YONGNUO – YNE3-RX Receiver Revealed!

YN-E3RX

YongNuo have revealed images of the reportedly very soon to be available YNE3-RX radio receiver unit.

The potentially game changing receiver unit is compatible with the Canon RT radio system, now opening the system up to include legacy ETTL slave flash units like the previous Canon 580EX II.

Also allowing manual studio lights or speedlites to be fired when using RT transmitter units as well.

So non RT speedlites like the Canon 580EX II or YongNuo YN-568EX II can now act as RT compatible slave flashes when using the Canon ST-E3-RT / YN-E3-RT, or 600EX-RT / YN600EX-RT as transmitter.

A lack of separate receiver unit has previously been the biggest limitation to the industry leading Canon RT radio flash system, so the new YNE3-RT may be a game changing development.

YongNuo are bridging together 2 of Canon’s completely separate, and previously incompatible, radio flash systems with the YNE3-RT receiver, so this is no small achievement.

YN-E3RX

YNE3-RX RECEIVER FEATURES

• Supports Flash modes: ETTL, M, M ULTI
  • Supports single contact flash trigger
  • Supports remote shutter function, test firing
  • Supports PC output interface
  • Supports USB upgrades
  • Supports single contact lead flashing

Compatible transmitter (master unit):
YONGNUO – YN-E3-RT, YN600EX-RT,
CANON – ST-E3-RT, 600EX-RT

Compatible ETTL flash list:
CANON – 600EX-RT, 580EX II, 430EX II
YONGNUO – YN-568EX  II, YN-565C, YN-468C II, YN-467C II, YN-465C

A rear panel LCD interface simply provides Mode, Group, and Channel selection, as well as a handy battery level indicator.

YN-E3RX

A USB port for firmware updates, and PC sync port are provided on the side of the case. And a test fire and shutter release button are located on top.

YN-E3RX

A low profile (no locking ring) metal foot and 1/4″ 20 threaded mounting hole are provided in the base.

YN-E3RX

The YNE3-RX will open the Canon RT system up to legacy ETTL flashes like the YN-568EX II shown below, and as well as previous Canon ETTL flashes like the 580EX II, 430EX II, 320EX, etc.

As well as firing manual studio lights and speedlights via the YNE3-RX’s PC sync port.

YN-E3RX

A lack of separate receiver unit has previously been the biggest limitation to the Canon RT radio system.

And the YNE3-RX now removes a major barrier for many people wanting to move into the RT system, and YongNuo’s own recent YN600EX-RT flash, and YN-E3-RT transmitter.

The YongNuo YNE3-RX receivers are available now from around $50 –

Ebay, YongNuo Ebay, Amazon, YongNuo Amazon, UK, Adorama, B&H Photo

YongNuo – YN600EX-RTYN-E3-RT

YongNuo – Website

1. tomK 3 years ago

Anyone else? Put your on-camera ex600RT in Group Mode, with on-camera flash contributing to the shot in ETTL (bounced or direct). Now place YNE3-RX on any of the remote groups (A-E) in Manual Mode to fire any non-Canon speedlight/monolight. Take a test shot. Over exposed?

I really hope it’s just mine, but since I had this exact issue years ago with Mini/Flex, I fear not. But if it is, I’ll throw it away and spend 50 bucks on a new one. It’s not like they’re going to service it.

Hi tomK,

I just experimented with the YN-E3RX, and they appear to be working correctly just like any RT slave flash as far as I can see.

With your scenario of a manual flash connected to the YN-E3RX, I don’t really follow what you’re saying there.

If the manual flash is also lighting the subject then it has to increase the exposure beyond the standard ETTL exposure (as the TTL flash does not see the manual light when it takes the metering pre-flash).

So are you saying if you cover the manual flash for example, the ETTL expsoure of he on-camera flash still rises in exposure? If so I’m not seeing that issue with the YN-E3RX I have here.

I should add, these receivers are pretty amazing.

They really will transform your YN-568EX or similar MK II style EX flash into an RT slave flash.

2. George 3 years ago

Ok, I received my 2 YN-E3RX units late yesterday and have been experimenting with them using 2 Canon 270 EXII units. They seem to work flawlessly with the small flashes, I can control flash exposure compensation, A:B ratios, and it even appears that they work with HSS ( they both fired using 1/400 of a second with my 5D MKIII). I was doing this with an on-camera YN-E3-RT. I am very happy because I want to intigrate the smaller units with my Canon 600 RT’s. These things just made used 430 EX II units more valuable also!

Hi George,

That’s interesting thanks, because YongNuo appear to have taken the 270EX II off the compatibility list for some reason.

So if you do come across any compatibility issues later please let us know, thanks.

3. tomK 3 years ago

As long as I use my ex600RT’s just as triggers (not as speed lights), everything’s fine.

But the second I also light the scene with the on-camera flash it all goes terribly wrong — like the on camera flash goes to full power, no matter what the eTTL system tells it to do. If I pull the Yongnuo receiver out of the mix (shut it off) the whole system returns to normal without any issues.

A shame. I really wanted this to work. I’ll go back to using my ex600RT fleet exclusively until more information comes to light.

Hi tomk,

Just to make this clear, can you test what I mentioned?

Put a box over the manual flash (connected to YNE3-RX) so it can’t possibly be adding any light to the scene at all.

Then tell me if your on-camera ETTL exposure is still having exposure issues.

If that’s that case then something is wrong somewhere, because mine is not doing that.

It could be possibly be due to camera model etc, but the first thing to work out is if we are seeing the same results.

4. josh 3 years ago

Anyone know if they will work using yn-e3-rt as transmitter and shanny sn600c Flash units?

Hi Josh,

I haven’t tested these myself yet, but Alexander from YN622.RU and Shanny themselves have said all the Shanny flashes are fully working when mounted on a YN-E3RX receiver.

So the answer should be yes there.

• josh 3 years ago

This site is awesome and I really appreciate your fast responses.

5. Jesse Patterson 3 years ago

Everything sounds great so far! I did have a chance to ask Yongnuo on Ebay about the possibility of Super Sync thru the PC port. Here’s their direct reply:

“Hi friend,

Thank you for your letter.

YNE3-RX has HSS function, but you should use it in hot shoe.
    If you use it via PC port with other item, it doesn’t have super sync function.

Wishing you a good day.

Best regards
    Abby”

Someone please tell me she’s wrong, lol! I have a couple of manual flashes I’d love to include with my 600EX flashes above my X-Sync. If not, I’ll get them anyway 🙂

Hi Jesse,

She’s wrong 🙂

The pre sync signal comes through the PC sync port on the YNE3-RX receiver.

Non of the RT transmitters technically have a SuperSync timing adjustment though at this stage.

6. Jesse 3 years ago

Yay! 🙂 That is fine with me Flash! I didn’t need the timing adjustment for the YN622C and hopefully, I won’t need it for the YNE3-RX!

7. Thomas Geist 3 years ago

I am currently testing a plethora of mixed lighting/camera equipment (simply because we use mixed cameras – Olympus, Canon, Nikon) and the YNE3-RX looked nice for extending the pretty cool Canon radio system across all our stuff.

Generally the YNE3-RX seems very nice but there is one issue that hampers the cross brand use the Yongnuo YN-E3-RT transmitter basically promises.

When the YN-E3-RT is set to GRP mode and it is fired from a non-Canon camera (or simply the center pin is bridged), Groups turned OFF will still fire.

So as long as you stay in the Canon ecosystem camera-side it’s fine and the YNE3-RX does what it’s supposed to: letting you use non Canon-radio flashes in the Canon radio system.

But once you use a non-Canon camera we have a problem.

8. Jesse 3 years ago

Hey everyone! WOW!!! Have you guys heard about this!? Canon just bought out Yongnuo! I found out here: https://fstoplounge.com/2015/04/canon-buy-knock-off-brand-yongnuo/

9. Jesse 3 years ago

Crap! That could be an April Fool’s joke, lol.

10. Anthony 3 years ago

Hi Flash Havoc,

I’ve got a question.

My current gears include:
    -Canon 450D
    -2x Canon 580 EXII
    -Pixel King set (1 sender 1 receiver)

I bought the Pixel king trigger due to its ability to control the 580 EXII in my CANON 450D. However to control two 580 EXII I have to buy another Pixel king receiver which cost around 85euro. It is just bit too much if you can pay a half for a Yongnuo trigger with the same and better functionality.

Which Yongnuo triggers and receivers or transevier with the ability to control each individual flash do you recommend? And I would like to buy a extra Yongnuo flash unit in the future.

Is the YNE3-RX and YN-E3-RT my best option? Or there is a cheaper option like YN560-TX

Thanks a lot

Hi Anthony,

The YN560-TX will only provide remote manual power levels when using the latest YN-622C receivers (with TTL flashes like your 580EX II).

So unless you’re after a lot of inexpensive remote manual flashes like the YN-560 III then the YN-622C-TX and YN-622C receivers would be the main option other than the RT system.

I guess the YN-622C-TX would save you $50 over the YN-E3-RT transmitter, though that’s about the extent of the difference in price, even factoring in future slave flashes at this stage if you’re going all YongNuo (as a YN-622C + YN568EX II costs around the same as a YN600EX-RT).

Which system to go with, YN-622 or RT, is hard to answer. If you need range then the YN-622C have the advantage. We don’t know if the January 2015 YN-622C-TX are on sale yet, as they have improved range closer to the original YN-622C (and YN-622C can always be used as a transmitter as well if you need the range now).

For extra flashes, if you really want a flash with receiver built in, then the YN600EX-RT are available now. There’s no knowing if or when YongNuo will produce a flash with YN-622C receiver built in.

If you’re not desperately concerned about expanding the system in the future, then the YN-622C / YN-622C-TX are likely the way to go for an economical system at the moment. You could grab a Shanny SN600C for around $90 to save some money on the extra slave flash.

11. Gilbert 3 years ago

Hello ‘Flash Havoc’ could you please tell me whether this YNE3-RX receiver unit would work with the YN300W studio strobe in radio TTL or just manual mode? Thanks as always for the great website and news!

Hi Gilbert,

I haven’t checked if there are any firmware updates for the YN300W, but I just tried with the YNE3-RX and there appear to be some bugs.

They do actually appear to work together in ETTL or manual. Though the YNE3-RX cause a few quirks. Firstly the recycle beep locks on constantly after I take a shot, so I had to disable that. The flashes interface is also mostly disabled, so I can’t turn the modeling light on or off without switching off the receiver first.

Otherwise the ETTL and manual do appear to work ok. A firmware update should hopefully be able to fix the other quirks.

The YN300W are pretty cool lights, though if you’re not aware they have massive color shift from around 1/4 power down.

1/1 to 1/4 power is 5400K to 5600K +2 which is fine.

Though from 1/8 to 1/128 is 5900K +7 to 8300K +37

So the shift across the entire power range is nearly 3000K !

• Gilbert 3 years ago

Pretty cool information there, thank you sooo much!

12. Daniel 3 years ago

I’m looking to pair the YN-E3-RT transmitter with the YNE3-RX + Flashpoint Streaklight 360. Would I be able to achieve HSS with that setup? The Flashpoint’s triggers control everything except do HSS.

Hi Daniel,

Yes this works beautifully. I think the receiver needs to be attached via the YNE3-RX’s PC sync port though.

13. nixland 3 years ago

Does this RX work with Godox Ving on ETTL and HSS ? Thanks

Hi Nixland,

I’ll need to check this properly and get back to you. It should do though.

14. nixland 3 years ago

I’ll be waiting Elv. Curious to know 🙂

Ok, no the V860C do not currently work with the YNE3-RX unfortunately.

The flash fires once (at an incorrect TTL exposure), and then locks up. So even the test fire button will not fire the flash again until it is removed from the YNE3-RX hotshoe.

The camera aperture is displayed on the flash though, so there is some communication working.

This was using the current firmware V2.0 on the V860C. V1.8 was the same result, and the earlier V1.2 does not lock up the flash, though it still only fires once, and with incorrect TTL exposure.

The V850 (single firing pin flash) does fire fine as a basic manual flash on the YNE3-RX. And the HSS mode works as well. As with the Witstro flashes.

15. nixland 3 years ago

Thanks a lot Elv. That’s disappointing for me, since I plan to get the V850c for it’s rechargable battery plus ttl/hss, while I still use my Canon 580/430 and YN flash 🙂

16. taro irei 3 years ago

would this receiver work with the Godox Witstro 360 (off course in manual mode), and if so, would HSS work as well. I use my canon RT600EXs combined with the Witstro, but i need to use the witstro remote, for which I have to add a bracket to the side of my 5D MArk III, and I cannot use it with the 6D as it has no PC sync port.

Thank you very much for your time and all the info you share with us.

Respectfully yours,

Taro
    from Tokyo.

Hi Taro,

Yes the YNE3-RX works great with the AD360 and HSS. You would still need the FT-16 transmitter in pocket etc to remotely control the power levels though.

• taro irei 3 years ago

wow! That was a super quick reply.
        Thank you. Will get one. Yes, I understand I need the ft-16 to control the power.
        Last summer I shot these with 4 canon 600RTs, hope to do it with one Witstro this year.

I dont mean to make PR on your page, so you can keep this message out of the tread.

Thank you very much.

And by the way, if there is anything I can help you with from Tokyo, let me know.

Respectfully yours,

Taro

17. Nick 3 years ago

Seems I’m a few weeks late to this party, but I’m very curious about YNE3-RX compatibility.

I’m shooting a Canon 5dm3, using the YN-E3-RT to trigger my 600EX-RT. I was looking into adding a second flash unit when I came across the YNE3-RX, and wondered whether I might be able to save some $ and use my old 420EX as a second flash unit (sitting on the the YNE3-RX, with the YN-E3-RT on the 5dm3). I didn’t see any mention of compatibility with this flash unit in the manual or on the YN website, and it is a pretty old flash. NOTE: I’ve emailed YN this question also.

Assuming it is not compatible and I need to purchase a second flash unit, does anyone have any recommendations that would work with the the YN-E3-RT and 600EX-RT?

Thanks for your time.

• Yuppa 3 years ago

It’s in the manual and on the website–plain as day.

Canon 600EX(RT)/580EXII/430EXII

Hi Nick,

I’m not sure about Canon mark one flash compatibility with the YNE3-RX at this stage, as strangely I don’t have any MK I flashes here at all at the moment to test with. I can’t even find a MK I 430EX for sale now that I want one.

Though its pretty likely function would be limited to possibly TTL only, if that does work.

The safest flash option with the YNE3-RX other than genuine MK II Canon flashes would be the YongNuo YN-568EX II.

Though the YN-600EX-RT have dropped in price from around $126 now, so only about $20 more than the YN-568EX II. And they have the RT transceiver built in, so they would be cheaper and more convenient than YNE3-RT receiver and separate flash.

18. Jan 3 years ago

Hi 🙂

I would like to use 2-3 pieces of the YN560-IV on manual and 2 pcs YN600EX II in TTL controlled from the camera with the YN-E3-RT.
    Will i be able to put a YN560-TX on top of a YN-e3-RX for radio control release and for managing the settings of the manual flashes?

Or can the YN-E3-RT maybe also control the YN-560-IV via radio with the new updates they have released?

I hope someone could shed some light on my topic 😉

-Jan

19. nixland 3 years ago

Elv, can you ask YongNuo/Godox or find out why this RX doesnt work with Godox V860c ? Is there any chance it can work, maybe with a firmware update by YN?
    Because the YN622c works OK with V860c, so wonder why this RX cant do it.

• Yuppa 3 years ago

The RX is a Canon/YN product ONLY. When any YN product works with a non-YN/Canon/Nikon product–see the compatibility list–chalk it up to shear luck and it’s not future proof.

YN wants you to buy YN/Canon/Nikon. It’s far more likely future firmware updates will contract compatibility than expand it.

I own an older Shanny SN600SC which works fine with my YN622 system. I hear newer YN/Shanny equipment are having issues in this area. If true, do I expect YN to go through the trouble of making Shanny–a competitor–compatible again? Nope.

20. petit BogueBogue 3 years ago

Hi all,

I have just bought a yn-e3-rx and it works well with my yn600ex-rt.

However, when I connect the receiver to my Metz 58af2, it then has under-exposure problem everytime I trigger it.

I wonder if anyone has similar issue experienced.

Thanks in advance!

Bogue

21. Doug 3 years ago

So flashavoc, what does this system get us over the yn-622 system, other than compatibility with canon’s newest flash? I understand that the radio is internal, but is there another benefit? Just trying to decide if this is the system to invest in?

BTW, Do the new radio receivers work with their mono lights?
    Thanks!

22. Bree 3 years ago

Does anyone know if this can work on a rovelight. Hss also?

23. nixland 3 years ago

Just found a new problem.
    When I use the YNE3RT on 5DII and connect the E3RX to Canon 580EXII, the HSS works OK on 580EXII.
    But when I use YN600RT on 5DII and connect the E3RX to Canon 580EXII, the HSS doesnt work at all. I set the mode in the YN600RT to Gr, set the same ID, channel and group between flash and RX and set the hss mode, but hss doesnt work.

Is it due to incompatibily between 5DII and RT systems ?

24. tomK 3 years ago

UPDATE — I finally figured out the issues I was having with this receiver and now have a simple workaround.

Do not place this receiver in GROUP A when using Group Mode from an EX-600RT (or STE-3). Everything works as expected when placed in GROUP B, C, D or E.

Additionally, you’ll find odd problems with your Canon wireless system if turn GROUP A off (the onboard flash head won’t fire, even if you turn it on).

A simple workaround, GROUP A must always me on (ETTL, Ext, or M modes fine), and the receiving unit(s) must all be Canon.

PHEW — I’m so relieved. With this new discover I shot two weddings last weekend with the YNE3-RX firing a barebulb Godox speedlight with GREAT results.

25. Yuppa 3 years ago

I know the YN500EX is NOT on the compatibility list for the YNE3-RX, but since it’s an ULTRA modern model, essentially a “mini” 568EX, I had to try:

You see, Yougnuo treats this awesome little 430EX knockoff–it’s intended market space–as a red-headed step child, so NOT seeing on the list didn’t surprise me.

So I swallowed by brain–again–and wrote to Yonguo hoping to get a non-copy and paste response. Alas, no: they simply regurgitated the list off the website.

So does anybody own this combo and is it compatible? I may just have to wait until I acquire a set myself to test it as YN RT is my future.

26. Yong knew? 3 years ago

Why doesn’t this unit have a lock of some sort on the bottom contact mount?

I have a flash clamp that always had issues with the screw on contact mount of flashes and looking at this receiver with a flash on top, I don’t believe this receiver is going to hold without some form of locking mechanism!

How would this receiver hold onto a flash mount without a lock?

Has anyone had any issues mounting this receiver with a flash in a softbox and stand?

27. nixland 2 years ago

I found something interesting on yne3rx when used with Canon 5Dii and Canon 580exii/430exii. And off course with yne3rt.

In hss mode, at faster than camera sync speed (above 1/200) :

Canon580EXII :
    With 50mm lens, it wont fire at f6.3 and above (f7.1 and so on)
    With 85mm lens, wont fire at f9 and above.

Canon 430EXII :
    With 85mm lens, wont fire at f8 and above.

With yn568exii and yn600rt it is no problem.

I havent updated the 600rt and e3rx firmware yet.

That’s interesting, thanks nixland.

I don’t have the 430EX II or 580EX II anymore, but I will check with the Canon 600EX-RT.

Have you updated the YN-E3-RT transmitter to V1.16 as well?

• nixland 2 years ago

Sorry, I mean I haven’t updated the yne3rt firmware yet … not 600RT 🙂

28. Chris 2 years ago

My YNE3-RX E3-RX is not syncing with my Canon 580ex II. The 580ex II fires, but it is not recorded. I have not tried a firmware update on the YNE3-RX E3-RX, although I have updated the yn600ex-rt and the trigger.

• Niels Gram 2 years ago

I bought a YNE3-RT and YNE3-RX set on German ebay last week and received it today. The -RX seems to be unable to communicate with my Canon 580EX-II at all. It can’t fire it and it can’t change power level in manual mode. The -RX seem to work with my Canon 600EX-RT (it can change power level and it can fire this flash). Maybe Yongnuo has made some changes to the -RX without making them publicly known. The whole point in getting a YNE3-RX is to have it work with my 580EX-II so the trigger set will probably have to go back…

Hi Niels,

I think there must be something to it there, unless you do have a faulty receiver.

YongNuo still have the 580EX II listed as compatible, and I think its highly unlikely they would change that. Apart from their own flashes the 580EX II would be the main Canon flash these are designed for. I haven’t heard anyone else mentioning issues with 580EX II compatibility.

Are you sure the flash is fully seated properly in the receiver hotshoe, fully charged batteries, not in master or slave mode, just regular TTL mode?

• Niels Gram 2 years ago

Thanks for the response 🙂 A faulty receiver could be a plausible explanation. It can control and fire one of my 600EX-RT (only tested with one since the other is currently disassembled to dry properly after a mishap with an umbrella some wind and a nearby stream – but it fortunately still works). It can not fire or control my 580EX-II regardless of flash mode – and my Pixel King X and Phottix Stratos II have no problems with that in the same flash mode. It can’t fire either of my YN560-III which is seems weird since they are single-pin firing flashes – but maybe the YNE3-RX has been designed to work with single-pin firing flashes… I think I will try to get in touch with YoungNuo support…

• Niels Gram 2 years ago

Placing my Phottix Stratos II transmitter between the YNE3-RX and the 580EX-II fixes the problem. This is the first time I’ve had any issues with the 580EX-II. It works mounted directly on the camera and it works on my other triggers. Cleaning contacts had no effect. So my conclusion must be that YontNuo must have an issue with either the design of the hotshoe on the YNE3-RX or an issue with the production. A through visual inspection hasn’t reviled the issue.

Hi Niels,

That is interesting about the Strato II. It sound like you must have a faulty receiver though, as I checked the YN-560 III you mentioned and they fires fine on the YNE3-RX receiver. Using either the YN-E3-RT or Canon ST-E3-RT as transmitter.

(The YN-560 III can’t be set to radio receiver mode though, or it won’t trigger via the foot contact at all with any trigger etc).

• Chris 2 years ago

Were you able to actually fix the issue between the YN-E3-RX and the 580ex-II?

• Niels Gram 2 years ago

I wouldn’t call it a fix… I bought an other -RX which mostly work just fine and returned the faulty unit for a refund. The faulty unit by the way also drained the batteries – something I didn’t notice at first. I’ve had one incident with the new -RX where I was able to fire the 580II by pressing test on the -RT but it wouldn’t fire with the shutter release. I have no explanation for this. Except for this I’m actually quite pleased with the YNE3 triggers – I already had two Canon 600EX-RT’s and it’s quite nice to get rid of the external receiver.

29. jdmi 2 years ago

Do you know if this YNE3-RX radio receiver is compatible with the Shanny SN-E3-RT Speedlite Transmitter?

jmdi

Hi jdmi,

I just gave it a try and they do appear to be working ok together at the moment.

Though I would still be very wary of looking to build a flash system relying on the 2 brands to remain compatible. Because there have already been changes causing issues with some gear in the two RT systems, and Shanny have stated they no longer intend to try an retain YongNuo compatibility.

If its just one or two transmitter or receivers etc, and you’re aware there may be issues with them working together down the track then no problem.

I picked up a recent YongNuo YN-E3-RT transmitter, and the range is now as good as the Canon or Shanny units, so the YongNuo transmitter is generally a better choice now anyway. That doesn’t help if you want to go with Shanny flashes though.

• jdmi 2 years ago

Your answer allows me to take a more informed decision. I have two 580EX II and I just bought a Canon 6D. I want to buy a trigger that would allow me to stay in Canon standards. Also I plan to buy other flashes (RT) in the near future.

The reviews seem to say that the Shanny SN-E3-RT is a slightly superior product than the YongNuo YN-E3-RT.

jdmi

Hi Jdmi,

No worries, though I would say the YongNuo YN-E3-RT are far better than the Shanny SN-E3-RT at the moment.

Shanny made some nice improvements to the interface, like showing all 5 groups at once in the group mode etc, though they didn’t resolve their major issues, like the ridiculously stiff dial, and loose fitting foot / clamp etc.

The major issue with the YongNuo YN-E3-RT previously was the range, though that appears to be resolved now.

I think Shanny will improve their SN-E3-RT in the future, though I personally wouldn’t recommend the current version (unless buying out of necessity for the moment to use with the Shanny flashes).

• Jesse Patterson 2 years ago

Oh, cool! A couple of things, did the new YN-E3-RT come with firmware 1.17 or newer? I was wondering if it works with 2015 cameras like 5Ds/r, T6s / T6i, or EOS M3. Also, with my current copy, the YN-E3-RT overexposes my Canon 600s when I use them in EXT mode.

• Jesse Patterson 2 years ago

Does your new copy of the YN-E3-RT fit more snug in the hotshoe? Also, with the EXT.A issue, my 600 and ST-E3-RT work perfectly in that mode.

Hi Jesse,

The YN-E3-RT came with firmware V1.16. That appears to be the latest version available.

I’m haven’t heard of any specific issues with 2015 cameras. Once people start getting the 5Ds/r we might hear something.

I actually haven’t used or heard much about the EXT mode, though its likely that is a common issue then that’s been overlooked. I’ll have a look to see that has improved at all, though that’s probably not likely if you’re already using firmware V1.16.

Now that you mention it the current YN-E3-RT transmitter is more snug in the camera hotshoe. I measured the feet and they both the same, so I’m not sure exactly why the current one is better, though it is quite a good improvement.

There is still just a little movement though, where the Canon ST-E3-RT virtually doesn’t have any.

30. jdmi 2 years ago

I understand that YongNuo has been able to improve its product. I will follow your recommendations.
    Regards,
    jdmi

Hi jdmi,

No worries, I don’t want to turn you off the SN-E3-RT if that’s the one you would prefer (they are certainly a nice looking unit). The 2 I have have always been reliable from the start, and a couple of people have said now they are happy with them. Just be aware the dial and buttons can be cumbersome particularly if you’re in any hurry.

Keeping the YongNuo gear together (with the YNE3-RX) is definitely the safer option into the future as well though.

31. Jeff 2 years ago

Will the SN-E3-RT + YNE3-RX trigger manual flashes? thank you for your reviews!

32. Jeff 2 years ago

will a second curtain trigger from the SN-E3-RT to the YNE3-RX transmit also to a manual flash?

33. Jeff 2 years ago

very sorry… I meant the YN-E3-RT not the “S”N-E3-RT.

Hi Jeff,

Yes the YN-E3-RT will trigger manual flashes attached to the YNE3-RX receiver, either on the hotshoe or connected via sync cord.

And yes Second Curtain Sync appears to work with the manual flash as well. (Again using the YN-E3-RT as transmitter, as the Canon and Shanny transmitters do not provide SCS).

• Jeff 2 years ago

Thank you! that’s great, I’ll assume that if it can trigger a manual flash that it might also also trigger a transmitter for studio strobes. I ordered a YN-E3-RT and a YN600EX-RT to play with they should arrive tomorrow, I guess I’ll add a YNE3-RX to my order.

34. Jeff 2 years ago

Seems like the cleanest and low cost method for combining second/rear curtain flash with studio gear may be using a YNE3-RX in combination with a YN-E3-RT. And, it doesn’t rely upon optical triggers or line of sight. I’m anxious to try this out but the YNE3-RX are currently back-ordered.

35. cory 2 years ago

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I’m starting to get confused with all the new YN triggers/reciveres/transceivers etc. In an ideal world, here’s what I am looking for

1. Something very similar to the 622c -TX (with easy control of all other groups + AF assist) only WITH a hotshoe

2. A flash that has built in radio recieving capabilities so i don’t need 3-4 additional receivers, (which, in my case, is 3-4 YN 622c’s)

I thought maybe the Cactus V6 would work with the YN 600’s, but as of now, no such luck — any idea if those triggers will be upgradable anytime soon?

And my main question here is: What would the advantage be using these YNe3-rx’s over the orginal YN 622’s (if I’m using a 622c -TX as my transmitter) ?

Like I said, I’m starting to get a little confused by all the new stuff coming at us so fast — thanks for any clarifications/suggestions in advance 🙂

Cory

Hi Cory,

The YN-622 (RF) and Canon / YongNuo RT radio systems are completely separate and not directly compatible.

So you can’t use the YN-622C-TX with YNE3-RX receivers in any case.

Why do you want / need a hotshoe on top of your transmitter though?

The idea of the RT system is that you either use the ST / YN-E3-RT transmitter, or you use a Canon / YongNuo 600EX-RT flash as the master unit on top of the camera. As that is much more reliable than relying on stacking TTL flashes on top of TTL triggers on the camera.

Personally I think the ideal way to go about this is to use a genuine Canon 600EX-RT as the flash / master on camera, and less expensive third party RT flashes as the slaves.

The YN-E3-RT appears to have good range and reliability now, and its had a number of functional advantages over the Canon units from the beginning.

The main disadvantage to the RT system over the YN-622C is the lack of remote flash zoom, though for many people that not much of an issue anyway.

There is no flash option with built in YN-622C transceivers available at this stage though anyway.

The Cactus are remote manual only, and sorry I don’t know if they will adopt YN600EX-RT support.

36. Max 2 years ago

Hey,

As always, thanks for all you do. Great site!

I’ve got a Lencarta Super Fast 300, very similar to a Godox QT 300 (if not the same). I also have some YN 600 ex RT’s and would like to trigger all three from my YN E3 RT. Currently I have some RF 603 II but with that mounted on the camera with the YN e3 RT on top it won’t trigger the strobe.

I was thinking that this trigger, the YNE3-RX, would work and allow the YN E3 RT to trigger both strobes and speedlights. Am I correct in assuming that and if so would you agree it’s the best option? If not can you suggest another?

Sorry to ask a fairly basic question I just find the vast ranges of these third party manufacturers so confusing, all with appalling names!

Thanks for your help,

Max

Hi Max,

Yes the YNE3-RX would be the best receiver option for your QT300 if using an RT transmitter on the camera.

The YNE3-RX provide the HSS pre-sync signal as well, so if you set the strobe to full power you may be able to use higher shutter speeds with all the flashes in use as well.

I don’t quite follow your issue with the RF-603 II transmitter though. Are you saying as soon as you mount the YN-E3-RT transmitter on top of the RF-603 II transmitters pass through hotshoe your QT300 will not fire? or the YN600EX-RT’s will not fire?

If its the YN600EX-RT’s that won’t fire then that is understandable. Because the RF-603 II only have a manual pass through hotshoe, not TTL, and the YN-E3-RT will not work with the YN600EX-RT in remote manual when mounted on a single pin camera hotshoe. This should work with the YN-E3-RT and genuine Canon 600EX-RT flashes though, its just a bug with the YongNuo combination at the moment.

• Max 2 years ago

Thanks for the quick reply!

Sorry if my explanation got a little muddled. I blame the ugly names ruining my writing flow. ha ha.

Despite my poorly worded question you understood it perfectly. Looks like the best option is the YNE3-RX.

Thanks!

37. Niels Gram 2 years ago

The YNE3-RT does not talk to the 603 at all so this is a no-go.
    The YNE3-RX has a PC Sync output and the Godox QT 300 has a sync input so this should be OK. Are you happy with your Super Fast 300 ? Do you run it mains powered or maybe powered by an inverter like e.g. the Vagabond Mini ?

• Max 2 years ago

Hey,

Yeah, I’m pretty happy with it. I have some bownes gemini 500 Pro’s and there are some obvious differences in build quality but I’m willing to let that slide given the added features you gain.

My main issues with it are 1) the power adjustment is no way near as precise as the Bowens, which I believe is adjusted in 1/10th steps. 2) I hate the tilting mechanism and screw for the light stand. Those are really my only issues but like I said, given the benefits, I think it’s acceptable.

38. Niels Gram 2 years ago

Thank you Max.
    Yesterday I tried to have my YNE3-RX wake my 580EX-II from powersave. It coulden’t 🙁

39. Eshan 2 years ago

hi i have a one yn 600 exrt and a third party ettl flash by altura. i own a canon 600d and intend to buy a yne3rt. will yne3rx work with my tp flash and link to provide ettl?
    p.s my flash does not support hss

Hi Eshan,

Sorry I’m not sure about this. You would need to search for user experience with the exact model flash you have, which may not be too easy to find.

The best option would be to try someone else YNE3-RX, or possibly try one from a store.

40. Gary 2 years ago

Does anyone know if the YN-E3-RX works on the Adorama Rovelight 600B? I have the YNE3RT transmitter on my canon. Will the RX on the Rovelight be able to do HyperSync?

Hi Gary,

Yes the YNE3-RX work with the Rovelight, and also the Godox Witstro for high shutter speeds. I haven’t really studied the results yet, though I’d say they are much the same as the YN-622C provide.

41. Malik Idrees 2 years ago

Hi, I am buying the godox wistro ad 360. I already have 2 canon 600ex-rt and canon s3-rt. will this reciever be able to work for me in setup where I want to use all 3 lights. and Do i need the godox ft16 transmitter to control power on godox 360 remotely or the canon s3-rt can do it if kept on manual mode.
    And what else option is available as I do look forward to use HSS.

Hi Malik,

Yes the YNE3-RX receiver will work great in this set up combined with your Canon RT gear. You will still need to use the FT-16 transmitter in hand to control the power levels of the AD360 though as the YNE3-RX can not do that.

The H-mode HSS will work with the YNE3-RX and AD360, also in combination with your 600EX-RT in HSS as well.

The YNE3-RX is pretty much the best option when using the Canon RT gear as transmitter, and combining RT slave flashes.

• Andy 2 years ago

I have AD360 and canon 600ex-rt. I’ve just purchased YNE3-RX. You still need FT-16 to remotely adjust manual power on AD360. ST-E3-RT only trigger YNE3-RX (for using HSS) which connected to AD360 by PC sync cord. However, you can change power of other 600EX-RT by using ST-E3-RT on camera.

42. Jared 2 years ago

It would be nice if they used a 3.5mm jack instead of the PC connector.
    Then we could use a standard 3.5mm to 3.5mm cable to trigger studio strobes.

I really wish the PC connector would go away.

43. Bas 2 years ago

So any final verdict? I am trying to integrate older flashes (Yongnuo 568, 568II, 560 and canon 580exII) in a setup controlled by a YN-E3RT and including a YNB600EXRT. Would like to control it all from the YN-E3RT.

44. Niels Gram 2 years ago

The 560 can’t be controlled from the YNE3-RT. It can be fired using a YNE3-RX but the -RT system can’t control anything on the 560 flashes.

45. Kamil 2 years ago

Hello, I got one yne3-rt it’s work fine except test/release button. Is there any solution for it? I can’t release flash by this button and camera shutter when yn600ex-rt is mount on my 6d. My setup is canon 6d connected to yn600ex on receiver yne3-rx is canon 580EXII. Please let me know is there any chance to awake flashes by the test button of yne3-rx

46. Niels Gram 2 years ago

Disregarding the first -RX I had which was defective and was replaced by the ebay-seller, I’ve had two issues/glitches with it and my Canon 580II: I’ve had the -RX/580II end up in a mode where I could fire the flash by pressing the test button on the YNE3-RT but not by taking a picture with my 1DIV (on which the -RT was mounted) and I’ve been unable to wake the 580II from power saving. I’ve just updated my YNE3-RT to fw 1.20 hoping that it would solve the power save issue but now the -RX will not let the 580II go into power saving at all… this has nothing to do with the -RT fw upgrade since the 580II will not go into power saving at all when mounted on the -RX even if the -RT is turned off. Maybe there was a bad connection between the -RX and the 580II when I couldn’t get it to wake up. I don’t know.

47. Jerry 2 years ago

Hi flash. I have a specific question. I’m a Canon shooter with both the Canon and Yongnuo 600’s, as well as the triggers. I just bought a couple of Rovelight 600B’s. My question is this: Can you use the YNE3-RX receivers to light these strobes in HSS. I’d like to be able to integrate all of my lights together but also want to know if you specifically know that I can get HSS out of my Rovelights by triggering the YNE3-RX through my Yongnuo/Canon system. Thanks in advance.

48. Tim 2 years ago

I’m having an issue triggering the shutter on my Canon 5D MkIII with the yne3-rx. Using this device in hand, linked with the E3-RT on the camera that acts as a master to an off camera 600 ex flash. All channels and ids are set and working. I have the shutter cable attached to the camera from the e3-rt but I can’t get the camera to take a picture using the yne3-rx as a remote shutter release. Is the anything I’m doing wrong or missing in order to make this work.?

49. Opik 2 years ago

Is fully support for shanny sn-e3-rt and pixel mago? Any advice? Thanks

50. Francisco 2 years ago

Hi I have been all over the internet looking for answers. You guys seem very helpful, I’m hoping to get answers here.

I plan to get the YNE3-RT for my Nissin Di866 MK II. It should work. However, I also plan to buy 2 more for use with my YN560-II & YN560-IV. I know they only have one pin. But I’ve read in the YNE3-RT Manual that if a strobe is connected via PC SYNC Cord one can adjust the flash power remotely. I’m not sure if I am getting this right… Can anyone who’ve tested this please confirm?

Hi Francisco,

This is probably a bit late, though no, you can’t adjust the manual power levels of the YN-560 III or IV via the YNE3-RX, and an RT transmitter.

And unfortunately you can’t even fire them via another separate receiver like the YNE3-RX and still use their own radio mode so that you could use a YN560-TX transmitter to adjust their power levels.

If you did mean the YN560 II (not III), then its not possible to remotely control their power levels in any case.

If your wanting to use an RT master flash or transmitter on camera, you would likely be best to trade your current flashes for YN600EX-RT with the radio receivers built in. They’re around $100 now, and you’d be paying a bit for the YNE3-RX receiver otherwise anyway.

• Francisco 2 years ago