all in the update instructions. Read it and be done with it.

Thanks for helping out Julzilla.

The only reason I haven’t commented is that I haven’t had a chance to update to 1.8.3 myself yet.

It was a major hassle getting to 1.8.1 on an old PC though, so I can understand anyone’s frustrations and confusion.

6. Wes 2 years ago

Agreed. Thanks again for your help Julzilla. It was really appreciated!
    Like I mentioned, I’m not tech-savvy, but the only OS I have which isn’t a 64-bit is Win XP. Windows 7 on my laptop and Win 8.1 on my PC are both 64-bit.

7. Arthur 2 years ago

Hello. I have yongnuo yn600 and pixel king pro trigger, but did not work together. Can you help me? Thank you

Hi Arthur,

I haven’t tested this, though its not uncommon for YongNuo flashes to not be compatible with the King Pro, or Kings.

The YN-568EX works, though they have numerous random quirks. And as firmware changes with the Kings that can always vary further.

The best option would be to try and move to all one system or the other when it comes to TTL gear.

8. Jack O'Shaughnessy 2 years ago

I was wondering how to find the firmware date on my 2 YN600EX-RT flashes. Where do you find it? What menu is it located?

Hi Jack,

Its located in the custom functions menu. C.Fn. 27 – “Version Query”.

9. Jack O'Shaughnessy 2 years ago

Thank you, I found it.

10. Jack O'Shaughnessy 2 years ago

I am trying to download the latest version of software for Yongnuo600EX-RT 7.8.3. I keep getting a file with a yz extension. I cannot get a exe file.

Jack O’Shaughnessy

11. Mats 2 years ago

Used a laptop with 32-bit XP. The flash connects but no USB-driver is found. The name is Hid ISP.

Any thoughts on how to get the correct driver?

Also, I can’t download the update software. The download always stops.
    Works for you?

Mats

12. Hendra 2 years ago

Hi

Righ now I have YN622C & YN568ex(MKI), I want to add anathoer flash but still confuse that I need to get YN568EX II or YN600ex-RT.

Does YN600EX-RT can be use as Master Optical (Yes OPTICAL) to control 568EX, I am planning to configure as :
    “Canon 6D + YN622C” ,
    1. Main Light “YN600EX-RT+YN622C”,
    2. Second Light “Optical Slave(YN600EX-RT as Master)

I am sory if not clear, English is not my main langguage

Hi Hendra,

No the YN600EX-RT does not have a Canon optic wireless master function. Only an optic wireless slave mode for Canon and Nikon.

As well as basic S1 and S2 optic slave modes.

Though you can’t really do what I think you are wanting to do their even with a flash that has a Canon optic wirless master function, as that will not work while attached to a YN-622C receiver.

If you’re mainly just using manual power setting, then you could set the YN-568EX to S1 slave mode just to fire the flash (in your set up mentioned). There would be no remote control though. In TTL the S2 slave mode may work (if the YN-568EX is set to manual) though again there would be no remote control available for the YN-568EX.

By far the best option though is to just get another YN-622C receiver for your next flash as well. That could be a YN-568EX II or YN600EX-RT. Its really not worth trying to mix the radio and optic systems for the sake of a $40 receiver.

Or grab a YN-622C-TX transmitter, and use you second YN-622C for the new flash.

13. Pat 2 years ago

Just to make sure im thinking correctly. Im upgrading (wink wink) my ex580II’s to YN600EXRT’s.
    The question is… I have canon 5dMKII’s, would i ever need a YN-E3-RT transmitter?

Hi Pat,

Sorry I’m not really sure what you are referring to with that question.

If you mean what is the difference between the a YN600EX-RT and YN-E3-RT used as the master / transmitter unit on the camera?, then the YN-E3-RT allows the GR Group mode (allowing 5 mixed groups of ETTL and Manual etc) where the YN600EX-RT only provides group mode for post 2012 cameras.

The YN-600EX-RT has better range than the YN-E3-RT though. And the YN-E3-RT can be used on non Canon cameras proving remote manual power control. Also its obviously a lot smaller and lighter than a full sized flash mounted on the camera.

I think the GR Group mode is the main functional difference though.

14. John 2 years ago

Having had this flash for a few months, its true Junk. Canon should have stayed with the canon 580 series and made a 580exIII. I was so looking forward to the Yn version of the canon 600 and I’ve been let down big time. I can NOT depend on it whatsoever at events etc..

• Earl 2 years ago

Are you talking about the Yongnuo 600 ex rt or the Canon 600 ex rt? I have both and the Yongnuo was one of the biggest mistakes I ever bought. The original works great and batteries do not drain while the Yongnuo drains overnite

15. nixland 2 years ago

My 600 RT drains the battery extremely fast when not in use. Did I get a bad copy? Any setting I should do?

Hi nixland,

This was an issue a number of people mentioned with the first batch of the YN600EX-RT, and I haven’t heard of it happening with later flashes.

A couple of people indicated later firmware updates appeared to resolve the issue. Though I can’t confirm if that is correct. If your firmware is up to date though, then you will likely need to exchange the flash if you find this is a problem (some people were happy just to keep them as they are).

16. oren 2 years ago

Hey guys

I’ve been having a bunch of issues with my yn600 ex rt

first it was stuck on 14mm zoom- I’ve read another comment stating “tighten the bottom flash head screws” i’ll try this out.. but-

It’s been stuck in overheating mode, blue and red led flashing blue red blue red (longer flash) and it’s been a couple of days since it’s been chilling on my desk. I’ve also tried putting fresh eneloops in it and no bueno.

I’ve decided to try and update the f/w to 1.8.3 (not sure what’s installed on the device at the moment… how do i check? on camera or inside a menu?’) and their website keeps spitting a connection error when I try to download the files. Could someone please post the zip files of the upgrade guide and the actual f/w to dropbox or something like that!!

thanks much

• Oskar 2 years ago

I own yn600 for less than a week now. I did shoot less than 100 shots with that flash. Today I should photograph baptism in a local church. Few minutes before event flash was working fine. AND THEN only seconds (yes seconds, I don’t exaggerating) before whole ceremony started…. IT STUCK @14mm as yours. Fortunately I notice it and try to fix it. I managed to (partially) fix it when turning the flash a little to the right (or left) for few moments it was OK (focus went from manual to automatic). Then… Then it started to malfunction as you describe (blue/red flash) and “overheating”….. It has ben “overheating” FOR A WHOLE DAY (without using it ofcourse). I AM SO MAD RIGHT NOW !!! Anyone who had shoot anything in a church, knows how little light there is to shoot. Needles to say I didn’t have spare flash with me ( I left it at home on purpose..you know, I have NEW, WORKING flash with me)… I try to reset flash via canon DSLR (delete custom external flash functions) but without any luck. I didn’t update my firmware to 1.8.3 BUT my flash came with this FW already installed. I am very sad and mad at the moment. I will contact seller ASAP.
      PS. I did buy my flash Via German Ebay (I live in europe).

17. Mats 2 years ago

Hi Oren,

Had issues downloading on a 64-bit computer.
    Worked on a 32-bit. Please observe you need to use a 32-bit computer to update the fw.
    From 1.8.1 one can use W7/64-bit according to the revison doc in the folder.

Here are the installer, fw 1.8.3 and manual.
    Please not, they will be removed after 7 days.

Check the manual how to check the fw version on the flash.

The install worked ok for me. My flash now behaves better than before.

Disclaimer: Installing new firmware is always a risk. You do this at your own risk. Check that the batteries are ok before update.

Cheers,
    Mats

• Keith 2 years ago

THANK YOU for the link and download!!! I have been searching for about an hour!!! Would you also have the drivers, or are they included in the download? THANKS

18. Mats 2 years ago

Hello,

The drivers are installed from the fw install program.
    Check no 5 and 6 in the Firmware upgrade guide (PDF)

Thanks for doing this Mats.

I haven’t had a chance to even update the firmware yet myself. Though I will try and do this tonight, and I will upload the files to my hosts server here so they can remain available.

Thanks again.

19. oren 2 years ago

I read some comments online, it seems as thought I might of gotten a electronically dud unit from “eachshot” amazon seller… I’m shipping the flash unit back tonight and will attempt getting another one from a different vendor.

20. Mats 2 years ago

Have also had the issue with the flash zoom stuck on 14 mm.
    In my case it was the wide angel plastic difuser that was not completely pressed in.
    When taking that difuser out the flash is set to M 14 mm. Pressed in = Auto

Mats

Ok for anyone having issue downloading from the YongNuo webiste, I have uploaded the YN600EX-RT firmware update files to DropBox.

Software & Firmware Update Guide:

Firmware v1.8.3:

22. Wolf 2 years ago

I know the YN600EX-RT is not supposed to work with my Canon 1Ds Mark II. Thought ETTL is the problem.
    But even if I set the flash to manual mode it does not fire at all. Anybody else with this problem?

23. Eid 2 years ago

Hey,

So as I understand – sadly – the YN600EX-RT doesn’t work with YN-622C-TX.

I want to get a system to use with my Fuji X-E1. Any suggestions? Controls need to be on the send unit.

Thought about YN-622C-TX + YN600EX-RT – but if that does not work then,
    YN-622C-TX + YN-568EX II via YN622C

any better methods than this currently?

Thanks! And great web!

• Wolf 2 years ago

At least that’s the TTL way with my 1Ds II.

Hi Eid,

I its only for the Fuji, then you could go with a remote manual system like the YN560-TX and YN560 IV flashes, or the Godox V850/Witstro and FT-16 transmitter.

If you have Canon 600EX-RT flashes, then the YongNuo YN-E3-RT transmitter will work in remote manual on the Fuji, though not with the YN600EX-RT at this stage.

24. Eid 2 years ago

Thanks for the info. So both strategies are equally good? Down to the best price?

• Wolf 2 years ago

First: I wrote “The YN600EX-RT does work with YN-622C-TX, as long as you use the YN-622N-TX on your camera.”
      I meant: The YN600EX-RT does work with YN-622C, as long as you use the YN-622N-TX on your camera.
      That makes sense :-)

Second: No. I prefer my YN-622C & YN-622C-TX because I can do supersync with these and I can use rear curtain sync. BUT: I have more stuff to carry around :-(

25. Jeff 2 years ago

Does firmware v1.8.3 give the YN600EX-RT “Linked Shooting” capability? My YN-E3-RT has it.

26. kcvb 2 years ago

i would like to ask you some before buy this flash.

1. What is latest version of this flash? Is there yn 600ex rt mark ii yet? When this flash release?

2. So beside Radio trigger. Does it has optical master transmitter and optical slave receiver function (Like YN 568EX II can do it)? Example Can optical wireless control and adjust setting power, zoom or ttl or manual else as master to slave or as slave from master both?

3. Does this flash have assist beam light( for off or on camera)? Does it has pre-fresh TTL?

4. Does yn 560 iv radio trigger work with this flash?

5. For previous camera before 2012 are there not support some function problems of this flash Can u explain?

6. For my camera is 550d or 60d it is before 2012 release. Support full function on this flash or not?

Best regards

Kcvb

27. Albert 2 years ago

Does anyone else face the same problem with Firmware 1.8.3? I decided to upgrade from 1.8.1 and the flash doesnt’ operate as normal. Flash exposure Lock seems work randomly, the red led in front of it (AF assist) flickers?

28. Vinay 2 years ago

I wanted to know that Yongnuo yn 600 ex rt is compatible with Nikon D7000 and fully functional or not.? If not which speedlite I should buy.

Hi Vinay,

The YN600EX-RT are dedicated for Canon ETTL only. When mounted on a Nikon camera they will only work as a basic manual flash.

The YN-568EX are the top model flash YongNuo have available dedicated for Nikon ITTL at the moment. They are a few years old now, though we don’t know when YongNuo may have a new model available.

The YN-568EX for Nikon do not have an Advanced Optic Wireless Master Mode, only a Slave Mode. And no external battery port.

29. kcvb 2 years ago

Dear Flash havoc

YN 600EX RT support full function or not for radio system of previous camera canon before 2012? like high sync speed and gr group?

Does YN 600EX RT have GR group for radio master transmitter? i saw some more video on youtube no have GR group for master. i saw only ratio ETTL A:B something like this. but i saw YN-E3-RT have gr group master control.

• Vinay 2 years ago

I need to use yongnuo YN 600EX RT on camera attached to it. I am confused between Yongnuo YN 568EX(as per the company “for Nikon” and Yongnuo YN 600EX RT. I have Nikon D7000.

Plz advise.

Hi Vinay,

The YN600EX-RT will only work as a manual flash at most when mounted on a Nikon camera. They are dedicated for Canon ETTL, not Nikon ITTL.

The YN-568EX for Nikon are the main flash available from YongNuo for Nikon at the moment. Provided you don’t need an external battery port they are good on camera flashes though.

If you want an external battery port then the YN-565EX II are the main option. Though they do not have HSS (High Speed Sync).

Hi Vinay,

Hi kcvb,

The YN600EX-RT provide HSS with pre 2012 cameras, though unfortunately not GR Group mode like the YN-E3-RT provides.

They do not work as a remote manual master on non Canon cameras like the YN-E3-RT can do as well.

• kcvb 2 years ago

Dear flashhavoc

-They do not work as manual master on non canon camera what different for canon camera and non canon camera for this using this flash? Detail all in this please.

-u said no gr group master? But my friend said have gr group as master transmitter. Here is his photo sent me u see gr master on yn 600ex rt?

– for yn 600ex rt or yn 560 iii or iv can plug on canon and nikon as once? I mean just buy one flash can use on both brand? It is not separate by specific camera brand or what?

– for yn 560 iv master transmitter does it can wake up sleep mode for slave?

– by u said previous camera before 2012 like 550d or 60d support all function of yn 600ex rt? Right? Nothing problem all? Even no need update firmware on both flash and camera?

• kcvb 2 years ago

Here gr master u said no have? Why it has? Check photo please https://db.tt/dWFO0OwZ

Ok,

A) Remote Manual for Non Canon cameras was a feature added to the YN-E3-RT so that 600EX-RT slave flashes can still be used with Non Canon cameras like mirrorless Fuji Pentax Olympus etc, with remote manual power control. The YN600EX-RT does not provide that feature.

B) Yes there is a GR Group Mode in the 600EX-RT flash. But this GR Mode only works with cameras built 2012 and later. If used with pre 2012 cameras the flash will switch straight back to ETTL each time after the first shot.

C) Yes the YN560 III / IV are single firing pin flashes. They function the same when mounted on any camera with a regular hotshoe.

D) No the YN560 IV does not have a wake up feature (because they are single firing pin flashes). They will wake the slave flashes after the first shot is taken though.

E) Yes they should be compatible, except for the added features mentioned already like the GR Group Mode.

30. kcvb 2 years ago

A, when did yn 600ex rt and yn 560 iv release date? Estimate do they will issue yn 600ex rt ii and yn 560 V soon?

B, yn 560 iv master transmitter first shoot is wake up slave from sleep (slave flash no fire) then after slave flash wake up already, for second shoot the slave flash fire? Right or wrong?

C, yn 560 tx support wake up of slave or not? Does it is single pin hotshoe also same like yn 560 iv and iii? Does it separate for each camera brand or just one can use with all camera?

D, yn 600ex rt if update firmware for pre 2012 camera (550d or 60d) or update firmware for flash itself. Does gr work or not?

E, yn 600ex rt produce separately for each camera brand or just once can use for all camera like canon and nikon as once?

F, so for 600ex rt for later canon camera support all full functions? But for nikon or other camera can not manual master transmitter to slave only? Beside that work all function? But as nikon no have radio canon system what happen for this?

A) Around October last year. I don’t think there will be new models any time soon.

B) Yes I think that is right. Though I disable the sleep mode on the flash anyway :-)

C) Yes YN560-TX supports the wake up feature if used on the corresponding Canon or Nikon Camera. They have full TTL contacts on the transmitter foot, not just a single pin.

D) No, GR mode does not work with pre-2012 cameras. Only if using the YN-E3-RT as transmitter

E) The YN600EX-RT is only made for Canon cameras. It will only work as a manual flash when mounted on a non-canon camera. And no radio master function then.

F) As above, the YN600EX-RT is dedicated to Canon ETTL cameras only.

For Nikon YongNuo will likely make a version of the YN685 flash with YN-622N transceiver built inside. Or Shanny have the SN910EX-RF available now.

31. kcvb 2 years ago

A, but u not yet tell all this yn 560 iv or iii and yn 600ex rt and yn 560 tx produce can mount any camera brand as once? Not separate for each brand? I mean if buy one of this can mount on canon then take it to mount on nikon? Only different some feature no work if different camera brand right?

B, U said dedicate to canon ettl only? But i saw optical ittl nikon slave in it also? What is that?

Hi kcvb,

A) The YN560 IV are single firing pin, so they have the same features mounted on any camera.

The YN560-TX have Canon and Nikon versions. If used on cameras other than the one they are dedicated to they only loose the flash wake up feature.

The YN600EX-RT are only dedicated to Canon. If used on other cameras they will only work as a basic manual flash only.

B) Yes a number of third party flashes have both Canon and Nikon Advanced Optic Wireless Slave Modes. This works as a Slave to the Optic Wireless systems only though, not via radio.

That trend of providing both Canon and Nikon Optic Wireless Slave Modes does not appear to be continuing with recent flash models though.

32. kcvb 2 years ago

A, what is AF assist beem? What its duty?

B, what is pre flash? What its duty?

C, does yn 560 iii ans iv have AF assist beem and pre flash?

D, if yn 560 iii and iv no have these. How to focus in dark situation ?

Hi kcvb,

The AF assist light is a small light on the flash or transmitter that projects a pattern, and is usually colored red. This light helps the camera to focus in low light.

Single firing pin flashes do not usually have an AF assist light, as it takes the TTL contacts on the flash to communicate with the cameras when to turn this light on and off.

Without an AF assist light in dark situations you may need to hold a small torch light while focusing. Or use a studio style flash unit with a strong modelling light.

A pre flash is for TTL systems, and wireless systems off camera when using the Advanced Optic Wireless for Canon or Nikon etc. The flash pulses are how the cameras talks to the flashes in the optic systems.

TTL automatic metering is through the lens metering. The flash puts out a small pre flash and the camera looks at how bright the subject is through its own lense and sensor. It then adjusts the flashes power before making the main flash fire at the correct level during the actual exposure.

33. Niels Gram 2 years ago

Has anyone done a reliable comparison between light output of the YN600EX-RT and the Canon 600EX-RT at reduced power level ? My very crude test indicate that the YN output about 2/3 of a stop less light at 1/8 power than the Canon at 1/8 power.

34. kcvb 2 years ago

What is yn cheap strobe with more power of light and cheap battery pack for it?

how much are they?

35. kcvb 2 years ago

Beside this yn 560 iv and yn 600ex rt, what other flash are better cheap price then this got function same like these or more then these?

36. Arnaldo Oliveira 2 years ago

Hi Flash Havoc,
    I was thinking buy the Yongnuo 600EX RT and the ST-E3-RT, but I have some issues if it works correctly in my Canon 6D. Can you help me with this doubts?

Hi Arnaldo,

I’m not aware of any issues specific to the Canon 6D.

Have you heard of some issues with the 6D?

37. PJ 2 years ago

I received an answer from service@hkyongnuo.com about the issue Yongnuo 600RT-EX + Canon 60D:

“Dear User,

Thanks for contacting us!
    According to your description, we kindly suggest you to update your YN600EX-RT with the firmware V1.8.4 and the firmware updater attached to this email.
    Thank you very much for your great support for YONGNUO products! If the problem still exists, or if you have any other questions, please feel free to contact us again.

Best regards,

YONGNUO”

Firmware 1.8.4:

Ok great thanks PJ.

38. julzilla 2 years ago

Finally Yongnuo listened to my email and released fw1.8.4 which fixed the “error 20″ issue with my 60D.

• PJ 2 years ago

I didn´t update my flash yet, Is this firmware works?

39. nick 2 years ago

I hear the this flash drains batteries very fast compared to the canon version. Can anyone comment , The plan is to use this one of camera for wedding reception work.

Thanks,

Hi Nick,

The third party flashes have generally always been a bit less efficient, though they should be around 200 full power shots in a set of regular Eneloops.

If you want a lot more pops without an external battery pack the Godox V860 / Flashpoint Zoom Li-ion may be a better option.

Some early version of the YN600EX-RT had an issue where the batteries would drain with the flash was switched off, if that may also have been what people were referring to. That shouldn’t be an issue with the current flashes anymore though.

40. nick 2 years ago

Thanks for the quick reply, I ordered one yesterday, As for the battery drain, I’m guessing you are probably right, it must have been the early production models, maybe even why they stopped production for a while.

Thanks,

41. Albert 2 years ago

In my comment previously, I mentioned the firmware 1.8.3 screwed up the flash. I couldn’t make it fire most of the time and in rare ocassion the TTL can work. I really hoped the new firmware 1.8.4 can fix this but I’m having problem to update the firmware. I keep having this message: “No available equipment, first connect the device and turn on the power, and then restart the upgrade software”
    I tried to click the “Driver” button but it crashed my Windows XP.
    I tried the same thing on WIndows 7 and it still couldn’t connect.

In conclusion: avoid getting YN600EX. It’s surely cheaper than Canon but you get what you pay for. Do not get this flash if you’re a professional photographer!

Hi Alberto,

Sorry I don’t know what’s going wrong there, though I haven’t heard any common issue with this. If YongNuo can’t offer any advice you will have to return the flash.

I much prefer the original Canon 600EX-RT for on camera master use, though as slave flashes the YN600EX-RT and Shanny SN600C-RT are generally a pretty handy option.

The 430EX III-RT at $299 should be a nice option though too, on or off camera.

42. nick 2 years ago

Just wanted to update everyone, I received the yn600ex-rt. Updated to the latest firmware, I did have to update it twice, first time did not find the flash. Un-plugged and retried, and it worked the second time. This was windows 10 64bit. It updated and all good.

I used it at a wedding yesterday along with 2 canon 600ex in radio mode. 1 canon was the master the other canon was a radio slave along with the yn600. bottom line it all worked!!!.. The camera controlling it all was a 5D Mark III.

Great, thanks for the update nick.

43. Alexei 2 years ago

Ever heard of the problem that this YN600EX RT flash overexposes all images??
    On ETTL mounted on the camera (60D), it overexposes all images, it doesnt matter if i change the exposure compensation to -1, -2, -3, 0,1,2 or 3 it seems as the flash always fires at max power and a blown image is taken, getting the same exact result on any of the exposure variations.
    When i use the wireless flash function of my 60D to fire the flash remotely, guess what… it fires at max as well and always get an overexposed image.
    Even worst, if i set it to manual, it doent matter if i set the power at 1/128, 1/64… or 1/1, it just fires at max and the result is the same.
    The only way to get a picture “right” is to change exposure time, aperture and/or iso to balance the power of the flash.
    Im using it on a 60D, but i also tested it on a 5DII and the same problem is present.

I was trying to update from 1.8.3 to 1.8.4 but had no idea of how to do it, after installing the updater and downloading the firmware, when i run the updater all 4 buttons at the top are disabled, it doent matter if the flash is connected, turned on or off, or disconected. By the way, after connecting the flash and turing it on, the test light stays purple and the link light on, and it wont turn off from the switch after connecting it, the only way is to open the battery door.

Any suggestions??

Hi Alexei,

If the flash is always firing at full power even when set to a lower manual power level, that usually means the IGBT controller (which cuts off the flash power as needed) has failed.

A few people have reported this lately with the YN560 IV models, so hopefully its not going to become more common with the YN600EX-RT as well.

You will likely have to return the flash though unfortunately.

44. Niels Gram 2 years ago

sounds very odd. try to contact YongNuo support.

45. kcvb 2 years ago

Dear Alexei

I saw ur writing always doesn’t matter. What u mean? If doesn’t matter, so what is ur matter?

Ok. Follow go to camera shop ask for yn 600ex rt test try with new one there. Got same problem or not? If not same problem. It is mean ur yn 600ex rt is broken. But if samw problem is mean yn 600ex rt not support with 60d and 5dii as full function. So then u try with 5d iii. If same problem again, it is mean yn problem issued. Report to yn supporter.

Because depend on canon 600ex rt menu book show up some function no work with camera release pre-2012. So yn maybe same.

One more thing can help need to update firmware for your 60D try it again.

46. Jordan 2 years ago

Hi

previously have posted over at YN-E3-RT section regarding the trigger not firing the YN600EX-RT when the trigger was mounted on a non-Canon camera, in my case is an Olympus O-MD EM-5 Mark II. I have since let go the YN600EX-RT but found that there is the new firmware 1.8.4. I remembered the firmware on the flash before it went was 1.8.3.

So just like to know has anyone using a similar setup as mine with the flash firmware upgraded to 1.8.4 seen the firmware solving the issue of getting the flash fired while the YN-E3-RT was mounted on an Oly camera or any non-Canon camera? I just feel it is a firmware away in the flash more than the trigger to have it triggered when used in a non-Canon camera setup.

Thanks.

• Alex 2 years ago

Hi Jordan, I had exactly the same issue mounting it on the Sony A7 camera.

what i noticed is that the YN600EX-RT with never fire on any other cameras but canon with YN-E3_RT. I gave up on this flash

BUT… if you use the Canon 600EX-RT flash and YN-E3_RT in “M” mode it will work great every time, and you can change power from transmitter. I have no idea why there own flash would not work. I have 2 YN600EX-RT with 1.8.3.

To bad the canon has no S1 and S2 slave function.

Hi Jordan and Alex,

I haven’t had a chance to update to 1.8.4 yet. Though there is no mention of this issue being rectified in the firmware change log, so its not likely unfortunately.

I would hope it is just a firmware update needed. Though a number of people have reported the issue to YongNuo, so I’m surprised they have not rectified it yet.

As Alex mentions, ironically it does work with the Canon 600EX-RT.

• Alex 2 years ago

Thanks for hosting the update, it was a big help.

The 1.8.4 does not address the problem.

Ok thanks Alex.

You guys may want to let YongNuo know of the issue at service@hkyongnuo.com.

The more people mention this the more chance they may treat it as a priority.

47. Jordan 2 years ago

Thanks Flash Havoc and Alex for the updates.

Yes, Alex, the Canon 600EX-RT works flawlessly with the YN-E3-RT on Olympus as well. Is just frustrating the same brands does not work in this way when the one they are modelling works..

Even though YN 600-EX-RT has optical slave, I still not keen to use it that way as it defeats the purpose of the transmitter to set the output from there without moving around changing it from the flash.

Seems like another period of wait is needed before I get the YN-600EX-RT again.. Meanwhile I shall go email them and let them know of this issue.

48. Jordan 2 years ago

Just an update. Sent an email to Yongnuo regarding the compatibility issue a few days ago. They responded very swiftly, but very briefly too, that they think it is not compatible with non-Canon cameras because they have not tested that way. While the reply was apologetic, I think they do not seem to think it is a major issue and seems to have no intention to rectify this any time soon. Sad.

So I guess for us non-Canon users with the 600EX-RT and E3-RT, Yongnuo flashes can be crossed out at the moment for wireless usage..

Hi Jordan,

Thanks for that. I would reply telling them that the YN-E3-RT transmitter has a mode specifically designed for use with non canon cameras and remote manual power control with RT flashes.

This works correctly with the original Canon 600EX-RT as slave flash to the YN-E3-RT, but not with YongNuo’s own YN600EX-RT flash.

So there is currently a fault in the system either with the YN-E3-RT or YN600EX-RT.

Could you please forward this issue to the engineer to look at thanks :-)

• Steen 1 year ago

After writing to Yongnuo regarding the legacy problems as outlined above, this was the answer : quote “We are sorry to tell you that YN600EX-RT hardware doesn’t support Legacy mode. The Legacy mode of YN-E3-RT is suit for Canon 600EX-RT only.” end quote. So, If the problem is hardware dependent, they might not be able to fix it via firmware. To me, this sounds a bit odd though, and is just too bad for us with more than a Canon system.

49. Jeff 1 year ago

Do you know whether Yongnuo has plans to make the YN600EX-RT “Linked Shooting” capable like the Canon 600EX-RT?

50. kcvb 1 year ago

Dear yn user

Tomorrow I am going to buy YN 600EX RT for use on my 60D and 550D, can you help me? all function are work for both camera? no problem? example like GR (radio master as group) mode work or not? depend on this video i feel scare alot function no work for 70D it’s no work https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9sMmkRbAFs

best regard