YONGNUO YN686EX-RT – Lithium-ion Speedlite Announced

YONGNUO YN686EX-RT

YongNuo have announced their first Lithium-ion powered speedlite, in the new TTL and HSS enabled, Canon RT compatible, YN686EX-RT Lithium Speedlite.

The YN686EX-RT’s 2000mAh Lithium-ion battery providing over 600 full power flashes, with 1.5 second recycle time.

YONGNUO YN686EX-RT

The YN686EX-RT again providing both Canon RT radio master and slave modes, directly compatible with other YongNuo YN686EX-RT, YN600EX-RT IIYN968EX-RT, and YN-E3-RT, as well as Canon’s 600EX-RT II and ST-E3-RT etc.

Also providing Canon and Nikon Optical Wireless slave modes, and S1 and S2 basic optic slave modes.

YONGNUO YN686EX-RT

YONGNUO YN686EX-RT FEATURES

• Guide Number (GN) 60 Metres at ISO 100 and 200mm
  • Powered by 2000mAh Li-ion Battery
  • Flash Mode – ETTL II /M / Multi
  • 1st Curtain Sync / 2nd Curtain Sync
  • FEC – 1/3rd Increments
  • Manual Flash – 1/128 – 1/1 Output Control (1/3rd increments)
  • 20-200mm Auto and Manual Flash Zoom
  • AF Assist Light
  • Head Tilt 90 / -7 Degrees, Swivel 180 Degrees Left & Right
  • Bounce Card & Wide Angle Diffuser
  • Fast Clamping Foot
  • USB Port

YONGNUO YN686EX-RT

The YN686EX-RT provide a USB port for firmware updates, though no External HV Battery Port.

YONGNUO YN686EX-RT

The level locking hotshoe provided appears to be a simplified design compared to previous versions, without any rubber weather seal included.

YONGNUO YN686EX-RT

PRICE AND AVAILABILITY –

The YongNuo YN686EX-RT Speedlites are available now from approx $150 –

Adorama, Amazon, UK, B&H PhotoEbay

YongNuo – Website

1. Voyteck 4 months ago

they look great!

2. Robert Johnson 4 months ago

Another flash manufacturer copying from the Godox Ving V860II, great move to the battery pack, next YN introduce your version of the Godox AD200, competition in the market is getting hot.

• Ryan Lindsey 4 months ago

As someone who recently moved from Yongnuo to Good because of these batteries, good on them!

I may not switch back (Nikon shooter here), but I much prefer the Yongnuo transmitter controls to the Godox ones.

Yongnuo has easier power adjustment, a bigger screen, and can change the mode of the slaves from the transmitter.

I think they’ll copy the AD600 first, since they already have the YN-300W.

• sceptical1 3 months ago

Hi Ryan,
        I was using the Yongnuo 622TX transceiver with my Nikon and Metz flashes. I also had two Yongnuo 685’s. I felt their controller was better then the very expensive Pocket Wizards for a fraction of the price. They just proved to be soo reliable. Also, I had great luck with the 685 flashes. Like you, I decided last December to replace everything – strobes and flashes – with Godox (Flashpoint rebrand). I wanted strobes and speedlights to work reliably off the same controller, I wanted Lithium batteries for everything, and I wanted everything to have a built-in radio.
        It was a great decision in general. The Godox gear is well built (I have dropped one on the cement from a lightstand and it still works fine) and very reliable. That said, the X1 controller just isn’t as good as the Yongnuo. The X1 controller is less straightforward, the display is dimmer, smaller, and harder to read (especially in bright light). This is actually a fairly big deal. If Yongnuo had had a comparable system to compete, I would have stayed with Yongnuo just because of the better controller.

3. Torben Ager 4 months ago

Make a speedlight that can be tricked bt the air remote from Profoto, please..=)

• sceptical1 3 months ago

Why I didn’t go with Profoto. I want everything to work with everything and I am willing to sacrifice a small amount of light consistency to get that. It also doesn’t hurt that the alternatives are also cheaper (not a deciding factor, but who is against saving a few bucks?).

4. George 4 months ago

Ok who is going to try these batteries first ? 🙂
    Good move by yongnuo it will sell like crazy

5. Kris 4 months ago

Pity it does not have the External HV Battery Port.

• Alfonso A. Tobar 4 months ago

Please, reread… “600 hundreds full power pops…” What do you need an external power supply for? The key word is T.H.I.N.K.!

• garethq 4 months ago

For quicker recycle; stop being condescending.

• Mark 4 months ago

With a Li-Ion you don’t need an external pack. Recycle times and number of pops will be way better.

Actually a lot of people have been asking for an external battery port in the V860II. The Lithium-ion battery is great, but there are times people still want faster recycle, and using a PB960 etc with a conventional speedlite the recycle times can be less than half that of the V860II.

The big restriction then is still heat protection though, and Canon and Nikon are a way ahead of Godox and YongNuo etc there, though hopefully the coming Nissin flash may be something special (at a price).

It all depends on how much speed and power you need though.

• adam 4 months ago

Sometimes I will use the 685s with the HV pack but most of the time I will just settle on the 860s or move up to the ad200/360. I would def buy a 860 with a lithium HV jack. Especially if they made a small pack like the pixel one coming soon.

6. ed 4 months ago

Is this the same battery as the Godox?

Hi Ed,

No its definitely not the same as the Godox battery.

• ed 4 months ago

Thanks !!!!I I would have bet it was the same *LOL*You would think. It looks like they went with a slimmer battery which would make sense.

7. jim 4 months ago

Make a flash that doesn’t overheat and has a powerful AF assist beam that can focus in pitch black.

• Roman 4 months ago

You definitely right! when they start to work on AF assist beam??? It’s much more important i think.

8. Anthony 4 months ago

I just hope they don’t constantly overhead like the Godox flashes

9. jim 4 months ago

The first YN600 overheated and stopped working. I threw mine out one time after it let me down in the middle of a gig. Never again!!

10. Kevin 4 months ago

Is 1 2000MAH lithium better than 4x 2500 mah Eneloop batteries ?

Hi Kevin,

YongNuo haven’t stated the voltage of their battery yet so I couldn’t quote that either, though you need to take the voltage into consideration as well as the Amps.

If they are 11.1V like the Godox batteries then they will have the capacity of around twelve 1.2V 2000mAh AA batteries. (600+ shots).

• Chris 2 months ago

It’s 11.1V just like Godox.

• sceptical1 3 months ago

11. jim 4 months ago

the only thing about these flashes is that you have to buy a second lithium battery as back up, I hope they are not too expensive.

12. Benson 4 months ago

Hi, I’m an Yn600ex-rt user and I underwent overheating problem a few days ago. I had to cover a ceremony outdoors. The sun was hot and I had to use the flash frequently againt the sun. The flash showed overheat signal and slowed the work. I’m looking for a solution. Would this Yn686ex-rt be an answer? Or any other suggestion such as godox flash, please?

• Simon 4 months ago

Do you mean yn600ex-rt or yn600ex-rt ii?

13. jim 4 months ago

Benson, the YN 568ii is quite reliable and doesn’t overheat as far as I know. I have 3 copies and its sturdy enough. Better than its successor, the yn600, that was a godawful piece of crap.

14. Marco 3 months ago

Definitely a good move of Yongnuo. As a owner of their YN-622C TX I’d consider replace my 568II. But I’ m even more interested in a Cordless YN 300-500W Li-ion powered portable studio unit. That would be a killer unit. I don’ t wanna sell all my YN triggers to switch to Godox XT1…

• sceptical1 3 months ago

I got tired of waiting for a complete system. Godox had it and I switched. Such a good decision, despite the X1 controller not being as good as the YN-622.

15. jim 3 months ago

still not released. 🙁

16. James 3 months ago

I saw this Canon version on sale on ebay for AU$200. About when we would have Nikon version?

Hi James,

I really don’t know. I would imagine YongNuo would take some time to see how the first version and batteries etc hold up.

Then chances are they would likely do the YN622 version next, in which case that’s usually the Canon version first as well.

17. Greg 3 months ago

looks like it’s a new yongnuo flash.suit for Nikon D5500?

18. jim 2 months ago

Who is in charge or marketing and PR at Yongnuo? Seriously, its for sale on ebay and there’s no review videos on youtube or anything. FH should have gotten a copy to review as well, because a lot of us make buying decisions based on what we read here.

19. jim 2 months ago

any reviews?

20. jim 2 months ago

Is this compatible with the 6d?

• Simon 2 months ago

Absolutely , yn686c is compatible with 6d ,5D iii, 5D IV, 5DSR etc.

21. jim 2 months ago

Will Yongnup send the website a copy to review

22. jim 2 months ago

did anyone here get one?

23. Paddy 2 months ago

Hi there,
    Is this flash compatible with the 622c-tx

Cheers

Flash Havoc 1 month ago

Hi Paddy,

It should be, provided you attach a YN-622C II receiver to the flashes foot though.

There is no YN-622 radio receiver mode built inside the flash.

25. david 1 month ago

Will FH get a copy to review?

Flash Havoc 1 month ago

Hi David,

I’m caught up with the larger strobes at the moment, so I’m not planning any in depth reviews at the moment. I might pick one up though and see how it goes.

Like with the Godox strobes though I think we need to hear from a number of people to know how the batteries are holding up. And less comments can actually be good news there.

• david 1 month ago

ok thanks.

26. Fran 2 weeks ago

¿Alguien tiene conocimiento de si está disponible el manual de instrucciones en español?